Notifications
Clear all

Should I Take Yaz Or Not?

MemberMember
(@sammycat)

Posted : 01/22/2015 2:55 pm

For the past week or so, I've ben going crazy scouring the entire web for Yaz reviews. Until now, I still don't know whether to take it or not. For the past month or so, I have been suffering from painful cysts on my chin. Those large freaking bumps with no head and take forever to heal. I read that acne on the chin indicates a hormonal problem and that Yaz can help. But the side effects are terrifying. And I'm particularly worried about the initial breakout. Is it possible to take Yaz without the initial breakout? How bad will it be? I just started a new job and cant afford to be covered in cysts for even a month!

What do you guys think? Is Yaz worth it? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/22/2015 3:32 pm

Can I ask how old u are? have u taken bcp before?

To be honest i almost tried yaz but opted for tane (because of my age etc)

BUT I really heard and rad such mixed reviews

For some it was a life saver..others had neg side effects

It seems ot take 3 mnths to kcik in....stinks but if u start experiencing neg side effects you could always stop

sorry I couldnt be more helpful!
gl

kim

sammycat liked
MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 01/22/2015 5:09 pm

I would try to balance your hormones naturally. You can usually get them tested by your doctor.

I don't think Yaz is the safest way to go.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yaz-yasmin-birth-control-pills-suspected-in-23-deaths-1.1302473

sammycat liked
MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/22/2015 9:31 pm

I would also like to know how old you are as I think age makes a difference when it comes to BCP. I took Yasmin (which I think is the same as Yaz but a bigger dose?) when I was 17 and I don't recall remember getting an initial break out. I was on it for about 4-5 months and it did help my skin though not 100% cleared, although I've never had cystic acne. The only reason I went off it was because I didn't have a need for contraception anymore and I had never meant to take it for my skin anyway. My skin stayed pretty much the same after that, no crazy breakouts or anything. I got some pretty weird side effects like intense cramps and rashes. :/

I'm on Diane now which has almost cleared my skin to 100% but I don't know what the consequences of going off that will be like since I'm 24 now.

sammycat liked
MemberMember
(@sammycat)

Posted : 01/23/2015 2:06 am

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I am 30 years old and have taken Accutane and BC pills before. I took accutane in my early 20s and it really did save my skin. Then I took Althea in my mid-20s for about 3 to 4 years. No issues there whatsoever and my skin remained clear. I just stopped this year because I moved to Dubai from the Philippines and they don't have Althea available here. Only Yaz and Yasmin. As I'm writing this, I just got another pimple pop up in my chin which makes me think it is really hormonal. I want to see a dermatologist but it's crazy expensive here so I'm still waiting on my insurance to see if it covers cortisone shots. In the meantime, should I give Yaz or Yasmin a try?

MemberMember
(@sammycat)

Posted : 01/23/2015 4:29 am

I would also like to know how old you are as I think age makes a difference when it comes to BCP. I took Yasmin (which I think is the same as Yaz but a bigger dose?) when I was 17 and I don't recall remember getting an initial break out. I was on it for about 4-5 months and it did help my skin though not 100% cleared, although I've never had cystic acne. The only reason I went off it was because I didn't have a need for contraception anymore and I had never meant to take it for my skin anyway. My skin stayed pretty much the same after that, no crazy breakouts or anything. I got some pretty weird side effects like intense cramps and rashes. :/

I'm on Diane now which has almost cleared my skin to 100% but I don't know what the consequences of going off that will be like since I'm 24 now.

Hey Dunedain, what was your experience like with Diane? Did you have an initial breakout? How long before it worked on you? It's SO frustrating not knowing which pill will get along with your body until you actually try them. :-(

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/23/2015 11:39 am

Yaz got a bad rap because of blood clots. However, if you don't have a history of this in your family, and you don't smoke, Yaz is about as safe as any other birth control. You just need to make sure you make the decision with your doctor. Note that any time you go on any birth control, they ask you these same questions about blood clots and whether or not you smoke, etc.

I've been on Yaz for about two weeks, and my boobs are like popping out of my bra.

MemberMember
(@sammycat)

Posted : 01/24/2015 7:11 am

Hey guys, after reading online for hours, I decided to just take Diane 35. It seems to have less chance of an initial breakout and it has the same components as Althea, the BC pills I took for years and which agreed with me. I really hate myself for stopping it! I am also adding 100 mg spironolactone a day. Where I live, both meds are sold over the counter with no prescription needeed so I am kind of nervous about self-medicating. Is anyone else on the same regimen? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/24/2015 10:08 am

Hey Dunedain, what was your experience like with Diane? Did you have an initial breakout? How long before it worked on you? It's SO frustrating not knowing which pill will get along with your body until you actually try them. :-(

Its actually hard for me to say how my initial breakout was because when I went on Diane, I was switching from Alesse which gave me pizza face! I didn't get a hideous breakout from Diane, but you do get more breakouts in the beginning. It took me a very long time (5.5months) to see results, but I've heard any pill really requires 6 months to see full results. It was like a cycle, breakout -> clear skin -> slightly better breakout -> slightly clearer skin, etc. Until one day it just stopped! Its kept me relatively clear but only with the epiduo topical. By itself it seems to still give me 1-2 small spots a month.