Notifications
Clear all

My First Post (Very Oily Skin)

MemberMember
(@mark50)

Posted : 12/21/2014 2:11 pm

Hey guys I'm new. 28 year old male. I will start with my background then go to the question. When I was 16 I went on Accutane for severe acne, I completed the cycle and had beautiful skin. That is up until about 2 years ago when I started getting acne here and there around my lips and nose, like one or two at a time. Long story short I freaked and ordered proactive. Problem is every since I got on proactive my face has stayed SUPER oily (wasn't a problem before) even now that I'm on the acne.org regimen a few hours after washing my face, it will be so oily people will ask me if I'm sweating. I highly believe proactive ruined my skin but that's besides the point. What can I do to calm this oil down between washes?

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 12/21/2014 4:17 pm

hmmm. So, weirdly my skin looks/ (gets?) oiler when it's dry. Does your skin feel dry or tight? If so, you might need to find a better moisturizer. They also sell oil blotting wipes at the drug store so you could try those too.

MemberMember
(@mark50)

Posted : 12/21/2014 4:59 pm

Well it doesn't help that I got a job where I had to start shaving every day which is when the one of two bumps started popping up around my nose/lips. My acne isn't that bad as I can deal with a few pimples. My problem is the super oily skin. As stated I've now been on the acne.org regimen for almost two weeks and I've used it as directed down to a tee (except maybe missing a night or two due to being busy) so I'm using the moisturizer included in the "kit". My skin does feel a lot better, but the oil hasn't subsided hardly at all if any. Maybe I should pick up some of the oil wipes and try that out.

MemberMember
(@geminirock19)

Posted : 12/22/2014 3:20 pm

Mark50, So you are not going through the super drying, flaky part of the regimen? Odd because usually it starts out so drying and hardly any oil at all, until the end of the day or something.. Hmm!

Have you tried Vitamin A pills? I hear they can reduce oil.

Also, I can personally recommend Olay's foaming face wash for oily/combination skin. Used as the face wash with the regimen. It controls my oil like a beast! That mixed with some oil blotting wipes might be the key.

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 12/24/2014 12:09 am

please please be careful using vitamin A pills. Vitamin A is lipid soluble and as such, you retain it in your body instead of washing it out in your urine. It can have toxic effects if you OD on it. Like destroying your liver.

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 12/24/2014 12:52 am

Apparently proactiv is super drying in itself, on top of its main active ingredient, benzoyl peroxide which is also quite drying. So in a way, it has the ability to make your skin produce more oil to counteract what proactiv may be doing.

Zinc is also god for oily skin, perhaps try a zinc supplement?

MemberMember
(@mark50)

Posted : 12/24/2014 5:06 am

Thanks for the replies guys. No my face didn't go through the super dry part of the regimen. I'm guessing because my skin was already used to the BP that I've been using for 2 years in form of a spot treatment. Vitamin A sounds good as well and I've read about it on here but taking any kind of supplements or anything like that just freak me out even the ones that shouldn't lol. If u knew me though you would know I won't even take a Tylenol for a headache. Again thanks for the help and sry for being difficult to help. I'm more looking for a cream or wash. I'll give olays foam wash a try

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 12/26/2014 12:52 am

Thanks for the replies guys. No my face didn't go through the super dry part of the regimen. I'm guessing because my skin was already used to the BP that I've been using for 2 years in form of a spot treatment. Vitamin A sounds good as well and I've read about it on here but taking any kind of supplements or anything like that just freak me out even the ones that shouldn't lol. If u knew me though you would know I won't even take a Tylenol for a headache. Again thanks for the help and sry for being difficult to help. I'm more looking for a cream or wash. I'll give olays foam wash a try

The acne.org moisturizer has oil in it, so that could be the issue?

MemberMember
(@mark50)

Posted : 12/26/2014 1:53 am

I can't blame the acne.org regimen because like I said from 1-10 my face 4 hours after washing was a 10 oily. Now after being on the acne.org regimen it's like maybe a 7 or 8. Although it didn't fix my oil problem it has help a small bit. I'm happy to say it has (for now) completely cleared my face from the 2-5 bumps I kept around my mouth/nose area