Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Done Short-Term (6Months) Low-Dose Accutane?

MemberMember
(@glitznzitz)

Posted : 05/09/2014 2:27 pm

Hi guys,

I am fed up with acne and having to use so many products to keep my skin decent. I feel like I am a slave to my very intense skincare, supplement, and diet regimen. I'm moving internationally and plan on doing a lot of traveling and really don't want to spend an hour or more a day on my skin. As you know, acne is shattering when you're trying to just live your life and have fun. My acne is pretty well controlled by my insane regimen of prescription topicals (AM: cerave, prescription sulfer, aczone, bb cream pm: cerave with clarisonic, sulfer wash, wait half-hour, atralin, supplements, wash all my makeup brushes, using a clean washcloth to dry and pillowcase every night) but i still get some pretty bad cysts, about one-two a month recently, and they just make me miserable. If i weren't doing all that stuff i'd be a cystic wreck, as years of Yaz have completely, and i believe permanently, thrown my hormones out of whack. I dont eat dairy, minimize sugar, and have determined that gluten is not an aggravating factor. I dream of a life when i'm not constantly worrying about my skin--and I'm willing to take the risk of accutane to be free from that worry. kind of.

Has anyone tried a low dose of accutane for 4-12 months with success? I'm scared of the side effects given how much yaz affected my health. I'm not looking to take it indefinitely like some people on here do, just 10-20mg for 4-12 months. I have heard this is more popular outside the US and can result in permanent clearance based on some studies I found, but I'm looking for real life experiences on here. What side effects did you encounter? did you achieve long-term remission? Thanks so much in advance!

For reference, I am 25 and weigh 112.

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 05/09/2014 8:19 pm

Birth control can and will cause a permanent "new" case of acne. Not always, but often. Mine has never gone away from my birth control. I will regret taking that stuff till the day I die, I guess. It gave me cystic acne...when before I just had whiteheads and stuff. I took the Nuvaring but most birth controls do the same ( thus the whole you get acne after you're off of them thing).

I'm surprised how many of us stupidly jump on it when doctors prescribe it. It's a decision I wish I could go back in time and slap myself for. Then of course they wanna prescribe us Accutane to fix THAT. Accutane will kill the heck out of hormonal acne too...but it's a rough drug. I'll give you an honest opinion of my research ( I've researched Accutane for two years now). I don't think I can sue the Nuvaring makers for acne, although I wish I could.

I would say honestly it's a pretty dangerous drug, and has a chance you may end up with permanent side effects--it's a risk like any other drug, but Accutane is considered a very dangerous drug ( otherwise, why would it be regulated so heavily, regardless of the birth defects?) which is why I didn't take it myself. Instead, I've decided to try and find a way to remedy what birth control did to me..the best I can or see if I have an underlying condition that the birth control triggered, which for me personally is likely. But it's a looong road of diagnosis, trust me. Also Accutane it can affect the parathyroid glands (WARNING: NOT THYROID, PARATHYROID) ( look it up to those who keep disagreeing with me, it drives up calcium levels in cancer patients ) and what not.

For some this may be a temporary thing. For vulnerable others ( probably through genetics ) it may affect them permanently. It's more likely than not from what I've seen to cause you side effects, but it doesn't mean it'll be permanent. It's just a risk and or gamble. The biggest issue I would watch out for as a warning on the drug is it's ability to sometimes drive up sugar levels. I'm not sure the rarity of this...it's probably rare. But that's what turned me off to it. This is just what I think anyway. You'll hear a million different opinions on this. I'm in the same position as you but afraid to touch something like that.

MemberMember
(@glitznzitz)

Posted : 05/09/2014 9:18 pm

thanks, elkhoundgold. i really do think drs. should have to say, "this might give you cystic acne FOR LIFE" when handing out birth control... it also made me lose about 1/3 of my hair when i went off it, so i got to be bald and zitty. hot stuff, let me tell you. I've read so much about the side effects, but that's why i'm looking into low-dose...they're starting to think the 40-60mg doses are overkill, and the same effect can be acheived with a lower dose over a slightly longer time, which intrigues me. i can deal with the minor effects like dry skin and whatever, but the rest scares me.

MemberMember
(@aoe2)

Posted : 05/10/2014 9:34 am

I can totally relate and am about to start low dose too. I have "mild" acne but my regimen including topical retinoid takes lots of time, effort, and actually doesn't help that much. I just want to live like any other mid 20s person and not think about my skin all the time, or how this or that will affect my skin, etc. and am willing to take the gamble with 20mg/day x 6 months to a year.

I am also a very busy medical student, so I have personal and professional reasons to want clear skin too, to look like a mature serious professional etc. etc.

If you look up the scientific literature on PubMed, you'll see it has recently become very popular to put ppl on 20mg/day for 6 months as a treatment for mild-moderate acne, at least internationally. In the US, the FDA says you shoudln't give Accutane for mild-moderate acne so docs don't do it as much (they still do).

Accutane may indeed have permanent side effects (bone growth abnormalities, permanent dry skin/eyes) but the risk is worth it to some ppl

MemberMember
(@glitznzitz)

Posted : 05/10/2014 11:07 am

AOE2, thanks for your reply. Are you planning on keeping a log? I'd love to hear about your experience and results. I probably won't be starting till I move to Ireland in a couple of months since you don't have to go through the whole rigamarole with iPledge there. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@guzzi33)

Posted : 05/11/2014 8:35 pm

I have been suffering with moderate acne for the last year or so. As well as most people on here, tried everything on the market without success.

I went to a Derm and he prescribed me a low dose Oratane -(Australina Accutane) 20mg everyday, 40mg Mon, Wed, Fri.

Im just starting my third month and have seen a massive improvement. I didnt really get an initial breakout because of the low dose, as from my understanding the lower dosage lowers side effects. The only ones i have are dry lips and my arms are starting to get slightly dry. My face hasnt got over dry or flaky like most people on accutane say.

Before i went on Oratane my skin and self esteem were a mess. This medication has given me hope and confidence again! There is a light a the end of the tunnel!

I was sick of spending money on topicals and treatments that were only making things worse, and not giving me any hope that things would get better.

If you are over it, and your acne isnt improving, i would say go on a low dose like me. I have no regrets with it, and Im already half way through treatment. It goes so fast!

Good luck with your skin, and if you have any questions happy to help!

MemberMember
(@courtneyeileenn)

Posted : 05/12/2014 1:58 pm

I've been taking Accutane since January and I have had some amazing results. I stopped taking it at the beginning of May and that makes about four months. They started me at 40 then 60 then they bumped it up to 80 and it wasn't that bad just had a really dry lips and I had to drink a lot of water.. I have bleach blonde hair, and the no dying hair while on it is a myth. I had lower back pain towarda the end, but I don't know if that's because of my car accident!