Notifications
Clear all

Cortisone Injection On Jawline Cyst, Red Scalp/scar After 2 Weeks And It Still Hurts.. I'm Concerned Please Help

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 02/15/2014 7:28 pm

Hi guys,

I got a few cortisone injections on my jawline cysts as well as some pimples on my face. It worked great on my regular pimples but not so well on the cysts that formed during Accutane.

I had 2 types of cysts on my right jawline, one of them has been persistently forming there on and off for 2 years. The other one formed during accutane, which hurts. I got injections for these and it seems like it doesn't work on both. I still have the 2 year old cyst, bumpy and might be ever worse than b4 the injection. And now the cyst that formed during Accutane has red scar that hasn't gone away and it hurts when I try to 'stretch' it or press against it.

This is how it looks like

1624182_10152595866782166_2062746948_n.j

Any ideas on what kind of scar is this?

There's no more bump underneath that cyst, but I still have that weird scar... it's been over 2 weeks now..

Thanks

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/15/2014 8:10 pm

It's too early to tell if it's actually a scar--it's likely healing.

Go back to the derm if the pain and inflammation is overwhelming.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 02/17/2014 12:27 am

I dont even know what the heck it is. Its not even a scar. Its like a wound but its been over 2 weeks!! Its not healing .. So weird

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/17/2014 3:09 am

If it becomes a scar, it'll likely be hypertrophic.

MemberMember
(@niftystranger)

Posted : 02/17/2014 11:45 am

Remember, Accutane slows down the healing process. Be patient.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/17/2014 12:06 pm

i have not been on accutane but when i would get injections, some of the cysts had to have injected 3 times before they went down. i would call and tell them what is going on so that you can get an appointment right away!

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 02/19/2014 6:42 pm

i have not been on accutane but when i would get injections, some of the cysts had to have injected 3 times before they went down. i would call and tell them what is going on so that you can get an appointment right away!

But what happens to this red wound/scar? There's no cyst underneath it, literally just the wound. It would scab, dry out, peels off, bleed a bit, and repeat the whole cycle again. I don't want this to turn into something cancerous 🙁 lol. Maybe I should ask my derm for a cream or something?

Remember, Accutane slows down the healing process. Be patient.

Ugh yeah I have 1 1/2 month left, and oh trust me about being patient while on Accutane

for 5 months I looked 10x worse than pre- Accutane and after months of not seeing results I was almost giving up, but finally I stopped breaking out just a few weeks ago 🙂

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/20/2014 9:35 am

what i would do is i would call the derm and tell them what is going on and then make an appointment to be seen right away. i am sure its not cancerous or anything but you should get it checked out. that way you know what it is and how it can be treated. i am sure they can give you something to help with it.

i just assumed it was still a cyst but if its totally flat then its not a cyst. anyway go and get it checked out.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 02/24/2014 9:19 am

what i would do is i would call the derm and tell them what is going on and then make an appointment to be seen right away. i am sure its not cancerous or anything but you should get it checked out. that way you know what it is and how it can be treated. i am sure they can give you something to help with it.

i just assumed it was still a cyst but if its totally flat then its not a cyst. anyway go and get it checked out.

My next appointment is on the 27th, so 3 more days. I'm so anxious. Exacty a month after the shot, the wound still looks like on the picture. Im so paranoid right now. What the hell kind of wound wont heal in a month despite accutane? All of the other cysts he injected healed, but not this one.

Im sooooo worried. It'll scar big time i bet. F MY LIFE 🙁

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/24/2014 10:15 am

dont be too worried i have heard about healing taking a lot longer while on accutane and i have seen pics that look like that. i think its just a cyst that has healed really poorly so i am sure it will go away in time. it doesnt look like it will indent so once it is gone i think you will just be left with a red mark. thats ok though because that mark will eventually go away. ask the derm if there is anything she can give you to help speed up the healing and that you are worried about how things are going.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 03/03/2014 8:08 pm

dont be too worried i have heard about healing taking a lot longer while on accutane and i have seen pics that look like that. i think its just a cyst that has healed really poorly so i am sure it will go away in time. it doesnt look like it will indent so once it is gone i think you will just be left with a red mark. thats ok though because that mark will eventually go away. ask the derm if there is anything she can give you to help speed up the healing and that you are worried about how things are going.

Ok update:

So I went to the dermatologist last week.

He gave me another injection on the 2 year old cyst, it's been 4 days and I don't think it works at all.. I think I might suggest him an incision on that cyst.

As for that red scabby wound, he told me that Accutane makes everything heal slower. Simple as that. But I still wonder why this particular wound? is it because he shot it the wrong way and he didn't wanna feel guilty or something?

My wound is still big, if not a bit more irritated and redder. Sometimes it hurts to touch, like it stings

I'm not satisfied with his answer. I need to find out more..

Sigh..

This is too weird

It's been a month and a week and it looks exactly the same if not worse wtf?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/04/2014 1:49 pm

so are you sure that 2 year old cyst is really a cyst? did the derm say it was a cyst? normally cortisone works pretty well on those things even if you would have needed a few shots to get rid of it, it should have flattened out at least a little bit with each shot. i am just wondering if that is a hypertrohpic scar instead of a cyst but if it is a cyst and keeps recurring they can usually excise them. you would want to go to a reputable derm to get that done though to make sure that you arent left with a big scar or anything.

accutane does make the healing go very slow while you are on it so maybe once your course is done then the healing will go a bit faster for you.

things still look the same today?

if you are not satisfied then go see another derm for a 2nd opinion but i dont know what else they can do for you at this point besides give you some antibiotics or prednisone to help calm things down but even then most times they dont want to do that.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 03/07/2014 2:27 am

so are you sure that 2 year old cyst is really a cyst? did the derm say it was a cyst? normally cortisone works pretty well on those things even if you would have needed a few shots to get rid of it, it should have flattened out at least a little bit with each shot. i am just wondering if that is a hypertrohpic scar instead of a cyst but if it is a cyst and keeps recurring they can usually excise them. you would want to go to a reputable derm to get that done though to make sure that you arent left with a big scar or anything.

accutane does make the healing go very slow while you are on it so maybe once your course is done then the healing will go a bit faster for you.

things still look the same today?

if you are not satisfied then go see another derm for a 2nd opinion but i dont know what else they can do for you at this point besides give you some antibiotics or prednisone to help calm things down but even then most times they dont want to do that.

Yes I'm 100% sure.

2 derms have confirmed it as a cyst. I mean it's obvious. It started out as a flat cyst. I used to do facials in 2012. The lady tried to pop it, she said she did. It came back, and its stayed there ever since. It's frustrating

Anyways the bright side is, my face is 'clear' now. By that I mean clear of actives. I still have alot of redness/scars. Hopefully they're not icepicks.

The wound is still there too, but its getting A BIT better. Im not sure.

I will be extremely worried if it still looks like that after I'm done with the treatment.. I'm just hoping for the best right now

Do you know how long it will take for these scars to go away after accutane?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/07/2014 10:35 am

well thats good that its just a cyst then. if it doesnt go away after your accutane course then you will probably need to have it excised. i would keep getting injections done for it though to see if that will eventually get rid of it. i would only do excision as the last option.

so glad your skin is clear now though that is so awesome! the redness will fade in time but it could take up to a year or longer. if i dont get ipl's for my red marks they take years to go away. i hate those stupid red marks but they are so much better than scars so i would take them any day of the week.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 03/11/2014 3:31 pm

well thats good that its just a cyst then. if it doesnt go away after your accutane course then you will probably need to have it excised. i would keep getting injections done for it though to see if that will eventually get rid of it. i would only do excision as the last option.

so glad your skin is clear now though that is so awesome! the redness will fade in time but it could take up to a year or longer. if i dont get ipl's for my red marks they take years to go away. i hate those stupid red marks but they are so much better than scars so i would take them any day of the week.

Thanks alot tracy you've been so helpful!

I'm happy to say that the wound is slowly diminishing, but that's always better than no progress! The 2 year old cyst feels flatter and smaller now, but i still feel it there. It's weird cause when I push the cyst, i don't feel like there's any puss in it. Oh gosh 1 year for the redness to go away? 🙁 I guess I'm gonna look like shit for my graduation then lol

But overall, i'm so happy to say (hopefully i wont jinx it) that i haven't broken out in a month!! That's crazy. Accutane really does wonders despite the frustrating side effects and scars.

What kind of scar treatments would you recommend for me that is affordable and effective?

Do you think tanning will help reduce the visibility of the scars?

Thanks once again!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/12/2014 8:16 am

hey glad things are looking up for you! that is great news. i bet in time that wound will go away just try to be positive about everything and know that its all going to work out just fine. yeah some people are lucky and their red marks go away in a few months but i think thats only if the acne is not very inflamed and others have their marks take years to go away. you wont look like crap for your graduation you will have nice clear skin so just remember that. as far as i know i think you arent supposed to do any skin treatments for at least 6 months after accutane so you wont be able to do anything for a while which sucks i know but you need to give your skin time to heal. i would also advise not to go tanning either because it will just make those marks stick around longer. the best thing you can do right now is just put sunscreen on your face everyday and then in the future you can think about getting either ipl's or doing chemical peels etc. i like ipl's the best though because they only zap the red marks so they dont do your entire face and there really isnt a downtime so its just much easier all the way around. i pay from $130 (spot treatment for 10 spots) or $300 for full face and i usually do 2-3 in a row to get rid of my marks. it all depends on how many passes they do and the setting that they use as well. when its time i would go see a few different doctors or derms and see what they say and go from there.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 03/12/2014 11:44 pm

hey glad things are looking up for you! that is great news. i bet in time that wound will go away just try to be positive about everything and know that its all going to work out just fine. yeah some people are lucky and their red marks go away in a few months but i think thats only if the acne is not very inflamed and others have their marks take years to go away. you wont look like crap for your graduation you will have nice clear skin so just remember that. as far as i know i think you arent supposed to do any skin treatments for at least 6 months after accutane so you wont be able to do anything for a while which sucks i know but you need to give your skin time to heal. i would also advise not to go tanning either because it will just make those marks stick around longer. the best thing you can do right now is just put sunscreen on your face everyday and then in the future you can think about getting either ipl's or doing chemical peels etc. i like ipl's the best though because they only zap the red marks so they dont do your entire face and there really isnt a downtime so its just much easier all the way around. i pay from $130 (spot treatment for 10 spots) or $300 for full face and i usually do 2-3 in a row to get rid of my marks. it all depends on how many passes they do and the setting that they use as well. when its time i would go see a few different doctors or derms and see what they say and go from there.

Do you think these scars can fade away without laser treatments or chemical peels?

I really don't wanna spend a fortune on healing these scars. I wish they can go away naturally..

Anyways, this wound is pretty bipolar. somedays its ok some days it gets bumpy and irritated. but at least it's dry now, not an open wound anymore. but still looks like it. It's like when you pinch a wound/pimple, it'll form into a bumpy skin and it's like that now.

Ugh I took some pics for the yearbook and my acne scars are visible it 's so sad..

but w/e

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/13/2014 8:17 am

i dont know only time will tell on that front. you have to wait the 6 months after accutane anyway to do anything so i would just wait until that time comes and then if they are still there and they bother you then you can decide what to do. i like the ipl's because they are not laser and work so well and fast.

that wound does sound strange but i do think it should go away at some point since the derm said it was not a scar. just try to hang in there and know that everything will be ok in time. that sucks about the yearbook photo but if all you have is red marks then you will be just fine. those arent even scars just hyperpigmentation.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 04/03/2014 2:27 pm

i dont know only time will tell on that front. you have to wait the 6 months after accutane anyway to do anything so i would just wait until that time comes and then if they are still there and they bother you then you can decide what to do. i like the ipl's because they are not laser and work so well and fast.

that wound does sound strange but i do think it should go away at some point since the derm said it was not a scar. just try to hang in there and know that everything will be ok in time. that sucks about the yearbook photo but if all you have is red marks then you will be just fine. those arent even scars just hyperpigmentation.

Hey tracy,

I just talked to my derm today and It's my last accutane monthly appointment. He extended it to 7 months since i was still breaking out in month 4-5. I have not broken out since beginning of month 5 (he injected 2 pimples on my forehead and one i think on my cheek i forgot, but after those injections I haven't broken out), which is great news! I have never been this clear since I first started getting acne, which was way before my teenage years (I was maybe 10-11 when I first got small pimples). So it's pretty miraculous how I haven't gotten any breakouts. Knock on wood, I tend to jinx things, and I know it won't be permanent (I've read so many setbacks stories from accutane users so I've lost my hope on getting permanent fix basically lol),but I hope this result will last long..

Anyways, back on my cyst.. The 2 year old cyst is still there.. despite getting injected twice.. Well today he injected it once more, despite me asking him if he wanted to incise it. So he injected it again, it's still bumpy so I doubt it'll do anything.. so whatever.. Maybe if it ever grows big, ill def force him to incise it lol, but it doesn't really bother me now.

Unfortunately, the cyst that formed during accutane, the one that looks really red on the pic, he said the redness will go away but the indentation won't. Apparently I have indentation on that cyst, but I never really noticed it..

So yea I guess in conclusion, Accutane has done wonders on my face but of course has done some damage too (well only the small indentation).

But overall I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm just hoping these redness and scars will go away after I took my last pill.. I need a clear face by the end of spring!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/04/2014 9:07 am

hey! it sounds like things are looking up for you which is awesome news! i bet you cant wait to be done with accutane!

how does the injected cyst look today? it is amazing that it hasnt gone done much yet. is the derm injecting it with kenalog? i wonder if 5-FU would work better? yeah if its not bothering you right now then just leave it and see if it goes down any in the next few months. i am sure the doctor doesnt want to remove it now since you are still on the accutane and it would affect your healing.

as far as the other cyst goes once the redness is gone you wont notice the indent as much and who knows it could fill in a bit you look pretty young so that can only help you in this situation.

yeah if you only have the one indent then consider yourself very very lucky becuase it could be way worse that is for sure. it sounds like you are in a good place so that is great news and you can enjoy your spring/summer!

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/21/2014 12:48 am

hey! it sounds like things are looking up for you which is awesome news! i bet you cant wait to be done with accutane!

how does the injected cyst look today? it is amazing that it hasnt gone done much yet. is the derm injecting it with kenalog? i wonder if 5-FU would work better? yeah if its not bothering you right now then just leave it and see if it goes down any in the next few months. i am sure the doctor doesnt want to remove it now since you are still on the accutane and it would affect your healing.

as far as the other cyst goes once the redness is gone you wont notice the indent as much and who knows it could fill in a bit you look pretty young so that can only help you in this situation.

yeah if you only have the one indent then consider yourself very very lucky becuase it could be way worse that is for sure. it sounds like you are in a good place so that is great news and you can enjoy your spring/summer!

Hey tracy!

Just to give you some update

My cysts are still there.. yup even Accutane doesnt help with these.

I actually think it could be an sinus track infection, I saw some youtube videos and found something very similar to my cyst. The only way to get rid of them is basically to have it surgically cut open. The red scar is still there, less visible but still red, and bumpy.

My face has been clear since I've been off Tane for 3 months now. I got some small blackheads forming on my nose but other than that, it's clear! My face is getting kinda oily again but not as bad as it used to be. My ears are extremely oily though. No more ear / back/shoulder acne.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 08/21/2014 8:19 am

wow thats crazy. it sounds more like scarring to me if they havent gone away yet but yeah excision sounds like a good plan if cortisone didnt do the trick but then again they do have lasers that help to remove the redness and bulkiness so you could try that option first if you had the extra cash.

i am so glad you have clear skin though. how are those red marks? they fading some? you start back to school yet?

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/21/2014 9:48 pm

wow thats crazy. it sounds more like scarring to me if they havent gone away yet but yeah excision sounds like a good plan if cortisone didnt do the trick but then again they do have lasers that help to remove the redness and bulkiness so you could try that option first if you had the extra cash.

i am so glad you have clear skin though. how are those red marks? they fading some? you start back to school yet?

Hey!

Yeah, ugh this derm should be held responsible for making such a deep scar on my jawline.. and now i have this red bump.. while it's not visible when I take pictures straight forward, if I turn my head to the side, you can see some redness on my jawline... which I really hate.

So in total, I have 1 medium sized cyst (the 2 year old one), the red scar bump (has no cyst, just a bump), and 2 small bumps (just like the 2 year old one, but less bumpy).

I mean they're bumpy but they're flat.. idk how to describe it. It feels like there's no puss in it .. Maybe there is but it's deep down. It's like I cant squeeze it out on my own.

The red marks on my cheeks are definitely calming down. I only have a few 'brown spots' on my right cheek, and when i say brown, it's because my skin is light that it appears brownish. But those are very light, nothing to worry about. It's still annoying though. I'm sure I just need some tan and some microdermabrasion to get things smoothened out.

I graduated in May and now I'm doing an internship haha, starting a new one next week!

and btw, this girl has exactly what I have, the cysts on our jawline are the same (hers is worse I think).

skip to 4:20

even her derm suggests incision, but she doesnt wanna do it.

I wanna do it though lol