Notifications
Clear all

Scars On Face And Blemishes

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/26/2013 10:24 pm

Hi folks,

I'm 42 now. I had a bad acne breakout from 14 until 30. My parents sent me to a skin care I think when I was 16. If I remember the name of the clinic, it's DermHaus. I think this is what really ruined my face. What can I do, I didn't know that time and there was no good information back in 1980s. I seldom get pimples now, only when I stay late like 4am for 3 days but it's not as bad like before.

So, I have so many friggin scars. I think it's gets emphasized more if my face gets more fat. I'm a very fit guy, I work out 5 times a week. I also see some discoloration like some not-so dark brown. I can see it on pictures. I also have one spot like 3mm in diameter where it's brown and has been there for years. It's also not level as my normal skin. My father's face, I can't believe, is so smooth. I got this from my mother and most likely from the food that was given to me back when I was young.

I was told many many years ago that I should try dermabrasion. Not sure if this is obsolete now. I'm not really sure how to restore my old skin. I've also tried roller. I forgot the name. I bought it on ebay. Wife told me that my skin improved. However, there was this part of skin about 1 inch below the eyes(I think it's called cheek bone), she said it's fattened. I stopped using it.

What should I do? It affects me when talking to people. I feel like they're looking at it. I'll try to post a picture of my affected cheek.

Thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/27/2013 3:55 pm

Since I didn't get any responses from this thread, I started reading other posts. After reading different posts, I got so convinced with lactic acid peel. I just ordered a 3oz from Amazon. Hopefully it will work. I'll keep you posted after a month. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/27/2013 4:23 pm

I was just reading another thread and he/she was asking what type of scars he/she has. Someone responded with ice picks. The person who responded also said he has box scars. So I got curious what box scars is. I looked at images.google.com and saw it. That's what I have too. :(

Can lactic acid peel reduce it?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/27/2013 5:06 pm

no peel is gonna get rid of it

you need to go to a facial cosmetic surgeon

MemberMember
(@wrocky)

Posted : 12/27/2013 6:00 pm

Do you have any pictures, we cant help you much without pictures.

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/27/2013 6:34 pm

I just took pics but I can't upload using windows phone. I'll upload once I get home.

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/27/2013 8:37 pm

Here it is folks. I've had these for many years. I was hoping that over time, skin color will be equal on all parts of face but I was wrong. I have tons of blemishes which were caused by acnes and pimples. You'll also see my box scars. I'm really sad about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-367854-0-02406700-1388194615.jpg

post-367854-0-32505100-1388194617.jpg

post-367854-0-37290300-1388194620.jpg

post-367854-0-02406700-1388194615.jpg

post-367854-0-32505100-1388194617.jpg

post-367854-0-37290300-1388194620.jpg

MemberMember
(@wrocky)

Posted : 12/27/2013 9:02 pm

Here it is folks. I've had these for many years. I was hoping that over time, skin color will be equal on all parts of face but I was wrong. I have tons of blemishes which were caused by acnes and pimples. You'll also see my box scars. I'm really sad about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have some scars that are similar to yours, where are you from? If you are from the UK, I can recommend Recell therapy (Spray on skin, combined with Laser or dermabrasion) which I am considering for my scars, also I will go and see Dr.Tapan Patel, he got good reviews and a lot of treatments available at his clinic, so hopefully he will be more objective on what could work for my scars, unlike few other doctors that only got lasers and are pushing for their miracle laser, saying that it will work for everyone/everything as we can see on Realself.com

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/27/2013 9:28 pm

No home remedies? I was thinking that once lactic acid peel corrects the discoloration, the scar will be less noticeable. I will continue using my derma roller because I am very sure, it helped. I just noticed on my picture that my scars aren't that deep anymore compared few years ago.

I've also noticed, my face always have that red like irritated. Why is it like this? It never goes away, sigh!

MemberMember
(@igotyouu)

Posted : 12/27/2013 10:45 pm

Look into Retin-a, my friend. It will most definitly make your skin look more healthy. It will not dimish your scars, but since you're also asking for remedies to affect the overall look and discolouration/redness it's worth trying. Just be sure to use a moisturizer as it can dry up your skin pretty bad. The first couple of weeks it will irritate your skin and might leave a little burning sensation when applying/the first few minutes after, but when your skin "adjusts" to it it will go smooth. It's a prescreption drug so you have to talk to your derm. I would suggest starting at 0,025 and then work your way up.

If your skin gets to irritated/red - take a break from using it for 2-3 days then start up again. You can also start by applying it to your skin every 3rd day, then after 2 weeks move onto every 2nd day and so on.

Remember to use sunscreen too, especially after dermarolling. TCA peels would be an option too, but I would not recommend trying that at home.

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/27/2013 11:23 pm

Look into Retin-a, my friend. It will most definitly make your skin look more healthy. It will not dimish your scars, but since you're also asking for remedies to affect the overall look and discolouration/redness it's worth trying. Just be sure to use a moisturizer as it can dry up your skin pretty bad. The first couple of weeks it will irritate your skin and might leave a little burning sensation when applying/the first few minutes after, but when your skin "adjusts" to it it will go smooth. It's a prescreption drug so you have to talk to your derm. I would suggest starting at 0,025 and then work your way up.

If your skin gets to irritated/red - take a break from using it for 2-3 days then start up again. You can also start by applying it to your skin every 3rd day, then after 2 weeks move onto every 2nd day and so on.

Remember to use sunscreen too, especially after dermarolling. TCA peels would be an option too, but I would not recommend trying that at home.

I do have Retin-A here. I'm very sure it works because I tried it back in the 80s. Last year, I've finished one small Retin-A but didn't do a thing. Not sure what I did back then which made it work. I still have another Retin-A and it's bigger. Mine is 0.25%. I'm wondering why I'm not feeling any burning when I apply it. I remember the first time I used it, (80s), I felt that burning feeling. I used it last night and it's been like 6 months ago that I last used it. I didn't feel any burning. However, if you look at my pics above, looks like the redness was caused by Retin-A.

Was it a waste of money that I bought Lactic Acid peel? It's only $14 including shipping.

MemberMember
(@325world)

Posted : 12/28/2013 7:17 am

I do have Retin-A here. I'm very sure it works because I tried it back in the 80s. Last year, I've finished one small Retin-A but didn't do a thing. Not sure what I did back then which made it work. I still have another Retin-A and it's bigger. Mine is 0.25%. I'm wondering why I'm not feeling any burning when I apply it. I remember the first time I used it, (80s), I felt that burning feeling. I used it last night and it's been like 6 months ago that I last used it. I didn't feel any burning. However, if you look at my pics above, looks like the redness was caused by Retin-A.

Was it a waste of money that I bought Lactic Acid peel? It's only $14 including shipping.

Yep, it was a waste, time to get real. You need fraxel re:pair. I still don't think your scars are very severe, compared to the spectrum of scar-sufferers, but to improve them you need to hit hard.

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/28/2013 7:44 am

Will do when I get extra $$. Btw, I was wrong when I mentioned 0.25%. My tretinoin is only 0.05%. Is this weak?

I think the discoloration of my skin on the face is what makes the scars look so bad. I'll have to find a picture because I know it's severe than the one I posted. Maybe the picture I posted is soft.

MemberMember
(@325world)

Posted : 12/28/2013 7:53 am

Will do when I get extra $$. Btw, I was wrong when I mentioned 0.25%. My tretinoin is only 0.05%. Is this weak?

I think the discoloration of my skin on the face is what makes the scars look so bad. I'll have to find a picture because I know it's severe than the one I posted. Maybe the picture I posted is soft.

I don't know much about retin-a and haven't started it.

Yes, you don't need to show me, I have the exact same problem like almost everyone here. They tend to look passable in the morning (if you haven't touched it all night), but as you go through the day and contact is made with the face, they can get much worse.

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/28/2013 2:12 pm

I have tons of tiny blood spots all over my face!!!

It's because I just finished using my derma roller. :)

I think the last time I used it was a year ago.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/28/2013 4:38 pm

use retin a max strength 0.1 and for your current one use it every night if you arent seeing improvements you need to use it more often

it looks like you have sagging skin/wrinkles so use retin a to smooth out your skin and also help wrinkles for about 2 months or so

MemberMember
(@farrison-hord)

Posted : 12/28/2013 6:12 pm

While retin a can make your skin look "nicer", it wont do anything for those scars, nor will a lactic peel. I don't really see a whole lot of discolouration to be honest. In my opinion lasers and/or surgery are the only thing that will fix those. I would go for lasers (repair, mixto) in your case as each individual scar is not severe, but they cover a large area. Dont listen to "snake oil" remedies if you want to actually fix them.

MemberMember
(@aznkid77)

Posted : 12/28/2013 9:07 pm

Strongest available is 0.1%. I think you mean 0.025.

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/29/2013 12:03 am

use retin a max strength 0.1 and for your current one use it every night if you arent seeing improvements you need to use it more often

it looks like you have sagging skin/wrinkles so use retin a to smooth out your skin and also help wrinkles for about 2 months or so

Yes, I noticed the skin sagging 2 years ago. It only started when I was put to sleep(general anethesia) for removal of two impacted tooth. My wife took a picture of me while I was seated on a wheelchair but still sleeping. I noticed my face was sagging so badly. I was really shocked why it became like that. Not sure if the injection on my gums caused it. I think I have many fats on my face. I'll try to lower my calorie intake. I remember it reduced when I was doing a lot of cardio.

Today, I noticed skin flaking. Looks like 0.05 is working. How many times a week should I use 0.1?

Strongest available is 0.1%. I think you mean 0.025.

What I have is 0.05%.

MemberMember
(@sadcozofscars)

Posted : 12/29/2013 12:20 am

While retin a can make your skin look "nicer", it wont do anything for those scars, nor will a lactic peel. I don't really see a whole lot of discolouration to be honest. In my opinion lasers and/or surgery are the only thing that will fix those. I would go for lasers (repair, mixto) in your case as each individual scar is not severe, but they cover a large area. Dont listen to "snake oil" remedies if you want to actually fix them.

When I get my braces done, I'll have extra $$. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@wolkenbruch)

Posted : 12/29/2013 10:26 am

In my opinion (and as it is said above already) peels and/or retin-a will help you in terms of the overall appearance but will nothing do to fix your scars. You will have to bring the big guns in, even if your scars are not so severe/deep. Your problem seems similar to what I have had. So, look into my posts. BTW: Unfortunately or luckily in my experience it's easier to get rid of wrinkles than scars, so if you will treat your scars with deep needling- and/or laser treatments you will improve your skin atony en passant.

MemberMember
(@jakeboarding)

Posted : 12/29/2013 6:01 pm

I think you should try exfoliating. I have a friend who had similar scarring as yours,but only exfoliate once a day.