Notifications
Clear all

Is There Any Hope For Acne Scars Sufferers

MemberMember
(@jedisimon5)

Posted : 12/26/2013 5:11 pm

Like so many people here, I've suffered a lot with acne during my teens. And altough, I didn't contract the most serious forms of this disease, like cystic or nodular acne, my acne was somewhat moderate to severe.

Once I turned 18, it became less and less severe. (I'm 19 now)

And my scarring was suprisingly light.

This was until I decided, 10 months ago, to start popping my very few reaining pimples, which left, unfortunately some serious scars in my right cheek, and in my T-zone.

My acne is mostly gone, but the scars are, obviously, very upseting.

I did contact a dermatologist, who said to me that a great variety of treatments was available and that the scars would become almost unoticeable. Those were very promising words.

However I did my research online, and, what I've found is very very disapointing.

From what I've read, there is absolutely no efficient treatment in order to remove facial scars sad.png. Most of them are so terrible, that have side effects that are even worse than the scars themselves. I mean it seems stupid that doctors even propose those treatments at all, given their very small sucess rate, and their horrible side effects.

So I ask, Is there any hope of removing these scars. Or are they a burden to carry for life?

MemberMember
(@325world)

Posted : 12/26/2013 5:11 pm

The only hope: Fraxel re:pair on high settings.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 12/26/2013 6:14 pm

You could do a lot to improve the texture of scars, and skin making some or most nearly less visible. This is possible by combining various treatments witch of course takes time or going straight to laser witch is ridiculously stupid, expensive and not always satisfactory.

EDIT:

what kind of scars do you have?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/26/2013 6:30 pm

You could do a lot to improve the texture of scars, and skin making some or most nearly less visible. This is possible by combining various treatments witch of course takes time or going straight to laser witch is ridiculously stupid, expensive and not always satisfactory.

EDIT:

if the results are good , the money was well spent

MemberMember
(@325world)

Posted : 12/26/2013 6:37 pm

EDIT:

if the results are good , the money was well spent

Yep, I am serious when I say I would spend insane amounts of money for a guaranteed cure. Having clear skin is priceless and a key part of your aesthetics and the way people judge you.

The thing is most treatments are a scam, the lower priced treatments are priced so that they can sell a high quantity of them to lower-income people (or anyone who doesn't want to spend much), and that is why you see 100s of "cures" that are all "reasonably priced", they are just taking our money like predators since they know our insecurity.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 12/26/2013 6:57 pm

Fraxel Repair doesn't necessarily 'cure' your acne scars either

MemberMember
(@325world)

Posted : 12/26/2013 7:06 pm

Fraxel Repair doesn't necessarily 'cure' your acne scars either

I agree completely. I think that the best we can hope for is small bits of improvement here and there from all the methods, but that still means avoiding the snake oil. Start at moderate methods and move to the heavy-hitting ones if you are still unsatisfied with your skin.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 12/26/2013 7:17 pm

exactly.

MemberMember
(@jedisimon5)

Posted : 12/26/2013 7:38 pm

From what I've read, any kind of laser therapy is usually fruitless, or has severe consequences on the skin.

I don't even know what kind of scars I have Robertitto, they all seem like small cuts from a tiny blade, and they are sauced-shape and very red. Some of them, like in my cheek, create some kind of depressed area in the skin around. (They don't seem like icepick, they are probably car-box, but I'm not sure).

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 12/26/2013 8:01 pm

From what I've read, any kind of laser therapy is usually fruitless, or has severe consequences on the skin.

I don't even know what kind of scars I have Robertitto, they all seem like small cuts from a tiny blade, and they are sauced-shape and very red. Some of them, like in my cheek, create some kind of depressed area in the skin around. (They don't seem like icepick, they are probably car-box, but I'm not sure).

I've never done anything about my acne scars (I still have acne, so I couldn't treat the scars I have anyway yet) but I will tell you something that might give you some hope in terms of your scars: a couple of years ago, I got a serious cut on my face and I had to get 11 stitches. I was TERRIFIED that I would look like Frankenstein's bride for the rest of my life. After the stitches came out, I went straight to the dermatologist who recommended fraxel. They told me to apply Avene Cicalfate to the wound (after the scab fell off naturally) until it faded from angry red to pink and all the swelling was gone, which took a couple months. Then, they did the Fraxel ONLY ON THE SCAR (not the whole face). Within a couple of weeks (and applying cicalfate religiously) the giant red slice in my face turned into a barely noticeable white line that becomes completely invisible with my normal makeup routine. If Fraxel can do this for a giant gaping wound of a scar, it can help with your scars. Plus you are still very young, the scars may heal completely on their own, even if you leave them alone :) It's good that you are going to a dermatologist for it though, and congratulations on being clear!

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/27/2013 1:56 am

Look into subcision with stem cell fat grafting. The best way to start treating your scars.