Notifications
Clear all

Starting Roaccutane Soon - But What If I Have Been Doing Skin Care Wrong All This Time?

MemberMember
(@stripes)

Posted : 12/01/2013 11:08 pm

I'm about to start Roaccutane after having persistent moderate acne for 23 years.

But what if I've just being doing everything wrong until now?

I just had a look at The Regimen - I have been much rougher with my skin, even when I thought I was being gentle, and I also didn't allow time before or after putting on BP whenever I have used it. I have also realised that my daily face sunscreen has alcohol in it (Phenethyl Alcohol). Though I still get body acne, so this couldn't be the main cause.

Is The Regimen just management for people who (hopefully) only have transient acne, so by using it would I still only be managing my acne for the rest of my life (at least until menopause)? I don't want to have to follow a strict regimen on such a large area of my body for the next 23 years, but if it was possibly a means to a permanent end in the near future, I would do it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? eusa_think.gif

Thank you!

S

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 12/02/2013 12:32 am

I would try supplementing with all vitamins, especially zinc and fish oil. Cut out diary products, fried foods (such as mc donalds fries) and not touch (no regimen or anything) for 2 months. If I still had acne or it was only getting worse, I would go for Accutane.

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 12/02/2013 7:01 am

If you've had acne for 23 years I imagine you want nothing more than to get rid of it. You have a shot with Roaccutane, I would urge you to give it a go. Taking Roaccutane is a bit of a blind decision insofar as the effects can sometimes be a little unpredictable. Having second thoughts is understandable, everybody does. But it is your best shot. And if you find reasons not to take it now, how can you be sure that the same won't happen again in the future? A bit of courage goes a long way :)

Best of luck :)

MemberMember
(@stripes)

Posted : 12/03/2013 2:55 pm

I would try supplementing with all vitamins, especially zinc and fish oil. Cut out diary products, fried foods (such as mc donalds fries) and not touch (no regimen or anything) for 2 months. If I still had acne or it was only getting worse, I would go for Accutane.

Thanks for the advice Ballen... I've done all those things. I took zinc for a while, have taken omega-3 sups for a while too. Actually, I've tried just about all the supplements under the sun at different times. I haven't eaten dairy for 7-8 years and maccas or equivalent for 8 or 9 (ok, ok, I've snuck in a french fry here and there, but nothing else!). I've not used and not used BP. My acne has recently got worse - and is scarring for the first time, which is odd, odd, odd.

I think I'm done!

If you've had acne for 23 years I imagine you want nothing more than to get rid of it. You have a shot with Roaccutane, I would urge you to give it a go. Taking Roaccutane is a bit of a blind decision insofar as the effects can sometimes be a little unpredictable. Having second thoughts is understandable, everybody does. But it is your best shot. And if you find reasons not to take it now, how can you be sure that the same won't happen again in the future? A bit of courage goes a long way smile.png

Best of luck smile.png

Thanks Peck. Honestly, I think this is what I needed to hear. I realised again responding to Ballen that I've tried everything so I probably have tried being gentle too. You're right, I just want to get rid of it. I had just accepted that I was stuck with spotty skin for the rest of my life (unless I could figure out that elusive thing I was doing wrong...) until I mentioned my troubles in an offhand comment to the GP who asked a few qus then suggested Roaccutane. I wasn't sure when she first mentioned it, but by that night I wanted it NOW, right this minute, hand it over lady, thank you muchly!! Then I had to wait months to see a derm!

I think I just need to take it. A few flaky months followed, hopefully, by a permanent fix eusa_pray.gif . I'm prepared for the side effects, possibly over-prepared (I'll post my prep list soon - when I feel over-prepared enough!).

surprised.gifsurprised.gifsurprised.gif