Notifications
Clear all

[Pics!] Huge Acne Success Story - Adult Acne, Age 38

MemberMember
(@40isthenew30)

Posted : 05/08/2013 6:09 pm

I am so excited right now that I could just bust, so I had to post and share my story. Perhaps it could help someone like me.
I'm 37 years old - no medical issues. I eat a pretty great diet, and mostly gluten and dairy free... but it does not help with my acne.
A bit of history - have been struggling with mild to moderate cystic acne since the age of 15 or so. Hard to believe it's been 22 years that I've dealt with this and let it control my life in so many ways. I'm a highly outgoing person and love to travel, hang out with friends, and I have a higher level executive position. I believe I could have probably achieved even more in my career had the emotional hangups related to my acne not held me back.
Teen Years - Age 27: Mostly was on this old chalky, chunky rX benzoyl peroxide that came in a small tub and bleached everything out. It worked ok for awhile, but it gradually got less and less effective until I just stopped using it.
Age 27 - 35: Off and on mild to moderate acne. During this period, I used Clindamycin Gel in the AM under moisturizer and it controlled it remarkably well.... even into my 30s. I used Differin occasionally at night, but usually only when I had a major flare up that the Clindamycin stopped controlling. There were times I used both daily.
Age 35-38: The past 3 years have been the most challenging. I have not been acne free for ANY period of time during the past 3 years, and generally have between 5-10 very large cystic acne nodules with many smaller clogged pores/bumps. I've had a persistent clogged pore at the very tip of my nose for months. It's been awful! I believe that the years of topical antibiotics have caused me to become completely antibiotic resistant - and certainly my acne is antibiotic resistant. About 1-2 years ago the Clindamycin TOTALLY stopped working, and Differin (in the PM) also stopped working.
I started getting facial treatments like chemical peels and microdermabrasions - and it seemed like things would be great for a week after and then flare up BADLY... even worse than before the peel or microderm. I noticed that dermaplaning (removing the facial fuzz/hair prior to peel) also aggravated my acne after a few days. (More on this later).
Age 37: Last fall, I started Solodyn (Minocyclin), and it actually seemed to start working around the 90 day mark but my hair started falling out in HUGE clumps! So not only did I have acne, now I am losing hair and gaining wrinkles because I'm close to 40. So I quit the Solodyn and went on a combination of Doxycycline and Spironolactone, still trying to use the Differin at night. Several months on both and I noticed NO change whatsoever.
I recently found the Regimen and read all about using BP (2.5%) and treating your skin ever-so-gently. About 10 days ago, I started using OTC regimen products until my order came from Acne.com with the Regimen products.
Using the Regimen, I cleared up pretty well the first couple of days (with extreme dryness and flaking) and then broke out severely. To the point where I cancelled a big trip I was going on, and it completely ruined everything. I had a deep, painful cyst on my upper lip that caused my entire lip to swell. Unfortunately, I was too traumatized to even take a picture of that! It was not pretty - I spent days in tears trying not to wash off the benzoyl peroxide and hiding my face from everyone. The whole acne experience has been really traumatizing and has dramatically affected my professional confidence as well as my personal life. I have found myself cancelling appointments and not doing my job as well as I should be - due to embarrassment over my acne.
After doing tons of research on the Regimen and the theory of 2.5% BP being the most effective strength, I took another look at an rX I was prescribed back in the fall - Epiduo.
Epiduo is a combination of 2.5% BP and .1% Retinoid (adapalene).
I didn't fill it in the fall because Aetna refused to cover it over the age of 35! I have also had a rough time getting Differin filled due to age reasons. Don't they know that adults get acne too? (Aetna, if you're reading this - you might have saved yourself money by not filling a ton of prescriptions for useless antibiotics when a topical would've done the job.)
Based on the Regimen, and the research - I bit the bullet and purchased the Epiduo out of pocket ($300+ even with their coupon).
Pretty much immediately my acne was GONE. Cleared up completely and my skin is nearly glowing!! ZERO dryness! I am shocked at the transformation, and how fantastic my skin is already looking after less than a week on the Epiduo in the evening and Dan's regimen in the morning.
This is the system that I'm doing now:
The Regimen as instructed for my AM routine
  • Dan's cleanser... waiting 15
  • Dan's BP treatment, waiting 15
  • Dan's moisturizer
  • I am currently using Jane Iredale Mineral Makeup - non comedogenic with fantastic coverage.

PM Routine

• Dan's cleanser (gently! as instructed by The Regimen... this is why I believe the microderms/chemical peels, etc. were a waste of money and made everything much worse), waiting 15
  • Applying Epiduo (small, pea sized amounts in 3 areas of the face), waiting 15
  • Applying Dan's Moisturizer

So, the only difference between what I am doing and Dan's Regimen is the replacement of the BP treatment with Epiduo in the PM routine. Everything else I am strictly following (washing gently, waiting between steps, etc.).

Approximately 10 days ago (not the worst day with my swollen lip, although you can still see it on this picture where the cyst was/is):
post-200447-0-43495100-1368053917_thumb.
Today!
Note - I do have some mineral makeup on in this picture. I should have taken it before the makeup, but it's not very much and I didn't use any concealer at all.
post-200447-0-75705700-1368053924.jpg

post-200447-0-43495100-1368053917_thumb.

post-200447-0-75705700-1368053924.jpg

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 05/08/2013 6:34 pm

Wow, your skin looks great! Congratulations to you, I'm glad you found something that works! I am thirty years old and can relate to the frustration of adult acne. Best of luck to you!

MemberMember
(@dizzyabby)

Posted : 05/08/2013 6:37 pm

I have used epiduo and found it to be one of the best topicals :) congrats, you look fantastic!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 05/08/2013 7:05 pm

Ive been doing the exact same thing as you with good results. Last year I did this and was pretty much break out free but I decided to stop (dumb idea) and I started back up April 4th and clearing up again.

MemberMember
(@meowza)

Posted : 05/08/2013 7:32 pm

You are really glowing in your today photo! Glad you found something that is working for you!!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/09/2013 8:17 pm

Glad you found something that works for you. Give it 3 months before posting a review so that others know what to expect long term.

MemberMember
(@onaclearmission)

Posted : 07/05/2013 12:46 am

Good for you, so glad epiduo is working for you! Hoping I get the same results too. I'm 32, mum of a 9mth old and so over acne!!! My wedding is in 2mths and I'm do hopeful epiduo works for me. It's only been 2 days and my big cysts in my chin aren't as inflamed. I'm hoping the bumps go away soon and my clear skin makes a return soon. How quickly did you find epiduo worked for you? Here's to no more acne please!

MemberMember
(@healingscars)

Posted : 11/04/2013 8:05 pm

I have been using Tactuo (Epidual in Canada) for 3 years and I LOVE it.

I also have my own success story and I encourage ppl to share with Tactuo

13-18- uncomplicated acne- noticeable, was embarrassed and this is when I started to wear concealer

19-23- Acne grew worse and I was prescribed the BEST anti-biotics - went through 4 different types (my dad was a dr. So he had access to prescribing me the best stuff- minocycline, doxy, etc.. you name it I've tried it)- none of them worked too well.

I also was on birth control- Tried Diane first- very expensive and wasn't worth it. And then I went on 2 other brands- low hormone- still didn't work

At the same time I was using a barrage of Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic acid, EVERYTHING you can imagine from the pharmacy that you could get off the shelf.

My skin was overdried, still oily, fakey and disgusting.

23-26- Got desperate- my acne got a LOT worse and I was almost going to opt for accutane. I had terrible hormonal acne- also hereditary, and my skin was in scabs all the time. Weeks I would not want to leave the house, I skipped school, very antisocial and self conscious.

Up to that date the best combo I had found was Differin and Benzoyl Peroxide wash 5%

I didn't wantt o go through antibiotics and birth control again- I saw minimal difference and I felt my hormones were everywhere on them and I also had a weak liver from all the years of prescription meds to fix me.

Finally, at 27, I went to a dermatologist. I can't believe I didn't go to one before...seriously. I thought that my dad as a dr was enough to get the best stuff.

Finally went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me Tactuo.

I think Tactuo has only been out in Canada for 3 years- it was completely new when he prescribed it to me so I suppose my dad was doing everything he could to help my acne.

Finally, my acne cleared up within months. Sometimes I'll get a minor breakout and use Tactuo and it will be gone in 2 days.

I use Tactuo about 3-4 times a week on my entire face as preventative.

I swear it has CHANGED THE QUALITY OF MY SKIN.-

Before, even when I didn't have an active pimple I still had pretty rough looking skin. It was bumpy- not in a bad acne way but I guess they were cloged pores that gave my skin a bumpy look. As soon as I use Tactuo my skin is entirely smooth- better than any exfoliant I can think of.

And when I don't use Tactuo for a couple weeks, I can see my skin is not as smooth.

I am now just dealing with minor hyper pigmentation and redness (that I've always had).

I am trying to whiten the brown and red marks from acne and sun damage.

But honestly, at one point I was doing it all- antibiotics, birth control, topical creams (retinoids, ahas, bhas) AND washes (saly acid and BP) and my skin was so RAW, BLEEDING, red, acne everywhere. Very severe I cried a lot.

I was using all of that at the same time and I'm fairly sure the overkill of products made my skin even worse. Dry/raw faced, still oily and terrible skin.

I do think that growing out of it really helped. Like I'm sure getting older helped a lot with my hormonal acne. But I have to say, nothing worked with noticeable difference- like overnight difference- the way tactuo does.

Tactuo changed the entire texture of my skin.

My skin today is combination/oily. Some minor-medium hyperpigmentation and redness, enlarged pores. Nothing I can't cover up with a thin layer of foundation to even out my skin tone.

But even if you even out your skin tone, foundation can't change the TEXTURE of your skin. And that's what I love about TACTUO. my skin is so smooth now!