Notifications
Clear all

Adult Male W/ Mild To Moderate Acne - Bp Sensitivity

MemberMember
(@precocity)

Posted : 11/22/2012 12:44 am

Greetings,

I should preface my comments by expressing my heartfelt thanks to Dan Kern for making his website and technology available to the masses. I've extracted some benefit from his advice, although I'm currently experiencing a nearly unprecedented flare-up.

Anyway, I thought I should give some background information. I'm from Minnesota and inherited my Scandinavian ancestors propensity for white, pale skin. I've suffered from acne to varying degrees from age 13 to the present (I'm 37).

In my teenage years I saw a dermatologist and was prescribed Retin-A. The OTC remedies included all the familiar villains including Clearasil and Stridex pads. These remedies were basically useless and provided nothing but the psychological comfort of 'doing something.'

Through my adult years my acne would wax and wane. I stopped seeing a dermatologist because I felt resigned to having some degree of acne for the rest of my life.

A few years ago, after a flare-up, I searched the internet for advice. My acne was primarily on or around my nose. This isn't surprising since I'm asthmatic and have allergies. Furthermore, I've had nasal pulyps removed twice. It's hard for me to keep my hands off my nose, but I've done better since learning how I undermine my skin by touching it.

The site that made the biggest impression was this one. I religiously tried Dan Kern's regimine and have to confess that it substantially reduced my acne. Unfortunately, it also burned and dried out my skin. My co-workers went from teasing me for being pale to inquiring about my newfound sunburn. It should be noted that my skin is extremely sensitive. I'm allergic to multiple medications and foods and easily break out in hives, rashes, or pimples. Also, I recently develped mild eczema on my hands, dermatitis on my cheeks, and cheolitis on the left corner of my mouth.

I'm very concientious about my appearance and recently made a foolish decision that I deeply regret. Two weeks ago I went to Darque Tan and bought one of their introductory packages. Within two days I developed the aforementioned dermatitis. Also, I developed a mild sun burn on my face and a blister on my arm. I only laid on the sun lamp one time for five minutes. To my surprise, my skin never looked healthier about a week later.

Unfortunately, now I'm left with redness and increased acne. I never went back to Darque Tan because my doctor strongly cautioned me against suntanning, irrespective of its benefits to my depression. Furthermore, I'm waiting for a visit with a dermatologist to deal with my skin problems.

One question I have relates to a modified version of the regimine. I'm currently following it perfectly except that I'm replacing BP with Salicylic Acid. Because my skin is especially sensitive right now, I won't even put BP on my nose or use it for spot treatment. In the past, after my skin reacted unfavorably to BP, I used it soley on my nose and for periodic spot treatment. For some unknown reason, the skin on my nose is more resilient to BP.

I'm wondering if any members use BP on parts of their skin and salicylic acid on less sensitive locations. It would be nice to be able to use my 2.5% BP (i.e. Neutrogena On-The-Spot) on my entire face, but the redness is impossible to mitigate. Also, since I'm seeing my dermatologist in two weeks, I'm wondering if there are any important questions I might ask.

Thank you,

Jeffrey

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/22/2012 6:50 pm

Hi Jeffrey,

Although our situations are not the same, I believe I can give you some advice.

I also have had perioral dermatitus in the past from using acne fighting products.

Have you tried apple cidar vinegar? I use this as a "toner" for my face twice a day. It makes Your face glow and is great for both acne & dermatitus :-). Mind you I water mine down so 50 /50.

Also, tanning ruined my skin as well for a bit so now I try to avoid sun. (I'm fair skinned and light blonde as well)

What about tea tree? I found it to be not too harsh and not drying.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/22/2012 7:15 pm

I don't have a lot to offer in terms of practical advice, but I did want to stop by and welcome you to the messageboards. You're in good hands here. Welcome to the family - you'll find the support you need here.

MemberMember
(@precocity)

Posted : 11/22/2012 7:52 pm

Greetings Aballarina and Elsewhere,

I should preface my comments by saying I appreciate your responses as they make me feel welcome to this site. It's nice that a veteran member (i.e. Elsewhere) would chime in and help instill some hope that I'll find what I need on this site.

Furthermore, I appreciate the advice offered by Aballarina. It's interesting that I perceive myself as skeptical of 'natural treatments' and 'folk remedies.' Nevertheless, I take supplements and have extracted a lot of utility from them, esp. flax seed oil. I'm going to try to be receptive to what I consider unconventional or non-standard treatments as I haven't done so well with some of the standard treatments.

Thank you for recommending these two specific treatments. As my skin is liable to react unfavorably to the slightest irritant, I'm interested in experimenting with both apple cider vinegar and tea tree. I have used apple cider vinegar for my stomach, but not my face. I never thought it could have been useful. I'm wondering how you go about applying it to your skin. Assuming you're using a regimine (i.e. Dan's BP regimine), how do you go about incorporating these treatments into the cleansing, treating, and moisturizing ritual? At this point, I'm almost ready to stop my regimine as it's not working as well as I hoped. I cannot use BP for anything but my nose (and it gets red) and spot treatment.

I see s Dermatologist (rather a nurse practicioner who works with a dermatologist) in one week. Then on December 18th I see the 'real' dermatologist. I'm currently using triamcinolone for eczema on my right hand (I stopped using it on my right cheek). Also, I'm using Dan's regimine except I'm substituting BP w/ SA. Next, I'm using Carmex and Hydrocortisone for mild cheilitis. I would like to simplify my treatment if possible. The idea of taking a more natural approach is highly appealing given my sensitivities so I will definitely ask about these remedies.

Thank you,

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

Although our situations are not the same, I believe I can give you some advice.

I also have had perioral dermatitus in the past from using acne fighting products.

Have you tried apple cidar vinegar? I use this as a "toner" for my face twice a day. It makes Your face glow and is great for both acne & dermatitus whistling.gif). Mind you I water mine down so 50 /50.

Also, tanning ruined my skin as well for a bit so now I try to avoid sun. (I'm fair skinned and light blonde as well)

What about tea tree? I found it to be not too harsh and not drying.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/23/2012 1:03 am

Your welcome! I actually stumbled upon acv when I got the perioral dermatitis and I was pretty skeptical As well but I didnt have much to loose. I googled it a lot before I used it, and I found many sites that people suffering from dermatitis, warts, and acne all used it with great results! I use the organic one "braggs" with "the mother" in it. I use it as a toner. So after I wash with my tea tree foam cleanser I take a cotton ball and swipe my acv diluted with water all over my face. It gets rid of any oil as well and i feel fresh. I know what you mean by irreitated. After this perioral dermatitis I was told I shouldn't use harsh chemicals or it could come back! Have you heard of sodium lauryl clorfid? Not sure how to spell the last word but it's a chemical found in most cleansers, acne fighters shampoos etc. i was advised not to use anything with that in it as its pretty harsh. That's why I recommend tee

Tree. Ive never had an issue and Ive also tried so many different products. Also, I find my face extra sensitive around my mouth. If I must spot treat, I use the tea tree extract (pretty much pure tea tree oil) and I find it soo calming. I used to be pretty skeptical of natural products to, but if your skin is sensitive there is nothing better!