Notifications
Clear all

How Do Guys Really Feel About Girls With Acne?

MemberMember
(@pocketfulofsunshine)

Posted : 10/12/2012 4:34 pm

I've been feeling totally awful around my bf because of my skin and FINALLY had a 2 week period where I stopped breaking out. I thought my skin problems were finally going to be over and I got to actually experience not sleeping in makeup for the first time/spontaneous dates that didn't involve me spending forever getting ready. All of a sudden, I started breaking out again, but I'd already made plans to do all sorts of things and go all sorts of places that I feel gross doing now that I have pimples everywhere again! I feel bad because our relationship is pretty new still, so I don't want to be all disgusting around him! He'd never seen me without makeup until those weeks and it was so relaxing and stress-free that it's hard for me to go back to having to cover up my skin all the time again. It's just so embarrassing! I don't want to meet his friends looking like this and have them think he picked someone ridiculously ugly haha. Honestly, how would you guys react if you were dating someone with acne? Would you be completely disgusted by them or think that all the hot girls walking by are such a better catch?

I'm freaking outttttt!!!

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 10/12/2012 4:39 pm

Doesnt faze me one bit. I think when I was younger and I didnt have any skin issues, I saw acne is that "gross, they dont take care of themselves" type of thing. But after what ive gone through the past 4 years, that was the most ridiculous thought. In fact, I would say that people with acne or really any skin condition, take care of themselves MORE than people with clear perfect skin. So to answer your question, I am starting to prefer a woman with skin issues (nothing crazy infected severe) but something mild like mine, that we can relate to together. I just think having a woman with clear perfect skin that has never had any issues with before wouldnt know how to react when we are having a bad skin day and we're in one of those moods. And dont think that when you meet his friends will they think you are ugly because of your skin. Just act like it doesnt bother you, pretend its non existent, and be yourself, and they wont notice it either.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/12/2012 4:47 pm

No one likes acne... So lets start there. And I don't want it any more then I want it for my girlfriend. But there comes a point in the relationship where stuff like this doesn't matter as much. (Or atleast shouldn't) But in saying that I get where you're coming from.. The whole not wanting to be around him that much or his friends.. I've felt like this myself at times. But they will either accept you and not care about the acne or they will not. And if they don't accept you, well you might want to ask yourself the question: do you really want to be friends with ppl that judge you based on your outward appearance? Particularly your face? Just my thoughts.

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 10/12/2012 5:59 pm

Nobody likes acne period, but it really depends on the guy. Most guys seem very shallow about acne because girls are 'suppose to look perfect all the time'. I beg to differ. There a a few guys who will be nice to you, but it gets to a point where all guys have avoided me because my acne got so severe. I would just get ignored, they would be nice to me if I asked something, but I wouldn't be talked to if I didn't start a conversation. Girls have been the exact same way to me as well. The psychological effects of acne are horrible, it's definitely caused me to isolate myself from a typical normal teenage life...

MemberMember
(@noregrets92)

Posted : 10/12/2012 6:10 pm

I remember back in high school this girl i was with, she had quite a bit of acne. honestly I didn't even care, this is considering I've never had trouble getting a girl (not being big headed :P). The thing is though there was others who were like why's he with her etc. I guess it's down to individuals, some people are shallow some ain't. Maybe it's a good opportunity to find out which of the two your boyfriend is.

like you said it's more relaxing and stress free without make up so why would you cover up for him n some other mans?

Acne is perfectly normal, if anything shows that a girl is confident to not have to hide behind face paint (what i like to call makeup).

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 10/12/2012 6:23 pm

Would you date a guy with one leg? Or with psoriasis? A guy in a wheelchair? Someone who's bald? Overweight? Shorter than you? Of course you would. Because none of that matters if the two of you bond and fall in love, right? Or am I wrong? Would any of those things be dealbreakers for you? eusa_think.gif

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if this guy dumps you because of your acne you have no right to judge him if it is the case that you would lose interest in a guy because of any physical imperfection(s) that he might have, be it acne or anything else.

I take slight offense to your question as by asking it you are saying to me that you think it just might be so that I would dump someone over something like acne. The way you describe it namely "would you think they were disgusting and see other girls as better catches" sounds terrible. Anyone who "thinks" like that is immature. Horribly immature...and you are better off without them.

MemberMember
(@tricky)

Posted : 10/12/2012 6:52 pm

Please dont think that all guys are shallow... were not. Yes we do find girls with perfect bodies and perfect skin attractive but we also find personality attractive too. Just try and be yourself and not worry about it (easier said than done I know). Talk to him about your acne and Im sure he will be supportive. If he isnt then you are better off without him.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 10/12/2012 7:05 pm

It wouldn't matter to me at all. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as long as you're attracted to someone, even their flaws are beautiful to you. Truth be told, as a guy who has suffered from acne for many years, I would prefer a girl that has been down the same road. Because she would understand, she would be able to sympathize, and we'd be able to connect over that mutual struggle. I feel like we would be able to be extra supportive of each other because we would both know what it's like, and if anything that would just deepen the strength of the relationship between us.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 10/12/2012 7:28 pm

You have to turn on the "I don't care what people think about me" button. We are all eternal conscience beings; our bodies are only shells. If someone judges you negatively based on your external appearance, that's someone you don't want in your life. Don't try to change who you are to be liked; just be yourself. In the grand scheme of things; billions of people; infinite universe; the opinion of a couple people means nothing.

Acne can be seen as a test for a relationship. If he's there for you being supportive, that's someone you want to keep. To the contrary; if he isn't supportive, you might want to reconsider who you want in your life.

Best of luck. :)

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/12/2012 8:48 pm

I feel like, "Well...i know how that feels"

And it isn't a good feeling.

Thankfully, i believe everyone will find a way to deal with their acne if they simply don't give up trying. I found mine through my diet and avoidance of chemical topicals. Many others have found more specific things that either trigger their condition, or alleviate/eradicate it. There is a solution to each of our acne situations, and with enough patience and trial and error, i believe everyone will find theirs. The key is to not give up, and then share what worked for you when you do eventually find the solution.

It could be right in front of you and you wouldn't know it, so keep searching and trying

I do know that makeup isn't helping anyone's acne. I can sympathize with girls who feel the need to use it tho, because it isn't easy to face people with acne. And i feel like this is especially true with females. If you insist on using it, i think it'd be smart to look into an organic brand that is 100% natural. Something that won't irritate or plug up the skin, you know?

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 10/12/2012 11:06 pm

Every single person is shallow to a degree. We're conditioned by the media, to think that men are only capable of admiring the physical beauty of a woman, but that's a lie few have the opportunity to discover. Lapis Lazuli summed it up perfectly. We like what we like and it doesn't make one shallow to have preferences (that often transcends the conscious mind), it makes one human. Women have preferences, men have preferences. You have to find a man who doesn't have clear skin as a requirement.

With that said, I can identify with girls that have acne and actually appreciate them for it (some could see that as a preference). A lot of people grow resentful of the opposite sex when they develop a condition (or posses something that is deemed un-attractive, I.e being fat) that causes people to treat them differently. When/if they alleviate their condition, they eventually become the very thing they once hated, superficial. But I digress.

Your face has no bearing on your core character, which is what remains after the dust settles (old age). Work from the inside out, not vice-versa. Confidence resides internally and external validation is always fruitless and self-destructive.

MemberMember
(@loladiamonds)

Posted : 10/12/2012 11:45 pm

Everyone here has made the exact points I was thinking. If he cares, he'll care about YOU not your latest blemish. We're girls though, so the pressure to be perfect is multiplied when you're female.

Anywho, just be yourself and don't let your flaw define you. i have to work on this too but i'd rather encourage you! Acne isn't fun but it's life. By mistake or by design? who knows. But regardless, you're you. If you were brunette, you'd still be you. If you were epileptic, you'd still be you. If you were a spitting image of Marilyn Monroe, you'd still be you (probably a little over confident, haha) BUT do you see my point? Our bodies aren't us, we are us. My curly hair, acne prone skin, 5'1 thick figure isn't me. My love for SNL, my dedication at work with little kids, my collection of Frida Kahlo art, THATS me. All of your quirks and cute habits are you. He'd be a fool not to like the real you.

Focus on how you can get to the bottom of your acne for yourself, because YOU care. Not because someone else might.

MemberMember
(@quietjamie14)

Posted : 10/13/2012 1:54 am

Recently, I've started to really fancy a girl who has moderate acne. It's the first time I've ever fancied someone with acne - not because it puts me off but simply because you don't meet that many people with acne and girls, especially, cover it with make-up. This girl doesn't cover it up at all and I can honestly say that her spots don't bother me in the slightest. She also blushes really easily but I like that too - I find it endearing. She has the warmest smile, bright blue eyes and she's really smart (has a master's degree from Oxford) but is shy and humble with it. I don't think that a girl without acne would be a better catch, either - I teach classes of 19-21 year-olds full of girls whose skin is flawless, some of whom have done modelling, but I still prefer the girl with acne. Why? Because she makes my stomach knot and they don't. Can't explain it any better than that.

So, yes, this has made me realise that I couldn't care less about acne in girls. Maybe I should I stop worrying about my own blemishes now!

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/13/2012 2:00 am

I hate college everybody has perfect fuckin skin I'm the the only freak, where the fuck are my fellow acne sufferers.

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 10/13/2012 11:33 am

Just be yourself and you can't go wrong. Everyone has things they may like or don't like and, let us be honest, I can't imagine any actually likes acne by definition, but it doesn't have to be an issue. My experience is that it only becomes an issue if the person who has it lets those insecurities get in the way of the relationship or friendship, etc.. Otherwise, if they just go about their business and enjoy being with who they're with, that's what shines through. Personally, having been there, I know what it's like so I'd be in no position to judge, but I look beyond things like that anyway because when it comes down to it I wouldn't care about something like acne. I can't quite see it happening, for reasons not directly related to acne, but if someone actually wanted to be with me and loved me for who I am, faults and all, and made me a better person for it, I'd love them back no matter what.

MemberMember
(@green-tea-2)

Posted : 10/14/2012 5:01 pm

Cannot offer much, but my honest, fairly shallow opinion.

First, if that's you on the pic, then I say you look cute to me and you'd need A LOT of acne to make you less attractive.

Second, personally for me, I would be less motivated to approach an unknown girl who has acne over an unknown girl without them, given all other parameters equal. But I am sure it holds for all people. Nobody likes acne. However, if I get into a relationship with a girl and she develops some acne that would not be important for me. Especially if I know that they are temporary. After all skin is only one factor influencing appearance. And appearance is only one of the determining factors in the relationship.

Third, I would rather prefer my gf to honestly tell me her about her insecurities, rather than act weird/lash out at me/refuse going out for no reason. Plus, this is also a sign of trust, which I would certainly appreciate.

MemberMember
(@ifknhateacne)

Posted : 10/15/2012 12:29 am

I personally know and have experienced that guys do not like girls with Acne in general. Unless of course, they themselves have bad skin.

I mean they don't mind a few pimples, but not Acne.

Even girls with perfect skin, an ex friend of mine, would say things like "He'd pretty hot but too bad, he's got Acne" or "Yuck doesn't he wash his face?" in which I will just go silent.

Another girl said she wouldn't date another guy with bad skin because it was 'congatious', she said while making out their skin would touch and then she'd get pimples, and it was 'disgusting'.

And yes, the two girls that said this, have, flawless skin but terrible personalities. Ah well...

Maybe because I have acne, but I don't mind a guy without flawless skin, I actually prefer it. I'd be more comfortable dating a person not so superficial.

I have felt so inferior seeing guys with beautiful skin...that's just my point of view.

Some people are able to find those that don't care about a full face of Acne, but this is rare..

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 10/15/2012 2:47 pm

I don't care too much although I obviously don't view it as a GOOD thing. As far as makeup goes, there's nothing worse than when a girl goes from perfect skin with makeup on to looking really bad without any on. Probably because it's a vicious cycle where the makeup's actually causing the acne whilst hiding it. I always think of this Katie Perry pic:

katy-perry-no-makeup.jpg

MemberMember
(@loladiamonds)

Posted : 10/15/2012 5:31 pm

Recently, I've started to really fancy a girl who has moderate acne. It's the first time I've ever fancied someone with acne - not because it puts me off but simply because you don't meet that many people with acne and girls, especially, cover it with make-up. This girl doesn't cover it up at all and I can honestly say that her spots don't bother me in the slightest. She also blushes really easily but I like that too - I find it endearing. She has the warmest smile, bright blue eyes and she's really smart (has a master's degree from Oxford) but is shy and humble with it. I don't think that a girl without acne would be a better catch, either - I teach classes of 19-21 year-olds full of girls whose skin is flawless, some of whom have done modelling, but I still prefer the girl with acne. Why? Because she makes my stomach knot and they don't. Can't explain it any better than that.

So, yes, this has made me realise that I couldn't care less about acne in girls. Maybe I should I stop worrying about my own blemishes now!

CAN YOU PLEAAAAAAASE ASK HER ON A DATE & BE BOLD!

I'M SUCH A ROMANTIC wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

lol. seriously though, that was so sweet. you really like her. SHOW HER <3

MemberMember
(@pocketfulofsunshine)

Posted : 10/17/2012 3:00 pm

Haha thanks for your input, everybody! This was actually pretty interesting! I mean, I know I'm not very picky when it comes to other people and that I'd still date a guy with acne, but I'm like...creepy nice...so I figured that was something I'd be fine with, but not the other way around haha. I'm getting a little more comfortable talking to him about my skin and he's been really sweet about it, but he has this model hot best friend with amazing skin, so I still get kind of intimidated knowing he's spending a bunch of time around her and then seeing me. I'm trying to work on being more confident in general, not just with my skin, so that's my goal now!

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/17/2012 3:59 pm

Haha thanks for your input, everybody! This was actually pretty interesting! I mean, I know I'm not very picky when it comes to other people and that I'd still date a guy with acne, but I'm like...creepy nice...so I figured that was something I'd be fine with, but not the other way around haha. I'm getting a little more comfortable talking to him about my skin and he's been really sweet about it, but he has this model hot best friend with amazing skin, so I still get kind of intimidated knowing he's spending a bunch of time around her and then seeing me. I'm trying to work on being more confident in general, not just with my skin, so that's my goal now!

that takes a lot of courage!! I commend you on that! Keep it up. The more confident and comfortable you act, the more comfortable he'll be :)

MemberMember
(@sweet-potato-x)

Posted : 10/19/2012 2:04 pm

Hey I just wanted to say I can completely relate to your post. When I started dating my current boyfriend I was very insecure about my skin. I was terrified for him to see me without makeup. I didn't want to spend the night with him because of it. I didn't want to go swimming or even stand in direct sunlight. His previous girlfriend was stunning in the pictures I had seen of her. I didn't think he would want to be with me anymore when he could get girls like her. I don't mean to sound like I think looks matter that much...I really value the heart and soul of a person...but when it comes to myself I am very insecure. Well...I finally couldn't take it anymore...I decided to talk to him about it...and his response was amazing. He was so sweet and understanding. I actually invited him over and I had no makeup on...I was very nervous and ended up crying...he just held me and comforted me. He told me I was beautiful without makeup. He said he loves me inside and out. He said that he loves me for my heart more than anything. He said my skin isn't as bad as I make it out to be (ha, I know it is), but he said that if someone can be happy and carefree even when they have some sort of flaw...that they are more attractive than anybody else. I was really blown away by how accepted and comfortable he made me feel. He later revealed to me that his previous girlfriend, the one I said who was so stunning, had the same problem! He said she had a really bad skin problem at one point and then was left with serious scars all over her face. She would never take her make up off and was very insecure too. I couldn't believe it! I still am struggling through my acne..but I am not anywhere near as depressed about it now that I have his support. There are people out there that are shallow..but there are also people out there that know what is truly to be valued in a person.

MemberMember
(@pocketfulofsunshine)

Posted : 10/19/2012 7:35 pm

Hey I just wanted to say I can completely relate to your post. When I started dating my current boyfriend I was very insecure about my skin. I was terrified for him to see me without makeup. I didn't want to spend the night with him because of it. I didn't want to go swimming or even stand in direct sunlight. His previous girlfriend was stunning in the pictures I had seen of her. I didn't think he would want to be with me anymore when he could get girls like her. I don't mean to sound like I think looks matter that much...I really value the heart and soul of a person...but when it comes to myself I am very insecure. Well...I finally couldn't take it anymore...I decided to talk to him about it...and his response was amazing. He was so sweet and understanding. I actually invited him over and I had no makeup on...I was very nervous and ended up crying...he just held me and comforted me. He told me I was beautiful without makeup. He said he loves me inside and out. He said that he loves me for my heart more than anything. He said my skin isn't as bad as I make it out to be (ha, I know it is), but he said that if someone can be happy and carefree even when they have some sort of flaw...that they are more attractive than anybody else. I was really blown away by how accepted and comfortable he made me feel. He later revealed to me that his previous girlfriend, the one I said who was so stunning, had the same problem! He said she had a really bad skin problem at one point and then was left with serious scars all over her face. She would never take her make up off and was very insecure too. I couldn't believe it! I still am struggling through my acne..but I am not anywhere near as depressed about it now that I have his support. There are people out there that are shallow..but there are also people out there that know what is truly to be valued in a person.

That actually helps a lot haha. It's so funny how we can get this idea that everyone else is just perfect when they aren't, just because we're so distracted with our own skin. I'm so glad he responded positively! That's so sweet! :) Honestly, when it's other people's skin problems, I might notice at first, but I get used to it pretty quickly and will stop noticing. I'm sure that it's kind of the same way with other people, but that every time we get self-conscious and bring it up, we're basically pointing it out all over again haha. I probably just need to calm the heck down, put some concealer on, and call it a day. I'm sure tat the less of a big deal I make out of it, the less he'll notice, and the less I'LL be concentrating on it!

that takes a lot of courage!! I commend you on that! Keep it up. The more confident and comfortable you act, the more comfortable he'll be smile.png

Thanks! This sort of thing is pretty hard for me, so if I can get better at this, I'll be pretty proud!

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 10/21/2012 1:07 pm

I think a lot of it does come down to confidence and how we act. It's about perceptions. If we appear as though we're conscious of something in particular, we end up drawing attention to it. I always end up doing that when things aren't going so well and I kind of withdraw and act differently. I don't suppose it's especially appealing.

It's all quite interesting to talk about this stuff though because my experiences have been that people I showed an interest in quite openly disliked what they saw of my skin and never even attempted to look beyond it. It's good to be able to start to counter that and hear of instances where people look beyond acne or never even consider it an issue in the first place. I'm hoping I can be more open to meeting such people eventually.

MemberMember
(@josua-hernandez)

Posted : 10/21/2012 1:35 pm

hey dont feel bad. only true guys will love someone just the way they are. ive dated someone that had acne and i didnt care i just loved her the way she was. so if your bf doesnt accept you the way you are then his not meant to be with you. hopefully everything urns out good. Gd bless.