Notifications
Clear all

Dermatologists A Scam?

MemberMember
(@ohmygod)

Posted : 07/18/2012 6:52 am

I know they treat other things besides acne, but when it comes to acne does anyone really ever get cured by them? i know i wasnt.. they just seem to keep throwing all these fancy high priced items at you saying 'hmmm try this one, oh? one didnt work? maybe we should try this one, and it goes on and on until you have spent thousands of dollars on false hope products.

I know theres a cure out there but i dont think we will ever find out about one in main stream media until people stop funding/feeding all these dermatologists.

Maybe im just crazy, frustrated and lost most of my mind but thats just how i see it =(

sorry if i posted in wrong forum

MemberMember
(@samiman)

Posted : 07/18/2012 9:32 am

yes it's a scam. just like most doctors, pharmacists, etc.

MemberMember
(@elvin83)

Posted : 07/18/2012 11:12 am

Yes unfortunately I agree with the poster above me.

Dermatology is a business like everything else. And the point of a business is to make money.

Finding a cure is not a high priority for them because they don't have to. They are already making billions of dollars of what they sell now. So business is good. Don't fix what's not broken.

I'm not saying that it is a conspiracy, or that the doctors and pharmaceutical companies are evil people sitting in the offices twirling their mustaches, I'm just saying that, they just doesn't care. A doctors job is to make money, and they do that by selling products. It's as simple as that. And as long as they are allowed to sell products that doesn't work, then they will keep doing that, because it's the cheapest way to make money.

Why the hell would the pharmaceutical companies waste their time and money developing a cure, when they might as well just piss in a bottle, put a label on it that says "this will help your acne" and sell that for billions of dollars? (I'm exaggerating, I don't really think they are pissing in their bottles, but you get my point.)

I'm not one of those people that thinks they have a cure, but they just doesn't want to tell us. I'm not.

I think that if they had a cure, they would do everything in their power to make as much money on it as possible.

But as of now, it's just not a high priority for them, because as long as they are allowed to make money on nothing, then they'll keep doing that. Everything else would be bad business.

If the day comes, that they are only allowed to make money on cures and not treatment, then expect to se one faster then you can say "what happened"?

But until then don't hold your breath.

It's the system that doesn't work, not the companies.

Money makes the world go round, if you are ever in doubt about anything, always follow the money.

Elvin

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 07/18/2012 2:17 pm

yep a huge scam. i think a lot of people that have had first hand experience with dermatologists regarding acne will know this. I wish i could expose my old dermatologist to the world. I can say this with confidence that my dermatologist is a horrible person.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/18/2012 3:47 pm

I think the large majority of people who go to medical school are very close-minded. Of course this is a purely anecdotal opinion. There are several doctors in my family and friends of the family. They are all a little blinded by prestige and only listen to something if their superior (as defined by "official" ranks and titles) is saying it. So if some brilliant genius finds a simple, cheap cure for acne, they'd write him off as a nutjob because he doesn't have MD by his name.

I think the biggest issue is that people who go to medical school spend SO MUCH TIME trying to get into medical school, and then get through medical school, and survive residency, and then pay off a quarter of a million dollars of debt...that they very honestly don't have the time or energy to try and experiment and find a cure. Their colleagues would mock them if they listened to some naturopath or if they mainly prescribed cheap, old drugs (e.g. Spironolactone). I don't think most doctors sit around trying to scam you, but they are attracted to shiny new drugs/treatments (that don't cure) just like we're attracted to shiny new cars (with a $50,000 price tag) or that hot guy/girl (with no personality).

Aaaand...very few dermatologists personally have skin problems, that I've seen. Many studied skin because they were "fascinated" by skin problems--precisely because they were personally inexperienced. Someone who battled acne and cured it...they'd probably turn out more like Dan than go spend thousands of dollars to study dermatology.

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 07/18/2012 4:46 pm

true that

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 07/18/2012 9:30 pm

Illuminati

MemberMember
(@maria11)

Posted : 09/03/2012 12:36 am

agree

MemberMember
(@sumnerm)

Posted : 09/03/2012 3:10 am

Yeah, just like surgeons. Why pay them to remove a bullet from your body, or even transplant a heart? It might be just me because I have decent health insurance, but a $15 Co-pay to see my derm. has done a lot more than the $100+ i have spent on commercial over-the-counter products. Acne isn't a one size-fits-all, some over-the-counter products work for some people, some people need prescription medications to treat their acne, and some people just are born with great skin. I'm sure you, as well as everyone else on these forums, know that cause of acne has more factors than just the appearance of the surface of your skin. Your argument is almost illogical.. the only way dermatologist can "scam" you is if you're buying the product that the dermatologist manufactures and sells. You don't get medication at a dermatologist, you get a prescription and you get the medication from a pharmacy...

MemberMember
(@gforce89)

Posted : 09/08/2012 10:46 am

I've been to two different dermatologists and they didn't seem to help. They never tried to understand my problem and learn about the things I have tried.

I don't think dermatologists are a scam, I just don't think they really care. Doctors have to go through so much crap just to get where they are and nothing really phases them anymore. They aren't sympathetic because they had to deal with death and disease during their training. You got to cut off your emotions as a doctor or it will destroy you.

Some person with acne pales in comparison to the other things they have seen.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/08/2012 9:02 pm

I've always had terrible experiences with dermatologists. Usually they spend less than 5 minutes with me and throw a prescription at me.

I remember when I was 16, I walked into the little room and waited, the doc came in and wrote down on his notepad, looked at my face for about 10 seconds, and then walked out. The nurse then walked in and said "We're ready for you at the counter", and gave me the prescription for doxycycline.

I was shuffled out so fast I didn't even get a chance to explain the problem was on my back.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/11/2012 3:46 am

Sorry for my bad language... but F*** dermatologists. They worsen people's acne instead of helping it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/11/2012 9:50 am

I think acne is just a small park of a dermatologists knowledge. If you've done a bit of reading up on acne you'll probably know all if not more than most dermatologists. Acne research hasn't exactly came on leaps and bounds in the last lot of decades. Benzoyl Peroxide is still probably the most effective treatment for most and its not exactly new.

I've never been to one but I'd hazard a guess that I'd be told to gentle cleanse morning and night (probably Cetaphil) apply a topical (BP or maybe Retin A) and make sure to moisturise... And a antibiotic. If I had cystic acne then the talk might be about Accutane.

Not rocket science.

MemberMember
(@meli55a)

Posted : 09/11/2012 11:01 am

I think acne is just a small park of a dermatologists knowledge. If you've done a bit of reading up on acne you'll probably know all if not more than most dermatologists. Acne research hasn't exactly came on leaps and bounds in the last lot of decades. Benzoyl Peroxide is still probably the most effective treatment for most and its not exactly new.

I've never been to one but I'd hazard a guess that I'd be told to gentle cleanse morning and night (probably Cetaphil) apply a topical (BP or maybe Retin A) and make sure to moisturise... And a antibiotic. If I had cystic acne then the talk might be about Accutane.

Not rocket science.

Yep you got it! Mine told me to cleanse morning and night with Cetaphil, apply a topical at night (Epiduo) and put me on antibiotics. And because my acne is cystic I've had two dermatologists try to get me on Roaccutane.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/11/2012 11:38 am

Not rocket science.

Yep you got it! Mine told me to cleanse morning and night with Cetaphil, apply a topical at night (Epiduo) and put me on antibiotics. And because my acne is cystic I've had two dermatologists try to get me on Roaccutane.

Yeah. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. I bet a big chunk of their earnings come from acne suffers but there is very little they can do for them. It would be fun to hear the odd one say to a patient... Look anything I'm gonna be ably to tell you or help you with is free if you just go home and Google it.

MemberMember
(@cervantes86)

Posted : 09/11/2012 3:02 pm

I dont know. the only people that have been able to help me is dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@samiman)

Posted : 09/15/2012 3:39 am

Yeah, just like surgeons. Why pay them to remove a bullet from your body, or even transplant a heart? It might be just me because I have decent health insurance, but a $15 Co-pay to see my derm. has done a lot more than the $100+ i have spent on commercial over-the-counter products. Acne isn't a one size-fits-all, some over-the-counter products work for some people, some people need prescription medications to treat their acne, and some people just are born with great skin. I'm sure you, as well as everyone else on these forums, know that cause of acne has more factors than just the appearance of the surface of your skin. Your argument is almost illogical.. the only way dermatologist can "scam" you is if you're buying the product that the dermatologist manufactures and sells. You don't get medication at a dermatologist, you get a prescription and you get the medication from a pharmacy...

Nope.

The reason you have skin problems is because there's something wrong with your body (unhealthy).

It is a scam, nothing the derm will give will fix anything, only alleviating the problems.

MemberMember
(@auspicious)

Posted : 09/15/2012 4:37 am

Most dermatologists really do care and want to help and those that dont are few and far between. The reason it seems like a scam is because it didn't really work for you but dermatologists dont make extra money when the products dont work and many sincerely care for their patients and plus their jobs depend on it.

MemberMember
(@dabowez)

Posted : 09/15/2012 4:49 pm

The last Derm I went to see, it was about something unrelated to Acne, spent 20 minutes discussing acne with me including how she now strongly believes in the link between High GI/GL intake and the severity of your acne.

She had read the same research that's referenced on acne.org (maybe she even reads to boards) and said that amongst her collegues there is a growing awareness to taking a more holistic approach to treatment options (lifestyle including food, topicals and skincare in general). She did point to the fact that everyone is different, there is no cure (though she was confident that one would eventually be found) and that, for most people, finding and sticking to a good regimen takes time and committment but ultimately you will be successful.

She also said she is treating her 15 year old son for moderate cystic acne, so I suppose she sees things from both the professional and personal perspective.

I actually came out feeling that I got great value for money for my 30 minutes and $150 Australian

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/16/2012 11:51 pm

If you have low blood sugar and high in some vitamins and minerals you won't get acne. http://www.acu-cell.com/dis.html .

Most dermatologist are moving into anti-aging and cosmetic surgery like ass and boob jobs than dedicating time into a serious disease like acne.

MemberMember
(@laura130490)

Posted : 09/20/2012 10:56 am

Surely this isn't the case the UK dermatologists though as treatment is funded by the NHS? Unless you see a private dermatologist. I saw a derm when I was younger through the NHS for another skin condition (not acne) and they were great, got me started on a course of light treatment and it cleared right up.

MemberMember
(@aminal)

Posted : 09/20/2012 11:26 am

I wouldn't say it's a scam, and I don't think they are knowingly doing anything wrong. They are simply part of a system. A doctor, like others have said, still has to run a business. Most of them do not have the time to spend hours with clients every single day, so they effectively can't really "learn" about your specific problem. They have 10 minutes with you, if that. Most doctors don't even have time to read every new article published in medical journals about rising cures and medications. They rely on a summarized publishing that normally comes out on a yearly basis that spout out summarized information on new medications - what "works" and "doesn't work". This is what they base their treatments on. Going is only going to seem like a "scam" if you don't know how a doctor's office runs, or how the medical industry runs as a whole. If you know what you're getting yourself into and know what to expect from a Dermatologist... you're not going to feel "scammed". Disappointed? Maybe.

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 09/20/2012 12:03 pm

If you have low blood sugar and high in some vitamins and minerals you won't get acne. http://www.acu-cell.com/dis.html .

Most dermatologist are moving into anti-aging and cosmetic surgery like ass and boob jobs than dedicating time into a serious disease like acne.

That link you posted is very helpful.

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 09/20/2012 10:37 pm

everything is a scam, in my lowly, insane opinion. although yes, it is true that the pharmaceutical companies control everything and are only interested in making money. i have also developed a theory that doctors really don't want to cure your problems because then they wouldn't continue to make money off of you. i also think that doctors and dentists will not do any preventative measures for you and will let your ailments worsen until they're bad enough to need something done. although i'm sure not all doctors follow this rule, it's just something i've been contemplating.

but yes, i had one particularly bad experience with a dermatologist i went to. the doctor came in and looked at my face and back for a second and then told me to use this cleanser they had. he didn't ask me anything and i didn't really tell him anything. the whole experience was about 5 minutes and then i was out the door. after using this cleanser for a short time with no success i never went back there again and said screw those people.

although i did have a derm appointment this morning, and i gotta say i think my dermatologist is pretty nice! we exchange information and she seems generally interested in helping me out. i know that doctors/clinics get paid to push certain products but that's not always a bad thing. i guess you just have to figure these things out for yourself.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 09/21/2012 8:45 pm

I wouldn't say it's a scam, and I don't think they are knowingly doing anything wrong. They are simply part of a system. A doctor, like others have said, still has to run a business. Most of them do not have the time to spend hours with clients every single day, so they effectively can't really "learn" about your specific problem. They have 10 minutes with you, if that. Most doctors don't even have time to read every new article published in medical journals about rising cures and medications. They rely on a summarized publishing that normally comes out on a yearly basis that spout out summarized information on new medications - what "works" and "doesn't work". This is what they base their treatments on. Going is only going to seem like a "scam" if you don't know how a doctor's office runs, or how the medical industry runs as a whole. If you know what you're getting yourself into and know what to expect from a Dermatologist... you're not going to feel "scammed". Disappointed? Maybe.

These are my feelings exactly. I think dermatologists can be disappointing (mainly depending on if you get a good one or bad one) but I don't think they're "scams" necessarily. They simply don't have enough time to analyze every aspect of your skin and come up with a specific treatment for you when they see so many patients a day - and, sadly, acne is probably one of the 'milder' problems to them, since dermatologists see so many people with more serious problems such as skin cancer, etc. So, frankly, it's not a huge shock that they would spend less time with patients suffering from acne. Like AMINAL said, they're going to use their summation of knowledge on acne and suggest a medication, rather than spend a half hour trying to decide what treatment would best suit your skin.

Honestly, though, dermatologists haven't been a huge disappointment to me. I've seen numerous dermatologists over the years, and have had both bad and good ones. Maybe my skin responds well to medications but they have almost always helped calm my breakouts. Right now I've been using the same medications my dermatologist prescribed a year ago and it's been working.

I WILL say though that often times dermatologists do seem like they want to make an extra bit of money by trying to sell you their 'special' cleanser, lotion etc. The last derm I saw was very friendly and attentive, but tried to tell me I should have a 10% BP cleanser inputted in my regimen. I used it for two days before returning it because it irritated my skin a lot and I learned that 2.5% BP wash would've been just as effective, and I can get that for way cheaper in CVS! Also, my derm before that who prescribed me Epiduo also prescribed me a sulfur wash--and if you read the instructions for Epiduo, it says SPECIFICALLY not to use any products with sulfur while using Epiduo. No wonder that cleanser irritated me too!

But doctors aren't perfect. I understand mistakes are made and sometimes you just get shitty ones. But I think derms have helped me more than hurt me.