Notifications
Clear all

Dermatologists A Scam?

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/24/2012 12:42 am

Acne is an internal problem. Derms don't prescribe things that can cure acne internally.

MemberMember
(@awesomenesssquared)

Posted : 09/24/2012 10:36 pm

As a med student currently suffering a sudden onset of cystic scarring acne, and an 8 year acne suffer previously......if I end up in dermatology as a specialty i will definitely have sympathy for my patients. Doctors are out there that have suffered acne problems. For example, the co-developer of Retin A James E fulton was an acne suffer and as such fueled his pursuit of dermatology. Also most of you are blaming dermatologists for problems that are not their fault. Acne research is done mainly by researchers funded by pharmecueticals or a select few derms who go into research....there are many reasons why this area of research has not been booming but I will not get into them here, and you can't blame your run of the mill derm for not fighting hard enough to find an acne cure...for most that topic isn't even on their radar.

No, dermatology is not a scam. Nobody is out to get you....but if you ever go through the medical field there are so many outside factors as to why many doctors just can't give as much sympathy as many patients would want. We go through alot....8 hour days followed by countless studying, giving up our youth, taking on a quarter to half a million dollars in debt for an education......After all that you would expect some doctors to be burnt out, so please be understanding. If you want derms to be more compassionate really go for it. Go into your appointment prepared, ask questions, dont let the doctor leave the room. If they seem clueless, go to another doctor, just dont go on an agenda that all derms are bad or that all demrs have/had perfect skin or are out to just treat cosmetics.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/04/2012 10:51 am

I don't think they are a deliberate scam. Very few are any good though and that applies to other medical doctors as well. They are too indoctrinated in western medicine in which everyone needs drugs and they only have a vague idea that healthy diet and lifestyle are 'good' as opposed to being essential and the best way of reversing health conditions.