Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4cne

Getting a piercing while on accutane?

So.. I have been wanting to get my ears pierce for a while and now that im 18 I can get them pierce!! yay!

But right now Im on accutane and Im not sure if I should get them pierce or wait 4 months for my treatment to be over.. Im only on the first month :(

I was wondering the same thing!!!!

It seems to be taking my belly button and cartilage forever to heal, altough I got them before i started on accutane.

i reallyyyyy want another in my cartilage but idk if this would be a smart thing to do...

Personally I would wait until about 3 months after your Accutane course to get anything pierced. Something like a bellybutton or a catrlidge piercing already takes forever to heal and when you are on Accutane your skins healing process is slowed down due to a screatching halt in oil production. When I was on accutane something as small as a cat scratch would take forever to heal and left really nasty scars. I am a little over 3 months post tane and my skin is back to healing quickly. I am still really scared to get anything peirced, waxed, or tattooed on my skin just because my derm told me to wait 6 months after my course to get anything of that nature done. I would just hate to get a piercing and then have to take it out because it was not healing right.

what about something that I had done BEFORE the accutane? like less than a year before i started taking the medicine? My belly button was done last march and has been getting bloody and scabby... same thing with my cartilage (got that done in October). Could this be because of the Accutane?

how about getting a tongue ring??

Um..no. That's even more invasive than a bellybutton piercing.

woulnt it be faster healing because the tongue is muscle not cartilage???

No. ANY invasive procedure is contraindicated while on Accutane and for at least six months (according to the literature) afterwards due to problems with healing.

Tattoos, cosmetic surgery, ear piercings, piercings of any sort, ANY kind of invasive surgery is not smart while on or for a while after taking Accutane.

ive had my ears pierced since i was little and rarely kept ear rings in them.... after starting accutane, the holes started to close up so now i have to keep studs in the at all times. i would definitely wait until after your treatment... i mean you already waited this long right? it just takes your skin FOREVER to heal on accutane. chances are, if you do get a piercing right now, it wont heal, could become infected and you will have to take it out anyway. i know accutane has some disappointing side effects.... but i think clear skin is worth it. good luck on your treatment though!

ive had my ears pierced since i was little and rarely kept ear rings in them.... after starting accutane, the holes started to close up so now i have to keep studs in the at all times.

Same here, I've had my ears pierced a long time and now they're freaking out on me. I had decided to just wear studs all the time, but then one day I noticed crusty blood on one ear and took them out.

Do you think it's better to wear the studs and have that happen, or not wear the studs and risk having the holes close up?

sooo my belly button that i've had pierced for almost a year got really dried up and started to push the ring out!! i went to take it out and the hole ripped... :(

im going to have to get it repierced, but could the accutane have caused that???

I should be starting Accutane in about early-mid March, but my 18th birthday is the end of this month and I really wanted to get a tattoo. I know you should wait at least 6months to have anything done AFTER finishing Accutane, but what about prior? Would it be able to heal properly?

I want to get my thirds pierced (just lobes) cause my friends just become a qualified piercer, im on roaccutane, but im only on 2 every second day and one every other day. My derm told me im on it for at least another year, i really want to get it done, reckon it would be really bad if i did?

I want to get my thirds pierced (just lobes) cause my friends just become a qualified piercer, im on roaccutane, but im only on 2 every second day and one every other day. My derm told me im on it for at least another year, i really want to get it done, reckon it would be really bad if i did?