Notifications
Clear all

rash on hands?

MemberMember
(@steph16)

Posted : 02/20/2009 4:13 pm

I just finished month 1 taking 40mg of claravis daily. I saw the doctor today and he upped my dosage to 60mg daily. awesome. regardless, I've been reading posts on this thing about people developing some kind of rash on the back of their hands. I hadn't been experiencing this, but so many people had been observing this. randomly enough, this very morning on the way to the doctor i noticed i had "the back of the hand (accutane) rash" it's very faint, barely noticable, not itchy, and the redness wore off as the day wore on. my doctor wrote me a prescription for lidex. i'm hesitant to fill it and use it because it's a steroid and the rash isn't so bad. i dont know, steroids freak me out (i'm a pharmacy technician, and am in pharmacy school).

anyone have any advice? any alternative creams or ointments I can put on the rash other than a prescription steroid?

thanks

-steph

MemberMember
(@iieee)

Posted : 02/20/2009 6:28 pm

Put a thick layer of aquaphor on at night and a lighter moisturizer for the day. This will clear it up and prevent it from coming back. If I do this it stays clear, but if I get lazy and stop applying it will come back. It isn't really uncomfortable for me, just unsightly.

I just finished month 1 taking 40mg of claravis daily. I saw the doctor today and he upped my dosage to 60mg daily. awesome. regardless, I've been reading posts on this thing about people developing some kind of rash on the back of their hands. I hadn't been experiencing this, but so many people had been observing this. randomly enough, this very morning on the way to the doctor i noticed i had "the back of the hand (accutane) rash" it's very faint, barely noticable, not itchy, and the redness wore off as the day wore on. my doctor wrote me a prescription for lidex. i'm hesitant to fill it and use it because it's a steroid and the rash isn't so bad. i dont know, steroids freak me out (i'm a pharmacy technician, and am in pharmacy school).

anyone have any advice? any alternative creams or ointments I can put on the rash other than a prescription steroid?

thanks

-steph

MemberMember
(@paper-mario)

Posted : 02/20/2009 7:11 pm

I always just put a bit of normal moisturizer on once a day. When I forget, it takes 2-3 days for it to return.. But when I put it on again it goes away within the day.

Try out any normal moisturizer, it should work.

MemberMember
(@jcraig2008)

Posted : 02/20/2009 10:56 pm

It's completely normal/common on Accutane. My derm said he sees it all the time. Rubbing Aquaphor or moisturizer on the backs of your hands daily will take care of it.

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 02/20/2009 11:08 pm

And drinking lots of water. :)

MemberMember
(@messica)

Posted : 03/05/2009 2:11 am

also, since aquaphor is really greasy, something that I have found that works great night and day is "vaseline petroleum jelly cream" or the generic walmart kind. It is in the lotion section, I found it on the bottom shelf. It is hypo-allergenic, fragrance free and it absorbs almost completely ;)

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 03/05/2009 3:42 am

also, since aquaphor is really greasy, something that I have found that works great night and day is "vaseline petroleum jelly cream" or the generic walmart kind. It is in the lotion section, I found it on the bottom shelf. It is hypo-allergenic, fragrance free and it absorbs almost completely ;)

This or just plain old petrolatum jelly.

Winter combined with frequent hand-washing (I'm a nurse) turns my hands into crusted, bleeding, flaking messes without petrolatum jelly. Remember that warm water and a cool water rinse will also help your skin retain its moisture better than if you were to essentially boil your hands in hot water regularly!

Apply the moisturizer (whichever you choose) after EVERY hand-washing and throughout the day regularly. At night you can apply petrolatum jelly and wear cotton gloves and wake up to pleasantly soft, happy hands.

MemberMember
(@leelee22)

Posted : 03/05/2009 7:30 am

I get Eczema on my hands sometimes if I don't moisturize, and this has only been exacerbated since I started Accutane. I'm taking 60mg/day, btw. I have just been putting a layer of Cerave cream on my hands at night before going to bed, and it has almost cleared up completely :) You can give that a try if you don't want to use something as thick as petroleum jelly/Aquaphor.

MemberMember
(@atorres2996)

Posted : 10/28/2012 10:09 pm

I've been using Claravis for about 3 weeks. So far my acne has gotten better on my jaw line but its still pretty bad in my major areas like my forehead and chin. My skin is terribly flaky- beyond belief like my face is peeling even my scalp and it looks like i have dandruff!! D: Im so frustrated and itchy!! i constantly put lotion on and chapstick but now ive noticed a bunch of little rashes EVERYWHERE on my legs and they now look like they have scabs on them?? they burn too- i've had eczema slightly before but now its insane!! ughh now they're appearing on my arms and thighs!! i've noticed that you took this pill years ago so im just wonder does it really get better towards the end of the 5 months of torture. is it really worth all of this??

MemberMember
(@hazelglaze)

Posted : 10/29/2012 6:27 pm

Sounds like eczema. I got it too about 4 months into treatment. Mine was also pretty subtle but I could feel the roughness on the back of my hands. I showed it to my derm during my appointment and she prescribed a steroid cream that cleared it right up.

MemberMember
(@atorres2996)

Posted : 10/30/2012 10:06 pm

Is there any type of pill that can help with it?? my skin is pretty dry already and i hate having to put on extra cream on my trouble areas (which is everywhere!!)