Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GradGirl

constipation and accutane?

Recommended Posts

Did anyone experience constipation while on accutane and figure out a good solution for it? I'm going to start increasing my fiber intake and maybe also buy some raisins and prune juice - any other thoughts?

I've been drinking plenty of water (esp. since I seem to have dry mouth from the accutane), but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm only on Day 3 of accutane and am wondering if this particular side effect will be with me all through the course of treatment, or does it sometimes pass as your body adjusts? Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

i would say within 1/2 weeks you will really feel the side effects if you have just started them. and the more the doss is upped the more you feel them generally or have different side effects.

ive been on them for over two months now and my side effects are:

-Dry lips

-Dry Skin

-Nose Bleeds

-Sore joints

-Dry eyes

Not had constipation though!, raisens and fibres would be good, take plenty of a morning with your breakfast. that should help and maybe of a night a little snack.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ~ I can definitely already feel the dry eyes and dry lips starting, although I'm sure it'll really hit me in a week or two. I'm just worried about being constipated because that seems to imply that the accutane is effecting my GI track. Does anyone know if this is true? Should I be worried? I am going to have to stop my course early?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Fibersure - It comes in powder form and I put it in tea and drink it every night, it works very well but takes several days to really kick in. I just started taking 80mg/day of Sotret (generic tane) today,but i take the Fibersure regularly just because it's good for you regardless to keep things flushed out of your system

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I noticed a difference, too. Seems like it just slows it down because of the dehydration. I just started Accutane this week and noticed. I was taking Metamucil Clear and Natural once a day before Accutane. Now I take it twice a day and am making sure to get 6-8 glasses of water a day, back to normal. Upping the fiber and drinking more water makes all the difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First few days, my digestive system was whacky. My body wasn't used to the pills. I had stomach cramps.

Now, I feel fine! I drink green smoothies in moderation (kale is my best friend) + lots of water + lentil soup/hot soups + green tea daily + eating almonds & raisins

If your feeling bloated, experiencing pain from the constipation, see your doc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 4, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Catalyst123 said:

If you are constipated by accutane or getting sulfur smelling farts. you should immediately stop it means its effecting your GI tract. Which could lead to chrons disease or colitis. Some damage is irreversible. Personally I had to stop during my second course. My stools were narrow and pellet sized, and my intestines felt restricted. my GI tract was a mess.

Hey Catalyst123, it really seems as if you know what you're talking about in regards to digestive health. I   need some advice and I would really appreciate it from you, thanks. I was on Doxycycline from 15-17 (on and off) for acne treatment. I went on Accutane around 9 months ago and started getting some of the symptoms you've described about 3 months into the course. My intestines felt restricted and my poop was black and pellet sized. I stopped the medicine and went to my gastroenterologist. He concluded that there was no blood in my stool and ordered me to receive a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. After the surgery, he said that it looked like I was fine to go back on Accutane. I got a notice to go back on approved by the gastroenterologist and my primary care doctor. I started back on the medicine 2 months ago, and just recently I started getting the same symptoms as before when I previously decided to stop the medicine. I have about 2 bowel movements a day and when I do have one, after I'm done using the bathroom, it feels as if more has to come out but nothing does. I'm left with this feeling of a slight need to have a bowel movement for the majority of the day. However, this time, the stool looks normal. I've read up on the studies that show the increased risk in getting IBD, Crohn's, and Colitis if you've taken antibiotics for a long time before hopping on Accutane (which I have done). I really don't want to get a serious disease in regards to my digestive tract as I plan to join the military and this would ruin my goals in life. I do still have a lot of scar tissue and redness all over my face (no true acne, although my derm says it will all come back if I stop the course ), so what do you recommend, should I continue or hop off? 
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/4/2017 at 0:24 AM, Smed99 said:
Hey Catalyst123, it really seems as if you know what you're talking about in regards to digestive health. I   need some advice and I would really appreciate it from you, thanks. I was on Doxycycline from 15-17 (on and off) for acne treatment. I went on Accutane around 9 months ago and started getting some of the symptoms you've described about 3 months into the course. My intestines felt restricted and my poop was black and pellet sized. I stopped the medicine and went to my gastroenterologist. He concluded that there was no blood in my stool and ordered me to receive a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. After the surgery, he said that it looked like I was fine to go back on Accutane. I got a notice to go back on approved by the gastroenterologist and my primary care doctor. I started back on the medicine 2 months ago, and just recently I started getting the same symptoms as before when I previously decided to stop the medicine. I have about 2 bowel movements a day and when I do have one, after I'm done using the bathroom, it feels as if more has to come out but nothing does. I'm left with this feeling of a slight need to have a bowel movement for the majority of the day. However, this time, the stool looks normal. I've read up on the studies that show the increased risk in getting IBD, Crohn's, and Colitis if you've taken antibiotics for a long time before hopping on Accutane (which I have done). I really don't want to get a serious disease in regards to my digestive tract as I plan to join the military and this would ruin my goals in life. I do still have a lot of scar tissue and redness all over my face (no true acne, although my derm says it will all come back if I stop the course ), so what do you recommend, should I continue or hop off? 
Get off the Accutane immediately. The symptoms you describe sounds very alarming. I can't understand that your dermatologist still has you on the drug after you've told him about your digestive discomfort.

I've used Accutane myself and it ruined my health so I know what I'm talking about! Stop the medication.
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Washer said:
Get off the Accutane immediately. The symptoms you describe sounds very alarming. I can't understand that your dermatologist still has you on the drug after you've told him about your digestive discomfort.

I've used Accutane myself and it ruined my health so I know what I'm talking about! Stop the medication.
Thank you for the response,  I really appreciate it. I went off of the medicine 3 days ago (and will never be going back on), my bowel movements are back to normal (stool wise), however, Im still left with a slight urge to defecate after having a bowel movement. I also have pain when I press down hard on specific parts of my abdomen (it may gass but idk). I started intaking very high amounts of probiotics  and eating a bunch of vegetables/fruits to hopefully reverse this like last time. The main reason my derm put me back on was because my GI doctor thought that my colon was fine. Do you think that something like Chrohns/Colitis could develop in a span of 2-3 months (I got my colonoscopy back in February and shortly after went back on)? Thanks. Edited by Smed99
Change
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/4/2017 at 2:01 PM, Smed99 said:
Thank you for the response,  I really appreciate it. I went off of the medicine 3 days ago (and will never be going back on), my bowel movements are back to normal (stool wise), however, Im still left with a slight urge to defecate after having a bowel movement. I also have pain when I press down hard on specific parts of my abdomen (it may gass but idk). I started intaking very high amounts of probiotics  and eating a bunch of vegetables/fruits to hopefully reverse this like last time. The main reason my derm put me back on was because my GI doctor thought that my colon was fine. Do you think that something like Chrohns/Colitis could develop in a span of 2-3 months (I got my colonoscopy back in February and shortly after went back on)? Thanks.
You did the right thing, my friend. Don't trust doctors, even if they have a lot of fancy titles, ever again, remember that. If you develop long term side effects after Accutane it's their fault. Sue them if it happens.

Good to hear that things for the most part is back to normal. On top of the probiotics get hold of some digestive enzymes too. Slippery elm and marshmallow root could likewise help you. Look them all up. LDN could help you too, but if your only problem right now is a bit of urge after finishing a toilet visit I wouldn't be too concerned. 
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Catalyst123 said:

Sorry for my late reply, and I am sorry to hear about your negative experiences. Yes, I have become quite an expert through my experiences of Accutane and a hell lot of research, and thanks to the info on these boards. As the other person mentioned, yes, I strongly suggest you hop off the Accutane and do not ever go back to it.

Accutane is a systemic class drug and effects every single aspect of your body, especially major detox organs ( IE liver). I use to rave about Accutane and I thought it was a God sent cure, but boy was I wrong.

Recovery from accutane long term effects is POSSIBLE, depending on how far you gone and how much damage was inflicted . For recovery I recommend increase fiber,  Cruciferous vegetables, pro-biotics, and eat a lot of fermented foods, I would recommend a multi-supplement vitamin drink(liquid), L-glutamine works wonders on repairing gut lining, and stay away from all the fast food,junk, processed, etc.

I wish you well and hope your ok. Remember recovery can take time, anywhere from 6 months - years. I would give it 1.5- 2 years for recovery. I recovered from the negative effects of Accutane, in approximately 8 months - 1 year.

16 hours ago, Washer said:
You did the right thing, my friend. Don't trust doctors, even if they have a lot of fancy titles, ever again, remember that. If you develop long term side effects after Accutane it's their fault. Sue them if it happens.

Good to hear that things for the most part is back to normal. On top of the probiotics get hold of some digestive enzymes too. Slippery elm and marshmallow root could likewise help you. Look them all up. LDN could help you too, but if your only problem right now is a bit of urge after finishing a toilet visit I wouldn't be too concerned. 
Thank you guys for your lengthy/informative responses, it's much appreciated. I'm getting a weird mix of dark pellet sized stools and normal stools, it's odd. Hopefully I'll be able to cure myself by following your insights. Thanks again.
Link to post
Share on other sites

it took me 10 years since taking accutane, to realise that lips and the anus are on two ends of the same stick. my lips are dry, and my anus is dry - which is where my constipation and anal fissures came from.

anyway just like i put lip balm on my lips, i've started putting vaseline on my anus after showers, and it has made a huge difference. i dont even need stool softener/fibre supplements anymore. the vaseline works its own way into the anal canal as you walk around, and lubricates everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I've also experienced the negative side effects of Isotretionin (Roaccutane). I made a 5-month-cure in 2005, and I still have thin, dry, over-sensitive skin, over-pigmentation, very dry eyes and worst of all, chronic constipation.

Intrestingly enough, constipation started after a little while after the treatment had been finished, and it became worse and worse over time. I've gone through many examinations and treatments, with no success at all. It lasts for more than 10 years now.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Do you think it could be because of Isotretinoin? I drink plenty of water, eat lots of fruits, I go for a jog every day, but still, it doesn't help.

What would you suggest to do?  

Edited by earlybird
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys. 

I appreciate any advice. My case Is different. I have constipation due to accutane i believe (im finishing third month) but i no longer feel bowel movements. I have to force myself to the toilet because i dont see the need to go. Also im taking magnesium which helps but even of that help i still feel i need to push cautiously as it Is not normal. Anybody Also lost bowel movements? I lowered my dose from 20mg to every other day. I Will stay 15 days like this AND then take it every 3 days AND then stop.... All i know now Is that without magnesium i really cannot release stool. Im afraid to become dependent on this... Any one with similar issues please reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, 

 

I am on month 6 of my second course of  accutane and have been struggling with constipation for the last few years. It is only now that I am thinking accutane is the cause. Does anyone know how long my zero bowel movements could last after stopping treatment? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This peer reviewed article says its possible side effect due to accutanes's effect on the liver. How long this occurs after treatment? At this point that's anyone's best guess. 

Some data has suggested increased in inflammatory bowel disease (chronic/permanent) while other metanalysis suggest otherwise meaning there is not chronic/permanent link to bowel problems and accutane use. 

https://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/medical/issues/sag-16-46-3/sag-46-3-35-1412-142.pdf

Edited by k3tchup
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys

I lasted 15 days with accutane, because i haved constipation during the period, so I stopped taking it. After days I realized that something did not go well in my intestines, I feel pain in 2 areas along with constipation although not as severe as before. now if I continue like this, I will visit the gastroenterologist. I am afraid since 2 parts of my abdomen hurt slightly along with constipation, I only ask God that I have nothing, I trust him. If anyone has the same symptoms let me know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2021 at 2:57 PM, Bedre123 said:

 

Hola, 

 

Estoy en el mes 6 de mi segundo curso de accutane y he estado luchando contra el estreñimiento durante los últimos años. Sólo ahora pienso que Accutane es la causa. ¿Alguien sabe cuánto tiempo podrían durar mis cero evacuaciones después de suspender el tratamiento? 

Hello.

I stopped the accutane after 15 days due to constipation, it's been 2 months since I stopped taking and I'm still constipated with every mild abdominal pain.

Edited by george20
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×