Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide prolongs red marks. True or False?

MemberMember
(@libra27)

Posted : 05/25/2010 12:19 pm

I don't recommend BP for most people because in my experiences with it- your skin can become almost immune to it, and it works fine for a few months and then just stops! I would suggest using a Sal. Acid cleanser instead, something like DermAware Deep and clear. ITs a pure plant cleanser that is soap free and has healing agents in in like: green tea, Tea tree, Sal. acid, Lactic acid, and soothing botanicals. It's a top selling item at the med. spa I work at. But i have gotten mixed responses on all BP washes.

You could also try a topical vitamin K- which help heal redness, pinkness and vascularities in the skin like broken capillaries and dark circles caused by leaky caps. under the skin of the eye area. It also helps to prevent scaring from things like acne. I used it and noticed a big reduction of overall redness in my skin.

maybe think about a clarisonic as well. Those brushes are expensive but awesome. I have the pro and have been using it for less than a week and I actually look forward to cleasing my skin!

I have noticed it has helped my skin and red spots because it deep cleanses and stimulates- check out my post on it! they are so worth the investment in your skin! good luck!

MemberMember
(@hayate)

Posted : 06/03/2010 7:10 pm

Its easy, in BP instructions (at least on mine) it says: "it causes redness simmilar to a sunburn", therefore, your red marks will look more active(more red).

Forget the redness, you should focus on making pimples disapear, that is the most important, redness will fade with time but indent scars no, so just stick with the BP and do not use oily things on your skin unless it was made for people with acne.

Cheers, hope you're better by now!

MemberMember
(@zh17)

Posted : 06/03/2010 7:14 pm

from my personal experience I do think it prolongs red marks, additionally I think bp makes your face red to start with.

MemberMember
(@cab)

Posted : 06/09/2010 12:08 pm

Defs agree, before BP red marks would go in a week, now it's been about 3 with no significant improvement, kind of a downer. Trying out red light to see if that makes it fade, vitamin e helps alot. As for the BP itself, I don't think it is as good as what ppl suggest, really hard on the skin and all. I'm trying out a blue light but for me at this point pimples aren't as bad as they used to be, the red marks sticking round are though! Got one giant one on the left side of my face from where 3 under the skin sort of pimples were, it's my nemesis, I call him Nemesis.

MemberMember
(@patriots81)

Posted : 06/10/2010 11:27 am

In my opinion it absolutely makes red marks stay longer, and i'll even go as far to say as bp might cause them. Before I was on the regimen I had bad acne but when pimples did fade I didn't remember any red marks, as soon as I started the regimen the acne went down but left red marks that look just as bad and now my face is covered in them.(I've been on the regimen about 2 months). It sucks the bp does this but is also the only thing that has made big improvements on the acne i had.

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 12/04/2012 11:07 am

I've been on the regimen on and off for a decade. FOr the last 2 and 1/2 months whenever I get a pimple, it later leaves a red/dark spot that doesn't disappear. It's been close to 3 months and I have ten of them on my face! It annoys me as much as the acne now. I'll have to stop the BP. I think it's the only answer.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/04/2012 4:28 pm

If BP is causing you irritation it's true. If it isn't then it would make the pimple go away faster, thus making the red mark fade quicker than "normal".

Like any peeling agent, you must absolutely make sure you're wearing sunscreen. Sun damage can prolong redness!

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 12/04/2012 4:28 pm

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#prolong

MemberMember
(@dreamer5803)

Posted : 08/15/2020 2:15 pm

Is benzoyl peroxide cleanser strong enough to give you post inflammatory erythema?