Notifications
Clear all

Treating Hormonal Acne The Natural Way?

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 08/24/2015 5:31 am

Okay time for an update. My skin was doing better for a while but a few weeks ago it completely freaked out. I'm waking up with 5 new cystic puss filled bumps every day.. At one point I had to take pain killers just to be able to eat since the zits were so painful. It's also spreader all over my back/shoulders and chest I even had a few bumps on my stomach!

Anyway I asked my gyn about androcur and she said no. So basically there's nothing I can take now. After a bit of googleing I stumbled onto this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693613/

I ordered some red reishi and licorice since those seemed like they had some scientific base on being effective(actual studies).

I've heard licorice can have bad side effects (can raise bp etc) but I'm not too worried because my blood pressure is too low to begin with. I wanted to add white peony to the mix but couldn't find it anywhere. I've read that this combo has worked for people with PCOS.

Has anyone here tried these supplements? Any luck?

Hi lifesnotfair. I am new to this site and stumbled upon your posts after searching for info on vitex. I read that you are vegan. I'm just wondering if you've ever tried a different sort of diet. I respect everyones diet choice but as vegan i wonder if you are eating lots of grains/fruit/high carb. I have found my skin improved alot following a lower carb/paleoish diet. I eat mostly vege, salads, fish, eggs, chicken etc. I only eat very small amounts of fruit and grains. If i was to binge on too much fruit/sugar or grains i get a breakout after about 4-5 days. Happens everytime. I know diet might not b the solution for everyone but lowering carbs might help with blood sugar / insulin issues and therefore lower androgens. Anyway just a suggestion since it sounds like you have tried nearly everything else. Diet alone has not cured me but the improvement is worth it :)

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 08/24/2015 10:17 am

Okay time for an update. My skin was doing better for a while but a few weeks ago it completely freaked out. I'm waking up with 5 new cystic puss filled bumps every day.. At one point I had to take pain killers just to be able to eat since the zits were so painful. It's also spreader all over my back/shoulders and chest I even had a few bumps on my stomach!

Anyway I asked my gyn about androcur and she said no. So basically there's nothing I can take now. After a bit of googleing I stumbled onto this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693613/

I ordered some red reishi and licorice since those seemed like they had some scientific base on being effective(actual studies).

I've heard licorice can have bad side effects (can raise bp etc) but I'm not too worried because my blood pressure is too low to begin with. I wanted to add white peony to the mix but couldn't find it anywhere. I've read that this combo has worked for people with PCOS.

Has anyone here tried these supplements? Any luck?

Hi lifesnotfair. I am new to this site and stumbled upon your posts after searching for info on vitex. I read that you are vegan. I'm just wondering if you've ever tried a different sort of diet. I respect everyones diet choice but as vegan i wonder if you are eating lots of grains/fruit/high carb. I have found my skin improved alot following a lower carb/paleoish diet. I eat mostly vege, salads, fish, eggs, chicken etc. I only eat very small amounts of fruit and grains. If i was to binge on too much fruit/sugar or grains i get a breakout after about 4-5 days. Happens everytime. I know diet might not b the solution for everyone but lowering carbs might help with blood sugar / insulin issues and therefore lower androgens. Anyway just a suggestion since it sounds like you have tried nearly everything else. Diet alone has not cured me but the improvement is worth it :)

Hey thanks for messaging and good luck with vitex hope it works for you :)!

Personally I could never eat meat for ethical reasons and if veganism was the cause of acne everyone not eating animal products would battle with it. I know some people are more prone to acne than others and diet can play a role in it but I really don't believe it is the cause of severe acne (that's been scientifically proven too according to my derm). I tried the whole no carbs thing before, all it did was made me loose weight and I was underweight to begin with.. No effect on my skin what so ever.

As for carbs I eat mostly whole grain bread/pasta but don't follow the "high carb/low fat" diet that seems to be a thing among some vegans.

I'm glad it's working for you though