Notifications
Clear all

Treating Hormonal Acne The Natural Way?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/27/2014 6:38 pm

On 9/13/2014 at 7:06 PM, lifesnotfair said:

I figured I'd do a little update on my skin.

I've been taking Saw palmetto for over a month now and I think it's still early to judge whether it works or not.

Since I've started taking it I feel like I've had more acne but the pimples have been smaller, mostly little red or clear bumps. At the moment I do have one or 2 big painful inflamed pimples but I just got my period so that's probably why.

I haven't really had any side effects except that my boobs were really sore and swollen when I started but that went away in a week.

I think vitex stopped working for me because my cycles have been really irregular for the past 3 months so I stopped taking it. I don't know if sp is affecting it too because my cycle was only 20 days this month when it usually is closer to 40..

I've also done more research on my symptoms(I have night sweats/hot flashes, bad migraines&headaches etc) and figured that i probably have low estrogen. Maybe this is why dim broke me out badly?

Anyway I'm really fed up with my skin and if things won't start to improve soon I think I'll try to go see yet another derm and try to get a prescription for spiro. That's the only thing I haven't tried yet and it seems to help a lot of people. I'm terrified of the idea of an initial break out though..

Spiro is an anti-androgen like saw palmetto, although spiro is a lot stronger and spiro also increases estrogen some.

So saw palmetto = less androgens

Spiro = a lot less androgens + more estrogen

I find estrogen is generally beneficial for the skin. It's anti-inflammatory, and if you take spiro or estrogen long enough you'll find that it sort of softens the skin and your facial features a bit. My whole face is more feminine now after a few years on spiro, even though I weigh less now than when I started. Although I think androgens are the main culprit, remember that estrogen competes with androgens for the same receptors, so if you increase estrogen you're also fighting the androgens that way as well.

If you can't find a doctor to prescribe spiro, you can try giving your skin a little kick with over the counter estrogen cream. Some women apply it on the face, but really the point is to apply it somewhere with good veins so you it can get into your bloodstream. I like to apply to the wrists or the decollatege area.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 09/29/2014 7:44 am

On 9/28/2014 at 5:38 AM, Green Gables said:

Spiro is an anti-androgen like saw palmetto, although spiro is a lot stronger and spiro also increases estrogen some.

So saw palmetto = less androgens

Spiro = a lot less androgens + more estrogen

I find estrogen is generally beneficial for the skin. It's anti-inflammatory, and if you take spiro or estrogen long enough you'll find that it sort of softens the skin and your facial features a bit. My whole face is more feminine now after a few years on spiro, even though I weigh less now than when I started. Although I think androgens are the main culprit, remember that estrogen competes with androgens for the same receptors, so if you increase estrogen you're also fighting the androgens that way as well.

If you can't find a doctor to prescribe spiro, you can try giving your skin a little kick with over the counter estrogen cream. Some women apply it on the face, but really the point is to apply it somewhere with good veins so you it can get into your bloodstream. I like to apply to the wrists or the decollatege area.

I decided it was a good time to go see a derm since I'm really broken out (been eating a lot of sugar and not sleeping well..) He was really nice and took me seriously and seemed to be genuinely interested. I briefly told him my history and he admitted that I have pretty much tried everything. He said that we have to get it treated and did gave me a 6 months course of spiro!! I'm scared and excited at the same time(scared it won't work/will make my skin worse) but I won't know without trying. I'll have to take a blood test in 4 months to see if everything's okay. He said to take the drug in the morning with food and drink plenty, but I don't have to avoid any foods etc. I'll start with 50mg and work my way up to 100mg.

What I'm wondering is this: if my testosterone is normal how will spiro help me? But I guess the blood tests aren't always reliable and if my DHEA was high maybe spiro will help lower that too..

On 9/22/2014 at 10:22 PM, Soozin12 said:

The reason I stopped taking Spiro is because of the side effects of discontinuing..funny reason to discontinue a drug, right? (albeit these are 'potential' side effects, the thought of long-time use freaked me out) & basically because I wanted to see where by body was at hormonally, without taking anything in addition to my birth control pill (been on it 6 years and really don't want to mess with the hormonal fluctuation that will occur from making any changes in that department).

I'm trying to be as natural as I can with my skin care, diet and otherwise. So I figured I'd take the plunge and get rid of the Spiro.

If you are educated about the medication and find a doctor that you trust, I don't want to scare you away from trying something that will work.

Especially when dealing with scarring, I know how painful and frustrating it is to have to deal with active acne and scarring as well. NO FUN. Concerning that though..have you tried aloe vera for moisturizer? I find it helps redness a lot!

My acne was never severe, I feel that vanity caused me to make most of my decisions when it came to skin, and now I'm trying to correct the damage I've caused (I was prescribed Bactrim, preceding Spiro, by a dermatologist who looked at me for about 30 seconds. I never researched the drug and came to find out it is a HARDCORE antibiotic, I've been dealing with digestive and candida issues since)

Just please don't make my mistake and listen to everything they are telling you without doing your own research.

Oh and...The zinc you are taking, is it zinc monomethionine? This form is much, much easier for the body to absorb. and I haven't gotten one stomach ache since starting. Also, I feel that I've seen a bit of reduction in inflammation, as in, my face is less pissed off looking. Still have some painful breakouts though, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the zinc. If I see no further improvement in the next 2 weeks, I am going to start Calcium D Glucarate next month.

So again, I hope I didn't scare you off from Spiro completely, just make sure you are well informed.

Best of luck with everything. Let me know how you're doing when you can!

-Susan

Okay I understand. I don't feel right taking any medicine either and would much prefer a natural remedy. But I feel like I'm waisting my life because of my skin. I don't want to go out or do anything really and feel depressed about it all the time. I guess after all taking meds is a better alternative for me.

I' not sure what type of zinc I take but I don't have a problem with 15mg. I'm glad to hear it's going well for you and also I think with any kind of natural treatment it will take a lot of time before noticing a difference.

Thanks for being so nice and supportive! Good luck to you as well!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/07/2014 2:24 pm

Sorry to tell you this, but there is no "6 month course" of spiro...if you truly have a hormonal imbalance --specifically androgen-related -- then you have to continue taking the drug until you hit menopause. Once you stop taking it, your acne will return.

The natural route can take more trial and error, but it is addressing the issue at the core, not finding a crutch that goes against your body's natural way of functioning. Just my 2 cents here.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 10/07/2014 4:13 pm

Sorry to tell you this, but there is no "6 month course" of spiro...if you truly have a hormonal imbalance --specifically androgen-related -- then you have to continue taking the drug until you hit menopause. Once you stop taking it, your acne will return.

The natural route can take more trial and error, but it is addressing the issue at the core, not finding a crutch that goes against your body's natural way of functioning. Just my 2 cents here.

I know that what I meant was he gave me 6 months dose and after that I'll have to go see him again to check in and see how it's going.

I wish there was an easier way but for now I'm so depressed about my skin that I don't really care anymore. I'll probably regret it later on but oh well.. I've waisted enough years on things that only made my skin worse and now I will have scars for the rest of my life. I just want this to be over. Spiro might not even work but I have to give it a try.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/08/2014 1:47 am

I know that what I meant was he gave me 6 months dose and after that I'll have to go see him again to check in and see how it's going.

I wish there was an easier way but for now I'm so depressed about my skin that I don't really care anymore. I'll probably regret it later on but oh well.. I've waisted enough years on things that only made my skin worse and now I will have scars for the rest of my life. I just want this to be over. Spiro might not even work but I have to give it a try.

Sorry you are going through this. I know it seems like a last resort to you, but I'm sure there are other options out there. It's hard to find a qualified naturopath or integrative doctor, but if you have that option I suggest you go for it before jumping on the spiro bandwagon. Also, look up long term side effects of spiro and all the complains people post on this forum. It might work in the short term, but it is ultimately a blood pressure medication, not an acne cure.

About the scarring, don't worry too much about it. I had poke mark-like scarring a year ago, and now it's filling in on its own. Skin can bounce back once the acne is gone.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 11/12/2014 6:09 pm

Thanks wishClean! I do agree with you the natural way is always better but I've pretty much lost all hope for anything ever working.

I've been on spiro now for 6 weeks and I only take 50mg. I'm already thinking of quitting. The side effects aren't too bad but just the potential risk of hyperkalemia scares me. I feel like I can't eat anything because of the potassium. My friends are asking if I've lost weight (wich isn't a good thing since I'm already underweight). I sometimes get lightheaded almost feels like I was drunk. My muscels also feel weirdly stiff, maybe I'm just paranoid. And what comes to my skin it has actually gotten worse which I was expecting.

I also started takeing vitex again for my period which lately I've been getting every other week(15 day cycle)!! This started before spiro so I can't blame it..

I'm thinking about getting some inositol tomorrow if I can find it. Couldn't hurt to try although I'm being really sceptic about it..

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/14/2014 11:55 am

lifesnotfair i am sure you will be fine on the spiro and i wouldnt worry that much about what you are eating. i eat the same way i did before spiro and have been on it for almost 2 years with no issues. your acne will most likely get a lot worse in the beginning when taking it but in about 6 months you should be pretty darn clear from it. seriously though dont worry everything will just be fine just make sure to drink a lot of water everyday. i was scared to take it too which in the end just caused me to get more acne and more scarring. you can get an antibiotic from your derm in the meantime to stop the breakouts until spiro kicks in. i took keflex and it worked very fast. i had no issues getting off it either and my skin is totally clear. if you want anymore info you can pm me. i probably would stop taking the vitex though i dont think you need both.

one more thing you will get lightheaded if you stand up too fast so just stand up slow and like i said before make sure you are drinking a lot of water.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 11/16/2014 5:46 pm

lifesnotfair i am sure you will be fine on the spiro and i wouldnt worry that much about what you are eating. i eat the same way i did before spiro and have been on it for almost 2 years with no issues. your acne will most likely get a lot worse in the beginning when taking it but in about 6 months you should be pretty darn clear from it. seriously though dont worry everything will just be fine just make sure to drink a lot of water everyday. i was scared to take it too which in the end just caused me to get more acne and more scarring. you can get an antibiotic from your derm in the meant

ime to stop the breakouts until spiro kicks in. i took keflex and it worked very fast. i had no issues getting off it either and my skin is totally clear. if you want anymore info you can pm me. i probably would stop taking the vitex though i dont think you need both.

one more thing you will get lightheaded if you stand up too fast so just stand up slow and like i said before make sure you are drinking a lot of water.

Thanks. My doctor told me not to worry about food but it seems that everything I used to eat is on the high potassium list.. I am a vegetarian so I eat tons of veggies, lentils, beans, soy, whole grains etc. What I've read online those are the things you should avoid on spiro.

Yeah I've heard a lot of people break out in the start but I'm not sure if I can take this for 6 months. I just counted about 30 zits on my face and it doesn't end there.. My whole chest and back is covered in acne. I just want to hide under my blanket and cry.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/17/2014 9:50 am

lifesnotfair i am sure you will be fine on the spiro and i wouldnt worry that much about what you are eating. i eat the same way i did before spiro and have been on it for almost 2 years with no issues. your acne will most likely get a lot worse in the beginning when taking it but in about 6 months you should be pretty darn clear from it. seriously though dont worry everything will just be fine just make sure to drink a lot of water everyday. i was scared to take it too which in the end just caused me to get more acne and more scarring. you can get an antibiotic from your derm in the meant

ime to stop the breakouts until spiro kicks in. i took keflex and it worked very fast. i had no issues getting off it either and my skin is totally clear. if you want anymore info you can pm me. i probably would stop taking the vitex though i dont think you need both.

Thanks. My doctor told me not to worry about food but it seems that everything I used to eat is on the high potassium list.. I am a vegetarian so I eat tons of veggies, lentils, beans, soy, whole grains etc. What I've read online those are the things you should avoid on spiro.

Yeah I've heard a lot of people break out in the start but I'm not sure if I can take this for 6 months. I just counted about 30 zits on my face and it doesn't end there.. My whole chest and back is covered in acne. I just want to hide under my blanket and cry. one thing to note i always had chest and back acne too and on spiro that was the first thing to clear up for me.

i think you should be fine but talk to your doctor again about what you eat and see what he has to say. i eat tons of veggies, potatoes, bananas, whole grains and never had any issues so think you will be ok but see what the doctor says. yeah it sucks with the breaking out on the spiro but for me i had no other option besides accutane and i didnt want to go that route so i had to just go with it. i made it 2 months before i asked for the keflex after trying a few other antibiotics that didnt work. the keflex cleared me up with 5 days though and then i stayed on that for a while then weaned off and have been fine ever since. most derms just give the antibiotics with the spiro to catch a lot of that acne you get until it kicks in. it could kick in sooner for you everybody is different. i would keep on the spiro and make sure you use some sort of BHA/AHA daily to keep those pores clear as well.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 11/17/2014 11:49 am

i think you should be fine but talk to your doctor again about what you eat and see what he has to say. i eat tons of veggies, potatoes, bananas, whole grains and never had any issues so think you will be ok but see what the doctor says. yeah it sucks with the breaking out on the spiro but for me i had no other option besides accutane and i didnt want to go that route so i had to just go with it. i made it 2 months before i asked for the keflex after trying a few other antibiotics that didnt work. the keflex cleared me up with 5 days though and then i stayed on that for a while then weaned off and have been fine ever since. most derms just give the antibiotics with the spiro to catch a lot of that acne you get until it kicks in. it could kick in sooner for you everybody is different. i would keep on the spiro and make sure you use some sort of BHA/AHA daily to keep those pores clear as well.

Thanks that makes me feel better. When I asked my doc about it he answered with a very strict no, don't have to avoid anything. After reading these forums I just got paranoid:D

Yeah I don't want to go on accutane either and I'm 90% sure my acne would come back after it so there's really no point.

My doc also offered me antibiotics to help speed up the process but I didn't take it. It never improved my skin at all before and it made me throw up. not fun. He also gave me topical cream with tretinon+clindamycin.

How long did the initial break out last for you and when did you notice things getting better? I guess I have a long way to go.. And I'm still only on 50mg which seems quite low of a dose. I weigh about 115lbs. Maybe I should try upping to 75 soon.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/17/2014 3:42 pm

Thanks that makes me feel better. When I asked my doc about it he answered with a very strict no, don't have to avoid anything. After reading these forums I just got paranoid:D

Yeah I don't want to go on accutane either and I'm 90% sure my acne would come back after it so there's really no point.

My doc also offered me antibiotics to help speed up the process but I didn't take it. It never improved my skin at all before and it made me throw up. not fun. He also gave me topical cream with tretinon+clindamycin.

How long did the initial break out last for you and when did you notice things getting better? I guess I have a long way to go.. And I'm still only on 50mg which seems quite low of a dose. I weigh about 115lbs. Maybe I should try upping to 75 soon.

yeah i wouldnt worry about anything. sometimes its best not to read too much online. always go with what your doctor says when it comes to meds and things. they know more than any of us on this site do unless they are doctors themselves. i agree that is why i went the spiro route my derm said the accutane would shut the acne down while i was on it but that it would come back after i got off of it. i had great luck with doxy and mino but keflex was the only thing that 100% stopped all acne and stopped it fast and with no stomach irritation. did you eat a full meal when taking your antibiotics? that makes a difference too. i broke out really bad for first 2 months on spiro and i got on keflex and then never broke out again after that even after stopping the keflex but yeah i take 100mg everyday. i think its the most effective with that dose at least that is what my derm told me. she said all of her patients take between 100-200mg a day. i wouldnt worry about your weight from what my derm says that has no bearing on how much you can take. i weighed 111 pounds when i started and had i not gone on the keflex and cleared up she was going to have me take 150mg a day.

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 11/17/2014 4:57 pm

yeah i wouldnt worry about anything. sometimes its best not to read too much online. always go with what your doctor says when it comes to meds and things

Nothing against you, tracy521 but that is horrible advice. People need to look into things and educate themselves on what they are putting into their own bodies.

An example of this: I had bad stomach pains for a large chunk of my lifetime, especially after eating anything. I went to a doctor and they put me on a PPI (stops stomach acid) because he assumed I had ulcers. Fast forward weeks or time... the stomach pains were the worst I've ever had, literally on the floor unable to move. I developed incredibly bad acid reflux from it as well, which I've never had a problem with. Instead of going along with his stupid advice, I stopped the PPI's and researched for myself. Turns out I wasn't producing ENOUGH acid in my stomach to digest food properly. Taking betaine HCL after meals fixed the problem, and I didn't need to keep taking it after the pains went away, either.

Doctors (especially GPs) are not knowledgable in every area, and sometimes they know almost nothing about certain issues. Derms deal with a lot more related to skin disorders than just acne, too. They also work with big pharma and are compensated to prescribe. If I would have listened to my derm without any doubts, I'd still be miserable on spiro. It wasn't until I started educating myself that I figured out what direction I needed to take.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 11/18/2014 8:37 am

yeah i wouldnt worry about anything. sometimes its best not to read too much online. always go with what your doctor says when it comes to meds and things

Nothing against you, tracy521 but that is horrible advice. People need to look into things and educate themselves on what they are putting into their own bodies.

An example of this: I had bad stomach pains for a large chunk of my lifetime, especially after eating anything. I went to a doctor and they put me on a PPI (stops stomach acid) because he assumed I had ulcers. Fast forward weeks or time... the stomach pains were the worst I've ever had, literally on the floor unable to move. I developed incredibly bad acid reflux from it as well, which I've never had a problem with. Instead of going along with his stupid advice, I stopped the PPI's and researched for myself. Turns out I wasn't producing ENOUGH acid in my stomach to digest food properly. Taking betaine HCL after meals fixed the problem, and I didn't need to keep taking it after the pains went away, either.

Doctors (especially GPs) are not knowledgable in every area, and sometimes they know almost nothing a about certain issues. Derms deal with a lot more related to skin disorders than just acne, too. They also work with big pharma and are compensated to prescribe. If I would have listened to my derm without any doubts, I'd still be miserable on spiro. It wasn't until I started educating myself that I figured out what direction I needed to take.

I get both of your points. I'm sorry you had to go trough that hearts. I too have some really bad experiences with wrong diagnosis and generally I don't trust GP's at all. For example when I asked my GP to get my hormones tested she said that they don't do that and it has nothing to do with my acne ad hair loss.Yeah right. (And I did get spiro from a different doc who is a dermatologist, just thought I should clear that up).

Anyway in this case the diagnosis is so in your face: acne. And I have a blood test to prove that it's hormonal now. And I do agree with tracy521 that my derm has a better understanding of how this drug works in the body than strangers in the internet. I'm not saying you have to agree with doctors on everything of course you have to listen to your body

Why where you miserable on spiro? I remember reading you got your acne under control with progesterone cream or was it someone else.. I don't think I could try that since my cycles are so irregular I wouldn't know when to apply it. And for some reason the whole thing sounds pretty scary to me

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/18/2014 10:44 am

what i am saying hearts is that many times people go online and get their medical advice from people that are not doctors and often times they read things that aren't true so in your case i get what you are saying but its not good to get all of your medical information from the internet. its good to be well informed but i feel many times when taking meds its best to talk to your doctor about any issues or questions you may have.

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 11/18/2014 12:00 pm

I get both of your points. I'm sorry you had to go trough that hearts. I too have some really bad experiences with wrong diagnosis and generally I don't trust GP's at all. For example when I asked my GP to get my hormones tested she said that they don't do that and it has nothing to do with my acne ad hair loss.Yeah right. (And I did get spiro from a different doc who is a dermatologist, just thought I should clear that up).

Anyway in this case the diagnosis is so in your face: acne. And I have a blood test to prove that it's hormonal now. And I do agree with tracy521 that my derm has a better understanding of how this drug works in the body than strangers in the internet. I'm not saying you have to agree with doctors on everything of course you have to listen to your body

Why where you miserable on spiro? I remember reading you got your acne under control with progesterone cream or was it someone else.. I don't think I could try that since my cycles are so irregular I wouldn't know when to apply it. And for some reason the whole thing sounds pretty scary to me

A lot of women handle spiro just fine but I am not one of them. I was on it for almost two years but at the year one mark I started getting TONS of bad side effects. Gained around 20lbs, hair started shedding like crazy, insomnia, increased anxiety, extreme constipation, to name a few. I know that it was spiro because there are others who have experienced the same thing and shortly after quitting spiro the side effects went away.

My solution was natural progesterone cream and DIM (an anti-androgen and estrogen metabolizer). I still use NPC because it helps with other things, but I successfully weaned off of DIM earlier this year. I don't believe in having to take something indefinitely. That's fine, you don't have to do what I did do what makes you feel comfortable, it's your own body! But just so that the info is out there... NPC can actually help regulate your cycle. I had amenorrhea before starting it but it made my cycle like clockwork. (:

what i am saying hearts is that many times people go online and get their medical advice from people that are not doctors and often times they read things that aren't true so in your case i get what you are saying but its not good to get all of your medical information from the internet. its good to be well informed but i feel many times when taking meds its best to talk to your doctor about any issues or questions you may have.

Okay, I understand better what you mean now, thanks for clarifying! I just think the way you phrased it before was extreme the other way around to blindly follow whatever the doctor says to do or thinks is best. I think there is a balance. I personally have had absolutely no success with doctors or derms of any kind, but that's just me. However, I understand that sometimes they can be helpful especially if they are specialists.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 11/23/2014 2:43 pm

A lot of women handle spiro just fine but I am not one of them. I was on it for almost two years but at the year one mark I started getting TONS of bad side effects. Gained around 20lbs, hair started shedding like crazy, insomnia, increased anxiety, extreme constipation, to name a few. I know that it was spiro because there are others who have experienced the same thing and shortly after quitting spiro the side effects went away.

My solution was natural progesterone cream and DIM (an anti-androgen and estrogen metabolizer). I still use NPC because it helps with other things, but I successfully weaned off of DIM earlier this year. I don't believe in having to take something indefinitely. That's fine, you don't have to do what I did ” do what makes you feel comfortable, it's your own body! But just so that the info is out there... NPC can actually help regulate your cycle. I had amenorrhea before starting it but it made my cycle like clockwork. (:

Ouch that doesn't sound nice. Honestly I don't think I'm handling it that well either. My heart rate got really fast and was pounding really hard. I asked my derm about it and he said it's because of the low blood pressure and that your body should adjust. Well it did and for a few weeks I felt fine but now it's back and for a few days I've also had quite a lot of muscle cramps on my legs, abs and arms. They don't hurt but I feel a very noticeable twitch. I haven't called my derm yet but I stopped taking spiro yesterday because it scares me. If I get such bad side effects only on 50mg I doubt that I could ever handle the 100mg. I'm very bummed about this but hope it's for the best in the long run :--/

So I'm back to square one.This is sooo devastating. I am now taking vitex to help with my irregular cycles but so far no change in that department. I also recently started taking inositol 1g but I sceptic about it because I don't have (not that I know off..) PCOS or insulin problems. I also take and have been taking for months a multivitamin with vitamin A, C ,D , B-complex , Zinc etc.

Hearts sorry if this is a dumb question but what is NPC? Vitex did help regulate my period before but I guess it stopped working after a while.

I'm actually quite interested in trying progesterone cream. The symptoms that I have (other than acne EVERYWHERE and irregular periods) are headaches&migraines, night sweats/hot flashes, mood swings/depression but I think it's due to acne. I had quite bad hair loss before as well but it seems to have calmed down now (knocks on wood). This makes me think I could be low on either estrogen or progesterone and then I also have high DHEA like I've mentioned before. Do you think progesterone would help? If I decided to try it should I stop vitex or any of the other supplements? What brand did you use and how long till you noticed the results? When should I apply it if my cycles are super short (14-19 days lately..)? It used to be the other way around, I just can't keep up with these hormones! It's really annoying having a period every other week I think I'll end up anemic if this won't stop soon :D

Sorry for all the questions I'm just so frustrated and desperate :'I !!

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 11/25/2014 9:34 am

So I'm back to square one.This is sooo devastating. I am now taking vitex to help with my irregular cycles but so far no change in that department. I also recently started taking inositol 1g but I sceptic about it because I don't have (not that I know off..) PCOS or insulin problems. I also take and have been taking for months a multivitamin with vitamin A, C ,D , B-complex , Zinc etc.

Hearts sorry if this is a dumb question but what is NPC? Vitex did help regulate my period before but I guess it stopped working after a while.

I'm actually quite interested in trying progesterone cream. The symptoms that I have (other than acne EVERYWHERE and irregular periods) are headaches&migraines, night sweats/hot flashes, mood swings/depression but I think it's due to acne. I had quite bad hair loss before as well but it seems to have calmed down now (knocks on wood). This makes me think I could be low on either estrogen or progesterone and then I also have high DHEA like I've mentioned before. Do you think progesterone would help? If I decided to try it should I stop vitex or any of the other supplements? What brand did you use and how long till you noticed the results? When should I apply it if my cycles are super short (14-19 days lately..)? It used to be the other way around, I just can't keep up with these hormones! It's really annoying having a period every other week I think I'll end up anemic if this won't stop soon

Yeah, if you are having serious side effects after giving it enough time to adjust then do what you think is best for you... it's not worth risking your health for clear skin. There are literally hundreds of options out there to try if one thing (no matter how popular) doesn't work. Don't lose hope! (:

NPC is just abbreviation for natural progesterone cream. If you want to know more, send me a PM about it... there are a couple members here that seem against it for some reason so I stopped talking about it so much on this board. Again, what works for some doesn't work for others. I think it could help a lot with your irregular periods, hot flashes, migraines, and even leveling your mood. It may or may not help your skin... it's really hard to say. I used Emerita Progest daily (not certain times of the month) about 20-40mg (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon.) Took 3-4 months (the first 2 weeks were like bad pms due to hormones receptors waking up but after that it was smooth sailing.) However, I had severe cystic acne all over so I had to take DIM to clear the rest (mostly on my back) up. Vitex helps with progesterone levels too (as well as blocking prolactin) has it helped you at all? I'm not sure how it compares to the levels in actually using progesterone, however. Hope that helps!

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 11/27/2014 12:15 pm

I'm actually quite interested in trying progesterone cream. The symptoms that I have (other than acne EVERYWHERE and irregular periods) are headaches&migraines, night sweats/hot flashes, mood swings/depression but I think it's due to acne. I had quite bad hair loss before as well but it seems to have calmed down now (knocks on wood). This makes me think I could be low on either estrogen or progesterone and then I also have high DHEA like I've mentioned before. Do you think progesterone would help? If I decided to try it should I stop vitex or any of the other supplements? What brand did you use and how long till you noticed the results? When should I apply it if my cycles are super short (14-19 days lately..)? It used to be the other way around, I just can't keep up with these hormones! It's really annoying having a period every other week I think I'll end up anemic if this won't stop soon

Yeah, if you are having serious side effects after giving it enough time to adjust then do what you think is best for you... it's not worth risking your health for clear skin. There are literally hundreds of options out there to try if one thing (no matter how popular) doesn't work. Don't lose hope! (:

NPC is just abbreviation for natural progesterone cream. If you want to know more, send me a PM about it... there are a couple members here that seem against it for some reason so I stopped talking about it so much on this board. Again, what works for some doesn't work for others. I think it could help a lot with your irregular periods, hot flashes, migraines, and even leveling your mood. It may or may not help your skin... it's really hard to say. I used Emerita Progest daily (not certain times of the month) about 20-40mg (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon.) Took 3-4 months (the first 2 weeks were like bad pms due to hormones receptors waking up but after that it was smooth sailing.) However, I had severe cystic acne all over so I had to take DIM to clear the rest (mostly on my back) up. Vitex helps with progesterone levels too (as well as blocking prolactin) has it helped you at all? I'm not sure how it compares to the levels in actually using progesterone, however. Hope that helps!

I know I just feel like I've already tried everything. I guess I just have to keep trying.

Oh okay. That sounds weird, I'll send you a pm about it. Thanks for taking the time to answer !

I believe vitex did help me before but it is hard to tell because I started it the same time I quit birth control. My skin was better (never completely clear though) and my cycles were quite regular. I also had hardly any menstrual cramps for the first time in my life! But around june-july I started getting cystic type acne again and cycles started to get shorter and shorter. I stopped taking it but recently started again so I think it's too soon to tell yet.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 01/16/2015 7:35 pm

I thought I would try to do monthly updates on my progress just to keep track in case anything starts to work.

So I decided to try natural progesterone and started using it a month ago. My periods are really messed up and I'm still not sure when I should be applying the cream. I think I'll have to go to the doctor if this doesn't end soon.

Anyway not much change in acne. I think if anything it's slightly worse but it is hard to tell cause it always kind of fluctuates. Right now I have about 10ish pimples on my face some are deep and painful. Chest is doing better than it has for a while (knocks on wood) and back is covered with smallish bumps that go all the way down. Today I also noticed that the bumps have spread to my arms! Awesome.
Side effects I noticed: sore boobs (went away in a week) and head ache but that's not unusual for me..

I hope things will improve soon

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 06/15/2015 4:05 pm

Okay I haven't been here for a while. I basically gave up with my skin and tried to just live with the acne..

As you can probably guess the progesterone didn't work too well. I used it for good 3 months and I know that's not a lot but I can't afford trying it for 8 months when it's probably not going to work anyway. Also gave another shot for DIM after I found the bottle(s) I didn't finish last year and I've been taking it for about 3 months now. If anything my skin is getting worse but I'll stick with it till the bottle is empty..

I'm trying to work on accepting the thing that this is just something that's gonna be with me forever even though I hate the tought of that. I recently heard of a drug called androcur which is basically an androgen blocker but I'm not sure if I have the energy or the money to try to find a doctor who will prescribe it. Also I don't want to get my hopes up only to get them trashed once again. A heavy chemical drug doesn't really go with the whole "natural lifestyle" I'm trying to maintain either.

Anyway if there's any updates I'll try to post it here in case it helps any fellow sufferers.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/16/2015 7:55 am

Okay I haven't been here for a while. I basically gave up with my skin and tried to just live with the acne..

As you can probably guess the progesterone didn't work too well. I used it for good 3 months and I know that's not a lot but I can't afford trying it for 8 months when it's probably not going to work anyway. Also gave another shot for DIM after I found the bottle(s) I didn't finish last year and I've been taking it for about 3 months now. If anything my skin is getting worse but I'll stick with it till the bottle is empty..

I'm trying to work on accepting the thing that this is just something that's gonna be with me forever even though I hate the tought of that. I recently heard of a drug called androcur which is basically an androgen blocker but I'm not sure if I have the energy or the money to try to find a doctor who will prescribe it. Also I don't want to get my hopes up only to get them trashed once again. A heavy chemical drug doesn't really go with the whole "natural lifestyle" I'm trying to maintain either.

Anyway if there's any updates I'll try to post it here in case it helps any fellow sufferers.

Speaking from experience, androcur is too strong and it was NOT meant to be an acne medication, just like spironolactone. Clearing acne is just ONE side effect, the only positive one, and it's not worth the other health risks just to clear up your skin. Also, androcur is only prescribed in some European countries, not in the US, and there's a reason for it.

If DIM didn't work for you so far, then it probably won't or your dose is wrong, or the brand you are taking is not effective. It would help if you had some indication on what is causing/ worsening your acne, and then you can go from there. By blindly trying things just because they worked for others is not helping.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 06/17/2015 8:17 am

Speaking from experience, androcur is too strong and it was NOT meant to be an acne medication, just like spironolactone. Clearing acne is just ONE side effect, the only positive one, and it's not worth the other health risks just to clear up your skin. Also, androcur is only prescribed in some European countries, not in the US, and there's a reason for it.

If DIM didn't work for you so far, then it probably won't or your dose is wrong, or the brand you are taking is not effective. It would help if you had some indication on what is causing/ worsening your acne, and then you can go from there. By blindly trying things just because they worked for others is not helping.

Thanks wish clean!

I live in scandinavia and I know the drug is prescribed in here. It's the same stuff that's in Diane 35 (also prescribed in here and quite generously..) so I was thinking maybe a small doze might help but I am usually sensitive for drugs so I don't know.. I know it's a heavy duty drug and not very often used although the drug info sheet says it's prescribed for acne and excess hair growth. Then again accutane is just as bad if not worse and I see it prescribed even for mild acne.

I have tested for high DHEA and believe that's the root cause of my problems. I haven't found anything to reduce it. That's why I was thinking about androcur since I believe it attacks DHEA directly (not sure though).

I take nature's way DIM plus which I've heard is good. I take what the bottle says: 1 pill twice a day. I've tried so many natural herbs that I've pretty much stopped believing in anything natural ever working at least not for me.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/17/2015 11:29 am

Thanks wish clean!

I live in scandinavia and I know the drug is prescribed in here. It's the same stuff that's in Diane 35 (also prescribed in here and quite generously..) so I was thinking maybe a small doze might help but I am usually sensitive for drugs so I don't know.. I know it's a heavy duty drug and not very often used although the drug info sheet says it's prescribed for acne and excess hair growth. Then again accutane is just as bad if not worse and I see it prescribed even for mild acne.

I have tested for high DHEA and believe that's the root cause of my problems. I haven't found anything to reduce it. That's why I was thinking about androcur since I believe it attacks DHEA directly (not sure though).

I take nature's way DIM plus which I've heard is good. I take what the bottle says: 1 pill twice a day. I've tried so many natural herbs that I've pretty much stopped believing in anything natural ever working at least not for me.

If you have DHEA issues, DIM is probably not the right approach, as it mainly targets "bad" estrogens. I suggest visiting a good naturopath and/or acupuncturist who can pinpoint what your issues are and treat you accordingly. Also, this is actually good advice for a starting point: http://www.naturalacneclinic.com/naturaltreatmentofhormonalacne/

I was prescribed everything from acutane to birth control to spironolactone to androcur to antibiotics during the many years of acne issues, but I'm here to show people that there's no need to resort to extreme measures if more natural options can work just as well. You just have to figure out what your acne triggers are, that's why going to a good naturopath/ holistic or integrative doctor and/or acupuncturist can help you get on the right path.

MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 06/18/2015 4:05 am

If you have DHEA issues, DIM is probably not the right approach, as it mainly targets "bad" estrogens. I suggest visiting a good naturopath and/or acupuncturist who can pinpoint what your issues are and treat you accordingly. Also, this is actually good advice for a starting point: http://www.naturalacneclinic.com/naturaltreatmentofhormonalacne/

I was prescribed everything from acutane to birth control to spironolactone to androcur to antibiotics during the many years of acne issues, but I'm here to show people that there's no need to resort to extreme measures if more natural options can work just as well. You just have to figure out what your acne triggers are, that's why going to a good naturopath/ holistic or integrative doctor and/or acupuncturist can help you get on the right path.

I thought so too but then I read a study saying it acts as an androgen antagonist as well and decided to give it another shot.

Thanks for the link although after a quick read it seems like I'm already doing all of that. I eat a healthy diet for the moist part anyway (I'm vega, lots of veggies etc) I used to be super strict with my diet: zero sugar, no grains, no carbs. I was miserable at that time and my skin still wasn't much better so I allow myself more treats these days. I don't really believe that diet CAUSES acne, sure it can make it worse if one's prone to it.

I believed in natural remedies too that's pretty much the whole point of starting this "log" :D But after so many disappointments I've started doubting..

We don't really have holistic doctors where I live nor could I even afford going to one if there was. I don't really believe in acupuncture (no offence :)) and don't want to spent tons of money on something like that. I've wasted so much of it on skin care and doctors that at this point I'm actually pretty broke..

megtree liked
MemberMember
(@lifesnotfair)

Posted : 08/14/2015 5:50 am

Okay time for an update. My skin was doing better for a while but a few weeks ago it completely freaked out. I'm waking up with 5 new cystic puss filled bumps every day.. At one point I had to take pain killers just to be able to eat since the zits were so painful. It's also spreader all over my back/shoulders and chest I even had a few bumps on my stomach!

Anyway I asked my gyn about androcur and she said no. So basically there's nothing I can take now. After a bit of googleing I stumbled onto this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693613/

I ordered some red reishi and licorice since those seemed like they had some scientific base on being effective(actual studies).

I've heard licorice can have bad side effects (can raise bp etc) but I'm not too worried because my blood pressure is too low to begin with. I wanted to add white peony to the mix but couldn't find it anywhere. I've read that this combo has worked for people with PCOS.

Has anyone here tried these supplements? Any luck?