Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Log

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 07/13/2013 10:30 am

Quick update today. I am in day 69, and things this week have not been too great. I got a new pimple almost everyday this week. Most of them were smaller and went away quickly, but still really annoying. One of them was pretty big. I can't complain too much bc it went away after 2 days. I haven't gotten that kind of pimple in a couple weeks. So I was really disappointed. I feel confident this medicine will work, but I

second guess that quite often. I feel like my life is a roller coaster. I am happy about my face

one day, but then the next day I feel so

depressed. I just really hope it works.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 08/04/2013 10:04 am

Day 91

I finished three months! Crazy! Went by so fast. I have not updated in awhile. The last day I updated was on July 13th (as you see above). I got a huge pimple on the side of my face that day. Well, two and a half weeks went by and I did not get a single, inflamed pimple. I was thrilled. Then, on July 31, I got two big ones right in the middle of my cheek. UGH! I picked at one of them. I try not to pick, but I just did. And it made it worse. The pimple turned into an ugly scab and just bleeds. I get so mad at myself. Why did I have to touch it? I don't know. Sometimes I can't resist. It is SLOWLY healing. I know it will take awhile. I know it will leave a mark that will take a very long time to go away.

Things appear to be settling down again. At least I hope so. I just can't believe I didn't get an inflamed pimple from July 13 to July 31. That was a long stretch for me. I really think Spiro is working (hopefully). I have no side effects. The brown marks from old acne seem to be getting better.

Any advice or experiences?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/04/2013 12:54 pm

I know its tough to not pick! Trust me I know. The first thing I do when I see a pimple is get the urge to pop it. You have to fight it girl. I don't get inflamed acne anymore either knock on wood. But about once or twice a month I do get one or two tiny whiteheads and I do prick them with a pin and let it drain on its own. I don't squeeze anything out of them. That way I avoid scarring and or making my hyper pigmentation any worse. It also seems to speed up the healing process.

Besides that, Congratulations on the no breakout period you went through! Isn't that just great once that starts to happen. The 3 months it takes for spiro to usually kick in takes so long and you really start to doubt that the medication is going to do anything for you then all of a sudden it does! It all becomes worth it at that point. You are on the mend hun and those break outs are going to get further and further apart until all of a sudden there are no break outs! Congratulations that you have found a medication that is working for you!

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 09/17/2013 4:52 pm

Day 135

So I am very sorry for not updating in such a long time. Truth is, I have been very depressed about my face, and I couldn't bear to put it into words. Right after my last post, things seemed to be going pretty well. But shortly after that, I began I notice very small pimples in certain areas in my face. It pretty much looked like a rash. It wasn't too bad, and I consistently used my tretinion, Atalin. Well the continued use of this gel made my face dry and tight, which added to my misery. I was only using a pea size. Last weekend, it got worse. Monday, September 9, was horrible. I called out of work because I could not face anyone. This was the first time I ever had to do this and it completely devastated me. I scheduled an appointment for that day. The doctor really didn't give me any answers. They basically wanted me in and out. My doctor office is VERY well known in my state, but has way too many patients. And I know my doctor doesn't think I am severe, so I feel like they don't want to waste any extra time. I mean she walked in, without even looking at me, she said do you just want to do accutane, you tried everything else. I said no. I asked for an increase of Spiro, and she said fine. So I am on 150 now. It's been a week on 150, and now my face looks better than it has in a long time. The bumps are going away. However, I can't say I am in the clear because my face is so unpredictable. But I can say right now I am very happy with it. Also, since my face got to irritated from the tretinion, atralin, I have not used it since last Saturday, September 7. And like I said I have seen a big improvement since then. Any advice about this? Or experience? I know if I call my doctor, they will tell to continue to use and it should help. But I rather hear from you! Thanks for reading!!

MemberMember
(@travellinggal1170)

Posted : 09/17/2013 8:54 pm

Day 135

So I am very sorry for not updating in such a long time. Truth is, I have been very depressed about my face, and I couldn't bear to put it into words. Right after my last post, things seemed to be going pretty well. But shortly after that, I began I notice very small pimples in certain areas in my face. It pretty much looked like a rash. It wasn't too bad, and I consistently used my tretinion, Atalin. Well the continued use of this gel made my face dry and tight, which added to my misery. I was only using a pea size. Last weekend, it got worse. Monday, September 9, was horrible. I called out of work because I could not face anyone. This was the first time I ever had to do this and it completely devastated me. I scheduled an appointment for that day. The doctor really didn't give me any answers. They basically wanted me in and out. My doctor office is VERY well known in my state, but has way too many patients. And I know my doctor doesn't think I am severe, so I feel like they don't want to waste any extra time. I mean she walked in, without even looking at me, she said do you just want to do accutane, you tried everything else. I said no. I asked for an increase of Spiro, and she said fine. So I am on 150 now. It's been a week on 150, and now my face looks better than it has in a long time. The bumps are going away. However, I can't say I am in the clear because my face is so unpredictable. But I can say right now I am very happy with it. Also, since my face got to irritated from the tretinion, atralin, I have not used it since last Saturday, September 7. And like I said I have seen a big improvement since then. Any advice about this? Or experience? I know if I call my doctor, they will tell to continue to use and it should help. But I rather hear from you! Thanks for reading!!

I think it's a good idea to hold off on using the tretinion and atralin. It sounds like they're causing irritation to your skin. What helped me is using a very gentle skin care regime day and night, avoiding the use of Retin-A or any topical acne treatment. Less is more here. Use a good sunscreen to help any hyper pigmentation heal. Is your doctor getting blood work done with the 150 mg/day? If everything is okay with that and your doctor is okay with this dosage and your skin is clearing up, then it might be worth sticking with it.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 09/18/2013 5:21 am

Day 135

I think it's a good idea to hold off on using the tretinion and atralin. It sounds like they're causing irritation to your skin. What helped me is using a very gentle skin care regime day and night, avoiding the use of Retin-A or any topical acne treatment. Less is more here. Use a good sunscreen to help any hyper pigmentation heal. Is your doctor getting blood work done with the 150 mg/day? If everything is okay with that and your doctor is okay with this dosage and your skin is clearing up, then it might be worth sticking with it.

Thanks for your response. That is what I was thinking about he gel. I am getting blood work done, and everything is normal. I also have zero side effects. Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 11/23/2013 6:32 pm

So I am reaching the 7th month mark on Spiro. All is going well. I am clear except I do get new spots now and then. This past week, I have noticed hair strands falling out very easily and I am starting to get concerned. Is this a side effect of Spiro and is there anything I can do about it? Thank you. I am taking 150 mg. I have been on that since September with no other side efftects.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 11/23/2013 8:14 pm

So I am reaching the 7th month mark on Spiro. All is going well. I am clear except I do get new spots now and then. This past week, I have noticed hair strands falling out very easily and I am starting to get concerned. Is this a side effect of Spiro and is there anything I can do about it? Thank you. I am taking 150 mg. I have been on that since September with no other side efftects.

I got severe shedding as a side effect from spiro and I know others have experienced the same thing as well. Some people also report that they get a little shedding and then it levels off after a while. I'd suggest just keeping an eye on it for now.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 11/24/2013 1:02 pm

I got severe shedding as a side effect from spiro and I know others have experienced the same thing as well. Some people also report that they get a little shedding and then it levels off after a while. I'd suggest just keeping an eye on it for now.

Thanks for the response. I figured it was from the Spiro. I finally got my acne under control so I would hate to stop or lower my dosage. What did you do?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 11/24/2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for the response. I figured it was from the Spiro. I finally got my acne under control so I would hate to stop or lower my dosage. What did you do?

I waited about 6 months to see if the shedding would stop, but it never did so I had to stop taking spiro. My hair continued to fall out for about 6 months after stopping spiro and then it finally went back to normal. By that time I'd say I lost about 1/3 of my hair maybe. I have tried spiro more than once and I have also tried yaz and yasmin and I always get this side effect, unfortunately. I wouldn't worry too much yet, though. Like I said, many people have noticed the hair loss going away after some time. Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get out of control.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 12/21/2013 7:55 am

Day 231

So I am in my 8th month. All was going well until this month. I am getting random new pimples everyday. They are small though. Why is this happening??? I am starting to get very frustrated!! Thanks for any opinion.

MemberMember
(@sanjoseroo)

Posted : 12/22/2013 1:33 am

I have no advice to offer in your case, but really empathize with your situation. I hope you find the combination that works for you. I am hoping that 150 mg of spiro (week 3) and nothing else but ACZone topical works for me in the long term. I don't really believe in this whole notion of "purge" since I have been off birth control for 2 years and do not have other medical conditions such as PCOS. Good luck Cali from SanJose-Roo.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 12/22/2013 8:35 am

I have no advice to offer in your case, but really empathize with your situation. I hope you find the combination that works for you. I am hoping that 150 mg of spiro (week 3) and nothing else but ACZone topical works for me in the long term. I don't really believe in this whole notion of "purge" since I have been off birth control for 2 years and do not have other medical conditions such as PCOS. Good luck Cali from SanJose-Roo.

Thanks so much!! I am hoping it will last for a short time then go back it what is was. I had a bumpy road but I did see improvement within 2 months. Let me know if you have any questions. I am also on 150 as well. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 03/29/2014 6:46 am

I have been on Spiro since last May. I have not gotten an inflamed pimple since January (which was just one). I have been getting random small spots that are not inflamed and do not leave a mark, but are very annoying. So I decided to go back to atralin gel last night. I feel a big difference today. I was using clindmycin. I think that stop working.

So overall, Spiro does work but it takes time. I have to get blood work again. What do they check for? My last results were good. I was just wondering the concern for doctors to check for this medication.

I will update soon about the small random spots.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 04/27/2014 10:57 am

Quick update, I have def seen improvement on the small spots by using Atralin. I make sure I just use a very small amount so my face does not get dry, which it doesn't. I have been on a Spiro for almost a year. I can't say my face is perfect, I still get small break outs but it def works. It takes time and patience. It was a bumpy road for me.