Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone?

MemberMember
(@material)

Posted : 06/08/2013 7:43 pm

So I've seen a lot about Spiro on here. Is it similar to Accutane? Do they work differently? Is Spiro better than Accutane?

I don't know much about this drug so anyone who knows about it or who has been on (or is on it) please share info!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/08/2013 9:30 pm

It's not similar to accutane. Accutane is Low dose chemotherapy or vitamin a toxicity.

Spiro is a androgen muter. Androgens cause hormonal acne and spiro mutes those androgens thus stopping acne. Spiro is a much safer drug than accutane. I took accutane last year and 3 months after completing a 7 month course I starting to get acne again. So I hopped on the spiro bandwagon. It's been working wonders for me with no side effects to speak of. I might have peed more often in the beginning of taking the pills. But I got used to them. The spiro is also a diuretic hence needing to use the bathroom more.

Spiro will only stop new acne from forming it won't kill off any active acne you have. For that I use witch hazel and it brought it under control. But you could use anything BP or acv retin a stuff like that.

MemberMember
(@material)

Posted : 06/08/2013 9:37 pm

It's not similar to accutane. Accutane is Low dose chemotherapy or vitamin a toxicity.

Spiro is a androgen muter. Androgens cause hormonal acne and spiro mutes those androgens thus stopping acne. Spiro is a much safer drug than accutane. I took accutane last year and 3 months after completing a 7 month course I starting to get acne again. So I hopped on the spiro bandwagon. It's been working wonders for me with no side effects to speak of. I might have peed more often in the beginning of taking the pills. But I got used to them. The spiro is also a diuretic hence needing to use the bathroom more.

Spiro will only stop new acne from forming it won't kill off any active acne you have. For that I use witch hazel and it brought it under control. But you could use anything BP or acv retin a stuff like that.

Glad to hear Spiro has been working for you!

A few more questions if you don't mind.. How long do you take it for? Did you get a bad initial breakout when you started?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/08/2013 9:47 pm

I have been taking spiro for about 4 months now, this isn't a medication like accutane that you have a set course of time you will be on it. I plan on being on it for as long as I can if I have any more children I'd stop then, then I would start back up on it . If you stop taking the spiro you will break out again just like everything else it need continuous usage. I didn't get a bad break out what so ever. Maybe a few more little whiteheads but nothing to even concern yourself with. It was all just good