Notifications
Clear all

Diet And Acne

MemberMember
(@y0y0ma)

Posted : 12/23/2013 3:46 pm

So my acne is cleared up from the regimen, but I'm still dealing with lots of leftover marks on my face. I know to get rid of these, I just have to wait for my skin to heal and these melanin unbalances that make the marks will go away. Now you guys probably believe that these are called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, but I think it's the same thing.

These marks were recently made worse because I was given vitamin a by a person at a grocery store because they said it'd be good for skin. I thought, "its a vitamin, what harm could it do?". Well it damages skin to promote newer looking skin, which basically reversed my healing. Now I'm trying to figure out what things I actually need to get in my diet for my skin to properly heal itself.

So far, I have:

Omega 3; for skin repair (MUST get these in diet)

Probiotics; to put good bacteria in my skin to cancel out any bad effects that Benzoyl Peroxide might have

Essential Amino Acids; for skin health (MUST get these in diet too) (I was losing weight from working out, so I was kinda getting low on these)

To prevent me from going insane from frustration, are there any more things that I need to get in my diet for skin health, besides just the basic vitamins?

MemberMember
(@larssonn)

Posted : 12/26/2013 10:15 am

So which vitamins damage skin to promote newer looking skin? I'm curious about this..

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/26/2013 10:09 pm

I would eat a low glycemic load diet with lots of fruit and veggies.

MemberMember
(@andrew1997)

Posted : 12/27/2013 12:18 am

I avoid chips, doritos and ice-cream because I find that I get bad luck and end up with a breakout the day later.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 12/27/2013 12:28 pm

Vitamins A and D, zinc, and omega 3 fatty acids.

If you have money, I would buy butter oil/fermented fish oil (don't worry it doesn't taste as bad as it sounds): http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Products/ButterCodLiverBlend/

(In case linking isn't allowed, the site is Green Pasture, and they're the only place that sells it)

I prefer the chocolate flavor. Half a teaspoon a day and your skin will have a wonderful texture, and red marks will fade. This will give you A, D, and omega 3s. Add a 35mg zinc tablet once daily and you'll be all set.

MemberMember
(@markd343)

Posted : 12/27/2013 3:52 pm

Read up on the vitamin before taking. Like side effects, recommended dosage, overdose symptoms. Too much of a vitamin can do more damage then good so slowly work into it. Everyone reacts differently.

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 12/27/2013 6:52 pm

Why would you want to take a derivative of a vitamin? It would be much more beneficial to receive the vitamin via the fresh, raw, whole food that it is a part of. So, instead of taking a vitamin supplement, find the whole foods that are rich in the particular vitamin you wish to use and go along that route. Your body knows what to do with these whole foods, it was designed to for gods sake.

MemberMember
(@markd343)

Posted : 12/28/2013 7:18 am

The reason you take vitamins is because the majority of foods dont come close to providing your daily dosage needed. And on top of that the body doesnt absorb all the vitamins from your food. Thats why a lot of people who change their diets dont recieve results.

MemberMember
(@m1m1m1)

Posted : 12/30/2013 1:51 am

I agree with low glycemic, and lots of live foods. I basically follow a "eat it if it looks now the same way it did when it came out of the earth" diet as often as I can. I eat a lot of fermented probiotics, such as Kombucha, Apple Cider Vinegar, Saurkraut and they seem to help me. I also try to eat a lot of garlic, ginger, tumeric. As far as vitamins though, It depends, females need different supIements than males (for examle, women often need more iron as we lose blood monthly, and need vitamin B/Folic acid if on birth control, etc,) but in general, I would be vary. Taking vitamins is nowhere near as good for the body as eating a healthy diet. concentrated large doses of vitamins have been shown to damage the liver. It's true, sometimes people take vitamins because the body doesnt get enough of what it needs from diet, but vitamins also rovide much tooooo much. Sometimes I take a vitamin every coule days. But taking them everyday is, in my oinion, more harm than good. I'd say stick with moderation and getting most things from food itself.

MemberMember
(@y0y0ma)

Posted : 12/30/2013 12:18 pm

So which vitamins damage skin to promote newer looking skin? I'm curious about this..

I was taking 200% vitamin a for a while and I noticed my skin was trying to reproduce way faster than it should. My skin kinda got harder and sometimes peeled. It was bad for my red marks that I've gotten because those require that the skin heal and it can't heal when it's being damaged like that.

HOWEVER, if I was old and fighting wrinkles I would definitely use that vitamin a that I was using I think it would do really good in keeping young skin.

So I've been on those 3 things, probiotics, omega 3, and drinking a protein shake that has all amino acids, and my skin has healed faster than it ever has and my red marks have gone away more than they ever have. I would definitely recommend trying these three things if you struggle with red marks because I think these 3, or at least omega 3 and amino acids, give the body what it needs to heal your skin.

To be exact, i take about 1.5 grams of omega 3 a day, 1 billion cfu, and like 1/2 a protein shake which has more than enough amino acids. I also take a multivitamin which has all other kinds of vitamins and zinc and whatnot. I checked and my multivitamin only has 50% vitamin a.