Notifications
Clear all

Dairy Makes Me Breakout

MemberMember
(@sharlin)

Posted : 11/04/2013 12:28 am

I have finally confirmed it, for sure. There's all the times I get horrible acne bumps after eating bagels with cream cheese, as I have recently been eating it but discovered breakouts. Just a few nights back I had icecream, almost immediately my face began flaring up. Fast forward to a few days later, I have consciously eliminated dairy from my diet and all of a sudden my face is spotless.

The reason I never foundout until now is because tomatoes make me breakout. It's critical, because in the past whenever I ate steak I'd put barbecue sauce over it every time then breakout, hence I dismissed any single dietary cause as the cause of my acne. Avoiding meat and dairy would be impossible, but now that I know it's just dairy I can give this a shot(and thus avoid dairy).

I'm interested in trying this for the longterm, I will give you an update on whether this fails or not.

For now checkout this article, I was curious and came across some very interesting information. Apparently most of the milk(and as a result all other dairy) comes from pregnant cows, the hormones meant for the babies when ingested by humans causes serious acne.

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 11/04/2013 7:32 am

agreed, dairy is a trigger for me, and I'm too scared to experiment back in small doses with yogurt or my beloved mozzarella on pizza

it's a hard one to avoid, but I do it gladly!

MemberMember
(@sharlin)

Posted : 11/06/2013 11:35 pm

It's been 3 days now since going dairy-free, my face is significantly clearer than it was before.

The problem is avoiding dairy. Even most bread has dairy in it, so it's an issue. Ramen seems to be the solution, as its high in fats(I'll need it if dairy is no longer a factor) and very high in calories, considering it's a very cheap item.

MemberMember
(@zach-zach)

Posted : 11/09/2013 8:41 pm

Really interesting stuff OP... it's tough to avoid dairy (especially in North America) but it's do-able. Keep it up! Just be careful with Ramen as most of their stuff is incredibly high in sodium. No idea how old you are, but if your family has a history of heart disease / strokes and such, be careful with too much sodium. Are you a college student? If so, eat all the Ramen you want... it's one of the college student food groups in and of itself lol.

Btw, I'm of the belief that humans were never intended to drink the milk of an entirely different species without suffering negative side effects. Good to know you're researching the issue! Most people just accept dairy as a needed part of life....

MemberMember
(@sharlin)

Posted : 11/15/2013 2:12 am

Really interesting stuff OP... it's tough to avoid dairy (especially in North America) but it's do-able. Keep it up! Just be careful with Ramen as most of their stuff is incredibly high in sodium. No idea how old you are, but if your family has a history of heart disease / strokes and such, be careful with too much sodium. Are you a college student? If so, eat all the Ramen you want... it's one of the college student food groups in and of itself lol.

Btw, I'm of the belief that humans were never intended to drink the milk of an entirely different species without suffering negative side effects. Good to know you're researching the issue! Most people just accept dairy as a needed part of life....

Ah, well the ramen backfired. It's funny you mentioned strokes, I had gone 6 days straight eating nothing but ramen and I had nonstop migraines halfway into it, and at that point I began breaking out... However, that's because it was extremely unhealthy, apparently. I had a feeling I'd of had a stroke, even though I'm only 21.

The thing about dairy, is it's so impossible to avoid that going dairy-free is not something I can do. I've been having nuts and ramen, yet I can still have dairy every now and then(every other day) without breaking out. I don't need to be an anti-dairy nazi, just knowing too much dairy is bad for my skin is a big win for me. Now I know not to guzzle down a whole block of cheese.

Long story short; lately I've been avoiding dairy but not completely removing it from my diet. My skin still looks just as amazing.

MemberMember
(@zach-zach)

Posted : 11/16/2013 11:18 am

Ah, well the ramen backfired. It's funny you mentioned strokes, I had gone 6 days straight eating nothing but ramen and I had nonstop migraines halfway into it, and at that point I began breaking out... However, that's because it was extremely unhealthy, apparently. I had a feeling I'd of had a stroke, even though I'm only 21.

The thing about dairy, is it's so impossible to avoid that going dairy-free is not something I can do. I've been having nuts and ramen, yet I can still have dairy every now and then(every other day) without breaking out. I don't need to be an anti-dairy nazi, just knowing too much dairy is bad for my skin is a big win for me. Now I know not to guzzle down a whole block of cheese.

Long story short; lately I've been avoiding dairy but not completely removing it from my diet. My skin still looks just as amazing.

Well I'm not too surprised about the ramen! Back when I was in college, my roommates and I would eat that stuff ALL THE TIME and I almost always felt like a zombie afterwards. Lots of bloating and discomfort accompanied by headaches every once in a while... and I don't get headaches often, so there was a pretty clear correlation. But, everything in moderation! Eating one food for 6 days straight will probably make any normal person go insane from boredom alone.

You're right about dairy. It's tough to avoid completely. At least you sound like you've made a big stride in finding that it harms your skin if you eat too much of it. Good job & good luck!

MemberMember
(@alyssa-lee)

Posted : 11/19/2013 5:51 pm

How long does it take to solidify that dairy is the cause?

MemberMember
(@sharlin)

Posted : 11/27/2013 7:30 am

How long does it take to solidify that dairy is the cause?

It took me 21 years.