Notifications
Clear all

Dermatologist Help!

MemberMember
(@skinwillbeclear)

Posted : 09/12/2013 7:14 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new to this website but pretty much I'm a 14 year old girl who struggles with acne. My main problem area is my forehead and I use to only get pimples on my forehead but this summer I started to get pimples on my cheeks and mouth area. Typically I have 10-15 pimples (mainly whiteheads). I have tried numerous drugstore products like neutrogena, clean and clear, etc. When those didnt work I tried Murad Acne Complex which did help and almost completely cleared my acne but then all of the sudden it stopped working. Now I have been trying to control my acne but I can't anymore. One thing ive noticed is when I eat no dairy/gluten/sugar my skin is clearer but not 100% clear..but its so frustrating and hard to not eat any of those things so I cant control my acne that way. So I'm seeing the dermatologist tomorrow and I'm nervous! What normally happens for a first time visit with a dermatologist? What would they most likely out me on? I honestly do not want to try tons of creams and gels I want something powerful because I've been dealing with this acne for 2+ years! Thanks guys!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/12/2013 10:00 pm

Many women have cleared completely with spironolactone (I am one of them), without having to change their diet.

It is a fairly mild anti-androgen drug that mutes the effects of testosterone (which creates the acne).

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 09/13/2013 9:29 am

When i was on spiro i could eat everything i wanted. Dairy, sweets, grains everything with no problem at all. However i think that this won't be his/her first suggestion. I believe he will try first topicals and only if they don't help he will consider oral treatments.

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 09/13/2013 5:15 pm

The Derm will probably get you to try a topical such as Differin or Duac + maybe an antiobiotic.