Notifications
Clear all

Just Wanted To Let Everyone Know About Zinc Oxide

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/28/2012 4:27 pm

I use OCM for my cleansing and it takes it right off. Diaper cream is not water permeable, so you have to use oil to dissolve and wash it away.

If you have olive oil on hand, that will work. Then you can follow with your normal cleanser, but I literally just use oil.

BTW, what were you using before to get it off? Or were you just staying home with a white face??

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/28/2012 7:05 pm

I use OCM for my cleansing and it takes it right off. Diaper cream is not water permeable, so you have to use oil to dissolve and wash it away.

If you have olive oil on hand, that will work. Then you can follow with your normal cleanser, but I literally just use oil.

BTW, what were you using before to get it off? Or were you just staying home with a white face??

i was using water haha and it wasn't coming off!! i tried some evening primrose oil and it comes off much easier now. i will try the olive oil

my acne is still looking good from this. but i did get 2 new spots today and i am very happy because i will now be able to continue using this method. use oil to get the zinc oxide off!

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/28/2012 7:09 pm

I wore the zinc all yesterday afternoon, overnight, and most of today. I just washed it off about an hour ago because I'm having people over (not cute). Still no change. Didn't expect there to be, but you never know. LOL

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/28/2012 7:43 pm

well today i actually broke out a little but it could be because i ate some evening primrose oil yesterday!!! i think it is. someone on this forum told me once the primrose oil can be inflammatory because it has too much of one of the omega's. I'm not sure but i did get 3 little white heads today. i kind of made them worse when i was trying to get off the zinc oxide by brushing them vigorously and then putting hot water on them which is always bad for acne as far as i have experienced.

anyway and then i took 6 lactobacillus pills. i usually only take 1 a day. each one has 8 billion in it so today i had around 50 billion. i am also going to buy some goodbelly probiotic drinks tomorow because they have a lot of probiotic in them and then i'm going to get some peppermint oil capsules because they kill bad bacteria in the gut. i am now pretty much convinced that my acne comes from my gut. i read this article on it: http://gutflora.com/?p=344#treatment

i think this makes sense because it explains why a western diet triggers acne as well as why vitamin d helps acne and why antiobiotic like tetracycline work so well for me. That is why i took some garlic pills and drank some lemon juice today. The lemon juice will strenghen my stomach acid to help digestion so that i get less bad bacteria. The garlic is antibacterial so it should kill some bacteria in my gut to help the probiotic repopulate my gut.

Oh and zinc is also linked into the gut so that makes sense why zinc is helpful for so many peoples acne. it said that zinc helps keep the bad bacteria at bay somehow or until our own immune system kills them

The more and more I read the more and more I think that acne is just the sign of something that is wrong inside of our body. i am buying more and more into the idea that it is expelling toxins from our body

I also read a funny post on people who use snail gel to help their acne! haha. I grew up around snails and i really hate them and can't imagine putting their slime on my face. apparently a lot of celebrities are using it. And hippocrates who said that all diseases originated in the gut used to crush up snails and mix them with milk as something to get rid of skin redness and irritation. Anyway so all in all i think that acne is probably the symtoms of a disease and not a disease in itself. I also think that when we put topical things on these only mask the symtoms and don't get rid of the problem inside of us. I think acne therefore is a product of the way we live today. I don't think it should be considered normal for us to get acne. I think it shows a problem in our society and humans can not deal with and is creating infections and toxins in their bodies. i don't think god created us so he could give us acne scars and even disfigure them with it. Humans have probably caused this problem with all the proccessed foods and toxins we are exposed to in this day and age.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/28/2012 11:53 pm

I would agree with that. I have IBS and my skin is usually a direct correlation to my stomach. Unfortunately there's no fixing IBS and my regular GI and my holistic GI have tried it all. I just do quarterly natural cleanses and eat clean. Now I'm working to get my skin as good As it can be ( not looking for perfection) with the disease in conjunction with hormones since my hysterectomy. Fingers crossed!

MemberMember
(@syrupop)

Posted : 12/29/2012 12:11 am

I use jojoba oil to take it off in the middle and then just wash my face with dan cleanser and put on some moisturizer. It been 4 days and i am see major results. Ty

Ichance23 for telling me about thisrolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/29/2012 12:24 am

I'm so glad to see that Syrup is having great results, looking forward to sharing I the joy!!

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 12/29/2012 10:23 am

I use Desitin and it does almost nothing for my pimples :( I use it on small papules without a head and they dry up about a week after, but I have no idea if the Desitin has anything to do with it since most of my papules heal in a week anyway. I find that it works best on pimples that have already been popped. Other than that, I've had pretty much no luck with zinc oxide/diaper rash cream..

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/29/2012 10:31 am

Day 3 of the Diaper Cream Challenge!! Lol

I'm seeing some improvement. Can be 100% sure it's simply the zinc though. If you check my signature you can see everything I'm doing, but it certainly hasn't hurt! I also added lavender essential oil to my OCM the same night, but it is pretty great! Everything has dried up and is on the way out, I have 1 new pimple on m chin, but I was messing with a clog so that's my fault. So far really happy, no complaints!

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/29/2012 4:12 pm

I would agree with that. I have IBS and my skin is usually a direct correlation to my stomach. Unfortunately there's no fixing IBS and my regular GI and my holistic GI have tried it all. I just do quarterly natural cleanses and eat clean. Now I'm working to get my skin as good As it can be ( not looking for perfection) with the disease in conjunction with hormones since my hysterectomy. Fingers crossed!

i purchased pepogest peppermint oil today and will be taking 2 capsules a day. i have read before about people using peppermint oil tea and it helped their acne.

I use Desitin and it does almost nothing for my pimples sad.png I use it on small papules without a head and they dry up about a week after, but I have no idea if the Desitin has anything to do with it since most of my papules heal in a week anyway. I find that it works best on pimples that have already been popped. Other than that, I've had pretty much no luck with zinc oxide/diaper rash cream..

you should try a different one. i don't think this will work for everyone but you should look for one without a lot of clogging things. i found one that has no parabens, petroleum, or fragrance and it has worked well. before i was using sudocrem which is 15% zinc oxide but it has fragrance which can clog the pores or something else in their which can clog pores and it broke me out big time.

while this hasn't helped with the scars yet i am happy to say i am looking much more clear. i haven't had any pimples on my right side of my face and none on my forehead at all in the last week.

today i also purchased goodbelly probiotic shots and i took one with 20 billion probiotics in it.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/29/2012 7:12 pm

i found an excellent site with info all about how zinc oxide works! i have to say it is working extremely well for me!

heres the link: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-uses-of-zinc-oxide-for-acne.htm

and heres the info: "Topical creams and oral supplements are two ways of using zinc oxide for acne treatments. The mineral can fight the bacteria present in acne lesions, suppress the production of overactive oil glands, and help regulate hormones. Moderate to severe acne may be treated with both topical and oral zinc oxide. Some individuals also use zinc oxide products to enhance the benefits of more traditional acne medications, such as benzyl peroxide.

One of the uses of topical zinc oxide for acne is the reduction of surface skin oil. Zinc oxide ointments and lotions are effective in drying up excess oil, which is thought to be one of the main causes of acne. Regular applications of zinc products on the skin can also help infections heal faster. Topical zinc oxide dries up oil and has been shown to be as effective as antibiotics at reducing acne-causing bacteria.

Oral supplements are taken by individuals who wish to use a natural alternative to oral antibiotics and prescription strength retinoids. Using zinc oxide for acne in this manner can be beneficial for patients who have an excess amount of androgen and testosterone. Mild to moderate acne has shown the most promise in using oral zinc supplements in place of traditional antibiotic treatments, such as tetracycline and doxycycline. A somewhat higher than normal daily intake can help balance hormones in the bloodstream and regulate the skin's oil gland activity.

Another possible use of zinc oxide for acne includes the idea of combination therapy. Some acne patients use both natural and prescription medications when attempting to treat the disorder. For instance, a patient may alternate between applying benzyl peroxide and a zinc oxide ointment to his skin. Other people take oral supplements while using topical antibiotics or retinoid creams.

Patients with severe blemishes may be able to use zinc oxide for acne as part of a maintenance program. While acne that is persistently severe and inflammatory usually requires prescription strength medication, zinc supplements can help patients control acne once the medication is discontinued. Since long-term oral antibiotic use can be harmful, zinc can keep bacteria in balance once prescriptions reduce it to normal levels. Topical zinc ointments might be able to reduce the severity of acne lesions and prevent them from becoming more inflamed.

A side benefit of topical zinc oxide lotions is that they tend to prevent scarring and hyper-pigmentation with moderate acne. Some potential scarring from severe acne might also be avoided with regular use. By reducing inflammation and encouraging proper collagen growth, the skin is able to repair itself with less damage"

wow i wish i had found zinc oxide years ago!!!

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/29/2012 9:29 pm

evening primrose oil actually caused me to breakout!!! i was completely clear from the diaper rash cream and yesterday i consumed 6,000 mg of EPO for the first time in a week and then i got 2 new whiteheads and now a small whitehead on my right cheek which hasn't even broken out. now im not sure EPO caused the breakout but i remember posting and telling people to use it to cure their acne! one guy told me it could actually make my acne worse because it has some oil in it that is inflammatory. i looked it up and turns out he was right. i also googled evening primrose breakouts and found multiple people claiming that epo broke them out. i'm not sure if that is because it is an omega 6 and it causes an imbalance of the omega 3 and 6? this is possible. all i know is it could have caused me to breakout. i was completely clear from the diaper rash cream before. i will know if it did in the next week because i have stopped taking EPO and i'll see if my skin goes back to clear.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/30/2012 12:52 pm

skin is looking really good this morning. just one small pimple that i had yesterday that is not as tender as a result of me using the zinc oxide on it. and one blemish on the other side of the face. i have been doing about 8 things but they are working well. i think it could be the vitamin D kicking in, Today i am going to buy some vitamin D so i can topically apply it. anyway, zinc oxide is working really well.

MemberMember
(@cal07)

Posted : 12/30/2012 9:24 pm

Can i use the up & up brand and is it supposed to make your whole face white when u put it on or did i get the wrong kind

Thanks,

Cal

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/30/2012 9:29 pm

Can i use the up & up brand and is it supposed to make your whole face white when u put it on or did i get the wrong kind

Thanks,

Cal

its supposed to make your whole face white.

MemberMember
(@cal07)

Posted : 12/30/2012 9:32 pm

The Up & Up brand has parfum in it, i take it it will probably do more damage then good and clog my pores since it has that in it

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/30/2012 9:34 pm

found some amazing stuff on omega 3's and chromium today. heres the links:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-brewers-yeast-for-acne.htm

http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2010/11/acne-depression-omega-3-vitamins-and.html

first, i found a study in germany where brewers yeast cured acne after 5 months. i take brewers yeast when i lift for the protein content but i don't take it everyday. it is beleived it works because it balances the insulin levels. I will start taking it everyday.

also the second article is amazing!!! look at these before and after pics of this girl who took omega 3 pills!

heres the before:

heres the after:

that is amazing! also look at this quote:

"Acne is accompanied by the overproduction of Sebum, a waxy oil, in addition to inflammation, hormonal shifts, and infection. Inflammation is one of the earliest manifestations of the disease, particularly mediated by a leukotriene called LTB4. This inflammatory chemical helps up-regulate sebum production, and you might be interested to know that the omega 6 fatty acid derivative arachidonic acid is made into LTB4, while the omega 3 fatty acid EPA (from fish) inhibits the conversion of arachidonic acid to LTB4. A study of 1000 teenagers in North Carolina showed lower incidence of pustules, acne cysts, and oily skin in those teenagers consuming the most fish. Another study showed that patients with acne ate low amounts of seafood."

wow! i am not going to search for these studies because i believe they exist! i have seen people say fish oil helped their acne but i had no idea that omega 3 inhibited ltb4 which causes too much sebum!!!!! this is amazing!! i will start taking 2 tablespoons fish oil a day!

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/30/2012 10:01 pm

everyone take a look at this study on ncbi: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18618363

here is a copy:

"The acid skin surface pH has antimicrobial activities. Increased growth of Propionibacterium acnes contributes to the pathogenesis of acne. Therefore, the pH of inflammatory acne lesions was determined prior to and after lesional acidification employing Herpifix (Courage + Khazaka, Cologne, Germany), a microphoretic system. The pH was correlated with the number of acne lesions. A total of 30 volunteers with acne vulgaris participated in this crossover study applying either Herpifix or a dummy to inflammatory lesions. Prior to treatment, the pH of acne lesions was 5.7 +/- 0.2 (mean +/- SD) and 22 lesions (mean +/- 10) were counted in an 8 x 8 cm(2) facial surface area. Fifteen volunteers (group A) used Herpifix first for 3 weeks and then the dummy, while the other group of 15 volunteers (group B) used the dummy first and then Herpifix. In group A, the lesional surface pH and number of lesions decreased (p < 0.01) initially. When the dummy was used over a second 3-week treatment period, the skin surface pH and number of acne lesions increased. Findings for group B were vice versa. When both groups were compared at the end of the study, a significant difference in pH values (p < 0.001) and the number of acne lesions (p < 0.05) was obtained. Herpifix may be considered as a new therapeutic option for inflammatory acne.

basically lowering the ph of our skin can kill the bacteria. so what i am doing is applying apple cider vinegar topically to my skin during the day. apple cider vinegar has malic acid. this stuff is great for acne because it is an AHA. Take a look at this study on AHA's: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20461041

here is the conclusion of that study: "The results of this study, while confirming the high tolerability and efficacy of this AHA cream in the treatment of mild/moderate acne, reasonably suggest its possible use also in monotherapy. Furthermore, its use can be reasonably hypothesized as a maintenance treatment after specific pharmacological treatment even in more severe acne types."

the malic acid in acv is good for acne but the acidity of acv lowers skin ph eventually. By putting it on topically you can mimic an AHA which also gets rid of wrinkles and you lower the ph of your skin, thereby killing bacteria!

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/31/2012 9:33 am

Great info! I already use ACV diluted in green tea as a toner and it's great!

It can be a bit drying, so watch out for it, and dilute further if you find this is the case. It's also fantastic for perioral dermatitis. I applied full strength to the 2 spots of dermatitis and it was GONE the next day. I have 2 inflamed spots where I picked at the dermatitis, so that's on me!

No change yet from the zinc oxide and this is day 5. I have 5 cysts remaining on my left cheek, and everything else is still healing. I think it has helped some of the hyperpigmentation, since it looks less like raw hamburger and just looks like cystic acne. So maybe it's improving that.

I am not putting anything on today besides the Hemp seed oil. My skin is so dry and flaky from the SA peel and the Differin combined with Spiro oral, that I can't wear make up. I look like my face is made out of paper. Gross. So I'm just giving it a day to hydrate, so I can wear make up to the NYE party tonight.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 12/31/2012 1:06 pm

My husband recently had localized outbreak of Shingles, and his doctor prescribed zinc oxide cream to heal the break out. He picked up a CVS brand with 40% zinc oxide and it worked very well but smelled awful! I've been on the lookout for a high percentage zinc oxide cream without fragrance ever since I saw his results and read about the healing effects of topical zinc oxide. Finally, I found a product last week called Baby by Avalon. It has 21% zinc oxide and is unscented and has good ingredients in it. In 2 days t cleared up an under-the-breast rash that I have been battling for years. I'll see if my son is willing to give it a try on his acne and report back. Here's a link:

http://www.avalonorg...inc-diaper-balm

ichance23 - What was the severity of the acne you had that cleared up with topical zinc oxide?

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/31/2012 1:26 pm

My husband recently had localized outbreak of Shingles, and his doctor prescribed zinc oxide cream to heal the break out. He picked up a CVS brand with 40% zinc oxide and it worked very well but smelled awful! I've been on the lookout for a high percentage zinc oxide cream without fragrance ever since I saw his results and read about the healing effects of topical zinc oxide. Finally, I found a product last week called Baby by Avalon. It has 21% zinc oxide and is unscented and has good ingredients in it. In 2 days t cleared up an under-the-breast rash that I have been battling for years. I'll see if my son is willing to give it a try on his acne and report back. Here's a link:

http://www.avalonorg...inc-diaper-balm

ichance23 - What was the severity of the acne you had that cleared up with topical zinc oxide?

my acne consists of really small cysts that can last a week or a week and a half and i would get about 5 new whiteheads a day that would last about 4 days. they were all over the place but especially under the mouth and next to the sides of my eyes and my left cheek.

on my back i have these really large pimples that usually last 1 week.

The zinc oxide has cleared everything. i just have one small cyst-like pimple on my right eyebrow today and one small whitehead that is nearly dry under the left side of the mouth. The zinc oxide is great because if any acne does come up then it stops it immediately from becoming any bigger or more developed. I think I will be 100% clear very soon.

I found this study showing that zinc oxide is as effective as benzoyl peroxide: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10671963

here is a copy:

"Forty-one subjects completed a double-blind controlled randomized study comparing the following: (i) Nels cream (containing chloroxylenol and zinc oxide); (ii) 5% benzoyl peroxide cream; and (iii) the vehicle of the Nels cream. Patients applied the medications twice daily for 8 weeks. At the end of the test period there was no significant difference in the reduction of inflammatory and noninflammatory lesion counts achieved by Nels cream and benzoyl peroxide. Both creams proved superior to the vehicle. Efficacy grading by subjects and investigators showed no significant difference between Nels cream and benzoyl peroxide. However, side-effects such as peeling and dryness caused by the treatment were significantly less in the Nels cream group."

this is great stuff and why i chose it in the first place. so i expect to see the full results of this after 2 months. I have only been on it for 9 days and my skin has not been this clear since i was on minocycline and differin. It's crazy how fast it worked.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/31/2012 2:07 pm

just found this on the relationship of vitamin E and A levels to acne. it says that low levels of both causes acne. here it is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16681594

"Vitamin A and E are lipid soluble antioxidants that are necessary for our health. Deficiency in these vitamins can cause serious diseases. Administration of vitamin A and E to patients with acne was shown to improve their acne condition.

AIMS:

To test the relationship between plasma vitamin A and E levels and acne.

METHODS:

Plasma vitamin A and E concentrations were determined by high performance liquid chromatography in 100 newly diagnosed untreated patients with acne and were compared with those of 100 age-matched healthy controls. Patients were carefully graded using the Global Acne Grading System.

RESULTS:

We found that plasma vitamin A concentrations in patients with acne were significantly lower than those of the control group (336.5 vs. 418.1 mug/L, respectively) P = 0.007. We also found that plasma vitamin E concentrations in patients with acne were significantly lower than those of controls (5.4 vs. 5.9 mg/L) P = 0.05. In addition, we found that there is a strong relationship between decrease in plasma vitamin A levels and increase in the severity of acne condition. Patients with severe acne had significantly lower plasma concentrations of vitamins A and E than did those with lower acne grade and the age-matched healthy controls.

DISCUSSION:

Based on our results, we conclude that low vitamin A and E plasma levels have an important role in the pathogenesis of acne and in the aggravation of this condition."

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/31/2012 2:11 pm

Supplements are great, just bear in mind that having too much or too little of anything Can cause acne. anyone who has a deficiency in something, they can be improved by supplements. Typically, if someone is eating a balanced healthy diet, nothing more than a multivitamin is required. I just caution people to start loading up on supplements. Just because it's natural, doesn't mean its totally safe.

Just my 2 cents.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 12/31/2012 2:11 pm

http://www.wisegeek....st-for-acne.htm

http://evolutionaryp...tamins-and.html

first, i found a study in germany where brewers yeast cured acne after 5 months. i take brewers yeast when i lift for the protein content but i don't take it everyday. it is beleived it works because it balances the insulin levels. I will start taking it everyday.

also the second article is amazing!!! look at these before and after pics of this girl who took omega 3 pills!

heres the before:

heres the after:

"Acne is accompanied by the overproduction of Sebum, a waxy oil, in addition to inflammation, hormonal shifts, and infection. Inflammation is one of the earliest manifestations of the disease, particularly mediated by a leukotriene called LTB4. This inflammatory chemical helps up-regulate sebum production, and you might be interested to know that the omega 6 fatty acid derivative arachidonic acid is made into LTB4, while the omega 3 fatty acid EPA (from fish) inhibits the conversion of arachidonic acid to LTB4. A study of 1000 teenagers in North Carolina showed lower incidence of pustules, acne cysts, and oily skin in those teenagers consuming the most fish. Another study showed that patients with acne ate low amounts of seafood."

wow! i am not going to search for these studies because i believe they exist! i have seen people say fish oil helped their acne but i had no idea that omega 3 inhibited ltb4 which causes too much sebum!!!!! this is amazing!! i will start taking 2 tablespoons fish oil a day!

Definitely a good point about the fish oil- but please don't overdo it! Especially if you're planning on taking the yucky synthetic/capsule form. That type of vitamin A can be toxic in large doses. Nevertheless I completely agree with what you posted. And just a tip: there are many other sources of Omega 3. SAD diets are just way too high in omega 6 and such to compensate. Eliminate your consumption of vegetable oils (all of them), and up your intake of things like hemp seeds, chia seeds and flax meal (which I've been adding to my daily smoothies, mmmm).

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/31/2012 2:14 pm

http://www.wisegeek....st-for-acne.htm

http://evolutionaryp...tamins-and.html

heres the before:

heres the after:

Definitely a good point about the fish oil- but please don't overdo it! Especially if you're planning on taking the yucky synthetic/capsule form. That type of vitamin A can be toxic in large doses. Nevertheless I completely agree with what you posted. And just a tip: there are many other sources of Omega 3. SAD diets are just way too high in omega 6 and such to compensate. Eliminate your consumption of vegetable oils (all of them), and up your intake of things like hemp seeds, chia seeds and flax meal (which I've been adding to my daily smoothies, mmmm).

yes i agree completely. and i take fish oil out of the bottle in liquid form and it has no vitamin A in it! thanks for the advice.