Notifications
Clear all

Lip Line Acne!?

MemberMember
(@donegone)

Posted : 03/18/2011 1:11 pm

Greetings and thank you for this support community, this question is a last-ditch effort to find resolution in a problem that has received no alleviation from numerous clinical diagnosis and treatments. Thank you for your time in reading!

My question is: how does one effectively cleanse/treat acne that develops on the lip line (where skin meets the lips)?

I am a 27 year old male. I have been suffering from chronic acne around the mouth & chin for nearly 6 years, with pustules & inflammation developing on the lip line for near 3 years; occurences recently have been roughly around once per month. These areas have been tested and cultures for herpes 1 & 2 along with blood-work with all negative results. Three separate clinicians have all concluded that these are acne inflammations that form on the lip line.

My current 'regimin' which has been followed strictly for the past two months has been: 2.5% BP cleanser every morning (AcneFree Severe Antibacterial Cleansing Wash); & 1% adapalene prescription (generic differin cream) treatment every night. I also just discontinued Doxycycline after 3 months use 100mg 2 x a day.

Almost all BP products & acne cleansers including prescription topical ointments specifically state to avoid contact with lips and the mouth, however these are precisely the problem areas which I am so desperately trying to clear. Per the dermatologists instructions I have been using both the cleanser and applying the topical medication on the lip areas, and have seen some improvement in frequency reduction (have had up to as many as 5 appearances at a time) especially around the mouth and chin (skin areas) within the last three weeks, however the worst (month-long) inflammation i've yet to experience has been developing on my upper lip and finally reached a critical stage where I attempted to unsuccessfully force fluid out using warm compresses and in losing patience I squeezed the 'fluid' out of a tiny pore and saw minimal pus discharge, but mostly just caused a cut on the skin that has only emitted small amounts of blood. The area is now extremely red, with some of the swelling/fluid substance gone, replaced by a cut, scabbing, and a hugely bright red area in its stead that looks like an awful cold sore.

Has anyone in the community had experience in dealing with acne pustules on the lip line area? Ways to prevent occurences, and treatments once they do occur. In addition now that I am dealing with a worse condition related to my impatience are there any suggestions that anyone may have for treating a raw area which could most likely lead to scarring?

Thank you for your time

MemberMember
(@cpfaff10yahoo-com)

Posted : 03/18/2011 1:13 pm

Greetings and thank you for this support community, this question is a last-ditch effort to find resolution in a problem that has received no alleviation from numerous clinical diagnosis and treatments. Thank you for your time in reading!

My question is: how does one effectively cleanse/treat acne that develops on the lip line (where skin meets the lips)?

I am a 27 year old male. I have been suffering from chronic acne around the mouth & chin for nearly 6 years, with pustules & inflammation developing on the lip line for near 3 years; occurences recently have been roughly around once per month. These areas have been tested and cultures for herpes 1 & 2 along with blood-work with all negative results. Three separate clinicians have all concluded that these are acne inflammations that form on the lip line.

My current 'regimin' which has been followed strictly for the past two months has been: 2.5% BP cleanser every morning (AcneFree Severe Antibacterial Cleansing Wash); & 1% adapalene prescription (generic differin cream) treatment every night. I also just discontinued Doxycycline after 3 months use 100mg 2 x a day.

Almost all BP products & acne cleansers including prescription topical ointments specifically state to avoid contact with lips and the mouth, however these are precisely the problem areas which I am so desperately trying to clear. Per the dermatologists instructions I have been using both the cleanser and applying the topical medication on the lip areas, and have seen some improvement in frequency reduction (have had up to as many as 5 appearances at a time) especially around the mouth and chin (skin areas) within the last three weeks, however the worst (month-long) inflammation i've yet to experience has been developing on my upper lip and finally reached a critical stage where I attempted to unsuccessfully force fluid out using warm compresses and in losing patience I squeezed the 'fluid' out of a tiny pore and saw minimal pus discharge, but mostly just caused a cut on the skin that has only emitted small amounts of blood. The area is now extremely red, with some of the swelling/fluid substance gone, replaced by a cut, scabbing, and a hugely bright red area in its stead that looks like an awful cold sore.

Has anyone in the community had experience in dealing with acne pustules on the lip line area? Ways to prevent occurences, and treatments once they do occur. In addition now that I am dealing with a worse condition related to my impatience are there any suggestions that anyone may have for treating a raw area which could most likely lead to scarring?

Thank you for your time

Do you rest your chin in your hand or drool when you sleep?

MemberMember
(@donegone)

Posted : 03/18/2011 1:26 pm

No I do not

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 03/19/2011 7:37 am

ughhh...I get them too. They're so incredibly painful. I think my toothpaste was causing them. Since I've switched I haven't had a problem.

Unforunately, I have not figured out a way to get rid of them except to leave them alone!!! It seems like when I pick at them they only get worse.

Also, since I've started using the Olay Pro X Brush, my skin has been amazing. I'm finally clearing up at a fast rate. Also, when I do get a blemish, even one on my lip, and I use the brush, it clears up a lot faster than if I just used my hands.

MemberMember
(@vapor1)

Posted : 03/19/2011 11:34 am

Try brushing with baking soda for a couple weeks. Sometimes chemicals in the toothpaste can cause mouth acne. For me, dairy seems to cause acne around my mouth also. Try to eat a healthier diet in general.

MemberMember
(@acdc1)

Posted : 03/19/2011 10:19 pm

I occasionally do (although I also sometimes get cold sores). I know when it's a pimple, though, because it ALWAYS comes to a head. I know that it's horrible, but I always pop them, then ice them to let the swelling go down, then put Neosporin on it. I don't know if that's the healthiest way to deal, but it works for me.

I don't get them frequently enough to consider it a problem, although it sounds like you do. Maybe it's an irritation, like someone said, from food, toothpaste, or drool (sounds gross, but some people do drool without knowing it). If I were you, I would try the baking soda for a little while, or have a chat with your dentist about other products to try.

MemberMember
(@donegone)

Posted : 03/20/2011 2:28 pm

Thank you all for your replies, I have read about toothpaste potentially being a culprit but have not attempted using baking soda so I will make that switch and see if there is any luck there. Beyond sugary and dairy products are there any other definite things to avoid?

I'm still uncertain as to whether or not using products on this area is beneficial or whether it could be a long-term problem as the products almost all say to avoid contact with the lips. Any thoughts?

The ice technique does tend to help once I can tell pimples start to form, however I still can't pin down what I can do to prevent these areas from turning into pimples in the first place.

Regimin note: I have begun using the cleanser, BP, moisturizer routine in the morning and as of now will use these products on the lip line area

MemberMember
(@michaelg025)

Posted : 08/15/2017 8:56 pm

I know this is an old post, but did anyone find a solution?