Notifications
Clear all

The link between acne & chocolates is no longer a myth

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/17/2012 10:10 pm

^^ With regards to heavy metals still being present. You have to realize most people have a lifetime's worth of halogen accumulation, compounded upon the fact that all public water supplies are fluorinated and sometimes brominated. Everyone is continuously ingesting these metals on a daily basis, because most if not all foods are made or grown with public water sources. (vegetables, fish, fruit, juice, milk, etc, are all going to contain these toxic metals)

You cannot avoid ingesting these halogens completely, but the point of Iodine supplementation is that they are being flushed out on a constant basis and never allowed to accumulate in your various endocrine glands.

I haven't done much research on minimizing the side effects of detoxification, but as for the sources of ingestible iodine, your own quote lists the two brands I am currently aware of. Both of these can be found on Amazon.

Seaweed is the best natural source of Iodine that I know of. Incidentally, the Japanese do not fluorinate their water supplies and they ingest far more than the FDAs recommended amount of Iodine on a daily basis. It's probably no coincidence they have some of the lowest occurrences of acne in the world.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/18/2012 9:48 am

thanks for the reply, I'm actually very keen to supplement myself I tick off enough symptoms. I guess my fear would be breaking out more but I'm definitely keen. what might be considering a low dose?

Hm.actually im

more curious where you can ever get the idoine thats safe to consume?

So why not try adding kelp and other seaweeds? There are many ways. Kombu (I think it's called) is used like boullion in Japan. Just add a piece whenever you are making soup and bone broths. And you can buy kelp flakes to use as a seasoning to sprinkle on food. I have one called Sea Seasonings organic kelp granules from Maine. 1/4 teaspoon has over 2000% the RDA. And then there's nori, the wrappers in Sushi. Use it to make sandwich wraps. And they make roasted seasoned nori snacks to be eaten like crackers and potato chips. I've never tried them.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)
MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/18/2012 10:50 am

Iodine and halogen detox protocol thread: http://www.acne.org/...en#entry3239509

Thanks for the link. It's scary to think that an initial breakout could last 6 months.

I'll still have plenty of accutane in my system, so hopefully it mitigates the effects.

I've been drinking only distilled water for a few days now... Everything was going fine until I ate some organic carrots today. They had a terrible metallic taste to them. I've never really experienced that before... Not sure if it's related, but definitely something to think about.

Oh, and pure baking soda makes a great toothpaste if you're looking for a cheap, non-fluorinated alternative! Also hydrogen peroxide makes a fantastic mouthwash!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/18/2012 11:08 am

Iodine and halogen detox protocol thread: http://www.acne.org/...en#entry3239509

Thanks for the link. It's scary to think that an initial breakout could last 6 months.

I'll still have plenty of accutane in my system, so hopefully it mitigates the effects.

I've been drinking only distilled water for a few days now... Everything was going fine until I ate some organic carrots today. They had a terrible metallic taste to them. I've never really experienced that before... Not sure if it's related, but definitely something to think about.

Oh, and pure baking soda makes a great toothpaste if you're looking for a cheap, non-fluorinated alternative! Also hydrogen peroxide makes a fantastic mouthwash!

I like brushing with baking soda but I was doing that regularly a few years ago and my blood pressure went up. So I've been using flouride free toothpastes since, until about a month ago, when it occurred to me that since I've been reading for years articles saying that studies find that dry brushing removes more plaque than anything else, why use anything? Toothpaste is one more chemical industry product we don't need and never did. But I may mix up a toothpowder to use at bedtime with a calcium mineral clay and BS and/or salt.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/18/2012 11:17 am

I like brushing with baking soda but I was doing that regularly a few years ago and my blood pressure went up. So I've been using flouride free toothpastes since, until about a month ago, when it occurred to me that since I've been reading for years articles saying that studies find that dry brushing removes more plaque than anything else, why use anything? Toothpaste is one more chemical industry product we don't need and never did. But I may mix up a toothpowder to use at bedtime with a calcium mineral clay and BS and/or salt.

When you say dry brushing, what do you mean exactly? With no water at all, or only water? I find that without an abrasive substance, my teeth don't feel completely "smooth" after brushing if that makes sense. I don't want to use extremely hard bristles because it may aggravate any gum recession. (A reported side effect of accutane)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/18/2012 11:37 am

When you say dry brushing, what do you mean exactly? With no water at all, or only water? I find that without an abrasive substance, my teeth don't feel completely "smooth" after brushing if that makes sense. I don't want to use extremely hard bristles because it may aggravate any gum recession. (A reported side effect of accutane)

Dry, not that it stays dry. and use a soft brush. Brush like they always say you should with the brush angled toward the gumline and move in a circular motion. Brush for at least 2 minutes. Start with the inside surfaces. And at bedtime, floss or water pik before brushing and use a tongue scraper.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/18/2012 11:43 am

^ Hmm, this may come in handy when I go camping net week. Definitely going to try it.

MemberMember
(@reti)

Posted : 06/18/2012 3:39 pm

I have no idea why the discussion has moved into metals. Halogens are not metals.

And I'd be very suspicious of "detoxing". That's largely holistic health mumbo jumbo. Proper iodine intake and avoiding non-nutrient halogens should help your body over time, though.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/19/2012 12:19 pm

I have no idea why the discussion has moved into metals. Halogens are not metals.

And I'd be very suspicious of "detoxing". That's largely holistic health mumbo jumbo. Proper iodine intake and avoiding non-nutrient halogens should help your body over time, though.

The problem is that you can't avoid bromides in our environment these days. And this is likely a cause of the number of people with thyroid problems. Along with the mercury. And it moved in that direction because someone thought that the theobromine in chocolate was a form of the halogen bromine, and blame tritonix for the change in direction.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/19/2012 3:45 pm

I moved over to the Idodine thread after Alternativista gave me the link. The theobromine was likely the trigger for that offshoot though.

Halogens are not metals.

Very true. The correct thing was to say that Iodine displaces both heavy metals (mercury) and Halogens. (Bromine, Fluorine, etc)

I think "detoxing" is just a term people use when they actually mean: "It gets worse before it gets better"

Obviously, the actual mechanisms are largely unknown by most of us. We just experience the results.

MemberMember
(@auspicious)

Posted : 08/08/2012 4:01 am

i believe it 100% because when i eat chocolate(which is often) my acne often gets worse

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/13/2012 10:09 am

i believe it 100% because when i eat chocolate(which is often) my acne often gets worse

That's primarily the sugar.

MemberMember
(@outdoorwoman)

Posted : 09/09/2012 8:27 am

Been allergic all my life. From hives as a kid to acne as a teen and adult. I DON'T consume it at all. Problem is that it often sneaked into foods. Some chli, breads (pumpernickle), even a microbrewed BEER I was drinking, (and breaking out until I found out the it had CHOCOLATE in it.

Just watch the ingredients listing folke.

MemberMember
(@bigbluetoes)

Posted : 11/14/2012 1:39 pm

I know this thread is over a year old, but I wanted to contribute my $.02.

My husband eats chocolate constantly, never gets acne, and never has. He's not prone to it. It doesn't seem to affect him at all. Lucky duck!

I drink one hot chocolate, and bam! 2-4 days later I have a huge cyst in my face that takes about a week to resolve. I know for a fact that it is the chocolate that causes this, and not the dairy, nor the sugar. This is how I know... as long as I avoid chocolate 100%, I don't get acne, even if I'm eating cookies, drinking soda, ice cream, sweet lattes, etc. I could eat candy and sugar all day long, as long as it contains very little chocolate (a little bit of the cheap stuff doesn't have any effect). I can also drink 3-4+ glasses of milk per day, and eat ice cream all day long, as long as there is no chocolate, I won't get any acne.

This is when I discovered the connection: I was once on a cleansing diet where I was eating only vegetables, brown rice, potatoes, and drinking these whey shakes, and thought I would be sneaky and add raw cacao to the shakes, which was delicious!! I sweetened with stevia to make it taste divine, and after about 3 days of this, I was repaid with several huge cyctic acne on my face which scarred for many months. I thought, "could chocolate be causing this acne?" I researched online and found a thread on a board showing that vegans have long known the cacao/acne connection, and have had to give it up because they got acne when consuming it. I was very, very unhappy with that, but stopped the cacao, and didn't get anymore acne during my clean diet.

And in fact, most of the time my diet is not very clean. I eat a lot of fried food, a lot of sugar, a lot of dairy. And yet, the ONLY time I have acne problems is when I eat chocolate. The higher quality and darker the chocolate is, the worse my acne response. The only other thing that seems to exacerbate my acne is drinks sweetened with erythritol, and I do not know the connection there, but I have definitely experienced it.

Anyway, I LOVE chocolate, so I still eat it occasionally, and consistently pay for it with cysts in my chin, cheek, or jawline. I have been testing this for years, and for me, chocolate always causes acne. Not sugar, not dairy. CHOCOLATE.

Hope this helps someone. If I had known MY chocolate/acne connection when I was in my twenties (I'm now in my thirties), I would have avoided a LOT of scarring. I used to eat a chocolate bar a day (the really dark stuff) after all the hype was published about how great it was for you. I had up to a hundred zits on my face at all times, it was quite awful. I am certainly going to educate my own children on this when they get to that acne age, since they almost certainly will react the same way I do.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 11/20/2012 8:51 am

I know this thread is over a year old, but I wanted to contribute my $.02.

My husband eats chocolate constantly, never gets acne, and never has. He's not prone to it. It doesn't seem to affect him at all. Lucky duck!

I drink one hot chocolate, and bam! 2-4 days later I have a huge cyst in my face that takes about a week to resolve. I know for a fact that it is the chocolate that causes this, and not the dairy, nor the sugar. This is how I know... as long as I avoid chocolate 100%, I don't get acne, even if I'm eating cookies, drinking soda, ice cream, sweet lattes, etc. I could eat candy and sugar all day long, as long as it contains very little chocolate (a little bit of the cheap stuff doesn't have any effect). I can also drink 3-4+ glasses of milk per day, and eat ice cream all day long, as long as there is no chocolate, I won't get any acne.

This is when I discovered the connection: I was once on a cleansing diet where I was eating only vegetables, brown rice, potatoes, and drinking these whey shakes, and thought I would be sneaky and add raw cacao to the shakes, which was delicious!! I sweetened with stevia to make it taste divine, and after about 3 days of this, I was repaid with several huge cyctic acne on my face which scarred for many months. I thought, "could chocolate be causing this acne?" I researched online and found a thread on a board showing that vegans have long known the cacao/acne connection, and have had to give it up because they got acne when consuming it. I was very, very unhappy with that, but stopped the cacao, and didn't get anymore acne during my clean diet.

And in fact, most of the time my diet is not very clean. I eat a lot of fried food, a lot of sugar, a lot of dairy. And yet, the ONLY time I have acne problems is when I eat chocolate. The higher quality and darker the chocolate is, the worse my acne response. The only other thing that seems to exacerbate my acne is drinks sweetened with erythritol, and I do not know the connection there, but I have definitely experienced it.

Anyway, I LOVE chocolate, so I still eat it occasionally, and consistently pay for it with cysts in my chin, cheek, or jawline. I have been testing this for years, and for me, chocolate always causes acne. Not sugar, not dairy. CHOCOLATE.

Hope this helps someone. If I had known MY chocolate/acne connection when I was in my twenties (I'm now in my thirties), I would have avoided a LOT of scarring. I used to eat a chocolate bar a day (the really dark stuff) after all the hype was published about how great it was for you. I had up to a hundred zits on my face at all times, it was quite awful. I am certainly going to educate my own children on this when they get to that acne age, since they almost certainly will react the same way I do.

That's very interesting. It just occurred to me that I've never tested if cocoa powder was breaking me out. So far my dietary habits have kept my skin in a fairly good state for years, but lately things have been getting slightly worse and I haven't been able to figure out why. I thought it was just emotional stress, but I've been eating lots of very dark chocolate almost on a daily basis as well, so that could be a factor. I think I'm going to cut out all cocoa for a while and see if that changes anything.

Although damn it, this is going to be hard :(

MemberMember
(@rminspiration)

Posted : 11/25/2012 7:05 pm

Can caffeine/coffee cause acne? or is that a myth? because I usually have 2-3 cups of coffee a day

MemberMember
(@dabowez)

Posted : 11/26/2012 7:42 pm

Isn't the bottom line on this, as it appears to be with all forms of treatment whether they are diet modification, OTC topicals, prescriptions, lifestyle choices even Accutane, as we are all different though the same (we are all acne prone) and we all react to different things in different ways (as we do in all parts of our life) that it depends on the individual and it's really up to us to use all the help that's available, here on acne.org and other places, to find what works best for us? There is no magic cure unfortunately.

MemberMember
(@suitedpancake)

Posted : 10/27/2013 10:20 pm

I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION TO THE MASTURBATION-ACNE PROBLEM THAT YOU SHOULD CONSIDER:

And this is it: After you masturbate/have sex, the semen that is ejaculated sometimes does not come out completely from the penis. So what needs to be done is that you should grab a tissue paper and squeeze the penis until ALL of the semen is out from the penis. If you do this , you wont get any pimples. My theory why this works is that, the unejaculated semen causes some hormone imbalance or something like that while leads to pimples. If it is squeezed out, you wont get any pimples. In addition, makes sure to drink 3-4 glasses of water immediately afterwards. While the reason this method works isn't fully explained scientifically, IT HAS EMPIRICAL PROOF. It seems to work, so why not give it a go?

Try this out and see if this works for you, it is definitely promising.

MemberMember
(@alex13)

Posted : 10/28/2013 3:32 am

I think your theory is bs. lol.

Hormonal imbalance by leaving your semen on your penis ? lol.

I believe sex / masturbation causes natural raise of DHA in your bloodstream so that causes acne, also more testosterone... acne.

Check my personal story : choco indeed is a bad no-no for acne... and sugar, that is the most evil of them all.

MemberMember
(@warrior027)

Posted : 10/28/2013 1:29 pm

Seems right, ppl denying it just dont want to stop eating chocolate

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 10/28/2013 8:19 pm

noooooo not chocolate! please...