The link between acne & chocolates is no longer a myth

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/27/2011 12:33 pm

mkay thnx joris, ill keep that in mind

*runz off to make some raw chocolate right naow* >3>

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/27/2011 6:33 pm

I guess we cant eat 70%+ pure chocolate anymore... Cocoa in smoothies neither.

ps. alternate I dont know if they forgot to meassure omega 3's but it might also be that the ratio of omega3s and omega6s are screwed up besides the insulinemic response... And caffeine/Theobromine might be doing something with stress. (Although some studies show caffeine can improve liver function, at least in reasonable amounts.)

If it was caffeine then they should have been testing coffee and tea. Some people do break out from it, even small amounts. But most of us don't seem to.

I still find it very suspect that they claim every person in the test had increased breakouts. Maybe the writer of the article didn't get all the details straight. I also think having them eat it all in one sitting is an odd test. And would think that binging on the stuff is a big factor.

MemberMember
(@wibble)

Posted : 02/28/2011 7:36 am

It also seems a bit odd that the people diagnosed with acne, had an _average_ of 3 pimples. Doesn't that seem a tad low ? Ie for it to be an average, assuming some had more, there would have to be people with maybe 0 or just 1 pimple. Feels like a very low average. Still an interesting study, but would be a lot more interesting with more detail to it.

MemberMember
(@acnesucks33)

Posted : 03/02/2011 3:34 am

Wow chocolate causing pimples... There really desperate if they think that's true. Lol

MemberMember
(@acnesucks33)

Posted : 03/02/2011 3:34 am

Wow chocolate causing pimples... There really desperate if they think that's true. Lol

MemberMember
(@pinkunicorn)

Posted : 03/03/2011 8:43 pm

^ It doesn't cause acne, it simply makes it worse. A lot of things make acne worse, but it's not the same for everybody. They're* not really desperate because they probably don't even have acne. They're just trying to do studies that might help those of us who do suffer with acne.

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 03/06/2011 5:45 pm

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these findings just yet. There are quite a few limitations and problems that I see.

#1. The study is not currently published, so we don't have access to the actual details of the study as described by the researchers who conducted it. This is important to get the most accurate picture of how the study was conducted and any limitations regarding the results.

#2. Very small sample size (n=10). Its hard to generalize to the overall population of acne sufferers based on a sample size of 10 men (why no women, I wonder?) who already had active acne. Even the proposed follow-up study seems too small to be meaningful (n=28).

#3. It was not a controlled experimental study (no control group, no random assignment), so you cannot say anything about causation - this limitation is actually mentioned in the article.

#4. Since the research is not published, it has not gone through a peer-review process. The quality of the research is therefore unknown at this time.

Hard to say more than that without reading the actual study and looking at the description of the methodology, procedures and raw data.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 03/06/2011 6:40 pm

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these findings just yet. There are quite a few limitations and problems that I see.

#1. The study is not currently published, so we don't have access to the actual details of the study as described by the researchers who conducted it. This is important to get the most accurate picture of how the study was conducted and any limitations regarding the results.

#2. Very small sample size (n=10). Its hard to generalize to the overall population of acne sufferers based on a sample size of 10 men (why no women, I wonder?) who already had active acne. Even the proposed follow-up study seems too small to be meaningful (n=28).

#3. It was not a controlled experimental study (no control group, no random assignment), so you cannot say anything about causation - this limitation is actually mentioned in the article.

#4. Since the research is not published, it has not gone through a peer-review process. The quality of the research is therefore unknown at this time.

Hard to say more than that without reading the actual study and looking at the description of the methodology, procedures and raw data.

^^^ Pay very close attention to this lady. She knows what she's talking about.

MemberMember
(@reti)

Posted : 04/10/2011 12:22 am

Maybe they can control the new study with carob. White chocolate, which is made without pure cocoa, but does have a lot of the cocoa butter in it, would also be a useful comparison.

MemberMember
(@reti)

Posted : 04/12/2011 2:26 am

You know, another thing just occurred to me... There was prelim research recently about modern diets, especially bread-containing ones... Pure cocoa includes high levels of bromine. One of the treatments for iodine poisoning is by eating chocolate made with pure cocoa, as bromine displaces iodine. Ancient bread-making used iodine in the process. Modern commercial bread making uses bromine instead usually. What if this bread & chocolate connection to acne is actually the result of excessive bromine (which technically is not needed by the body at all and is considered a toxin), and thereby the displacement of and deficiency of iodine in the diet? People don't actually get that much iodine from table salt. And iodine is extremely important to hormones, their regulation, and the immune system. In fact, every year more startling stuff is discovered about its role and you can never seem to underestimate its importance in mammals. Much of the details about why it's so important in all these systems is still unknown. It's the heaviest element essential to complex life. Another odd thing: iodine deficiency can present as many of the same symptoms as having too much iodine and supposedly much of the often-cited research done in the past on the subject was flawed. So, maybe ingesting bromine and not enough iodine might explain whatas going on? Itas hard to understand how this could just be again related to blood sugar levels and insulin if this was unsweetened pure pressed cocoa bars. Because the sweetened, cheap normal chocolate bars apparently have not consistently shown this result.

MemberMember
(@reti)

Posted : 04/12/2011 2:48 am

WOW. One of the results of Bromism (adverse health from too much bromine) is listed as acne on wikipeda.

MemberMember
(@reti)

Posted : 04/12/2011 2:51 am

"The presence of theobromine renders chocolate toxic to some animals,[2] especially dogs and cats."

Autism. Thyroid disease. Acne. Certain new gastrointestinal & digestive disorders that didn't exist at significant amounts just a few decades ago. Skyrocketing statistics of breast cancer. Like this gluten insensitivity thing. There was a recent study done using old samples of blood and found people did not have that problem in the USA just a few decades ago beyond the certain low percentage that have severe reactions to it due to a genetic disorder. Bromine has no use in the human body at all and yet is now the cheap alternative to iodine, particularly in food processing and additives. It's naturally in cocoa, but it's in most commercial bread and many other carb products now, some soft drinks, orange Gatorade, on and on. Maybe we're offsetting the iodine displacement in the west somewhat, but the bromine seems to cause adverse effects directly, as well. Hmmm....

MemberMember
(@joris)

Posted : 04/12/2011 12:12 pm

wow indeed

MemberMember
(@travelzd)

Posted : 05/23/2011 11:52 pm

HEY! just remember pple this study had pple eatting 8 oz and more of chocolate!! I think that would also make me fat, doesn't mean chocolate causes pple to be overweight either, all it means is don't go overboard! I do think milk, fat, and choclate can cause acne if eatten in excess but I 've been limiting them and doing fine no new break outs so i say go ahead and have a little:)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/14/2012 4:18 pm

See, I always have this nagging feeling that there's some reason why I shouldn't have too much cocoa and chocolate, but can't remember. And i posted one here. It's insulinemic. and is high in the bromine that displaces iodine. I hope the kelp I've been adding to my bone broths is countering that adequately.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 06/17/2012 4:00 am

"The presence of theobromine renders chocolate toxic to some animals,[2] especially dogs and cats."

Autism. Thyroid disease. Acne. Certain new gastrointestinal & digestive disorders that didn't exist at significant amounts just a few decades ago. Skyrocketing statistics of breast cancer. Like this gluten insensitivity thing. There was a recent study done using old samples of blood and found people did not have that problem in the USA just a few decades ago beyond the certain low percentage that have severe reactions to it due to a genetic disorder. Bromine has no use in the human body at all and yet is now the cheap alternative to iodine, particularly in food processing and additives. It's naturally in cocoa, but it's in most commercial bread and many other carb products now, some soft drinks, orange Gatorade, on and on. Maybe we're offsetting the iodine displacement in the west somewhat, but the bromine seems to cause adverse effects directly, as well. Hmmm....

I'm curious what your thinking..as to say we should supplement with iodine? I've read everywhere how people with acne should avoid iodine little bit confused

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/17/2012 8:37 am

See, I always have this nagging feeling that there's some reason why I shouldn't have too much cocoa and chocolate, but can't remember. And i posted about it here. It's insulinemic. and is high in the bromine that displaces iodine. I hope the kelp I've been adding to my bone broths is countering that adequately.

I'm curious what your thinking..as to say we should supplement with iodine? I've read everywhere how people with acne should avoid iodine little bit confused

Iodine is not the only method to detox heavy metals from the body. Other sources include:

Zeolite

Bentonite Clay

Chlorella

Cilantro

Magnesium

I find it rather profound that many of these substances also dramatically improve acne for many people on these boards...

I believe heavy metal toxicity (through fluoride, bromine, etc) is a hugely overlooked cause of modern acne.

I will be testing this theory soon. I may start a new thread at that time.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/17/2012 10:18 am

See, I always have this nagging feeling that there's some reason why I shouldn't have too much cocoa and chocolate, but can't remember. And i posted about it here. It's insulinemic. and is high in the bromine that displaces iodine. I hope the kelp I've been adding to my bone broths is countering that adequately.

Iodine is not the only method to detox heavy metals from the body. Other sources include:

Zeolite

Bentonite Clay

Chlorella

Cilantro

Magnesium

I find it rather profound that many of these substances also dramatically improve acne for many people on these boards...

I believe heavy metal toxicity (through fluoride, bromine, etc) is a hugely overlooked cause of modern acne.

I was more concerned about the function of my thyroid, not that I was concerned. Just that I knew there were reasons to not consume too much cacao.

And there have been many threads on mercury toxicity and acne and some on bromides.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/17/2012 10:40 am

I was more concerned about the function of my thyroid, not that I was concerned. Just that I knew there were reasons to not consume too much cacao.

And there have been many threads on mercury toxicity and acne and some on bromides.

Yes. In my experiment I am going to specifically target two halogens (Bromine and Fluorine) and attempt to remove them from my system through various methods of detoxification. In addition I will limit (as much as realistically possible) the intake of these chemicals, mainly by only consuming distilled water, avoiding fluorinated and brominated products (Dasiani water has both), and limiting foods/medicines that are known to contain significant amounts of these elements.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/17/2012 11:12 am

Yes. In my experiment I am going to specifically target two halogens (Bromine and Fluorine) and attempt to remove them from my system through various methods of detoxification. In addition I will limit (as much as realistically possible) the intake of these chemicals, mainly by only consuming distilled water, avoiding fluorinated and brominated products (Dasiani water has both), and limiting foods/medicines that are known to contain significant amounts of these elements.

Yeah, there was a thread on that recently. I can't remember by whom, dejaclairvoyant was a major contributor, but not the OP. in the nutrition forum, of course.

MemberMember
(@reti)

Posted : 06/17/2012 12:25 pm

I was incorrect about theobromine including a halogen. According to the newest additions to Wikipedia, "bromine" in the name comes from a plant, not the halogen. While it doesn't explain why dark chocolate might be contributing to acne, it explains why fluoridated toothpaste and canned air might be contributing to it. For instance, computer nerds, canned air, and acne are a very strong correlation. And there is no question that halogens displace iodine in the body and disrupt delicate hormone balances. Halogen-induced acnes are a known medical condition. That more mild exposure to halogens could generally make normal acne worse is not a strange assumption. Supplementing with iodine definintely should not be at nuclear emergency doses, though. That's only for short-term use and is not without side-effects.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/17/2012 1:42 pm

I was incorrect about theobromine including a halogen. According to the newest additions to Wikipedia, "bromine" in the name comes from a plant, not the halogen. While it doesn't explain why dark chocolate might be contributing to acne, it explains why fluoridated toothpaste and canned air might be contributing to it. For instance, computer nerds, canned air, and acne are a very strong correlation. And there is no question that halogens displace iodine in the body and disrupt delicate hormone balances. Halogen-induced acnes are a known medical condition. That more mild exposure to halogens could generally make normal acne worse is not a strange assumption. Supplementing with iodine definintely should not be at nuclear emergency doses, though. That's only for short-term use and is not without side-effects.

Great points. I don't understand why so many people refuse to make the connection between the forced halogenation of our water supply and the variety of health problems created by those compounds. (sluggishness, reduced hormone output, unnatural circadian rhythms, acne, skin disorders, thyroid disease, hyperhydrosis, etc.)

I realize that many health conscious people are aware these problems exist, but I don't see many taking measures to protect themselves.

There is a school thought backed up with anecdotal evidence that claims the side effects of Iodine supplementation are temporary. After years of halogen accumulation, the body must go through a purging process which lasts approximately two weeks and can include an initial breakout of acne and a feeling of sickness.

After this period, the body begins to dramatically take turn for the better, with all of the aforementioned symptoms of halogen accumulation simply vanishing.

Take from that what you will, but it is compelling enough for me to attempt it.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 06/17/2012 7:32 pm

Zeolite

Bentonite Clay

Chlorella

Cilantro

Magnesium

I'm having a look into those products, I'm curious though, if they aid incredibly in detoxing the system wouldnt users have noted worse breakouts ? (due to the toxins escaping?) rather than improvment ..at least straight away?

Is there a way to tell if one is toxic of heavy metals?

you mentioning the supplmening of idoine should only be short term use, why is this? wouldnt halogens continue to displace iodine when stopping the supplements? also quite curious if there is a list any where of common things with Bromine in it ? I'm fairly aware of fluoride but curious of Bromine.

Great points. I don't understand why so many people refuse to make the connection between the forced halogenation of our water supply and the variety of health problems created by those compounds. (sluggishness, reduced hormone output, unnatural circadian rhythms, acne, skin disorders, thyroid disease, hyperhydrosis, etc.)

I realize that many health conscious people are aware these problems exist, but I don't see many taking measures to protect themselves.

There is a school thought backed up with anecdotal evidence that claims the side effects of Iodine supplementation are temporary. After years of halogen accumulation, the body must go through a purging process which lasts approximately two weeks and can include an initial breakout of acne and a feeling of sickness.

After this period, the body begins to dramatically take turn for the better, with all of the aforementioned symptoms of halogen accumulation simply vanishing.

Take from that what you will, but it is compelling enough for me to attempt it.

im curious if you've supplemented iodine before? :)

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/17/2012 7:51 pm

I'm having a look into those products, I'm curious though, if they aid incredibly in detoxing the system wouldnt users have noted worse breakouts ? (due to the toxins escaping?) rather than improvment ..at least straight away?

Not everyone who supplements Iodine reports an initial breakout! Some reap the benefits immediately, and it is said that if you start on a low dosage and work your way up, the initial side effects are lessened. I imagine the same would be true for the others.

The symptoms I listed would be a great starting point! Accumulation of halogens in the endocrine glands causes reduced hormone production, which in turn leads to sluggishness / tiredness, brain-fog, depression, unnatural circadian rhythms, acne, eczema, thyroid disease, hyperhydrosis, increased sebum output, extremely cold fingers / toes. Also the accumulation of fluoride in the bones can cause a wide variety of bone-related diseases.

im curious if you've supplemented iodine before? smile.png

This will be my first time. Once I begin, I will likely start a new thread to report any changes.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 06/17/2012 9:35 pm

Not everyone who supplements Iodine reports an initial breakout! Some reap the benefits immediately, and it is said that if you start on a low dosage and work your way up, the initial side effects are lessened. I imagine the same would be true for the others.

The symptoms I listed would be a great starting point! Accumulation of halogens in the endocrine glands causes reduced hormone production, which in turn leads to sluggishness / tiredness, brain-fog, depression, unnatural circadian rhythms, acne, eczema, thyroid disease, hyperhydrosis, increased sebum output, extremely cold fingers / toes. Also the accumulation of fluoride in the bones can cause a wide variety of bone-related diseases.

im curious if you've supplemented iodine before? smile.png

This will be my first time. Once I begin, I will likely start a new thread to report any changes.

thanks for the reply, I'm actually very keen to supplement myself I tick off enough symptoms. I guess my fear would be breaking out more but I'm definitely keen. what might be considering a low dose?

so really if one breaks out from salt in general does that mean they are just de-toxining?some people think salt aggrevates acne when

I came across this:

"

Humifulvate

Take one 75 milligram capsule of humifulvate each night before bed, at least two hours after your last meal. Although humifulvate can be taken for weeks or months at a time it™s wise to allow the body a break. A good routine is to supplement for one month and then take a one-month break. Repeat as desired.

Iodine

Take two drops of 5% Lugol's solution or a single Iodoral tablet containing 12.5 mg of elemental iodine with humifulvate before bed. Iodine will increase the urinary excretion of lead, cadmium, arsenic, aluminum and mercury.

Iodine supplementation may result in side-effects, such as increased perspiration, frontal headaches, sneezing, and acne. These are temporary effects from toxic materials being pulled from the tissues, particularly a mineral called bromide, and may be minimized or avoided with salt loading.

If iodine-related effects occur, salt loading can be used to increase the excretion rate of bromide and minimize side-effects. The chloride in salt will bind with bromide in the blood stream and then carry it out through the kidneys.

Unrefined Celtic sea salt, which contains a large variety of mineral salts, is best for detoxification, although table salt can be used if Celtic salt is not available.

During the day, take 1/2 teaspoon of unrefined Celtic salt in 1/2 cup of warm water. Follow this with 12 ounces of purified or clean water. Repeat this step every 45-minutes until your first urination. Discontinue salt loading after side-effects abate.

Vitamin C

Take 3,000 Milligrams of Vitamin C along with the humifulvate and iodine. Vitamin C improves detoxification pathways and helps reduce some symptoms of detoxification.

Magnesium

Take 400 to 600 milligrams of Magnesium per day to improve detoxification pathways. It should be taken with meals to improve absorption."

What are your thoughts on this plan? I wish it was a little more specific like how long to take everything etc. Someone commented on this post/article thing saying they had supplemented iodine for around 6months and still have heavy metals in their system...

they took a heavy metals test, wasnt sure there was one but not sure how accurate that might be.

so i guess the plan would be to intake salt as well? (would that make detoxing symptoms worse though. its said it would make them more tolerable but thats confusing as people reported breakouts from salt loading for fluoride detox).

Hm.actually im

more curious where you can ever get the idoine thats safe to consume?