Notifications
Clear all

why is it that the majority of people i see with acne/severe acne are skinny?

MemberMember
(@peony7)

Posted : 09/19/2012 2:54 pm

I think the key to it is the weight and fat ratio we had when we first started getting acne. I think that sets up the pattern for the rest of our lives. I've had my horrmones checked many times and they are considered normal. Although my Dr thinks I have PCOS. I was extremely thin when I started going through puberty. I've seen this as a theory put forward for thin women with pcos. Of course there are women with pcos who are overweight and I think the same applies - some sort of pattern got set up at puberty and even if the hormones level out at a later date there is other damage by that point which perpetuates the cycle.

The same would apply to men, since they can also have metabolic problems similar to pcos.

MemberMember
(@knarfia)

Posted : 10/19/2012 3:50 pm

I definitely think there's a connection with testosterone. I've always been skinny and never had to worry about my weight until I started spiro. Then with saw palmetto, wild yam, and stinging nettle I really ballooned quickly.

MemberMember
(@discovery)

Posted : 11/28/2012 11:18 pm

I think the above poster - Anti - Em - which linked less acne with a higher estrogen (estradiol) is getting close.

That is probably the direct link to the indirect observation of the OP.

High estrogen/estradiol = central obesity (fat face, fat belly, the rest skinny) = not necessarily overall morbidly obese.

High estrogen = harder to lose weight (hence why men lose weight faster than women)

Skinny people = high Testosterone (T):low estrogen ratio.

High T == High Free T (FT)

High FT == High DHT

High DHT == increased sebum production

local Linoleic Acid deficiency (in the skin, not systemic) = poor skin shedding

Increased Sebum + Poor Skin Shedding = Comedone / Whitehead / Blackheads

Comedone + Bacteria = Acne.

EDIT: BTW, this why is a lot of athletes / bodybuilders who took creatine/whey are getting acne. It is due to the high T / DHT which was triggered by the whey intake (only for those who are genetically predisposed to it (probably autoimmune disease).

THE SAME REASON WHY SAW PALMETTO (Beta-Sitosterol) WORKS IN REDUCING OIL PRODUCTION, AND STOPPING MALE PATTERN BALDNESS! i.e., blocking 5-AR Type I enzyme to stop DHT Production. WARNING THOUGH, CAUSES MANBOOBS (high estrogen : Low testosterone ratio duh).

Skinny people = high Testosterone (T):low estrogen ratio.

Can we safely say then that Acne is really a androgen problem and not some of the food we eat? I am sure their are plenty of food alergies, but as far as i know, their has never been a link to food alergies and cystic Acne?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/29/2012 9:30 am

Now this is a good question. I think there are several reasons:

- people with acne are often health conscious and eat well and exercise, thus are a healthy weight

- some people with acne might have Body Dysmorphic Disorder, and are obsessed by their looks, thus lose weight to look better [in their opinion]

- anorexia/bulimia - if a person feels their skin is horrible and they can't do anything about it [in their mind], they start obsessing over another aspect of their looks - their body weight, which they can actually control, thus giving them satisfaction and/or release from the emotional turmoil of acne

- some people are not anorexic or anything, but they might become obsessed by a certain diet that got rid of their acne, and cut out important nutrients from their diet, becoming malnourished, not on purpose.

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/30/2012 1:57 am

Now this is a good question. I think there are several reasons:

- people with acne are often health conscious and eat well and exercise, thus are a healthy weight

- some people with acne might have Body Dysmorphic Disorder, and are obsessed by their looks, thus lose weight to look better [in their opinion]

- anorexia/bulimia - if a person feels their skin is horrible and they can't do anything about it [in their mind], they start obsessing over another aspect of their looks - their body weight, which they can actually control, thus giving them satisfaction and/or release from the emotional turmoil of acne

- some people are not anorexic or anything, but they might become obsessed by a certain diet that got rid of their acne, and cut out important nutrients from their diet, becoming malnourished, not on purpose.

Armadillo, I can definitely relate to most of the points that you make.

When my acne was really bad, although I never suffered from anorexia or bulimia, I became obsessed with my diet and exercise. My way of thinking was that if I could not control my acne, I could at least do my best to be slim and fit - although I still felt crap about my skin, at least I felt a little bit positive in another area.

I no longer have bad acne but I am still obsessive about diet but now it is down to the fear of the acne returning. I started a thread about this a while back:- http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/322891-diet/

In answer to the original question, I don`t think it makes any difference what weight you are, I think genetics, hormones and to a lesser extent lifestyle choices are the main factors which determine who does or doesn`t get acne.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/30/2012 4:43 am

Whoa, quoted for undeniable truth.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 12/09/2012 11:02 pm

Horribly flawed logic. What about the people that want to GAIN weight?

MemberMember
(@crevin)

Posted : 12/14/2012 3:04 am

Interesting post. Like many of you, I am very skinny and can eat fast food 9 times a day for 5 years and maybe put on 3 pounds. I have a crazy fast metabolism and am always hungry. I can't say I know of any heavy-set people with acne, but that doesn't really mean anything-- could just be the crowd I am hanging around. I just know that I fit your description and a close friend of mine who also has bad acne also fits it! Both of my siblings have much slower metabolisms than I and put on weight much eaiser and they both have completely clear skin. Who knows...

MemberMember
(@alaskanborn88)

Posted : 12/23/2012 10:58 am

For the past few years I've been bordering on being chubby and never had any skin issues to speak of. Recently however I landed a very labor intensive job, and over the past 8 months I've lost around 25 pounds and am now what people would consider to be skinny. Ever since I've begun losing weight it seems as if my acne problems are finally surfacing. I haven't changed my diet one bit, I eat the same things I did before with no other change that I can think of besides the weight loss. Combining my personal experience with what I've seen from other people and it definitely seems like there is a strong correlation between the two.

MemberMember
(@myadultacnecure)

Posted : 01/14/2013 7:05 am

I second that. I've finally moved on to looking at my hideous body instead xD I'm not anorexic, but am finally noticing I should lose 15 pounds ^^

PS: Here is another theory:

Fat people are less likely to have acne because the fat blocks the toxins from escaping through the skin?

Skinny people with a fast metabolism maybe have to be more careful of their diets, because they would be more prone to eating junk food?

-I know even though I always ate healthy meals, I would still gourge on candy :| Although now I've been trying to make the change the past 2 months. ^^;;;