Notifications
Clear all

why is it that the majority of people i see with acne/severe acne are skinny?

MemberMember
(@jaynine9)

Posted : 04/19/2010 2:21 pm

I know that I went through a period of anorexia when my acne was at its worst. It was a control issue.

I think acne sufferers in general tend to be more meticulous with the parts of their appearance that are easily controlled.

really??? i too suffered from anorexia for 3 years off and on and during the times when i restricted the most is when my skin was at its clearest.

MemberMember
(@tdot)

Posted : 04/20/2010 2:21 pm

I made a thread about this in the nutrition section, heres what it said basically

Well after seeing a couple of these type of threads on Acne.org it got me thinking...

This has probably been theorized before on the boards before but anyway..

Say a skinny person has a fast metabolism, because their body processes food that quickly, their liver is more likely to become overloaded and isnt able to deal with all the toxins/crap as effectively, well since a high metabolism is something you are born with that means your liver has been consistently overloaded and strained since an early age so your liver is probably generally in worse shape then someone who has a slow metabolism?

Secondly and more importantly, someone with a fast metabolism who consumes alot of carbs, processes it that quickly that the blood sugar level spikes are much more intense, insulin response is heightened because of this and the body becomes resistant to these high levels of insulin over time (again since early age), so at the end of the day in the skinny person's case, high insulin levels (meaning higher androgen activity in general, also meaning more of the androgen DHT which causes more oil) are the norm for the person, which combined with the poor liver function = acne.

Whereas a larger person with a slow metabolism processes food much more slower, so both the liver function and insulin/blood sugar levels have not been damaged or unbalanced consistently since early age.

I was thinking maybe thats why people who are skinnier generally have more acne whereas bigger people usually have nicer skin. I personally have noticed this and the general consensus on these boards is the same.

Has what I said made much sense? Im pretty new to this whole diet and holistic, high GI, sugar and insulin thing but I think I've got the right idea maybe?

This is the first thing that I have ever read about acne that makes COMPLETE sense to me.... Trust me if there was a herb or some way of slowing down my metabolism I would do it. I eat VERY healthy but I also eat like a pig.. I eat A LOT of food... and I am STILL SO SKINNY. PLUS I have issues with alcohol, I cant drink like my friends can, even if I have one drink I feel like complete ass the next day. Could my liver be the culprit? I had a lady at a health food store tell me that if your liver is over loaded it has a hard time processing your hormones too. For me, I honestly think that my birth control pill was a huge problem, I think it over loaded my liver with fake hormones, plus back in the day I used to eat super crappy... so I started to get acne after being clear all through my teen years, on my 4th year of being on the birth control pill. It all just seems to add up. I think us skinny people have to be careful with our livers. I've been mean to mine, so now I am trying to repair the damage... went off the birth control pill and am taking hormone and liver supporting herbs. I may do some liver cleanses soon too.

MemberMember
(@meheh)

Posted : 04/20/2010 7:59 pm

Our metabolism is higher because it works overtime generating all those new pimples and cysts.

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 04/20/2010 9:42 pm

I made a thread about this in the nutrition section, heres what it said basically

Well after seeing a couple of these type of threads on Acne.org it got me thinking...

Say a skinny person has a fast metabolism, because their body processes food that quickly, their liver is more likely to become overloaded and isnt able to deal with all the toxins/crap as effectively, well since a high metabolism is something you are born with that means your liver has been consistently overloaded and strained since an early age so your liver is probably generally in worse shape then someone who has a slow metabolism?

Secondly and more importantly, someone with a fast metabolism who consumes alot of carbs, processes it that quickly that the blood sugar level spikes are much more intense, insulin response is heightened because of this and the body becomes resistant to these high levels of insulin over time (again since early age), so at the end of the day in the skinny person's case, high insulin levels (meaning higher androgen activity in general, also meaning more of the androgen DHT which causes more oil) are the norm for the person, which combined with the poor liver function = acne.

Whereas a larger person with a slow metabolism processes food much more slower, so both the liver function and insulin/blood sugar levels have not been damaged or unbalanced consistently since early age.

I was thinking maybe thats why people who are skinnier generally have more acne whereas bigger people usually have nicer skin. I personally have noticed this and the general consensus on these boards is the same.

Has what I said made much sense? Im pretty new to this whole diet and holistic, high GI, sugar and insulin thing but I think I've got the right idea maybe?

This is the first thing that I have ever read about acne that makes COMPLETE sense to me.... Trust me if there was a herb or some way of slowing down my metabolism I would do it. I eat VERY healthy but I also eat like a pig.. I eat A LOT of food... and I am STILL SO SKINNY. PLUS I have issues with alcohol, I cant drink like my friends can, even if I have one drink I feel like complete ass the next day. Could my liver be the culprit? I had a lady at a health food store tell me that if your liver is over loaded it has a hard time processing your hormones too. For me, I honestly think that my birth control pill was a huge problem, I think it over loaded my liver with fake hormones, plus back in the day I used to eat super crappy... so I started to get acne after being clear all through my teen years, on my 4th year of being on the birth control pill. It all just seems to add up. I think us skinny people have to be careful with our livers. I've been mean to mine, so now I am trying to repair the damage... went off the birth control pill and am taking hormone and liver supporting herbs. I may do some liver cleanses soon too.

Good luck! What liver supporting herbs are you taking? I currently take Milk thistle extract, Taurine, Niacin (non flush), vitamin C, Vitamin D3, calcium, magnesium and Alpha lipoic acid and NAC (although the latter two not every day). To be honest it is hard to see if they have made much difference but they havent made things any worse so I stick with em

Recently though Ive changed to a low sugar diet (no refined sugars and limited fruit) and also low GI food such as brown rice instead of chips or white rice, and Ive seen a massive improvement in acne, an actual noticable improvement which makes me think the thing about insulin and blood sugar spikes is a major factor for me as I used to eat really crappy aswell, and a LOT of sugar. Ive started taking psyllium husk (a fibre) after carb heavy meals to slow down the digestion (therefore slowing down glucose metabolism), and also have bought some chromium picolinate (supposed to help balance blood sugar levels) but have yet to implement it into my supplement regimen.

A good place to look for liver tips, and general acne/diet/health tips is Alternativsta's thread in the nutrition section. Full of useful stuff

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...;hl=cliff+notes

MemberMember
(@tdot)

Posted : 04/22/2010 12:19 pm

Good luck! What liver supporting herbs are you taking? I currently take Milk thistle extract, Taurine, Niacin (non flush), vitamin C, Vitamin D3, calcium, magnesium and Alpha lipoic acid and NAC (although the latter two not every day). To be honest it is hard to see if they have made much difference but they havent made things any worse so I stick with em

Recently though Ive changed to a low sugar diet (no refined sugars and limited fruit) and also low GI food such as brown rice instead of chips or white rice, and Ive seen a massive improvement in acne, an actual noticable improvement which makes me think the thing about insulin and blood sugar spikes is a major factor for me as I used to eat really crappy aswell, and a LOT of sugar. Ive started taking psyllium husk (a fibre) after carb heavy meals to slow down the digestion (therefore slowing down glucose metabolism), and also have bought some chromium picolinate (supposed to help balance blood sugar levels) but have yet to implement it into my supplement regimen.

A good place to look for liver tips, and general acne/diet/health tips is Alternativsta's thread in the nutrition section. Full of useful stuff

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...;hl=cliff+notes

I'm taking dong quai, black cohosh, blessed thistle, blue cohosh and cramp bark.

The thing is, I've been on a low sugar, no dairy, hardly any processed foods diet for years, and it seems to help but it doesnt fully take away the problem. My hormones are the biggest problem and it sucks cause they are so hard to control :(. I'm yoru diet is working well for you :)

Thanks for the advice :).

MemberMember
(@maya94)

Posted : 04/22/2010 3:53 pm

I think about that all the time...That's the main reason why I don't believe diet is a main factor in the cause of acne...Too bad I don't have an exact answer for you,though..I'm sorry :(

MemberMember
(@jamiefaith2)

Posted : 01/10/2012 10:50 am

But why do i just get it on my face then? I wouldn't say i'm Skinny skinny, I'm average, but, if the toxins are released thru my skin, according to your theory, then why isn't my entire body broken out, and instead it's just on my face??

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 01/18/2012 11:49 pm

im skinny too but can herbs and whatnot really help? so many people say they dont at all. I've been taking milk thistle for ages and some other ones to help and i dont think they made a difference. Im on birth control but too scared to come off it. its all so confusing. people say its all got to do with your gut, then its all about the liver then its all about DHT i dont even know what to do. And it seems like diet whether i cut out gluten or eat a lot of sugar, or not at all, affects my face. it kinda just constantly stays the same and fluctuates with my period/before etc.

kinda feel doomed.

MemberMember
(@kat001)

Posted : 01/19/2012 12:10 am

This is so true! I'm 49kgs and have always been small and battled it my whole life!

MemberMember
(@pimple123)

Posted : 01/19/2012 7:14 pm

I see both overweight and underweight people with acne. I think you just happen to be hanging out with the skinny crowd.

MemberMember
(@nycguy83)

Posted : 01/24/2012 2:46 pm

I swear, my mom was the first alternative therapy person. We couldn't have candy or sodas or chips etc except for special occasions. If we wanted candy she would tell us to eat fruit. No joke...

You're lucky, although i'm sure you didn't think so at the time ;)

My mom wasn't quite as strict, but was always giving us fruits and vegetables and tofu etc, i ate terribly as a child when i could, but now my diet is plant-based, lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, olive oil, etc, no fast food ever. In part I thank my mom's early exposure to healthy food...

MemberMember
(@limpbizkitfan)

Posted : 01/30/2012 10:31 pm

THIS

I always noticed that people that gain weight easily don't have any acne problems but the people who have acne are always skinny/average and don't gain weight very easily & it's difficult for them to put on weight if they tried.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 02/06/2012 3:05 am

THIS

I always noticed that people that gain weight easily don't have any acne problems but the people who have acne are always skinny/average and don't gain weight very easily & it's difficult for them to put on weight if they tried.

im skinny, i always have been really. I've always been able to pretty much eat anything i pleased. But i dont think this means anything as i've seen it both ways.However someone said that it relates to how our [skinny ppl] deal with lipid levels and fat in general. People that gain weight obviously store fat on their body therefore it stays out of their blood, out of their pores rather than someone who is skinny. Again i read something like this on an old thread.And im tired right now so dont quote me for being wrong.

But i tend to agree somewhat with what i seen. that would mean skinny people should manage their lipid levels better. (cholesterol). I had my blood checked last year when i was improving skin wise and the doc said my lipid levels were great. So stay active (moderate exercise 60mins or more imo) take supplements , and be happy lol.

i need to go to bed...zzzz

MemberMember
(@blackblake)

Posted : 02/09/2012 11:35 am

Yea i have actually always noticed this. My friend, whos like 300 lbs..., barely has any acne. And im like 150, and iv delt with acne for like 10 years now. Im jelly. Cause he can pack away junk food like no tomorrow that i dare not to even touch. And he does have MILD ( and i mean very mild ) acne problems, but its barely noticeable. Not really sure why this is though.

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 02/09/2012 3:06 pm

Just as many people have seen acne-ridden individuals that are overweight or not overweight. This suggests that there is no correlation, and therefore no need to discuss any causal relationship.

FYI malodrax, sebum contains fat, but no, it is not essentially fat you would see in adipose tissue. Sebum has a specific free fatty acid composition, including a natural antioxidant.

Dietary calories converted to and stored as adipocytes, which you guessed are being secreted out the pores, are generally metabolized at the cellular level to generate ketone bodies and adenosine triphosphate, the "energy molecules," via ketogenesis, gluconeogenesis and cellular respiration respectively. Fat is generally used for generating these energy molecules, unless you are inefficient at metabolizing fat, which would most likely make you a bit chubby. This lightly touches on the body fat percentage variance among any person, completely irrelevant to presence of acne, which is a product of hyperkerinization, overgrowth of bacteria and inflammation/overactive immune response.

MemberMember
(@wantthisacnegone)

Posted : 02/29/2012 11:48 am

Well, this may not matter much but I 'kinda' see myself as fat. And I have mild cystic acne. I'm about 20 pounds overweight (which I'm trying to lose!). I've seen people of all sizes get acne, lol.

MemberMember
(@jenny-p)

Posted : 03/09/2012 5:25 pm

Yeah, but it is true that MOST people with REAL acne, are skinny. People should start accepting that fact and try to think of WHY it is so we can get closer to figuring out why people have acne and why others don't.

MemberMember
(@jjn)

Posted : 03/09/2012 11:06 pm

You cannot say the majority of people with acne are skinny/underweight. Do you have a study from a reputable medical journal to back that up? There is so much misinformation on this forum with regards to acne. People need to stop pulling facts out of their ass.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/28/2012 9:47 pm

Of all the people in my classes that had the worst acne, almost all of them were either : skinny, underweight, or muscular (toned muscular)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/31/2012 1:53 pm

I'm going to echo what some others have said and add something.

1) Generally skinny people have a higher testosterone to estrogen ratio. Fat people have more estrogen. Estrogen = clear skin.

2) I question the idea that there are so few fat people with acne. I have known a bunch. Think of how many acne sufferers wear tons of makeup and/or never leave the house. Do you think an obese acne sufferer is gonna be out and about very often?

3) Sometimes we are skinny not because of testosterone but because of a malabsorption problem. If you don't have a good functioning gut, you can eat a ton and not gain weight because you're not properly absorbing the nutrients. With a leaky gut, though, you're basically leaking all sorts of stuff into your body in places it shouldn't go.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/31/2012 10:59 pm

I'm going to echo what some others have said and add something.

1) Generally skinny people have a higher testosterone to estrogen ratio. Fat people have more estrogen. Estrogen = clear skin.

2) I question the idea that there are so few fat people with acne. I have known a bunch. Think of how many acne sufferers wear tons of makeup and/or never leave the house. Do you think an obese acne sufferer is gonna be out and about very often?

3) Sometimes we are skinny not because of testosterone but because of a malabsorption problem. If you don't have a good functioning gut, you can eat a ton and not gain weight because you're not properly absorbing the nutrients. With a leaky gut, though, you're basically leaking all sorts of stuff into your body in places it shouldn't go.

yea i often thought about it in this way. I eat a lot of food (often nutrient dense) yet it seems (i feel this way) i get zero nutrients from my food.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 08/31/2012 11:19 pm

Skinny people have no fat for the toxins to store themselves in, so they exit through our skin.

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 09/01/2012 7:01 pm

My thought is that we all have health issues/ and/ or do bad things to our bodies. Maybe our bodies just deal with them in different ways: some people gain weight from eating unhealthy foods, while others' skin reflects their issues. But honestly, I don't really feel there is a connection between being skiiny and having acne.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/08/2012 11:34 am

I'm convinced that diet has nothing to do with my acne. Even when I eat healthy I still get acne. And I've spent money on gluten/milk intolerance tests and everything says I'm fine. I am 6' 145lbs and pretty skinny. My testosterone levels have got to be through the roof because my facial hair grows at least twice as fast as normal guys (I've measured) and I produce tons of oil.

I agree that 95% of the people I see with acne are skinny.

MemberMember
(@billz7)

Posted : 09/17/2012 11:10 am

I'm 43.5 kg and I'm 5ft 1 , I've been this size for a while now and I'm 22 , I used to be even tinier tho when I was 18! I have had persistent acne that goes n comes back for 3 years now , I obv have a fast metabolism , I mainly eat well and drink lots of water and don't drink alcohol much , I smoke which may be a factor, and I cut dairy out , caffeine , gluten for a whole and it made no change so I brought it back into my diet which didn't cause any problems to my skin , it just stayed the same