Notifications
Clear all

Breaking out after tanning?

MemberMember
(@jen5276)

Posted : 02/25/2008 10:00 am

Hi everyone!

I just started to go tanning again after I hadn't gone it several months. I usually go once a week just to keep a little color in the winter because I feel so pasty if I don't.

I noticed that if I skip a week, my skin starts breaking out really bad. I have noticed this in the past when I stopped going too.

I use BP Gel twice a day now (as opposed to once a day before) and it seems to be helping. But could the tanning really be causing my breakouts?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@barbie89)

Posted : 02/26/2008 1:58 pm

Hmm...i'm not to sure but from my own experience when i stop tanning i break out BADLY! When i tan i have crystal clear skin and then when i stop i break out...tanning is good for your skin in moderation..so i'm not really sure...i know i'm a big help..lol.

MemberMember
(@dulcemiel83)

Posted : 02/26/2008 3:49 pm

Tanning will damage your skin & actually make you more acne prone. Trust me I know. I went tanning last year & that's when my skin started to get pretty bad. I even started to breakout on my arms! The same thing happened to one of my friends. Her skin was crystal clear! After she started tanning, she would get big zits. Keep in mind that acne can take up to 2 weeks to pop up.so when you go tanning, you're not going to see the damage right away.

I suggest you stop going tanning & maybe look into sunless tanners. Paula's Choice & Almay make gel formulas that are great for oily skin. I use those, along with the L'Oreal Sublime Glow Mist for my body & it looks great. And it's sooooo much better for my skin!!!!! Moreover, you are sooo not gona want the leathery skin when you're older.

MemberMember
(@megaaaanb)

Posted : 02/26/2008 4:41 pm

My dermotologist told me that tanning beds cause an increase in sebum production, which causes acne. And also that it causes skin cells to shed irreguarly. I found that tanning helps with my pimples. But after a couple years of doing it I realized that it was the source of all my whiteheads and blackheads, which have been impossible to get rid of. If you're going to continue tanning you should exfoliate very well after and make sure to moisturize often.

MemberMember
(@jen5276)

Posted : 02/27/2008 9:10 am

Thanks guys. I did a little research myself on this and you are all correct, the tanning definitley is the culprit here. I think I am going to stop going, and just use the sunless tanners. I have a few that I like that don't break me out.

It's better for all of us in the long run to stop tanning anyway. Thanks for the advice.

MemberMember
(@bgdreamer)

Posted : 02/27/2008 9:55 am

My name is Kimberly. I'm new here. Your question about tanning...I have noticed for the past several years, if I tan I do-NOT breakout! It's like it dries up all the bad "junk" in my skin. I know it's not healthy...I know I know!!! But it helps my breakouts. Just thought I'd share.

MemberMember
(@drewseph)

Posted : 02/27/2008 11:49 am

hey yall I too believe my years of heavy sun exposure all through my youth contributed to my badd comendonal acne I now have....

I live in florida (the sunshine state) and have a very outdoors lifestyle, as I spend 4-6 days a week at the beach. This spring & summer will be no different..

HOW can I prevent this massive buildup of comedonal acne that has resulted from always being dark brown tan (including my face)?

PS I finish my exhaustive accutane course in june 08

MemberMember
(@leigha81)

Posted : 02/27/2008 12:20 pm

I would like to use a sunless tanner but everyone I've tried have broken me out or made me look orange. Anyone have any favs that won't break me out I'm sick of the winter pasties!!!lol

MemberMember
(@jewel_001)

Posted : 02/27/2008 12:48 pm

L'ancome Flash Bronzer. Fab colour good for pale skins and prob twice as good for those lucky olives lol and it's a gel that instantly disappears into your skin i hardly feel like even applied any product, and big bonus it def doesn't break me out! Best facial bronzer ive ever tried for sure.

Tanning is prob one of the worst things (externally) you can do for your skin. Acne aside, you is still gonna be running in the donnatella versace leathery skin compo in 10+ years time. I used to be a sunbed junkie now i don't even wanna go in the real sun let alone to the tanning station. Nice skin is not just skin void of acne.....there's age spots, hyperpigmentation, sagginess, dullness and omg dare i say it...WRINKLES...*shudders* my worst nightmare...I've already begun the battle and im only 22. I put that down to sunbeds.

Looks good now and yeah i sure as heck miss a real tan it makes you feel so good.... but sun/beds + nice skin do NOT go together, period. Also it hinders the healing of any acne, yeah it blends the marks in and makes them less noticeable but they are still there underneath taking even longer to heal and in the long run you are more likely to scar.

Not being preachy cos i was a tan junky once upon a time too! :D

MemberMember
(@pinupgurrl)

Posted : 01/08/2019 3:56 pm

The skin all over my body always clears up almost immediately when I tan.which is just seasonal during the winter to help with seasonal depression and eczema. And about 2 weeks after I stopmy acne comes back with vengeance.