Notifications
Clear all

Bioifilm temporary and permanent fillers

MemberMember
(@vicki)

Posted : 04/14/2018 4:00 pm

I had a persistent infection after a laser procedure followed up with temporary filler. It is 1 1/2 years later and it is almost under control. I had after two one week rounds of antibiotic several weeks apart. Applied lots of natural antibacterial substances such as tumeric and echinacea purpura. When I read about the fact that permanent filler devices grow into the bone and tissues and therefore the problem could not be corrected, I was very grateful mine was only temporary filler. An infection in a permanent device would be a lifelong nightmare. Or could be. Good luck to all who are now recognizing this as a possible source of chronic source of staph infection. Be aware, it will not culture as staph. Thank you to all who are researching the problem. Many articles appear in NCBI online.

MemberMember
(@obi-wan)

Posted : 04/14/2018 7:58 pm

This illustrates why fillers and lasers or microneedling should never be done in the same sitting. The initial report on this consensus was by Greg Goodman and colleagues in Melbourne Australia. Yes, we all know of many dermatologists, no names mentioned, most in LA, that combine treatments. With the review of the literature and what could go wrong with fillers and infection, I totally agree with your point of view.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/15/2018 7:21 am

@vickiYou can link NCBI articles, they are educational and will help others here. Please tell us more about your situation, did it finally resolve, ... what did you find that worked? Did they useHyaluronidase to dissolve the filler? If it did not "culture as staph," how did you recognize what it was? Any other hints or tips about your experience? Did any natural treatments seem to help? Would you get filler again or are you over it completely.