Notifications
Clear all

Tretinoin & Glycolic Acid Combination Therapy Study W/ B&As

MemberMember
(@labellavita1985)

Posted : 04/15/2018 11:54 am

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4375771/

What do you guys think about this? We are always told that nothing topical will improve acne scars, so how is this possible?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/15/2018 5:37 pm

Try it this is all in the peel section of the faq (mega post). Many use tretinorin on here and glycolic is a more gentle peal than tca. So sure for very minor scars it could help. I see their scars still in the pictures they discoloration looks better and they are softened in appearance.

MemberMember
(@labellavita1985)

Posted : 04/15/2018 6:05 pm

I still think these are very impressive results for "just" a chemical peel with tretinoin. Glycolic is not even a deep peel. It's very encouraging. If it helps even remotely with atrophic scarring, why isn't it recommended more?

The other thing is they didn't even use a peel in this study. They used a 12% glycolic cream. That's crazy to me. But so encouraging.

MemberMember
(@labellavita1985)

Posted : 04/15/2018 6:40 pm

Actually I'm not finding a lot on glycolic in the FAQ, except for in the hyperpigmentation section.

MemberMember
(@raster)

Posted : 04/15/2018 8:50 pm

Reading through the paper, it looks like it was done to 'early scars", which respond better to treatments. Still, some of the pictures look to be quite a noticeable improvement, and given that glycolic and retinoic acids are easy to procure, might be a good method for people to try.

If anything else, it would be a good improvement to the quality of your skin.

MemberMember
(@labellavita1985)

Posted : 04/15/2018 9:56 pm

I'm definitely incorporating glycolic into my routine now, like you said, if for no other reason than to improve the overall health/quality of my skin. The only thing I want to disagree on is that I'm not so sure these are recent scars, because there's hardly any discoloration in the Before shots, especially in Figures 1, 3 and 4. The erythema has subsided, which to me means these are probably not THAT recent.

Now I just have to decide if I should do daily applications of low percentage glycolic (like in the study) or once a week or biweekly applications of high percentage glycolic. I found another paper that says biweekly applications of between 20% and 70% glycolic were better for improving acne scars than daily application of 15% glycolic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11095203?log$=activity