Notifications
Clear all

Would you go to a MD (Non Plastic Surgeon) for Subcision?

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 01/24/2016 4:53 pm

I have a consultation with a non plastic surgeon but an MD for subcision. Do you think this is wise? She advertises for this procedure on her website. She certainly looks competent.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/24/2016 7:23 pm

And MD is a medical doctor. For example, a Dermatologist (they perform subcision)are medical doctors specialized in dermatology. They are legally allowed to perform a few, sometimes distinct surgical procedures as other doctors in the field. Scrutinize her very good, ask her for before and afters and be assertive. Good luck!!

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 01/25/2016 9:33 am

Thanks Robertitoo,
I am not even sure if this MD is a dermatologist. However, she does have acne scar correction on her website. She's gotten two one star bad reviews on a review website. But the others were good. However, I can't recall if the reviews were for acne scars or not.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/25/2016 9:57 pm

Every licensed doctor is an MD. All doctors go through school and pick a specialization like dermatology or oncology, or pediatrics and then have to get board certified in their specific areas.

Here's where it gets confusing:

A lot of doctors are getting into the cosmetic surgery game because they know it's easy money. All cosmetic procedures are out of pocket, meaning that insurance will never cover any of these procedures. Doctors from all sorts of disciplines are abandoning what they specialized in school for and taking a few weekend courses and workshops and then setting up med spas. A lot of them literally have next to no experience in doing cosmetic procedures. There's this phenomenon of dentists, gynecologists doing lasers, botox, and fillers now. It's the wild wild west in cosmetic medicine. That's why it is so IMPORTANT and CRUCIAL that you scrutinize their background.

Also, legally the only people that can call themselves Plastic surgeons are people who specificially are board certified in plastic surgery. A lot of doctors call themselves "Cosmetic Surgeons" because legally they cannot call themselves plastic surgeons. It's a sneaky little way they deceive the public. The only official regulatory body for plastic surgeons is the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. All the other boards like the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery or any other "official" sounding boards are totally fake and set up by non plastic surgeons to give the impression they are official. Don't fall for it. Even our famous Dr. Rahimi calls himself a cosmetic surgeon. He is however, NOT legally a plastic surgeon. He's simply a board certified dermatologistwho also dabbles in some cosmetic surgery procedures, because that's where the big bucks are. The important thing is to always research and don't buy everything you hear from ANY doctor. That said, it doesn't mean these "cosmetic surgeons" don't do good work, it's just that they're being a little misleading with their supposed training. The cosmetic surgery business is almost totally unregulated and anyone with an MD,no experience to years of experience can call themselves a cosmetic surgeon.

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 01/26/2016 7:38 am

Thanks blahblah82. Very informative. I go for the consultation today. Now I am getting a little worried. lol I suppose I can find her medical degree online. Maybe I should play it safe and stick with a board certified plastic surgeon.

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 01/26/2016 3:03 pm

I saw the doctor. She recommended I do the dermapen and if there is a problem later consider subcision. This surprised me. She was also a fan of ablastive lasers. SHE DID NOT KNOW WHAT TCA CROSS WAS. The price seemed reasonable for 4 dermapen procedures.... 1400. I'm not sure what to think. She did not have photos of dermapen patients. I do kind of know a guy who does dermapens. I went to his wedding years ago. Not sure if he remember me but his wife knows who I am. Maybe I should talk to him. He's a doctor but not a plastic surgeon. They both go under the title of cosmetic surgeon.