Notifications
Clear all

Microneedling depth and needle replacement schedule

MemberMember
(@d00little)

Posted : 01/23/2016 1:58 pm

I have just recently purchased the Derminator from Owndoc. I have only tested up to a depth of 1.0mm on other parts of my body so far. I plan on beginning with 1.0mm on my cheeks, temple and forehead and then progress from there.

I was wondering what other people recommend for the maximum needline depth on the face? I'm afraid of going to deep on the temple and forehead since the skin seems much thinner here. I was thinking of going up to 1.5mm on the temple and forehead, 2.0mm on the cheeks.

Also, how often do others replace the needles (or device in the case of rollers and pens/stamps)? I read that they can get dull quicker when used on scar tissue and that they are more painful when not sharp.

(BTW, I also plan on getting subcision).

MemberMember
(@guevarabeats)

Posted : 01/24/2016 10:38 am

I also recently got a derminator about two days ago and I was wondering when to replace the needles.. as for the depth I do 2mm everywhere but thats me I don't want to recommend that for everyone.

MemberMember
(@d00little)

Posted : 01/24/2016 2:20 pm

3 hours ago, GuevaraBeats said:

I also recently got a derminator about two days ago and I was wondering when to replace the needles.. as for the depth I do 2mm everywhere but thats me I don't want to recommend that for everyone.

How did your skin react to the 2mm? Was there much bleeding? Did it take a few days to look normal? I just did 1mm last night and there was really no sign of the needling this morning.

Also, how often do you plan on doing it? I read the guide on the Owndoc website said at 2mm, it is recommended every 5 weeks, but that seems like quite a long time to wait between sessions.

MemberMember
(@guevarabeats)

Posted : 01/24/2016 5:47 pm

3 hours ago, d00little said:
How did your skin react to the 2mm? Was there much bleeding? Did it take a few days to look normal? I just did 1mm last night and there was really no sign of the needling this morning.

Also, how often do you plan on doing it? I read the guide on the Owndoc website said at 2mm, it is recommended every 5 weeks, but that seems like quite a long time to wait between sessions.

I did get pin point bleeding but it wasn't nothing that concerned me and I was good the following day.

Honestly I needle every two weeks.

MemberMember
(@dan34)

Posted : 01/25/2016 12:28 am

I recover from needling in a week to the point where you can't see any redness, but I've read that it's important to leave at least a month in between sessions. Do you think doing it every two weeks is bad if you're a quick healer?

MemberMember
(@paul-b)

Posted : 04/28/2016 6:49 am

On 24/01/2016 at 5:28 AM, Dan34 said:

Do you think doing it every two weeks is bad if you're a quick healer?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think how quickly the skin is perceived to heal should have an impact on how frequently you needle. The important bit about micro-needling is you set off the process of collagen production and it takes time to convert from one type of collagen to another. I think that there are three different types, and If you needle again before that process has moved past the first checkpoint, you undo the good work by destroying that newly stimulated collagen and effectively keep going back to square one. What's going on under the skin isn't visible to us.

If you adhere to the recommended time-frames based on what needle size you are using, you can safely start off a new collagen induction process by needling again - without the risk of interfering with what you've done before as the collagen has advanced to the next stage of its development. Therefore, over the course of time and repeated needling sessions you will hopefully notice continued improvement.

That's the way I understand it anyway, someone please do tell me if I'm talking rubbish.