Notifications
Clear all

Looking For More Effective Solution (Pics Included)

MemberMember
(@scott8153)

Posted : 08/14/2015 4:38 pm

Over the last few years I've tried microneedling both with and without PRP to help get rid of the scars on my face (they're worst on my temples, they look worse than in the pics). With PRP, I seemed to get the worst results to the point where I think I experienced regression. Before I commit to spending a lot of money on another treatment with the Fraxel laser (and doctors have been pretty split on whether I would get good results or not), I wanted to see if any of you had any recommendations on how to proceed from here.

Thanks!

-Scott

post-484914-0-61476300-1439587642.jpg

post-484914-0-72801300-1439587643.jpg

post-484914-0-75292900-1439587644.jpg

MemberMember
(@templeofdoom)

Posted : 08/14/2015 4:50 pm

I also have scarring on both temples, although my right temple is a lot worse than yours.

I've tried co2 laser, derma-roller, peels, Enerjet, Inifini, and dermal filler. The enerjet made a slight difference to the texture but not really the scarring, the filler also made a slight difference but I need to get more asap, which I believe should make a decent difference.

My advice would be to get fraxel laser and then dermal-fillers. I opted to get filler instead of fraxel laser as I already spent 2k on treatments and only had enough money left for filler.

You can see my pics here -

Scott8153 liked
MemberMember
(@northernflare)

Posted : 08/14/2015 9:34 pm

I totally get what you are feeling. We are our own worst critics, but if it were me, your scarring is way too mild to take any invasive risks. Don't think I would ever notice your scars in real life.

Scott8153 liked
MemberMember
(@factoid)

Posted : 08/14/2015 11:23 pm

Those scars would respond very well to subcision/suction. The fact that subcision was never attempted is frankly mind-blowing, its cheap, simple and effective, especially when multiple rounds are performed. Find another plastic surgeon is my advice.

Scott8153 liked
MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/15/2015 12:26 am

If by Fraxel you mean non-ablative Fraxel : Restore, I honestly would not waste my time or money on it. Fraxel Restore does not have great reviews for acne scarring. Subcision + suction is pretty safe and would probably work well on your scars. The skin overlying the scars looks smooth, so if you do subcision it will mostly blend in well. On the other end, if you had a lot of deep boxcar scars, subcision would elevate it but there would still be texture issues because of the sharp borders.

MemberMember
(@templeofdoom)

Posted : 08/15/2015 8:47 am

Regarding the subcision comments. I went to a consultation for subcision in London and I was told the temple area is a huge risk and generally a no-go zone as the skin in that area is far too thin for the treatment.

MemberMember
(@factoid)

Posted : 08/15/2015 11:50 am

The temples are a place you need to be extra careful, yes, but if you know what you're doing and aren't going too deep then you'll be fine. Its basically just a personal preference, some plastic surgeons simply don't feel comfortable working in that region while other, likely more experienced ones do.

vM8PIDi.png

And there's always TCA CROSS for those deep, stubborn icepicks and boxcars.

MemberMember
(@templeofdoom)

Posted : 08/15/2015 2:56 pm

Thanks for sharing this info. The surgeon I went to see is rated very highly in London so I went with his advice. I might look into this more in the future I guess with another surgeon, those results look pretty good.

MemberMember
(@factoid)

Posted : 08/15/2015 4:31 pm

You can thank Robertitoo for the screenshot.

The thing about plastic surgeons, highly rated or otherwise, is that they are only as good as their familiarity with the state of the art. Well, that and their ability to put optimal outcomes ahead of their greed. You'd be surprised how clueless a lot of them actually are when it comes to the recent advances in acne scar treatments, I have actually been in a situation on no less than 2 occasions when I, a layperson, had to explain to a licensed plastic surgeon with diplomas on the wall what subcison and TCA CROSS are, they'd simply never heard of them, even though the scientific literature repeatedly shows how effective they are.

Worse are the ones that do know but will steer you towards laser treatment regardless, they've invested hundreds of thousands into that Fraxel/CO2/Erbium/whatever machine and dammit, they're going to get a return on that investment no matter what!

What is hilarious is how plastic surgeons from developing nations without all that fancy equipment are able to outperform their Western counterparts simply by combining several basic procedures for a fraction of the price. I posted about this in more detail in the Scarless Healing thread, we're now starting to see clinical studies where certain patients are going from Grade 3 scarring to Grade 0, as in no more atrophy, the skin is level again.

MemberMember
(@thepwhisp)

Posted : 10/20/2015 7:39 pm

I have the same exact scars so I know how you feel. Really not terrible, but annoying as hell just knowing they are there. I just recently posted something with pictures if you want to check it out.

Did the microneedling help at all?

I am currently looking for a solution as well.

MemberMember
(@mcpoopy-scoopies)

Posted : 10/22/2015 9:04 pm

I agree with everthing blahblah82 said. I would do subcision/suctioning.