Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Have Good Results With Dermabrasion?

MemberMember
(@eheheh)

Posted : 11/10/2013 4:16 pm

Thinking of giving dermabrasion a try as a first treatment for my acne scarring on the nose. I've heard other individual treatments are not too effective for the nose area and I'm a little frightened by lasers.

Anyone have good results with dermabrasion for moderate scarring? Do you think a dermabrasion would benefit me? Also, does anyone know of a place that offers dermabrasion in California? Thanks!

Types of Scars I Have: Four scars between the middle of my nose and the tip. One medium sized icepick, one broad shallow boxcar, and two moderate depth circular scars. Quite a few enlarged pores in that area as well.

Background Information: I had inflammatory acne but it's now under control. I am a medium brown skin color.

post-360185-0-69445100-1384118154.jpg

post-360185-0-69445100-1384118154.jpg

MemberMember
(@freshman)

Posted : 11/10/2013 5:25 pm

I had dermabrasion done in September, but I haven't seen any improvement :(

There are no big side effects, I'm not even red anymore, so it could be that the surgeon didn't go deep enough.

I haven't had my nose dermabraded though, and I have severe scars.Also, it probably depends on the surgeon doing the procedure.

I have white/fair skin, you mentioned your skin was darker, so that may be an issue.

My opinion is that it in general doesn't work for deeper scars (my dermabrasion didn't even improve my more shallow, smaller scars, but that's probably just my doctor).I now think that the deeper scars need to be treated with excision/subcision depending on the scar and then maybe eventually dermabraded to even everything out.

However, I'm not too familiar with treating nose scars, that may be different in some way.

Sorry this review hasn't been more positive.

For what it's worth it is a very small area of your skin and the rest of your skin is not scarred (I assume). I don't think anyone cares about it half as much as you do wink.png

MemberMember
(@eheheh)

Posted : 11/10/2013 8:22 pm

I've heard that dermabrasion is a procedure that must be done by someone very skilled at it to achieve good results. Perhaps your surgeon was a little hesitant about making things worse so that's why he didn't go deeper. :( I'm really sorry about your experience, it must really suck to have your hopes let down that way. Is there anything else you're planning on trying?
I think getting subcision to plump the scars up a little before resurfacing techniques is probably a good idea. It probably does lead to better results since the scars would be a little shallower after subcision. I've heard pretty good reviews of subcision for rolling scars, if that's what you have.
The rest of my face has just two teeny tiny icepicks and a few red marks; thank god I got my acne under control quickly. It was my nose that got some huge pimples unfortunately. Thank you for being so kind. I wish the scars wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't have to go through all this anxiety about it but they're like dead center in a line and they bother me A LOT. :(
I wish you luck with whatever you try and that you get to a place where you are happy with how you look. Everyone deserves that. (:
MemberMember
(@freshman)

Posted : 11/10/2013 9:05 pm

Thank you :)

I want to try subcision and excision since I have rolling scars and icepicks. Unfortunately I can't find anyone in my country who performs these procedures, so I will have to travel.

Best of luck to you as well! And please don't let your scars influence your life too much cause it's really not worth it (easier said than done, I know).Nobody worth having in your life is gonna care about these scars.