Notifications
Clear all

General Scar Treatment Question

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/06/2012 1:37 pm

So if needling, lasers, dermabrasion... and what have you..."triggers a wound-healing process that replaces thedisorganized, compacted scartissue with healthy new tissue, greatly diminishing the appearance of scar tissue."

If thats the improvement we're seeing.

Is that statement true for what really happens? Because it sort of makes sense... but then again, I have a hard time believing what money hungry people have to say in the research I've attempted.

So anyone with improvements from such procedures, is that really what's going on?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 12/06/2012 2:37 pm

The one thing I can never get is how and why the damaged tissue would be replaced with healthy tissue, instead of more disorganized scar tissue.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/06/2012 3:02 pm

Same. I'm actually experimenting on a small scar on my hand I got with some tool I was using for shredding a costume. It left a slightly indented scar. And a linear scar on my arm from a fall.

I needled the scar on my arm. It looks different. I'm going to document the progress. For the scar on my hand I... scraped across the skin with a knife at an attempt at something similar to dermabrasion. It now looks like a big hole cause I keep picking at it. I decided it'd be easier to document the progress if it's larger. Painful, gross, and... probably not the best idea, but I'd rather experiment on my body than my face. As for the skin being different, its just as delicate.

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 12/06/2012 11:52 pm

If you have true tissue loss, it is very hard to ever see a real difference. However, with acne scars there is different type of collagen that is often produced. Sometimes when you reinjure the location without the original infection that caused the whole in the middle, the body can repair differently. The wider the scar, the harder it is. That is why you really shouldn't pick at acne, because you will indefinitely make it wider. Now, I've never dealt with true ice pick scarring, and I've read that is very difficult to improve, unless you maybe do TCA cross. The acid fuses those scars together with more scar tissue. Maybe that makes sense?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 12/07/2012 9:04 am

Yeah Tricia, maybe you're right in that the difference is there is no infection causing the remodelling. Instead we treat the skin well as it heals which may make all the difference. When you say true tissue loss, you are talking about non-acne scarring? It seems we have some tissue loss if the scar is indented...