Notifications
Clear all

Need Suggestions With Shallow Acne Scars

MemberMember
(@to1993)

Posted : 12/06/2012 5:11 pm

Hello everyone, I have been suffering from acne since I was about 17. I am now 19 and I am 99% cleared from acne with daily use of spectro gel, clindamycin solution with dilusol and differin gel 0.1%. Although my scars have improved quite a bit since I got them 2 years ago, I am still not satisfied. I would need some suggestions on what treatments I could possibly do. My scars are fairly shallow. Some of them are clustered in one spot but for the most part they are isolated. I am thinking of purchasing derma stamp but I am not sure what size I should get? Can someone please give me some suggestions?Thanks!

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/06/2012 6:27 pm

1.5 mm is said to penetrate the deepest safely, but if yours are shallow I'd say 1mm at the least.

Where are these scars located? How wide are they?

What kind?

If you don't mind my asking (:

MemberMember
(@to1993)

Posted : 12/06/2012 8:53 pm

I have like about 8-10 scars in my cheeks in total. 2 of them are more prominent. I think most of them are called ice pick scars. I have a wider one beside my nose which I am not entirely worried about. It's those other tiny scars I am worried about because they make my skin tone so uneven. What do you think should I do? And how should I go about needling these scars since most of them are isolated? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/07/2012 9:19 am

Hello everyone, I have been suffering from acne since I was about 17. I am now 19 and I am 99% cleared from acne with daily use of spectro gel, clindamycin solution with dilusol and differin gel 0.1%. Although my scars have improved quite a bit since I got them 2 years ago, I am still not satisfied. I would need some suggestions on what treatments I could possibly do. My scars are fairly shallow. Some of them are clustered in one spot but for the most part they are isolated. I am thinking of purchasing derma stamp but I am not sure what size I should get? Can someone please give me some suggestions?Thanks!

Skin needling should really be done by a professional for the best results. Ice pick scars are generally the trickiest to treat and/or require more treatments to achieve good results. If your scars are very shallow/superficial you want to be careful that you don't over-treat your skin. Sometimes more aggressive treatments are not the way to go. Start light and work your way up if you feel you need to.

First big question: skin tone. The tone of your skin may limit your treatment options. Some treatments cause pigmentation issues and are not suited for dark or Asian skin types. Fair skin tends to respond well to most treatments without the pigmentation issues. Dermarolling/Dermastamping is safe for all skin types but you want to make sure this is the right treatment for you before you spend your hard earned money.

Since your scars are isolated, have you looked into TCA cross? Done by a professional they can set the strength of the acid to suit your skin tone and depth of scarring. Dermastamping isn't a bad idea but you may get better results with a different treatment or by combining multiple treatment options.

I personally do not have ice-pick scarring so hopefully some of us that do can share their experiences with you. 🙂 Otherwise, there is some really good information about all scars and most treatments here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/37108855/Acne-and-Scars

xo

MemberMember
(@to1993)

Posted : 12/07/2012 10:12 am

Skin needling should really be done by a professional for the best results. Ice pick scars are generally the trickiest to treat and/or require more treatments to achieve good results. If your scars are very shallow/superficial you want to be careful that you don't over-treat your skin. Sometimes more aggressive treatments are not the way to go. Start light and work your way up if you feel you need to.

First big question: skin tone. The tone of your skin may limit your treatment options. Some treatments cause pigmentation issues and are not suited for dark or Asian skin types. Fair skin tends to respond well to most treatments without the pigmentation issues. Dermarolling/Dermastamping is safe for all skin types but you want to make sure this is the right treatment for you before you spend your hard earned money.

Since your scars are isolated, have you looked into TCA cross? Done by a professional they can set the strength of the acid to suit your skin tone and depth of scarring. Dermastamping isn't a bad idea but you may get better results with a different treatment or by combining multiple treatment options.

I personally do not have ice-pick scarring so hopefully some of us that do can share their experiences with you. smile.png Otherwise, there is some really good information about all scars and most treatments here: http://www.scribd.co.../Acne-and-Scars

xo

Hey buddy, I have asian skin, fairly yellow/pale. My acne scars are fairly red but a lot of them have faded to close to skin color. I am thinking of purchasing individual needles as supposed to derma stamp so I can just treat one scar at a time. Tell me what you think. Thanks for the help!

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/07/2012 10:29 am

I personally do not have ice-pick scarring so hopefully some of us that do can share their experiences with you. smile.png Otherwise, there is some really good information about all scars and most treatments here: http://www.scribd.co.../Acne-and-Scars

xo

Hey buddy, I have asian skin, fairly yellow/pale. My acne scars are fairly red but a lot of them have faded to close to skin color. I am thinking of purchasing individual needles as supposed to derma stamp so I can just treat one scar at a time. Tell me what you think. Thanks for the help!

🙂 The thing about skin needling/stamping is that it is safe for your skin type and will not harm the normal skin around your actual scars. However, personally I think individual needles are a bad idea. I imagine they would be harder to control accurately, harder to ensure that you're reaching the correct depth when you penetrate your skin and overall too risky. One slip and you could give yourself more ice-pick scars, or worse. I would not trust myself with home treatments of any kind.

But, if you're serious about treating yourself at home why not look into the proper, good quality rollers or stamps as opposed to individual needles? Better yet, have you seen a dermatologist? A second opinion from a professional is not a bad thing, even if you don't end up getting professional treatments.

Sorry I can't offer you more advice on the treatment you want to do. It's just that I am a huge advocate of professional treatments done in sterile conditions. This is your skin, don't take chances.

x