Notifications
Clear all

Regeneration of Human Scar Tissue with Topical Iodine

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 11/28/2009 8:05 pm

I've been using the cheap stuff you can buy at the pharmacy- Iodides Tincture- decolorized, so it doesn't stain. Wish someone could clue me in as to how this might comnpare with Lugol's for the treatment of depressed acne scars??!! I'm really waiting for someone to say the Lugol's actually worked for atrophic scars before I decide to buy it.

MemberMember
(@scars4life)

Posted : 11/28/2009 9:31 pm

First off staining is necessary, if you read the paper, for any type of regeneration to occur.

I'm really waiting for someone to say the Lugol's actually worked for atrophic scars before I decide to buy it.
MemberMember
(@neomike)

Posted : 12/01/2009 9:39 am

Hello guys,

in the next days I will finally get my lugol's dilution (5%). You can ask chemistry labs then the price will be much lower. I will pay 10a for 250ml. This is not a huge thing. For the people here who are using different things. It's not only about the staining. You need the right dilution for this. So if you give this a try then please use lugol's dilution.

After 4 days it has to work. You can see it. If not, then you are doing something wrong. Please read the paper and stick to what you are reading there. I does not make any sense to do a different approach at the moment.

I hope that this will really work, at least we should give it a try.

What do you think?

NEO

MemberMember
(@lac)

Posted : 12/01/2009 12:08 pm

I have been doing this for a couple of weeks off and on. I have not seen any significant visible effects on the skin from the iodine application.

I have tried using lugols and providone-iodine at various times. I have re-stained the scarred area 2-3 times per day. I have been literally dabbing the liquid iodine onto clean unbroken (but visibly old scarred) skin. I have used plenty of the stuff in total; that's not the problem. The staining remains very visible for many hours afterwards.

If there is anything else wrong with this approach then I would welcome some enlightenment. Otherwise I am pretty close to calling this little experiment a failure.

MemberMember
(@neomike)

Posted : 12/01/2009 2:25 pm

@lac:

What is the concentration of your lugol's dilution ?

Why do you use povidione iodine? This will not do anything. You don't have to use it

more than one time a day. Do it before you go to bed. That's all.

After 4 days you will see the scar become hyperemic, bloodflow.

The whole process of regeneration is a long one. You will need several months to see some

visible effect. We are talking about years for the complete regeneration of a severe scar.

I know that most people don't have the time, but yeah it works very slowly. I will see for

my self in the next weeks.

The first thing everyone has to do is, stick to the method in the paper, use lugol's dilution (5%) and then make the scar hyperemic after 4 days. If you are seeing nothing after 4 days, then there was something wrong.

Is everyone else using lugol's at the moment?

Best wishes

NEO

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 12/01/2009 8:26 pm

@lac:

What is the concentration of your lugol's dilution ?

Why do you use povidione iodine? This will not do anything. You don't have to use it

more than one time a day. Do it before you go to bed. That's all.

After 4 days you will see the scar become hyperemic, bloodflow.

The whole process of regeneration is a long one. You will need several months to see some

visible effect. We are talking about years for the complete regeneration of a severe scar.

I know that most people don't have the time, but yeah it works very slowly. I will see for

my self in the next weeks.

The first thing everyone has to do is, stick to the method in the paper, use lugol's dilution (5%) and then make the scar hyperemic after 4 days. If you are seeing nothing after 4 days, then there was something wrong.

Is everyone else using lugol's at the moment?

Best wishes

NEO

I can make the experiment and wait for months patiently and put photos of before and later I can to do all this if you explain to me: scientifically like it is possible that a solution that only contains iodine can generate a regeneration tissue?

if me I can explain the system I do I experiment but believe me, I have studied the regeneration subject and this has less credibility than the god exist.

MemberMember
(@sheelag)

Posted : 12/01/2009 9:31 pm

If the skin shows signs of drying this is due to regeneration not to drying. You should be encouraged that it is working. The regeneration of normal skin has begun.

If no plastic cover is used the changes in the tissue are hard to see but they are going on. Also there would be a greater chance of the skin showing some drying. The drying is not to be avoided only appreciated that regeneration is happening.

Hit and miss applications should be discouraged as soon as you start missing days the regeneration stops within a few days and starts to return to the previous scarred appearance.

Do not be discouraged-- topical iodine works. But it is slow. It will take likely months to regenerate normal skin again. There is no reason to think that acne scars will not be replaced by normal skin in time.

It still is useful to try the Lugol's on a small area first to get a feel for how it works.

Only the 5% Lugol's is recommended. Colorless iodine will likely not work as it is the brown color stain that appears to be the active agent.

D

MemberMember
(@scarcrash)

Posted : 12/01/2009 10:11 pm

Do not be discouraged-- topical iodine works. But it is slow. It will take likely months to regenerate normal skin again. There is no reason to think that acne scars will not be replaced by normal skin in time.

Thanks for joining in on the discussion Doc. It's great to have you here!

MemberMember
(@epcortek)

Posted : 12/01/2009 10:36 pm

im using lugol for 5 days on a slightly depressed burn scar i got from molten metal landing on my skin. Im applying lugols 3 times per day. Morning, after work and before bed. I wish i took a before photo but i didnt. I think something could be happening. So far i noticed a slightly different texture. But nothing dramatic as of yet. If by christmas i see positive signs , i will apply to an excision scar on my face i got from a dermatologist :(

MemberMember
(@lac)

Posted : 12/02/2009 1:51 am

Thanks for the responses, people.

I have used mainly the Lugol's solution. I used it daily for at least an uninterrupted week on the same spot.

The drying effect is indeed happening. I know the doc said drying was a sign of regeneration, but he said a lot of stuff and I don't think all of it is panning out in my attempts so far.

I do not expect a 15yo scar to be wiped away in 10 or 20 days. If I was sure I was seeing any kind of biological effect whatsoever, then I would probably continue this stuff another month just to see what happens. But so far I've gotten nothing much to speak of.

I believe some new hairs sprouted through the scar in the first 2-3 days. But I'm not entirely sure those hairs weren't already present when i started. Either way there have been no further signs of effects since then.

MemberMember
(@lac)

Posted : 12/02/2009 3:20 am

I have also been applying lugols to an area of thinning scap hair (regular male pattern baldness problems) off and on for the same few weeks.

There are absolutely no signs of any changes there so far, not even the same immediate regrowth of small hairs that I think may have happened in the arm scar that I've been talking about.

But it must be noted that even the best methods of helping MPB hair loss generally take at least a couple months before anything visible happens. Obviously there is no point in trying to declare success or failure in this area yet.

MemberMember
(@scarcrash)

Posted : 12/02/2009 9:21 am

I have also been applying lugols to an area of thinning scap hair (regular male pattern baldness problems) off and on for the same few weeks.

I too am dealing with both acne scars and male pattern baldness, Lac.

Man, we got the double whammy, didn't we?

MemberMember
(@neca)

Posted : 12/02/2009 2:35 pm

Despite being incredibly sceptical about this treatment, has anyone thought about excising a small area of scar tissue on a part of the face and then applying the Iodine for a minimum period of 1-2 months to ONE section of this excised area whilst leaving the other section without any Iodine application. After the 1-2months of healing is up you can then compare the two areas of excised scar tissue. If the area where Iodine has been applied shows less scar tissue present when compared to the excised area that had no Iodine applied then the chemical would seem to be working to a certain extent.

This would be a much faster method of assessing whether Iodine is effective at preventing/reducing scar tissue formation. Evidence of scar tissue formation is usually visible after about 2 months of deep wounding. Applying the chemical to already present scar tissue is unlikely to do anything at all in the short-run as scar tissue is so deeply embedded and strong.

Worth a try.

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 12/02/2009 7:26 pm

what plastic is used to cover iodine? in which thickness and of which type?

MemberMember
(@sheelag)

Posted : 12/03/2009 8:22 pm

It is not necessary for you to see hypermeia or redness. There is no set appearance for

for regeneration. If you apply daily iodine and see nothing it is still going on. If you were to photograph it at maximum magnification you would see some of the changes posted in Thyroid Science the online journal. There are 22 pictures there.

To access it google Thyroid Science Then look under Case Reports. There are two articles there under Derry with pictures and more detailed descriptions.

These pictures are at about 10 time mangnifcation so that changes are more obivous. But to the naked eye when no plastic is used there is not much to see but the process is still going forward.

D

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 12/03/2009 10:18 pm

but so that there are but photos of other no cases? I see east I document and she makes decide the one me regeneration of scars with ' topiramat' it was like this a pair of cases that I am but later the boys of this forum chek and I am not in anything, but of the same,

nothing worksa

MemberMember
(@flamshun)

Posted : 12/04/2009 4:58 am

Sounds promising to me. Betadine possess antiseptic property which has been used to kill both good and bad bacteria/cells; thus, in theory, prolong use of betadine on scar tissue may breakdown the fibrous tissue. This may consequently stimulate natural body healing response just like those treated with TCA or other form of acids (but in slower and less invasive way).

Wonder if betadine in cream or lotion form would work better than in liquid form, since it would stay in contact with the skin for longer period of time without evaporating off into the air.

MemberMember
(@seabs135)

Posted : 12/04/2009 11:00 am

what plastic is used to cover iodine? in which thickness and of which

A glad type plastic wrap is what I'm personally using.

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 12/04/2009 11:12 am

but so that there are but photos of other no cases? I see east I document and she makes decide the one me regeneration of scars with ' topiramat' it was like this a pair of cases that I am but later the boys of this forum chek and I am not in anything, but of the same,

nothing works

the above doesnt make sense buddy - try rewording it.

Lol...I concur....What??!!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/05/2009 10:14 am

hey all,

hope you're all going well with your iodine! I have a few points to make, which vaguely relates to this topic. I think i should post it here, since I'm sure people in the other forums will have no clue what I'm going on about 🙂

About a month ago, I tca crossed a scar on my nose right between my eyes (i was silly enough to pick it when i was younger). Anyhoo its still there but not as deep now. I noticed today that there is a small blonde hair growing out of the middle of it. Hardly noticeable but heard its a sign that maybe its regenerating itself. Since iodine is supposed to do it too. Wooah ! Fingers crossed it is regeneration.

I'm still waiting for my iodine. The Christmas rush is slowing down the post a little bit. I'm still looking forward to it arriving though.

i did numerous tca peels on my scars and not a single bit of improvement. i know literally dozens of others who say the same. from my understanding and extensive research peels cannot help scars, they are just too deep. if the peels did manage to get deep enough and reach the dermis, they would do far more harm than good.

just my 2 cents, if its working for you then fantastic.

MemberMember
(@tj101)

Posted : 12/05/2009 11:08 pm

Has anyone had any breakouts from applying iodine topically?

Iodine taken internally can cause breakouts, no iodized salt for me, or else I start breaking out.

So I'm wondering if topical application can have the same effects.

MemberMember
(@changelife)

Posted : 12/06/2009 7:14 am

Hi,

no breakouts for me in contrary I think topical iodine may be good for acne problems, because it possess antibacterial properties. But also to much iodine is not good for health generally. No difference in the appearance of the scars (use it since 5 weeks->too early to judge).

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/06/2009 9:28 am

little update,

used lugols for about 5 days and didnt see a thing. ofcourse i wasnt expecting much but i was expecting something, even the smallest hint that it was working. it is said that after a couple of days you should see something but i didnt. because i didnt see anything i became lazy and missed a few days, then did the odd application, then missed a few days then did the odd application etc etc.

then i started to see the mildest form of dry skin in a small area. it was extremely mild, barely anything, but there was definitely some dryness. so i thought well it must be doing something at least. also i had heard from someone that they were putting LOTS of lugols on, multiple applications. i was just putting one fairly thin layer on, so i thought maybe this is the reason im not seeing anything - the layer of lugols is just too thin. so i started applying the lugols again everynight before i went to bed and instead of just applying it once, i thought id apply it twice. so i poured the lugols onto a cotton wool ball, wiped it all over my stretchmarks, then waited a minute, then got another cotton wool ball and did the same thing again.

its been about a week now since i started applying the stuff daily again. im having a rather strange reaction to it. im applying lugols to my stretchmarks and its over a fairly large area. the majority of the area nothing is happening at all. no dryness, no stinging, not a single thing, it just looks like and feels like im applying yellow water to it. but the strange thing is, a small portion of the area where im applying lugols has become extremely dry, red, and sore. this small area has become so dry that it has peeled. the area is still very dry and has become hard and leathery, a little bit like when doing a tca peel. its so confusing.

i really dont understand whats going on. im trying to apply the lugols as evenly as possible yet the majority of the area isnt doing a thing, yet a small part of that area is having a pretty extreme reaction. i dont know whether this is down to uneven appliction but like i said im trying to apply it as evenly as i can. its so hard and confusing because ive got nothing to compare this to. im effectively the guinea pig. there are no guide lines, no one to ask for advice or help, nothing to base your reactions on. so i have absolutely no idea whether this is good or bad. i dont know whether to be encouraged or worried. on one hand im encouraged because i feel like something is happening, but on the other im worried because im not sure if this should be happening or whether it is having a negative effect.

so is this a good thing?

why is it only happening to a small area? uneven application? but im as even as i can be.

do i carry on? the area looks very sore and is sore to touch. stings alot when lugols is applied.

do i stop and give the area a rest? i dont want to do more harm than good.

so there you go, ive given a pretty detailed update and its taken me a fair while to write. i hope some of you can help me out and give me a little advice.

your thoughts and opinions would be extremely appreciated as im at a loss at the moment for what to do next.

thanks

MemberMember
(@rosep)

Posted : 12/06/2009 8:30 pm

Research from 1932???? Really?? '32?? You guys have got to be kidding!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/07/2009 8:19 pm

Research from 1932???? Really?? '32?? You guys have got to be kidding!

1) what are you talking about?

2) you might want to read the thread first and medical papers before making silly comments

3) whats your problem?