Notifications
Clear all

Stem Cells for Acne Scar Repair (SCIENCE FACT, not science fiction!)

MemberMember
(@ouioui)

Posted : 01/17/2009 12:37 pm

This post should give many here more than hope. It's spelling out what's to come.

BRD, you hit the nail on the head when you said " sometimes an extension of religious perspectives " in regards to why certain countries haven't advanced in the area of stem cell research.

America has just gone through one of the worst periods in our history under the fascist leadership of Bush/Cheney, along with their christofascist supporters. We lived through a period where, pharmacutical companies, conspired with government officials as well as physicians themselves to drain the wallets of average citizens. Ignorance reigned king here for eight long years.

Within days we will be heading in a totally new direction under president Barack Obama. With it, will come advances in many areas where we have fallen behind.

The information you listed here is very promising. I look forward to hearing more about it.

yes, the savior's going to fix all that

MemberMember
(@v_singh)

Posted : 01/17/2009 2:24 pm

thanks fro the reply BRD, i have one more question lol ... is this some kind of filler that reduces the appearance of the scars or does it actually heal the skin so that there is no scar tissue left ?

MemberMember
(@bulgarian-r)

Posted : 01/18/2009 7:16 pm

Hello...

I know this techique has been research a few years ago for burns and scars...

The pioneer in this research is Marco Clinger from university of Milano and Humanitas Institute,Italy.

(Not so far from you BD)

They have reached very good results as regards burns and face scars.

(I have read this in a topical newspaper end of 2006..)

You could search on google for more information.

Perhaps they now use officially this method to treat patients.

BD,could you contact Marco Clinger to ask about their procedure?

Thanks in advance...

Hi,

I searched for Marco Clinger but couldn't find any information on him. If I could find him I would be more than happy to contact him. Do you have an internet link that would point me in the right direction?

Cheers...

MemberMember
(@bulgarian-r)

Posted : 01/18/2009 8:21 pm

so the scar doesnt have to be removed like dermabrasion or laser for the stem cells to work andregenarate new skin, or do you have to remove it somehow and then apply the stem cells?

The hypotrophic scar does not have to be removed. The stem cells are injected beneath the depression where they initiate a complex chain reaction that involves anything from differentiation to GF/IL production that contributes to better collagen production, angiogenesis and even some fibrotic tissue remodelling. This is what the various animal and human based studies are telling us. The process is not fully understood, but the results have been very encouraging, whether it be for treating internal and/or external organs.

The technology will become even more potent when we start using autologous pluripotent stem cells. That however is a topic for another time.

MemberMember
(@bulgarian-r)

Posted : 01/18/2009 9:17 pm

thanks fro the reply BRD, i have one more question lol ... is this some kind of filler that reduces the appearance of the scars or does it actually heal the skin so that there is no scar tissue left ?

It's a filler in the sense that it is injected into areas of the skin that are tissue deficient. However its does much more than a synthetic filler ever could. For more information, check out the explanation I posted above.

MemberMember
(@drewboy)

Posted : 01/18/2009 10:56 pm

Hey Bulgarian Doctor,

As a long time member of this board, I want to thankyou for all of your positive and insightful posts. Question for you being the intelligent man that you are

I read online about a lady who had severe damage to her windpipe form smoking, eating unhealthy, just living a rudimentary lifestyle. Doctors gathered stem cells from her bone marrow and were able to re-create a brand new windpipe, basically a new organ in itself. They surgically removed the old windpipe and inserted the new one and she was good to go. No pills to make sure her body accepts the donor, no trouble walking up stairs, shes able to walk long distances without getting winded ect.

I hear about how we will be able to grow hearts, lungs, kidneys, livers with the aid of stem cells. Do you think with all this exciting new technology, we will be able to extend life ten fold? When you have a bad heart, replace it. When you have liver disease, replace it. As with any of these organs, skins no different, its an organ as well, replace the damaged parts such as wrinkles, scars etc.

My question to you is, in say 10 years time, do you think we will have found the fountain of youth?

MemberMember
(@deadliest-catch)

Posted : 01/18/2009 11:42 pm

fountain of youth haha idk i think thats stretching it. if so we will not die haha. live forever.

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 01/19/2009 1:52 am

The hypotrophic scar does not have to be removed. The stem cells are injected beneath the depression where they initiate a complex chain reaction that involves anything from differentiation to GF/IL production that contributes to better collagen production, angiogenesis and even some fibrotic tissue remodelling.

This sounds like it would help hairloss sufferers too. Are you aware of any clinics that use stem cells for treating hairloss?

MemberMember
(@drewboy)

Posted : 01/19/2009 2:35 am

JKSL, yes Hairloss has 'almost' been cured by stem cell research. A problem is trying to get the hair to grow the right way at the moment. Also they are currently able to take a single follicle of hair, reproduce it a thousand times over using stem cells, and place it in the head via punch excision.

Look up the FUE technique, VERY PROMISING form of hair transplantation. Only thing is they have to remove the follicles from the back of your head individually, with stem cells they can reproduce the hair with only the removal of 1 strand, so that means no scars or downtime, other then placing on top of your head. This is also great for those who dont have enough donor hair on the back of their head for transplantation. Those guys usually use body hair.

Check out Dr. Armani and his Fue transplantation results. He will give you a hairline like a movie star if you request it, and itll never fall out.

MemberMember
(@madadam)

Posted : 01/19/2009 5:53 am

drewboy, I thought the stem cell thing for hair is not going too well? With clinical trials and all wouldn't it take more than 10 years at least and things must go right for this to even happen. I am talking about hair cloning by the way. I assume that is also what you mean.

BG, is there a treatment where blood is taken from the patient and centrifuged to separate the plasma from the cells and this is injected to the face and overall skin quality and scars are improved. What is this treatment called and does it work? Thanks for your insight. BTW, your skin looks great.

MemberMember
(@zupelman)

Posted : 01/19/2009 10:05 am

Hi,

I searched for Marco Clinger but couldn't find any information on him. If I could find him I would be more than happy to contact him. Do you have an internet link that would point me in the right direction?

Cheers...

MemberMember
(@v_singh)

Posted : 01/19/2009 12:48 pm

Hey Bulgarian Doctor,

As a long time member of this board, I want to thankyou for all of your positive and insightful posts. Question for you being the intelligent man that you are

I read online about a lady who had severe damage to her windpipe form smoking, eating unhealthy, just living a rudimentary lifestyle. Doctors gathered stem cells from her bone marrow and were able to re-create a brand new windpipe, basically a new organ in itself. They surgically removed the old windpipe and inserted the new one and she was good to go. No pills to make sure her body accepts the donor, no trouble walking up stairs, shes able to walk long distances without getting winded ect.

I hear about how we will be able to grow hearts, lungs, kidneys, livers with the aid of stem cells. Do you think with all this exciting new technology, we will be able to extend life ten fold? When you have a bad heart, replace it. When you have liver disease, replace it. As with any of these organs, skins no different, its an organ as well, replace the damaged parts such as wrinkles, scars etc.

My question to you is, in say 10 years time, do you think we will have found the fountain of youth?

Have you seen the Documenatary '2057'. they bascally say that those things you mentioned (grow new heart etc) would be possible in the year 2057

watch the documneatry if you can ...really interesting

MemberMember
(@drewboy)

Posted : 01/19/2009 1:03 pm

Have you seen the Documenatary '2057'. they bascally say that those things you mentioned (grow new heart etc) would be possible in the year 2057

watch the documneatry if you can ...really interesting

Honestly, I think it will be a lot sooner then that, look at what we are already doing today with stem cells. Look at what we've been able to achieve from the year 1998 to 2008. Medical science has increased greatly, not to mention overall technology (look at computers, harddrives etc. In 98 it was unfathomable to have a 60 gig hardrive that can fit in a small hand held device like the IPOD.)

10 years time, if even that, we could see stem cells being the norm. Oh and yes I will watch the documentary.

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 01/19/2009 1:16 pm

JKSL, yes Hairloss has 'almost' been cured by stem cell research. A problem is trying to get the hair to grow the right way at the moment.

Thanks for the reply.. Although, i pretty much already know the rest of what you wrote. I'm not interested in punching strands of reproduced hair into my scalp. I'm interested in injections of stem cells, much like in the way it is described for repairing acne scars.

My question to the doctor was whether or not there are clinics out there (I mean, out there anywhere in the world) right now that are offering stem cell therapy to treat hairloss.

MemberMember
(@bulgarian-r)

Posted : 01/20/2009 8:37 pm

Hey Bulgarian Doctor,

Hey Drewboy,

Thanks for the nice words.

I remember the case about the lady having her windpipe replaced with one grown from stem cells. I believe the procedure was done in Spain, where a team of doctors decided to use an extracellular matrix as a scaffold material for cultured stem cells. These cells basically grew into the ECM, taking cues from a variety of imbedded signal pathways present within the material that helped guide their differentiation and collectively shape their organization into the target organ. Prior to this they likely cultured the cells with specific growth factors in order to essentially stimulate them to function like the cells present in windpipe tissue.

It's a multistep process that while innovative still doesn't allow us to grow a complex organ such as a liver, kidney, heart, etc... However I am a certain that within 10 years we will be able to grow complex tissue types utilizing stem cells, genetic engineering and a myriad of technologies that are just starting to grow from the fertile soil of the regenerative medicine field. In perhaps another 20 years we may very well be able to replace our organs with decent copies of the original. 30 years from now these copies may be just as good as what we were born with and a half century in the future they may even be better than what mother nature gave us in the first place. But hey, I have no doubt that it could happen much faster than this.

I feel that the most promising technology of the future will be based on efficient and exceptionally advanced genetic engineering know-how. I fully believe that we will decode the mechanisms that allow animals such as salamanders to regenerate complex tissues/organs and utilize this knowledge to stimulate our own genes to direct our cells in a similar fashion. It's a well know fact that our genetic code contains all the information necessary for regeneration. After all, we were all once foetuses that grew from one totipotent cell into a fully functional multicellular human in a few months time. On top of this, foetal experiments have shown us that if you say cut a finger of a first trimester foetus, it will grow back without a scar. The question many researchers are asking themselves is how do we trick our genes into "powering up" this innate regenerative program within our adult bodies.

"Lost an arm? Grow one back! You have a bad liver? Go to your local genetic treatment clinic and get them to program your body to regenerate it in 3 weeks flat!"

I don't know the future year when this conversation is played out, but it's going to happen... And yes, I do think that we will be able to extend our lifespans to the point where death may become optional. Some researchers think we're near understanding the mechanisms that control aging, and others feel it's quite a ways away. Check out the World Transhumanist Association which aims at fostering the technological development that brings about immortality. Many distinguished scientists are WTA members so it's not as wacky as some might imagine upon initial reflection.

All in all, I think the regenerative medicine biotech sector is about to takeoff much like the personal computer industry took off in the 1980s. From here on in, the leaps and bounds of progressive development will come faster and faster.

All the best,

BRD

The hypotrophic scar does not have to be removed. The stem cells are injected beneath the depression where they initiate a complex chain reaction that involves anything from differentiation to GF/IL production that contributes to better collagen production, angiogenesis and even some fibrotic tissue remodelling.

This sounds like it would help hairloss sufferers too. Are you aware of any clinics that use stem cells for treating hairloss?

I know there are research teams looking to use stem cells to stimulate normal hair growth. I don't know how far along they've come as this is not my area of specialization, but I'll look into this and get back to you.

MemberMember
(@hoursafter)

Posted : 01/20/2009 10:18 pm

I guess I would still like to get some hard evidence of this. Links to studies or actual practitioners. I want accessibility!

That's what's annoying about the medical community, it's so hard to get/find the services even if you have the money.

MemberMember
(@deadliest-catch)

Posted : 01/20/2009 11:34 pm

what i dont get is why non of these reports are ever on the news. if regenerative medicine could be the holy grail then why isnt it talked about more? this should be the new breakthough of are lifetime and i wish people would realize this.

MemberMember
(@v_singh)

Posted : 01/21/2009 2:36 pm

so if this is a like a filler does that mean it only works on scars that 'dissapear' when the surrounding skin is stretched. What about ice pick scars ... would it work on those, and what about large pores ?

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 01/21/2009 3:58 pm

so if this is a like a filler does that mean it only works on scars that 'dissapear' when the surrounding skin is stretched. What about ice pick scars ... would it work on those, and what about large pores ?

This isn't like a filler. Where did you get that idea?

MemberMember
(@zupelman)

Posted : 01/21/2009 5:25 pm

Very interesting...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/stellam...the-future.html

MemberMember
(@bulgarian-r)

Posted : 01/21/2009 7:09 pm

It is an intersting article, although it is inaccurate in some important respects.

The article needs to be corrected with regard to statements about whether stem cells reside in the area of injection, and whether they can be properly isolated... To make it clear to everyone here, stem cells do indeed take up residence in the area of injection and they do indeed rebuild tissue through differentiation, factor secretion and fibroblast stimulation. Perhaps Mr. Pincelli and the journalist, that I dare say didn't do her homework, should read some of the following information.

Here's a peer reviewed study on adipose derived mesenchymal stem cells (ADSC) injections:

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pi...923181108002533

Here's a peer reviewed study on dermal injections of bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/h78224j6k37j55x6/

http://www.curehunter.com/public/pubmed17269443.do

Here's some info from the Seishin Regenerative Medicine Centre in Japan, where they use the Celution technology to (a) extract stem cells and (b) reinject them into the dermis in order to rebuild dermal deficits such as wrinkles.

http://www.saisei-iryou.com/english/cellantiaging/

Stem cell isolation (from adipose tissue and/or bone marrow) information:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...433337adfabc695

http://circres.ahajournals.org/cgi/content...ract/100/9/1249

http://www.springerlink.com/content/pg47k78581034778/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16761717

Here's some more material that discusses adult stem cells and their ability to regenerate tissues:

http://www.ces.clemson.edu/bio/documents/P...ials%202006.pdf

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80825092341.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/...50804123045.htm

Anyone here can also do some personal research into stem cell injections for heart disease, especially in relation to patients who have significant scar tissue present in their heart muscle... Some of these studies discuss the tissue remodelling capabilities of mesenchymal and hematopoetic stem cells, which are thought to have contributed to better heart function after the said treatments. The list of studies is nearly endless, so there is plenty of information for people to educate themselves rather than rely on the inaccurate information relayed by journalists trying to make a name for themselves.

MemberMember
(@deadliest-catch)

Posted : 01/21/2009 7:34 pm

from what it seems like is that we have the technology to do this right now but we arent doing any yet. there isnt any things going on right now which is annoying

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 01/21/2009 7:43 pm

from what it seems like is that we have the technology to do this right now but we arent doing any yet.

You mean, nothing is being done on this side of the planet, while the other side is moving ahead and embracing new technologies and ideas.

It's not like you're restricted to these treatments though. You just need to purchase a plane ticket, make sure you have enough money for the treatments, and fly over there (to Russia, East Asia, Eastern Europe, or wherever else these clinics are).

MemberMember
(@deadliest-catch)

Posted : 01/21/2009 9:41 pm

from what it seems like is that we have the technology to do this right now but we arent doing any yet.

You mean, nothing is being done on this side of the planet, while the other side is moving ahead and embracing new technologies and ideas.

It's not like you're restricted to these treatments though. You just need to purchase a plane ticket, make sure you have enough money for the treatments, and fly over there (to Russia, East Asia, Eastern Europe, or wherever else these clinics are).

sounds like a good idea. but why in hell are these amazing break thoughs in russia, east asia and no one is reported it on the news.

MemberMember
(@drexel)

Posted : 01/21/2009 11:20 pm

Well it looks like Obama may be trying to reverse the ban of government funding on stem cell research. Hopefully, we will see big strides in this area in the states.