Notifications
Clear all

applied 2% Hydroquinone on scar, redness occurred

MemberMember
(@vaultwit)

Posted : 01/16/2009 2:07 pm

i tried using a product called Scarlight MD which contains 2% Hydroquinone.

i used the product for about a week and a half and it has gained redness. it has been about 3 days since i stopped using the product, and its still red.

how long does it take for that redness to go away? is there chance that the redness is permanent?

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 01/16/2009 9:18 pm

i tried using a product called Scarlight MD which contains 2% Hydroquinone.

i used the product for about a week and a half and it has gained redness. it has been about 3 days since i stopped using the product, and its still red.

how long does it take for that redness to go away? is there chance that the redness is permanent?

From what I understand, hydroquinone is for preventing hyper/hypo-pigmentation, not correcting it. I don't think it will work on scars that are already there. People normally apply it pre-laser treatments.

MemberMember
(@crzyakta)

Posted : 01/16/2009 9:32 pm

HQ damages elastin and collagen as well, and can have mutation properties on cells

MemberMember
(@vaultwit)

Posted : 01/16/2009 10:35 pm

but my question is if that redness will go away. i already know what hydroquinone is...

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 01/17/2009 12:05 am

If you weren't diligent with sunscreen - no matter how strong the sun may be - it may be sunburned. I applied a Hydroquinone product to several areas on my face at one point, then went out into the sun wearing my regular foundation. Probably had an spf of 15 or so. Every dot I had applied it to was dramatically more red by the end of the day. The results lasted around 2 weeks.

I would never use a hydroquinone product again knowing what I know now. Perhaps try a zinc oxide ointment. It's very soothing and excellent for removing redness. Walmart carries a variety in the first aid aisle that consists of only petroleum and 20% zinc oxide.

MemberMember
(@vaultwit)

Posted : 01/17/2009 12:39 am

If you weren't diligent with sunscreen - no matter how strong the sun may be - it may be sunburned. I applied a Hydroquinone product to several areas on my face at one point, then went out into the sun wearing my regular foundation. Probably had an spf of 15 or so. Every dot I had applied it to was dramatically more red by the end of the day. The results lasted around 2 weeks.

I would never use a hydroquinone product again knowing what I know now. Perhaps try a zinc oxide ointment. It's very soothing and excellent for removing redness. Walmart carries a variety in the first aid aisle that consists of only petroleum and 20% zinc oxide.

So what you're saying is that the redness on my skin IS temporary and WILL go away, correct? And in your case, it took 2 weeks right?

MemberMember
(@paquita)

Posted : 01/18/2009 9:12 am

It will go away if the redness comes from the hydroquinone. How long? I don't know, it depends on your skin, days, weeks. Avoid the sun, apply strong sunscreens and moisturize so you can heal faster.

If you got redness with 2% you probably used too much or you rubbed your face, stayed in the sun for too long or all of the above.

If it makes you feel better I have used solutions as strong as 8% and 13% without a problem. These strong solutions will cause redness and peeling. My mother used it to eliminate sun blemishes she had for years. They are gone now. Of course there is no way you will get those creams, I get them from a lab in South America.

I used to use hydroquinone about 15-20 years on a regular basis during my teen years, but only 3% and 5%.

I'm concerned about the hydroquinone safety though, but so far so good. I rarely go in the sun though and when I do I used at least 45 SPF and reapply as often as possible. I just think the sun is more damaging than some of creams out there.

Hydroquinone works for blemishes, not for scars. I don't want to have an argument with anybody about the type of blemishes it removes. I had that in the past in this board. I think after 20 years of knowing the product I would know.

MemberMember
(@katysita)

Posted : 06/16/2014 12:42 pm

Hy dear. someting similar happened to me. I applied hydroquinone and the spots were applied turned very red amost like brownish. Di your redness ever go away?? Dind u do something to help?? Thanks a lot