Notifications
Clear all

Ok guys...

MemberMember
(@dwainpipe)

Posted : 05/19/2009 2:23 pm

hey lammar would you agree that applying topical before and maybe during dermarolling is a good idea as those topicals are absorbed deeper into the skin? I've done this once (as opposed to rolling without topical throughout) whilst using a 2.0mm roller with terproline and have found the results so far are very good!

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/19/2009 5:15 pm

I just want to ask you simply; if the technique you have been using would work on body acne scars as well? Like LED light, self dermarolling etc. or would it make it worse (with making them larger) as I mentioned above?

Also from your experiences with Dr. Chu. Do you have any tips to tell me, things like you wish you did before or after the session. As I take this a turning point of my fight with scars, I want to be fully prepared.

Thanks for spending your time to help others Hope you have time to answer my question.

I think dermaroller on body acne scars will work just as well as the face....over time anyway. The thing with the chest and back is the skin is thicker so the damage may be deeper. But yes i think it is good to use all the same topicals and LEDS as people are using for the face.

You would probably do better with the longer needles. You may also need intradermal anesthetic as apposed to topical EMLA. The skin is much thicker on the back and chest and won't allow as much of the EMLA to absorb.

Hmm as for tips, if you haven't had an appointment yet make sure you let them know you want dermaroller done on the day. Perhaps take a pain killer a few hours in advance then again an hour before hand. Keep some ice packs on hand for after the procedure, use them for the first 30 mins post surgery or so.

MemberMember
(@pumpkin21)

Posted : 05/19/2009 5:17 pm

lamaar could you please shed light (no pun intended) as to what is best light in helping discolouraions, hyperpigmentation?

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/19/2009 5:17 pm

hey lammar would you agree that applying topical before and maybe during dermarolling is a good idea as those topicals are absorbed deeper into the skin? I've done this once (as opposed to rolling without topical throughout) whilst using a 2.0mm roller with terproline and have found the results so far are very good!

I am sure it helps, but as far as i can see i don't see how it drastically helps? The substance that absorbs is still only going to be in the skin for a matter of hours before it is fully absorbed into the blood stream. The benefits CAN'T be that considerible with just a once off application before or after dermaroller. I can see how the daily rollers will help with absorbtion daily, but i don't really recommend these because i feel they can potentially interupt the collagen placement.

MemberMember
(@newtrix)

Posted : 05/19/2009 6:25 pm

I can't seem to find the original post now but someone was talking about raised scars...just thought i'd mention that I had a keloid body scar from an animal scratch. So far I've used a dermaroller 2.5 mm on it twice now and it's almost gone.

Also noticed that my link to that site for topicals was removed due to violation of board rules...if people don't have the money to invest in vitamin c/a topicals just send me an email for the url.

MemberMember
(@evolution)

Posted : 05/19/2009 6:51 pm

Hmm as for tips, if you haven't had an appointment yet make sure you let them know you want dermaroller done on the day. Perhaps take a pain killer a few hours in advance then again an hour before hand. Keep some ice packs on hand for after the procedure, use them for the first 30 mins post surgery or so.

Thanks for the info lamarr.

On the appointment paper they gave me its written that i'll have dermaroller done by Dr. Chu. It ll be done at Hammersmith Hospital, so i hope they have ice there for after the operation.

Ok.. it's now 15 hours left. Let's see what happens...

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/19/2009 7:38 pm

he will use a icepack/gel block for icing but i was suggesting you take an extra icepack for the journy!!

MemberMember
(@brokeninside)

Posted : 05/20/2009 11:38 am

I had my dermaroller done from Dr Chu today. Wow, very painful!

My next appointment is towards the end of September, im a bit worried...isn't that a bit too long?

For those of you that use the terproline cream, you just use it twice a day?

When it comes to sunscreen can i put it on now or shall i wait till tmrw...i dont want to irritate my skin...so shall i wait?

I didnt really get to ask Dr.Chu many questions, as he was really busy today.

So, thanks for any help x x

MemberMember
(@evolution)

Posted : 05/20/2009 1:47 pm

My next appointment is towards the end of September, im a bit worried...isn't that a bit too long?

When it comes to sunscreen can i put it on now or shall i wait till tmrw...i dont want to irritate my skin...so shall i wait?

Hi buddy.

I had my dermaroller while you were sending this messege 🙂 i just got home. Yes it was painfull but not unbearable. Didn't take long anyway.

My question is.. Dr. Chu didn't appl any terproline or any other cream to help collagen production? I asked him if i need to apply any cream and he said no. He told me not to use anything until the next session, which is after 3 months. I'd like to believe that but i don't think having dermaroller done every 3 months will be enough to fade scars. But on the other hend, it is the Doc. who says that. Why he didn't mention about terproline if it helps? i didn't get it.

MemberMember
(@sixfeetunder)

Posted : 05/20/2009 2:06 pm

Thanks for this thread. I'm sure it has given a lot of people, like myself, a little hope at least that something can be done.

I'm unable to order the necessaries online at the moment but when I can I'll be happy to keep the board updated with my (hopeful) progress. I have scars covering the majority of my face - lots of small ice picks on my cheeks, rolling scars underneath those and also to the sides of my face, raised scarring on the sides of my chin and generally bad texture, tone and enlarged/scarred pores everywhere else. I would be thrilled to achieve some improvement, however little.

To those who have been seeing Dr Chu for dermarolling... I hope you get some good results from it. I have an appointment to see him in just over a months time and I'm hoping to have dermarolling carried out by him as well. By then I hope to have ordered the LEDs and I'm already taking high doses of vitamin C and will aim to improve my diet/vitamin intake further too. Even if I see no major improvements in the long run, knowing that I'm at least going to be doing something about my scars has lifted my mood somewhat. It would be great if you could continue to keep us updated on your own progress. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@serenity12)

Posted : 05/20/2009 3:28 pm

hi lamarr, do you know if the light therapy will help hyperpigmentation? it seems to me that all your scars were indents. 90% of my scars are dark spots that are taking very long to fade.

MemberMember
(@pumpkin21)

Posted : 05/20/2009 5:37 pm

hi lamarr, do you know if the light therapy will help hyperpigmentation? it seems to me that all your scars were indents. 90% of my scars are dark spots that are taking very long to fade.

i have same issue and would like to know best light to use for hyperpigmentation

MemberMember
(@brokeninside)

Posted : 05/20/2009 5:52 pm

Hi buddy.

I had my dermaroller while you were sending this messege 🙂 i just got home. Yes it was painfull but not unbearable. Didn't take long anyway.

My question is.. Dr. Chu didn't appl any terproline or any other cream to help collagen production? I asked him if i need to apply any cream and he said no. He told me not to use anything until the next session, which is after 3 months. I'd like to believe that but i don't think having dermaroller done every 3 months will be enough to fade scars. But on the other hend, it is the Doc. who says that. Why he didn't mention about terproline if it helps? i didn't get it.

Hi, i hope your dermaroller session went well. Yeh, its mainly the numbing cream that takes longest time but my actual rolling session was about 5 mins.

I agree im really worried that my next session is over 3 months away, right at the end of Sept! I'm hoping lamarr86 reads the thread soonish and he could tell us the length of time between his treatments.

I found out about terproline through this board, so im taking the advice of those on this forum about the cream, they said it helps them.

Also, i guess its the use of the LED lights that may help more then the cream...

Sixfeetunder - good luck for your appointment next month, when i went for my appointment today, all the nurses were saying that the results with dermaroller are very good and it has a high success rate. So, that made me really happy and hope it will give you more confidence that you can have your scars treated as well.

What LEDs did you order? Im a bit unsure of which ones to order...

Thanks

MemberMember
(@sam)

Posted : 05/20/2009 6:21 pm

Whats the name of the vitamin C serum u use lamarr1986 and what PH as it?

MemberMember
(@raiderdood)

Posted : 05/20/2009 6:26 pm

hey lamar, so this treatment should definitely not be done on accutane or few months following accutane correct? do you have any advice for accutane users?

MemberMember
(@evolution)

Posted : 05/20/2009 7:52 pm

Hi, i hope your dermaroller session went well. Yeh, its mainly the numbing cream that takes longest time but my actual rolling session was about 5 mins.

I agree im really worried that my next session is over 3 months away, right at the end of Sept! I'm hoping lamarr86 reads the thread soonish and he could tell us the length of time between his treatments.

I found out about terproline through this board, so im taking the advice of those on this forum about the cream, they said it helps them.

Also, i guess its the use of the LED lights that may help more then the cream...

Sixfeetunder - good luck for your appointment next month, when i went for my appointment today, all the nurses were saying that the results with dermaroller are very good and it has a high success rate. So, that made me really happy and hope it will give you more confidence that you can have your scars treated as well.

What LEDs did you order? Im a bit unsure of which ones to order...

Thanks

After searching a cure for scars for many years, My expectations are never very high 🙂 But as you said the nurses that i asked mentioned really good results. One said he couldn't recognise a patient after 1,5 year dermarolling treatment, who had a severe acne and scars all over his face and body.

I have scars on my chest, shoulders and back, none on my face. Dr. Chu told me i still have active acne so he won't be able to do it until i get rid off acne first. He rolled the parts with no acne on my chest.

As Dr Chu is the bussiest skin doc.

Waiting time between sessions are very long and i never had the chance to sit down and have a chat about my skin condition and the solutions to cure my active acne, diet, topicals etc.. with the Doc.

I am now searching for a private clinic which does the dermarolling. I actually found a list of them now and will call tomorrow to get their prices.

MemberMember
(@brokeninside)

Posted : 05/21/2009 3:23 am

^^I just have a feeling private clinics may overcharge...but good luck, hope you find what you need.

I think the best thing to is take the advice of people who have had the treatment. Increase your vitamin C intake and obviously stuff like no smoking, don't drink too much alcohol..just try and generally have a good diet.

I'm a bit confused as to which topicals to use, i don't want to overlaod my face with stuff. So at the moment i'm just using a high sunscreen and i have ordered my terproline cream...so thats really all ill be using.

One of the nurses mentioned that the simple range is good. Just a really gentle cleanser, nothing too harsh. She said lots of the derms recommended the simple range.

MemberMember
(@evolution)

Posted : 05/21/2009 9:40 am

^^I just have a feeling private clinics may overcharge...

I phoned 3 of them so far.. OMG! You can't believe the prices they gave me

lamarr; if you can successfully dermaroll yourself then you can dermaroll us too. And i bet you'd do a better job then those clinics. You should open a clinic and get rich in a year

MemberMember
(@sam)

Posted : 05/21/2009 9:49 am

Which vitamin C serum do u use lamarr1986 and what PH is it?

MemberMember
(@smallwonder69)

Posted : 05/21/2009 12:09 pm

Good powerpoint on needling. Check it out:

http://www.karinskorner.net/skin-needling.pdf

MemberMember
(@changelife)

Posted : 05/22/2009 3:51 am

Hello,

I needled one relatively shallow scar last saturday to test the response of my skin. I picked my scar several times with a 0.2mm lancet approximately 1.5mm deep till blood came out. After the needling

I used the LED's as Lamarr advised and one time per day. The scar had a purple color for 4 days.

Unfortunately I do not see any improvement. So my question to youse: Is it possible that the scar can

improve the next time? By the way: I didn't have any swelling after the needling and I also use terproline . Thanks for yours advise.

MemberMember
(@bassofalleytripyahoo-com)

Posted : 05/22/2009 8:09 am

Hello,

I needled one relatively shallow scar last saturday to test the response of my skin. I picked my scar several times with a 0.2mm lancet approximately 1.5mm deep till blood came out. After the needling

I used the LED's as Lamarr advised and one time per day. The scar had a purple color for 4 days.

Unfortunately I do not see any improvement. So my question to youse: Is it possible that the scar can

improve the next time? By the way: I didn't have any swelling after the needling and I also use terproline . Thanks for yours advise.

Keep in mind it can take up to a year before collagen is fully established in these wounds. I don't think anyone has seen improvements in as little as 4 days, but I may be wrong. I'd say give it time.

Good powerpoint on needling. Check it out:

http://www.karinskorner.net/skin-needling.pdf

Excellent information, thank you for sharing that :).

MemberMember
(@changelife)

Posted : 05/22/2009 1:40 pm

Keep in mind it can take up to a year before collagen is fully established in these wounds. I don't think anyone has seen improvements in as little as 4 days, but I may be wrong. I'd say give it time.

I think you are right, but I expected some microswelling , which would give the skin an better appearance. Too bad, now my scar looks rather worse, because it still pitted and in addition red colored. Is the absence of the swelling normal? Thanks

MemberMember
(@bassofalleytripyahoo-com)

Posted : 05/22/2009 1:49 pm

I think you are right, but I expected some microswelling , which would give the skin an better appearance. Too bad, now my scar looks rather worse, because it still pitted and in addition red colored. Is the absence of the swelling normal? Thanks

Inflammation is the first step of the healing process - it should swell up, and eventually go back down after a few days. (Inflammation, tissue regeneration aka proliferation, then tissue remodeling). <-- taken from the karenskorner powerpoint.

Multiple posters in this thread mention that the scars look worse afterwards, until they start healing back up. If you think about a small building having levels added, it makes sense that you'd take it apart first to make sure everything is supported correctly before you add more levels, if you know what I mean. You should check out that powerpoint too, it has GREAT information in it :).

MemberMember
(@eleventh)

Posted : 05/22/2009 5:06 pm

Can someone tell me if you need an insulin pen or tool to remove the bd-microfine needles from its plastic case? I'm having a hard time removing it without possibly contaminating the needle. I'm guessing I need to order the pen too?