Notifications
Clear all

Panoxyl 2.5% And 5% Aquagel Discontinued

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/03/2012 8:16 am

From personal experience Dan's BP is more gentle and also glides on easier. It does take an awful long time to sink in though. PanOxyl is a touch more drying which might be a good thing.

To be honest, from personal experience again... BP is BP. I've had good results from every one I've tried.

PanOxyl

Quinoderm

BrevOxyl

Dan's BP

Neutrogena

I think people over think things. Cleanse, apply BP and moisturise. Switching anyone product to a different brand has never made a big difference to me. But that's just me.

I've managed to find some 5% Panoxyl in a pharmacy near to where I live, so I've been trying it out. Unfortunately this has coincided with a breakout (after enjoying two solid months of clear skin!) so it's difficult to tell at the moment how my skin will respond to the 5% in the long run, I'll have to wait and see.

*Should probably stress here that the breakout did not happen as a result of switching to 5%, it happened in the interim period when I'd ran out of 2.5 and hadn't found any 5.

I'm considering importing Dan's 8oz BP. Price wise it seems to work out fairly reasonable when importing from Amazon. 18 for 8oz is cheaper than buying what would effectively be 5 tubes of BP in the UK, and also the 8oz tube shouldn't get stung by customs charges.

Has anyone decided to switch from Panoxyl 2.5 to Dan's 2.5 BP? If so, what have the results been? Is it essentially the same product?

To answer your question. If I had to choose I'd go with Dan's. I used it since it came out and only really started using different brands as they where free on the NHS and I hadn't much money at the time. I'm off the regimen at the minute to try a few things out but I'll probably use Dan's again with BrevOxyl to fall back on if I go back.

MemberMember
(@anewflame)

Posted : 09/08/2012 9:25 am

If anyone is interested I feel like I have tried almost every alternative including:

• Dan's BP which is not the same thing at all - whatsoever. Ironically enough I found out about the regime on this site but couldn't afford to get his stuff shipped over so just went with Panoxyl 2.5 aquagel which worked absolute wonders - I had been clear for around a year and a half up until it was taken off the shelves. Then the cystic acne came back with a vengeance so I thought 'screw it' and spent 50 on getting a massive vat of Dan's BP gel over here. His BP is incredibly thin and takes around 15 mins to dry properly. Used this for about a week or two and was breaking out around the same amount as before I had discovered the regime.
  • Then I used quinoderm 5% cream which appeared to work initially, but did nothing to control the oil and made my skin overly dry and sore. Because it is a cream it rubs off during the night, comes off if you accidentally rub your face with your hand, clothing etc. It's cheap but I think you'd be hard pushed to just walk into a store and buy it as they're usually out.
  • In my desperation I went to my doctors who suggested I use Epiduo which is a 2.5% aquagel w/ 0.1% adapalene (sp?). The latter ingredient is extremely harsh on your skin; the gel is to be used once a day (either in the morning or night) and I must say is excellent in reducing the size and length of the spot, especially if they are cystic but does virtually nothing to prevent them from occurring in the first place (if that makes sense?). I had heard elsewhere that it is the 'topical version of accutane', but for me this has not proved to be the case. However I have only been using it for around a week now, so perhaps things will change.
  • I have ordered Benzac online, which is a 2.5% aquagel from Australia (I think). It comes in a tube like Panoxyl which leads me to believe it could have similar results (I know, not great logic but hey, I'm desperate!)

All in all, since Panoxyl has been discontinued I have tried pretty much everything and nothing has worked for me. I was as shocked as anyone to realise that Dan's BP didn't actually do the job, since it has obviously done wonders for so many (from reading this forum at least). Perhaps I needed a longer adjustment period? I assumed BP 2.5 aquagels would be all the same, and having been on one for a few years I figured I could switch straight to another one and see the same results. I've already done those first awful two or three months using BP where it appears to not work and just makes your skin dry - do I have to go through this again when switching brands? I do wonder.

Luckily for us Panoxyl plans to get its products back on the shelves by November (see http://www.facebook.com/StiefelGSK ), though I suspect the US market will see the first rounds and the UK market will have to wait longer. In the end (and I am ashamed to say it) I ended up buying Panoxyl 2.5 from Ebay for an unholy amount. I did this out of total desperation, I have just started a new job and the cystic acne is beyond a joke. Having to go through acne again, as I'm sure many of you know is an utterly heart breaking experience.

Has anyone else found any alternatives that they have used in the long term and that have worked!?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/09/2012 11:23 am

The only other one you haven't mentioned is Brevoxyl. It done the job for me but any BP I've tried has.

Dans was my favourite but I did hate the way you had to wait forever for it to sink in. My BP usage goes...

- Panoxyl mid 90s when I didn't know about the regimen and ruined my face.

- 2000 (?) Found the regimen and started with Neutrogena On the Spot, got totally clear

- Dan brought his out started using that

- Brevoxyl off the doctor to save money

- PanOxyl

- Quinoderm

- Panoxyl /Dans

Currently off the BP.

MemberMember
(@meli55a)

Posted : 09/10/2012 1:01 pm

Has anyone tried Oxy On The Spot? It contains bp 2.5%. I read the box and it says if you see no improvement after 14 days to consult your GP. So is this not meant for long term use?

MemberMember
(@jakeuk)

Posted : 09/11/2012 8:01 am

Just a Update. Been to my local pharmacy today and was told that PanOxyl 10% has now also been discontinued. Drove around a few other pharmacy's to be told the same thing. Looked online and also of places don't have any left. Theres a few places that have some left in stock so if you use this product, I suggest stocking up.

I have emailed Stiefel to try and get a update on the Pan-Oxyl brand as I cannot accept that this product is being removed from out shelves permanently.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/11/2012 12:01 pm

Sad day indeed. I'll miss the smell of it. Lots of memories. I can remember using it going on 20 years.

Just seen a tube sold on ebay for 25! You could get a 16oz bottle of Dan's for not much more.

MemberMember
(@jakeuk)

Posted : 09/11/2012 12:19 pm

So I emailed a UK contact of Steifel. Heres the reply,

Thank you for your email regarding the Panoxyl Aquagel range.

I am able to confirm that all strengths (including 10%) have been discontinued. Unfortunately we have no anticipation of any future supply.

I apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Georgia

So any hope that this rage will be coming back seems to be futile. Devastated and feel very bad for people like myself that depend on this product. Sad times indeed.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/11/2012 12:29 pm

Cheers Jake. Confirmed what I thought sadly.

I hope Brevoxyl isn't next. Not sure what GPs are gonna prescribe now. Panoxyl was the first line of defence since I can remember.

MemberMember
(@jakeuk)

Posted : 09/11/2012 12:38 pm

Cheers Jake. Confirmed what I thought sadly.

I hope Brevoxyl isn't next. Not sure what GPs are gonna prescribe now. Panoxyl was the first line of defence since I can remember.

My pharmacist has said that all Aquagel prescription have been moved on to Acnegel. He said it is very similar to the aquagel but its alcohol based so its a little harder on the skin. I guess it might be worth a try but I wouldn't be surprised if this goes down the pan in the near future...

MemberMember
(@ukuser12345)

Posted : 09/12/2012 4:54 am

I am also a loyal user of the Aquagel range, which has assisted me for a number of years.

I have just been on the phone to a Consumer Advisor from GSK and was able to abstract the following information:

- Panoxyl Aquagel

- Panoxyl Acnegel

... all BP%s / washes have been discontinued.

The bottom line was that they cannot see any indication that the products will be replaced or re-introduced at any point.

When asked about why it has been continued, they informed that the recent move of these products from an area of GSK to GSK Health Care incurred changes to the manufacturing plant where this products are produced, therefore no longer able to manufacture these products. It was not discontinued for any medical or research reasons. They were not able to provide any more detailed information which was slightly aggravating.

I was able to leave some feedback (not that GSK in the slightest may have any interest) to say that these products have been used my a large population of people, who may rely on these ranges. Adding that they have produced little information about the product withdrawal; which has left consumers in an unhelpful situation where they will be forced to go back to square one looking for alternatives.

If any of the information above is incorrect please update.

In the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for the next best alternative to Panoxyl? (BP which is affordable, dries quickly, strong impact, works well with a good moisturiser)

Thanks

MemberMember
(@jakeuk)

Posted : 09/12/2012 5:23 am

Also asked for details via email, this is what i got

I am able to confirm that the Acnegel is a temporary disruption, unfortunately we dont anticipate for this to become available again until the third quarter of 2013. Please note that this is subject to change.

I apologise for the inconvenience and hope that this is of help to you.

Sincerely,

Georgia

So whether she has said "third quarter of 2013" just to keep be hopeful or they do what some sort of plan to bring this product back in the distant future. I guess we'll see in 12 months.

As for replacements, many have been suggested throughout this post. I think the trouble is the lack of water based BP. Alot of the products on the UK market are cream based and this really doesn't work for me. Please update us if you find any sutible replacements.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/13/2012 5:06 am

The only alternative other than Dan's is Acnecide 5% by Galderma. Its water based. As far as I know its just Benzac which comes in 5% and 2.5% and Australian and Asian users get. I think Cetaphil actually do a regimen kit which includes Benzac 2.5% gel.

Its pricey though. Think its about 15 for 60g. I'd personally go with Dan's myself if I needed a water based BP.

Panoxyl Aquagel ingredients...

Carbomer 940

Di-isopropanolamine

Propylene glycol

Polyoxyethylene lauryl ether

Sodium lauryl sulphate

Purified water

Acnecide ingredients...

docusate sodium

disodium edetate

poloxamer 182

carbomer 940

propylene glycol

acrylates copolymer

glycerol

Colloidal anhydrous silica

purified water

sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/13/2012 5:44 am

You should get Acnecide off your GP if you ask about it. It should be on the list of prescribed meds. Its on here...

http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicine/12812/SPC/Acnecide+5++w+w+Gel/

MemberMember
(@dman2)

Posted : 09/18/2012 3:29 pm

Hey guys.

I like many of you used panoxyl for a long tie (4 years) so it's very annoying that it's out of production now. About 6 months ago I finally got control of my acne using a combination or panoxyl 2.5, sudocrem, e45 cream and dead sea mineral soap. Obviously the panoxyl is an intergral part of this so when it ran out and I found it unavailable I tried Brevoxyl, which still works but not nearly as good. Had a break out about 3 weeks ago and it's only just coming to an end.

So basically I want to find something as close as possible to panoxyl. I've read that Dan's BP is probably this, but can it be shipped to the UK? Do you guys use the US amazon site rather than buy it from this site direct and what are the postage fee's roughly. Sorry for the noob questions but I've tried finding them and I keep seeing conflicting answers.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/19/2012 2:30 am

Never used Amazon myself to order from DAn but if your ordering off this site I'd stick to the 8oz tube to avoid import taxes. You can chance ordering the 16oz bottle which is $32, but this puts it over the 15 limit your allowed. Its pot luck if it beats customs or not but if stopped and taxed are added it makes the cost a little high with all the add on fees. From memory it can add up to about 15 extra.

I'd go with the 8oz tube at $17 which is still a good deal at around 230ml. Cheapest shipping to the UK is $12 but from personal experience it usually arrives in around 5 days. The other options aren't worth your while as they are way to expensive. There is no tracking but I've never had any problems. Total under $30 which is roughly 18.

Just go to the store, add what you want to the cart and fill your details in. It will give you the different shipping options and payment total.

MemberMember
(@loftur)

Posted : 09/21/2012 5:26 pm

Also asked for details via email, this is what i got

I am able to confirm that the Acnegel is a temporary disruption, unfortunately we dont anticipate for this to become available again until the third quarter of 2013. Please note that this is subject to change.

I apologise for the inconvenience and hope that this is of help to you.

Sincerely,

Georgia

So whether she has said "third quarter of 2013" just to keep be hopeful or they do what some sort of plan to bring this product back in the distant future. I guess we'll see in 12 months.

As for replacements, many have been suggested throughout this post. I think the trouble is the lack of water based BP. Alot of the products on the UK market are cream based and this really doesn't work for me. Please update us if you find any sutible replacements.

ill news for me indeed... A while ago, when my beloved PanOxyl Aquagel disappeared from my local Boots, I've checked Steifel's Facebook and got an impression that the product is supposed to appear again in November or December. I had some reserve and I didn't worry, but now...

Unfortunately, I've tried the most of alternatives mentioned here, and for me they were completely pointless (apart from Acnecide, I've never heard of it yet, so thanks for the tip).

Just seen a tube sold on ebay for 25! You could get a 16oz bottle of Dan's for not much more.

Incomparable to normal prices, yet seems cheaper than starting all the search for suitable treatment all over again.

MemberMember
(@mae)

Posted : 10/03/2012 7:06 am

Aaaargh. Have used Panoxyl Aquagel since 2005. The Quinoderm cream doesn't work as well for me either and I can't even find that at pharmacies now because they can't keep up with demand now that the aquagel is discontinued. I'll order Dan's and report back. Meanwhile my skin is getting worse. Trying not to panic...

MemberMember
(@mae)

Posted : 10/15/2012 10:44 am

Just an update that Benzac seems to be a good replacement for Panoxyl Aquagel. It's fairly expensive ordered online and shipping takes a while (it's Australian and comes via Thailand in no great hurry), but I recommend it. I'd go so far to say that I like it better than Panoxyl. Panic over.

MemberMember
(@demolutioner)

Posted : 10/16/2012 4:24 pm

hi guys i always used brevoxyl the cream did very good job in 1 or 2 days the pimples are gone the the only bad thing is that is burn my face and i have red skin but at least the pimples are gone but now lately i can't seem to find any brevoxyl they stopped the product? i don't know whats wrong so i took the adaferin gel but its a little crap doesn't do anything so, i would be grateful if someone can suggest me a good cream like brevoxyl thanx.

MemberMember
(@mjansen2)

Posted : 10/19/2012 2:55 pm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1015/jobs-saved-at-stiefel-laboratories-in-sligo-business.html

See link above. There could be hope for the future of aquagel 2.5%. Living in Ireland. This stuff was made in Co. Sligo, Ireland. Place was on the verge of closing. Saved at last minute. I'm sure they'll continue production now (I hope). Seems to b in big demand.

Lovely product this. Didn't like it for first few weeks but skin has grown v used to it now.

Don't like the radio clip at the end where lady said they were going to change products. GSK wants more bottled products.

It's all money. Panoxyl was cheap as chips. I reckon they'll now put it in fancy packaging n charge 5x the price. Those big pharmaceutical companies love their $$$$

MemberMember
(@3stan)

Posted : 10/24/2012 10:27 am

Hi guys! New guy here. I just want to share you this depressing news. This was posted on Panoxyl's facebook account last October 23, 2012.

We apologize for the difficulty you are experiencing as you try to purchase our PanOxyl products, and we understand your frustration.

FOR CUSTOMERS IN EUROPE AND ASIA PACIFIC:

Over the past several months, we have been transferring the manufacturing of PanOxyl to a different factory which has unfortunately led to supply disruptions in Europe and Asia Pacific. During a recent review of the sit

uation, we made the decision to discontinue manufacturing all strengths of PanOxyl Aquagel. This includes:

PanOxyl 2.5% Aquagel

PanOxyl 5% Aquagel

PanOxyl 10% Aquagel

Panoxyl 10% Wash

We will continue to manufacture the products below and we are working very hard to get them back on the shelves for you:

PanOxyl 5% Cream “ Expected by Q1 2013

PanOxyl 10% Acnegel “ Expected by Q3 2013

Brevoxyl Cream 4% “ Expected by Q1 2013

**Please note, supply issues and timelines in the US and in Europe/Asia Pacific are not the same due to different manufacturing facilities in each region.**

Thank you for your patience and continued support as we work diligently to bring PanOxyl products back to shelves.

Maybe most of you have been trying to find alternatives now that certain products have become permanently unavailable. This is true for guys who are using Panoxyl aqua gel 2.5% and 5% as their main treatment for their acne.

I use cetaphil wash 2x a day, benzoyl peroxide 2.5% in AM and Adapalene at night. This works really well for me.

I have tried Quinoderm cream initially and found it very irritating, within 20 seconds after application my face started feeling like it was burning and I immediately washed my face with cold water.

The best alternative product that I have found is Acne.org's 2.5% benzoyl peroxide to replace my Panoxyl 2.5%. I ordered at Amazon USA (Not available at Amazon UK) and I got it within 10 days. It's not expensive as you may think. I've ordered the 16oz (472ml) bottle and it only cost me somewhere around £30-35, a tube of Panoxyl 2.5% 40g (40ml) is around £3-5. Guys take note this is 16oz, 472ml! For more information just visit their online store or amazon USA.

I hope this post helps.

Good day! surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@freddyharte)

Posted : 10/24/2012 5:14 pm

thanks for the info.

so is the acne.org cream working as well as your 2.5% aquagel?

MemberMember
(@mae)

Posted : 10/29/2012 7:33 am

Thanks for the info 3stan. How frustrating is that!

And I want to report that Benzac isn't really working so well afterall. My skin is looking pretty bad. So I'm waiting on my order of the acne.org cream. Fingers crossed that's better.

And I ordered three tubes of PanOxyl Aquagel online at extortionate prices.

MemberMember
(@astrobhoy)

Posted : 11/07/2012 11:22 am

yep - we're all in the same boat here!! :-(

I think if you are as disappointed about the loss of Panoxyl as me - it's worth sending a quick email to 'Andrew Witty' (no - that's really his name!) at GSK. and let them know that it's wrong to ditch the product.

[email protected]

I'm going back to Dan's BP. Worked fantastic for me for a number of years and the last batch for me was just crap (check over my older posts - I was convinced there was a change to the formula as it suddenly changed texture/smell and also mainly - stopped working!!)

I'm really hoping (no.....praying!!) that Dan BP has improved these past 2 years. (of course - they'll tell me it was never changed! grinwink.gif )

MemberMember
(@chewchew)

Posted : 11/16/2012 6:21 pm

Is it just me or are their Aquagel products vastly superior to their Acnegel ones? Also when the acnegel dries it leaves white blotches on my skin like I'm covered in toothpaste, so it's impossible to use it during the daytime. Acnegel soaks right in and is completely invisible. I can't believe they're ditching aquagel in favour of acnegel.

See link above. There could be hope for the future of aquagel 2.5%. Living in Ireland. This stuff was made in Co. Sligo, Ireland. Place was on the verge of closing. Saved at last minute. I'm sure they'll continue production now (I hope). Seems to b in big demand.

Oddly enough they stopped selling all Panoxyl products here in Irish pharmacies ages ago, I've had to buy my supply online for the last few years.