Notifications
Clear all

Do-Nothing-At-All Regimen

MemberMember
(@dynamiteland)

Posted : 01/06/2014 1:53 am

I love hearing your progress and am excited to see how it works for you :) I am currently a week in with the regimen and I'm looking forward to see how my face reacts. Anyways good luck and keep updating

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 01/07/2014 10:50 am

Hi DL, good deal, pm anytime if you have questions.

Day 60

I close cut my hair with clippers every couple weeks at minimum. Did this on Sunday night, while doing so, the clippers took off lots of dead skin from scalp. At this time, rinsed with distilled water scalp and face. Decided to take off any loose or unattached dead skin from face as well. I was careful to only massage off what was unattached and bascially sitting on top of face. Lots came off easily, much easier than first time on the 21st day. I think this is a positive. This ended 12 days of no water touching my face.

Skin underneath, stronger, less sensitive, less inflammed than first time, more pink in color. Still did have some dead skin that couldn't be removed because it was attached more on temples especially, little less on cheeks. I am very careful not to dig in to get those attached areas of dead skin off, and I think this is important to allow the skin to push that up when it's ready. I find that sweating daily really also helps not only moisturize and hydrate, but helps to loosen the dead skin.

Forehead dead skin very loose and not much present, surprising. No hiding or dormant pimples that were uncovered. The next day, did have a few small pimples around my trouble area high forehead close to hair line. I usually get some there when anything touches my skin, even rinsing with distilled water. When I used to cleanse or use warm water from shower, that area always was so sensitive and would break out.

Obviously the oil areas had most of the dead skin build up.

So still dealing with dead skin, but better than when I started regimen. Pimples really not much of an issue, usually small and hardly noticeable. They mostly now itch a bit, but no pain associated, and certainly no cystic acnes like I would get before.

Any itching, sensitivity, or discomfort is dead skin related. Overall tone is more even, skin looks and feels healthier and stronger.

So the goal of improving my skin acid mantle and the protection it affords my skin is on track. How much better will it get is the unknown. I'm 47 and did lots of damage using topical chemicals for 30 yrs, so just showing this much progress in this short of time, I'm happy.

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 01/27/2014 5:29 pm

Day 80 Update / Spring Water instead of Distilled / Also mineral oil warning

Learned a few things since last post.

To help with the flaking and dead skin and all that comes with it for SD sufferers, and after researching what oil I could use without oleic acid, I decided to try some mineral oil. Some say don't use, causes acne, others say it's non-comedogenic and non-irritating, so I patch tested around my chin area for a couple days, didn't have any issues. So then put all over my face last Saturday morning, huge mistake, felt a sore area like a cystic acne starting on my left cheek area early evening, so immediately rinsed a few times with distilled water to try to get it off. That sore area did indeed become a big cystic acne and even spread to a couple different areas with smaller but sore pimples close by. Luckily, not too much damage anywhere else, just some general irritation and small break out patches. The cystic acne did it's thing, big inflamed, sore, and finally a couple days ago started healing, and now looks pretty darn good, much smaller, minor redness.

The thing that helped was sea salt water (distilled) mixture dabbed on a couple times each day, killed the bacteria, has helped heal nicely. This helps well as long as I use only sparingly and small areas. Otherwise, it's too drying can irritate.

This past Saturday, I tried Spring Water instead of distilled. My thinking is, after rinsing with distilled, my skin feels a bit sensitive and itchy, then calms after some time, but I'm still getting flaking and itching with the dead skin. I had tried Spring Water rinse a couple times the previous week to see how my skin would react since I was getting impatient with the continued dead skin build up, itching, and flaking, and it seemed to be more calm, less sensitive, like it was able to hold moisture better, and less flaking.

Since Saturday morning, I've continued to Spring Water rinse am/pm. Skin continues to feel softer, more calm, less flaking and itching, less sensitive and better able to hold moisture compared to distilled at least. I think Distilled might be a bit too acidic for my skin and is causing some irritation w/flaking and itching. When distilled is exposed to air, it draws in CO2 and becomes acidic. Since I keep a lid on, it doesn't get too bad, but still probably in the 6.5-6.7 range, this may be too much for me. Spring Water ph should be much more alkaline in the range of 8-8.5, due to the minerals it picks up from passing over rocks in the earth, so this may be enough to help my skin be less reactive.

So I learned a few things. No mineral oil, reacted terribly. Can use Jojoba on occasion if necessary, as long as in small areas, it has only about 10% oleic acid so about as good as I'm going to find for a plant oil. Spring Water now in use only for rinse.

Diet wise, I like to drink red wine nightly, and we know not good for SD. Started drinking Sake last night, supposed to be much less acidic, and has no sulfites.

Overall, I expect this to be a long process and needs patience, still much better than before I started. Skin is stronger, very little acne, hopefully the switch to Spring Water will be a positive addition and help lessen any irritation, dead skin buildup and flaking.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 02/16/2014 2:00 pm

so tempted.... don't you get small clogged up pores though? closed comedones ? i get this type of acne and i squeeze them out, they are like grains of rice

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 02/17/2014 11:07 am

Day 101

Hi, glad you asked that.

Yes I do get clogged pores, but I get those if I wash too plus acne. That is hardened oil/fat in the pores, a cleanser with water will not be able to get that stuff out. Plus you add in the irritation factor using chemicals and the physical rubbing, your immune system responds with inflamation, and now it can become a real mess. When you strip the skin's natural oils, your skin will compensate by producing even more oil to replace the oil stripped away, it becomes a vicious cycle.

By doing less or nothing at all, this gives our skin a chance to recover, repair and balance our acid mantle, and naturally fend off bacteria by producing hopefully just the right amount of light oil.

To cut down on clogged pores, you need to ensure you are getting plenty of omega 3 fatty acids. You get these by eating lots of veggies and fish like salmon. You can also supplement with algae, krill oil, fish oil, flaxseed, or chia seeds/oils. They are all very high in polyunsaturated or omega 3 fats. Our Western Diets lend us to consume way too much of the bad omega 9 and too much of less bad omega 6, through processed foods. Omega 3 or linoleic acid is thin oil and will not clog pores. Omeg 6 and especially 9, have higher concentrations of oleic acids, are thicker and will add to clogging pores.

Another thing.. we want to ensure our skin's PH is slightly acidic in the range of 4.5-5.5. A healthy skin acid mantle/barrier is in that range. Unhealthy or broken skin barriers will normally be more alkaline. Soaps and most cleansers will cause the skin to become more alkaline by stripping away the skin's oils during washing. If it is more alkaline above these levels, you lend yourself to bacterial invasion (pimples), dry skin, flaking etc..

Along with doing less, I am now focusing on trying to help my skin balance out it's PH.

To do this, I am adding a very small amt of apple cider vinegar (ACV) to distilled water and dabbing on my face with organic cotton, trying very hard not to rub at all. I then just leave it on. By doing this, I am lowering my skin's PH to the healthly range from being overly alkaline. Because I have Seb Derm and even more dead skin build up because of the Seb Derm, I think my skin's PH is too high.

ACV will naturally dissolve dead skin, so that is an added benefit. One thing for sure, it softens my dead skin. The main thing for me is to ensure I heavily dilute with the distilled water to avoid irritation. I can always add a bit more ACV if I feel I can tolerate as time goes on. I am doing this in the evening after my work out and first thing in the morning. Some people will rinse off with water after allowing the ACV mix to sit on skin for a bit..

No to spring water. In my previous post for day 80, I mentioned I was trying spring water instead of distilled hoping that would help alleviate dead skin and flaking, that did NOT work and had an immediate reaction - redness, itching, acne breakout. Distilled definitely works best for me.

MemberMember
(@lanette)

Posted : 02/17/2014 12:30 pm

do u allow the acv to remain on ure skin? how long? or do u rinse it off? how can i check my ph level of my skin? is it possible?

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 02/17/2014 12:54 pm

I do not rinse off, and my mixture is very heavily diluted. I may change that as time goes on, and based on results. I want to start slowly and be cautious because I'm very sensitive.

I believe it's an individual choice, some leave on for 15-30 min then rinse off, others might not rinse at all, you might want to experiment. Also be careful about going outside and being exposed to the sun right after if you do it in the morning, you could remain sun sensitive due to the acids in the ACV.

I believe only a lab tech can check your skin's ph. You can usually tell by: if you skin is dry, oily, or acne prone, then your ph is probably too alkaline causing your skin barrier to be disrupted. If your skin is too acidic (less likely), then the skin is usually more red and irritated.

http://www.marilyn.ca/Beauty/Segment/Daily/April2013/04_12_2013/SkinpH

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 02/17/2014 2:18 pm

cheers paul. well this is food for thought.. i just went to the doc and he prescribed me Differin gel. I guess using that in conjunction with maybe taking supplements of Omega 3 would be a good start?

MemberMember
(@lanette)

Posted : 02/17/2014 2:25 pm

thx 4 the link.....the issue im having rite now is the front of my neck which is very delicate.....u seem very well informed and seem to have a lot of knowledge about skin issues...anyhow, back 2 my neck...i began breaking out on front of neck 3 or 4 mos ago...i tried the do nothing approach only letting water gently flow on it in the shower once a day..it seemed to work off/on...but kept getting breakouts so i decided to do dans regimen w/ his products (cetaphil cleanser, 2.5%bp and dans moisturizer) been doing that for a month now, and its just too iriitating even though im using very lil cleanser and bp twice a day and moisturizing up to 3 times a day cuz its so dry....i thought it was the bp, but theres an area on my neck where i never but the bp and that areas always very dry especially after washing....so im trying 2 figure out if its the hard water or cleanser or both.....any advice on how i can determine what culprit is causing such dryness/irritation...breakouts havent been as bad but now im running into a whole other host of problems w excessive dryness/irritation/itchiness and red blotchy areas spiratically on my neck...very frustrating...its a cycle that just keeps repeating...im trying 2 keep the acne at bay but also have smooth even toned hydrated skin!

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 02/17/2014 3:01 pm

Hi JTL,

I suggest not using meds from from your doc ). I know that sucks, but.. Usually those are just short term bandaids that most likely will have negative side effects that hurt your skin long term, then puts you deeper in the hole. Sorry, without knowing anything about differin.. I'm more interested in long term solutions, where you support your skin to allow it to become stronger and able to get well and regulate on its own. You might suffer a bit in the short term though doing this.. My suffering is dead skin and flaking more than anything else now, but then I have Seb Derm and my dead skin will be much worse and more chronic than those without Seb Derm. If I didn't have Seb Derm, I'd think I could get my skin closer to normal and self regulating.. I'm hoping the addition of ACV heavily diluted in distilled water will help me control my Seb Derm/dead skin issue better. There is no cure and I have to try to control my huge amt of dead skin somehow. The PH angle makes sense so I'm trying that and will update, so far so good, but I need at least a month to verify.

I do suggest supplementing with omega 3 fatty acids (polyunsaturated fats), eat lots of veggies, and salmon, stay hydrated (lots of water), exercise daily, and avoid processed foods, sugar, chocolate, coffee, alcohol. I still drink wine nightly and have dark chocolate because I don't want to go through life with no luxuries, just have to do in moderation.

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 02/17/2014 3:21 pm

Hi Lanette

I suggest no cleansers and do not allow tap water to contact your problem areas. If you do, because you feel you have to shower, use distilled water to rinse any problem areas right after. You can use organic cotton to rub very lightly or just splash rinse with distilled. Also, make sure you don't touch those affected areas with dirty towels, always use new and clean towels each time or just allow to air dry.

Dryness and irritation can cause break outs. Tap water will usually cause dryness due to the chlorine, high mineral content, and other metals. Also try to avoid having anything contact that area to rule out contact irritation.

Also, if you use a towel to pat dry those problem areas, make sure the towels are cleaned in hot water and non-perfumed laundry detergent.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 02/17/2014 3:39 pm

hi paul, basically its a retinoid. it helps the cell to 'turn over' correctly and function as it should, not trapping oil under the skin in the plug.

over time 6 months plus the skin will be soft, glowing and acne free etc - it takes time and most people have an IB.. so yeah i may give it a try.

i like the idea of the skin healing itself, but why at 26 years old would i still break out? i am 100% sure its hormone related for me.. everytime i have sex or work out hard for a few days in the gym i break out... my skin clogs up and i get white heads etc.

you will like this > http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcls-txt/t-prtcl-111.htm its amazing. Some things are very interesting such as TEARS which contain EPIDERMAL Growth factor.. i remember once when I cried at how fucked my face was, the next day it was healed much better from where the tears had been on my skin..

this reminded me, have you thought of taking supplement form of collagen?

on a side note > relaxing tune great beat !

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 02/17/2014 4:17 pm

Ok.. good luck.

I've also heard niacinamide cream, without preservatives and specially prepared by a compounding pharmacist, might help with re-balancing the skin mantle and helping to repair the barrier.

The skin is a huge organ that constantly detoxes, and many things affect it, hormones for sure, very complicated of course. I think the best thing to do with skin care is not make it worse from the outside anyway, but that is my philosophy anyway for my skin issues. Everyone is different.

I'll check the article. I have tried MSM and it does help a bit..

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 03/18/2014 11:15 am

I've recently stopped distilled water only. I am now adding raw, organic honey to try to control my bio film / dead skin issue. I believe any personal version of the caveman/doing less/no cleansers can be a very good regimen for those not having Seb Derm. For those with SD, we need to tackle the yeast issue also.

My skin is stronger since I began not washing or using cleansers, but the bio film will not lessen. With it comes the thick flakes, irritation, redness, itching, plugged pores, acne etc.. The yeast has to be controlled or the symptoms will remain.

I've started raw, organic honey masks/cleansing. I basically am going by Auburn's regimen

Her regimen makes sense... and she understands the importance of avoiding potential irritants like chlorinated water, no cleansers, shampoos etc..

I have tried the honey regimen before, but stopped after a short time as I wasn't getting good results. However, this time around, I'm hopeful that my skin will respond better sooner since I'm not using cleansers anymore. This is the 3rd day and so far good results.

I'll post my results. Email me if you have any questions.

MemberMember
(@alexela)

Posted : 03/24/2014 10:52 pm

Please continue to keep us updated paul, very excited to hear about your progression. I'm on about day 30 of the do-nothing regimen and my acne hasn't really seen much improvement to be honest, it feels very dry and itchy and i have dead skin on my face. Additionally there seems to be a layer of dirt that has accumulated on my face, i accidentally scratched my face and noticed that a layer of dirt came off and my skin tone got a whole shade lighter..gross. I'm not sure how to go about taking this layer of dirt off or if i should keep it on my face? I took off some of the really visible dirt gently with cold water and a bunch of Q-tips yesterday. I will add however, that my face has reduced its production of oil and it no longer feels thick and uncomfortable but unfortunately no real big improvemnts on acne... I still remain optimistic though and will continue to carry out the regimen for at least a few more weeks

wish me luck guys

MemberMember
(@paul051966)

Posted : 03/25/2014 9:01 am

Hi Alexela

From what I've read, some get their best results after 2 months, so really does depend on your skin type, how reactive, how sensitive, and how long it may have been affected by chemicals, how damaged, and how bad off your skin mantle/barrier was before beginning this routine.

The dead skin for those not having Seb Derm is your skin healing itself similar to a wound. The dryness, itching, it's all part of the process just like a wound I suppose during the scab-over phase. Keep giving it time, many give up too soon and will never realize the potential lifelong benefits.

For the dryness, if it cannot be tolerated, you might try an organic plant/seed oil like jojoba (actually jojoba is not an oil) to help moisturize, but the idea is to allow your skin to rebalance itself and decide what's best for it, when to produce oil and when not to and how much.

For me, I have a major skin barrier issue and yeast problem, so that's why I'm using honey and so far, I'm happy. It's killing yeast and conditioning my skin at the same time. I just hope it continues to be good for me.

Also, as we all know, internal factors are the big key. Diet, food allergies, possible leaky gut, digestive issues all play a huge role. I recommend seeing a naturopath and get tested and get on a program suited for your specific needs.

Best of luck

MemberMember
(@omar10)

Posted : 11/30/2014 9:29 pm

I'm just starting the regimen. I workout a lot and sweat a lot. Do you guys blot your face with a clean towel after your done?

MemberMember
(@caveman-starter)

Posted : 07/30/2016 8:37 pm

Hey all, I'm 16 years old, 17 days away from my birthday... I have been using benzoyl peroxide for 4 weeks now, and have been on oral medication, and my acne (pimples) is basically gone, however. I have red marks eveywhere and they are not healing. I would love to get some advice as the struggle has been really frustrating. Today I'm going to start the caveman route, but plan on washing my face twice a day with just water. Any thoughts?

MemberMember
(@grooving-till-old-till-dust)

Posted : 07/30/2016 11:52 pm

3 hours ago, Caveman starter said:

Hey all, I'm 16 years old, 17 days away from my birthday... I have been using benzoyl peroxide for 4 weeks now, and have been on oral medication, and my acne (pimples) is basically gone, however. I have red marks eveywhere and they are not healing. I would love to get some advice as the struggle has been really frustrating. Today I'm going to start the caveman route, but plan on washing my face twice a day with just water. Any thoughts?

I dont think you should try this alternative form of treatment. Wash your face with a gentle cleaner twice a day.

MemberMember
(@caveman-starter)

Posted : 07/31/2016 2:03 am

2 hours ago, acne scar obsession said:
5 hours ago, Caveman starter said:

I dont think you should try this alternative form of treatment. Wash your face with a gentle cleaner twice a day.

Why? I need facts at this point, thanks for the advice though

MemberMember
(@caveman-starter)

Posted : 07/31/2016 10:38 am

I go swimming in the ocean every night starting yesterday and literally over night I can see a small change do you think that can replace the wash?

MemberMember
(@grooving-till-old-till-dust)

Posted : 07/31/2016 11:00 am

You're right, I should of given you an explanation. Give your experiment a go. I hope it works out.

MemberMember
(@caveman-starter)

Posted : 07/31/2016 11:58 am

56 minutes ago, acne scar obsession said:

You're right, I should of given you an explanation. Give your experiment a go. I hope it works out.

How are you supposed to get rid of the benzoyl peroxide scars ?