Notifications
Clear all

Best Makeup For Acne Prone Skin

MemberMember
(@teetee89)

Posted : 09/03/2013 2:49 pm

I have suffered from acne my whole life, and even now in my adult life am suffering from acne and oil. I'm currently using Estee Lauder, it's a double wear liquid foundation and has caused no issues with my acne. But I would always suggest a primer under your foundation, and CoverFX actually makes one that treats acne as well as keeping you matte and your pores refined all day. As for no make up, it always helps to have a day or two of no cosmetics but unfortunately most people don't want to reveal their skin when it's breaking out, so I also suggest double cleansing your skin at the end of your day. And keep moisturized as your oil production will increase with lack of moisture. Always wash your make up off at the end of the day, your skin does it's healing at night when you're asleep. =) Good luck everyone! I hope you find what you're looking for. nod.gif

MemberMember
(@ukdreamin)

Posted : 09/15/2013 9:31 pm

I've tried SO many foundations, from drugstore to high end, and the BEST one for acne-prone, oily/combination skin - is Make Up For Ever Mat velvet + - this controls my shine and covers ALL of my marks (unless I get a huge cystic bump, then I need a bit of MAC studio fix concealer on top) and you can't even tell I have acne

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 10/23/2013 6:05 pm

I absolutely love makeup by Origins, my cousin got me hooked on it 14 years ago and I haven't looked back on anything else since!!! It hides acne and scars very well and the look is so natural !!! You can order it thru their main website or go to Macys smile.png

MemberMember
(@kamiller1972)

Posted : 11/05/2013 1:13 pm

I really love Merle Norman foundations. Most are all fragrance free, oil free, non-acnegenic, non-comedogenic...and most all their products are made in the USA. They are also cruelty free if that is one of your concerns surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@dayzii)

Posted : 11/11/2013 2:49 pm

I use prescriptives matte finish with sunscreen. I have used it since 16 now 25. It really does not break me out if I wash it off correctly and don't really powder throughout the day. I also use their concealer. For powder I use Almay. I also use physician formulas highlighter and Victoria secret mascara and blush. I know what causes my acne and it definitely is not my makeup.

MemberMember
(@starviolet)

Posted : 11/11/2013 11:19 pm

Make sure to avoid MAC face cosmetics. I have been an avid MAC user until my dermotologist told me to throw it away! Even many of the MAC consultants do not recommend their face products to acne/sensitive skinned people.

I've switched to Cover FX and I LOVE IT! It's full coverage speficially designed for people with acne, so there is absolutely no risk of it breaking you out. I 100% recommend it to anyone looking!

Make sure to avoid MAC face cosmetics. I have been an avid MAC user until my dermotologist told me to throw it away! Even many of the MAC consultants do not recommend their face products to acne/sensitive skinned people.

I've switched to Cover FX and I LOVE IT! It's full coverage speficially designed for people with acne, so there is absolutely no risk of it breaking you out. I 100% recommend it to anyone looking!

MAC makeup gave me Milia, it did not however aggravate my inflammatory acne. Back a couple of years ago Studio Tech cream makeup was my go to makeup as it was the only thing that was thick enough to cover my large "raised" acne pimples. I never got more "inflammatory" acne lesions from MAC, but it did create the additional problem of acne cosmetica which is why I wouldn't recommend their makeup on a *daily basis* however it's great for film and T.V.

MemberMember
(@sweetiemuffin)

Posted : 11/22/2013 6:52 pm

Find a products that are water based. Water based products do not clog pores.

I swear by Dinair. Its airbrush makeup.

Pros: Make your skin flawless, long lasting, covers anything, doesn't look cakey, and doesn't break me out.

Cons: It's expensive and you got to clean the airbrush gun every time you use it. It's really time consuming, but its my HG.

Products that are waterbased: Face & Body Liquid Makeup by Makeup Forever, Face & Body Foundation by MAC, Maybelline PureMakeup, ect.

MemberMember
(@alexiam90)

Posted : 11/23/2013 1:47 pm

I went through all the make up threads the other day since I was looking for a good concealer and foundation to replace my Urban Decay. I narrowed my list down by looking at all the ingredients and finally went and bought Almay Smart Shade concealer and Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Airbrushing Pressed Powder SPF 30. I've been using both for a week now without any new breakouts! YAY! I was a little nervous to go with a powder foundation only because I never liked them in the past since they tend to look cakey, but this one doesnt! Thank you to the person who recommended these products!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 11/24/2013 2:37 am

I went through all the make up threads the other day since I was looking for a good concealer and foundation to replace my Urban Decay. I narrowed my list down by looking at all the ingredients and finally went and bought Almay Smart Shade concealer and Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Airbrushing Pressed Powder SPF 30. I've been using both for a week now without any new breakouts! YAY! I was a little nervous to go with a powder foundation only because I never liked them in the past since they tend to look cakey, but this one doesnt! Thank you to the person who recommended these products!

I have Urban Decay's Naked foundation, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Did you notice more breakouts from it?

I used Smart Shade a few years ago, but couldn't find the right shade.

MemberMember
(@alexiam90)

Posted : 11/27/2013 3:38 am

I have Urban Decay's Naked foundation, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Did you notice more breakouts from it?

At first I loved Urban Decay's Naked foundation, but after maybe a month of use I noticed I had lots of clogged pores. You couldn't really see them unless you looked at my skin in harsh daylight super closely, but it bothered me a lot. I didn't realize that the foundation was causing my clogged pores because I didn't notice any blemishes from it right away. I stopped using it about 10 days ago and my skin does seem to look less congested.

I'm using light/medium for Smart Shade and I noticed it doesn't break me out, but the shade is a little weird. It matches my skin tone but seems a little gray once it dries. It would look odd if I didn't put foundation over it, but so far the Physicians Formula is great for me and masks the gray from the concealer.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 11/27/2013 4:14 pm

At first I loved Urban Decay's Naked foundation, but after maybe a month of use I noticed I had lots of clogged pores. You couldn't really see them unless you looked at my skin in harsh daylight super closely, but it bothered me a lot. I didn't realize that the foundation was causing my clogged pores because I didn't notice any blemishes from it right away. I stopped using it about 10 days ago and my skin does seem to look less congested.

I'm using light/medium for Smart Shade and I noticed it doesn't break me out, but the shade is a little weird. It matches my skin tone but seems a little gray once it dries. It would look odd if I didn't put foundation over it, but so far the Physicians Formula is great for me and masks the gray from the concealer.

Yeah, I thought so too. I read some reviews for Urban Decay and quite a few people said it broke them out. Too bad because it's free of most harsh chemicals. I'm not sure what could be irritating in the ingredients....the sephora salesgirl said it might be dimethicone, but I use another foundation with it and it doesn't break me out.

Smart Shade turned a bit gray on me too, and I think it may have clogged my pores a little. I might check out physicians formula. I tried their foundation but I couldn't find the right shade again.

MemberMember
(@rlsid21)

Posted : 11/27/2013 11:38 pm

Sephora Tarte BB Cream Tinted Moisturizer with Amazonian Clay is FANTASTIC and beneficial for severely acne prone skin like mine. It has a bit of a sparkle in it when you put it on as well making your skin noticeably glowy. I use Sheer Cover Mineral loose powder and concealer with the Tarte. All of these combined give great coverage that lasts all day even when I workout. I don't ever breakout with these products. Amazon clay is suppose to be healing to acne prone skin and it indeed does. It feels great in addition to looking like I came out of a facial when I wear it. Highly recommend Tarte and Sheer Cover......

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 12/30/2013 1:07 pm

I can't find makeup that covers up depressed scarring :-\ Any reccs?

MemberMember
(@vivids)

Posted : 02/28/2014 1:36 pm

My skin is extremely sensitive and acne prone. I used mac foundation and that was a huge mistake. Don't ever use that...it's way too thick and heavy. Right now I'm using Lancome Teint Miracle and it's perfect for me! It's 37% water and it's non-comedogenic and oil free.

MemberMember
(@klmyr04)

Posted : 03/04/2014 2:10 pm

GLO Minerals light but amazing coverage buy it on Amazon.com gettthe pressed powder foundation and cream concealer if needed

MemberMember
(@ambertaylor)

Posted : 03/06/2014 1:53 pm

I would suggest you go for a mineral makeup. This will be better for your skin. there are many high end and low ends that you can try, you just have to find the one that works best for you. I personally love ELF.

MemberMember
(@kylenea)

Posted : 03/11/2014 10:02 am

I've been using Lorac Natural Performance (Oil-free) for about 5 years without any problems, even without a primer. It's on the matte side, which I don't necessarily like as I'm on the drier side, but it absolutely does not break me out. I'm in the market still for a dewey foundation, and will let you know if I locate one that I don't believe is causing clogged pores.

MemberMember
(@jlee123)

Posted : 03/13/2014 1:04 am

If you are using bare minerals and have cystic acne stop!!!! I have had clear skin my entire life, a year and a half ago I started getting huge cystic pimples on my chin.. Why I continued to use this make up I have no idea. I figured because I used the loose powder in high school and never broke out that couldn't be the reason. I got allergy tested, stopped eating dairy gluten etc, went to 3 derms, did everything. Then finally I realized the only thing that I started doing differently when I started breaking out was using the bare minerals (not the loose powder the full coverage compact although I don't think it matters) since I stopped using it I have gotten zero cystic pimples!!! Nothing!!! Skin is clear for the first time in almost two years and healing luckily with no scars just red marks that are quickly fading, I also stopped using cerave!!! I use nuetrogena ultra gentle cleanser and cetaphil foam for oily skin if I have more make up on then normal. I'm using cover girl oil free compact (it's a light/sheer formula and doesn't make me break out) seriously.. If you were suffering from cystic acne the first thing you need to do is stop using bare minerals.....

MemberMember
(@cherice95405)

Posted : 06/01/2014 8:45 am

A couple of "safe" ones I have found are Priia mineral (they have a cream foundation), and Make Up Forever Face & Liquid Makeup (the other ones by Make Up Forever have pore clogging ingredients.