Notifications
Clear all

Best Makeup For Acne Prone Skin

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 07/16/2012 11:52 am

Everyday minerals.

But if you MUST have a liquid, covergirl CLEAN makeup is really nice. It doesn't look super heavy on the skin.

I agreenod.gif I've been using EM powder about a year and never had any problem.

Also I tried covergirl CLEAN today, and I love it! It's light, and I don't look caky. Plus my skin stayed matt all day!

Have you tried the Clean Powder also? I LOVE IT! It sets undereye concealer so well!

I've been thinking of buying these covergirl clean products but was wondering what sort of coverage they give. Would someone be able to let me know?

Well it's a light to medium coverage, but I have used a wet sponge and built it up to a heavier coverage if ever needed.

Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/16/2012 7:33 pm

Well it's a light to medium coverage, but I have used a wet sponge and built it up to a heavier coverage if ever needed.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much! :) Sounds good to me

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/16/2012 10:14 pm

I agree with the above poster. Make Up For Ever is an amazing brand and their concealers/foundation are well worth the money. I use their Full Cover Concealer every day and don't know what I'd do without it. It covers very well, blends great, and stays on for a long time. Not to mention it's also non-comedogenic and waterproof!

It's a bit pricey (my concealer was $30) but for how much I use it and how long it's lasted, it's definitely worth the money!

I've heard good things about Make Up Forever. Does your concealer contain any oil at all?

I like Maybelline Super Stay 24 Concealer in Ivory to cover my dark spots and blemishes (when I get them). It's oil-free, and has not caused me any problems yet! rolleyes.gif

Also, I love to use the oil-free Physician's Formula blushes. The packaging is adorable, and the blushes themselves are super-flattering to my skin tone.

I try to stay away from powders of any kind and liquid foundations. I have not come across a single type of full-coverage makeup yet that hasn't caused my skin to get little puddles of oil on the cheeks, chin, and forehead within 45 minutes. Not attractive.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/17/2012 2:25 am

My Make Up For Ever Full Cover concealer is oil-free, waterproof and matte finish. It was basically the only way I could go out in public and feel good about myself when I had my bad breakout. Now I still use it for underneath my eyes (if I don't, everyone always tells me I look tired!) and blemishes when I get them. It's really the best concealer I've ever had.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/18/2012 5:45 am

Would anyone recommend Revlon Colourstay foundation?

A lot of people seem to love this foundation for it's great coverage but I've never tried it myself.

Was wondering what anyone here thought of it for people with acne?

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/19/2012 1:43 am

A lot of people seem to love this foundation for it's great coverage but I've never tried it myself.

I bought Revlon Colorstay about a month ago. I think it works very well for the price. I don't really have acne anymore, just PIH that I need to cover up, and Colorstay does the trick on my more faded marks. On the newer, fresher marks, I usually have to put a little concealer on top of the foundation. The finish is very matte and almost a bit powder-y looking, but not cakey...just a nice finish. It lasts a good while too. Also, it comes in many shades, which is great.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 07/19/2012 3:40 pm

I don't love it. It smells and feels like paint on my face. It does have quite decent coverage and excellent color selection. It dries super fast so blending can be difficult if you're not careful. It tends to look and feel like a mask on my skin.

For a drugstore foundation, I'd rather use Maybelline Super Stay, Neutrogena Shine Control foundation, or Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme foundation.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/19/2012 8:05 pm

I don't love it. It smells and feels like paint on my face. It does have quite decent coverage and excellent color selection. It dries super fast so blending can be difficult if you're not careful. It tends to look and feel like a mask on my skin.

For a drugstore foundation, I'd rather use Maybelline Super Stay, Neutrogena Shine Control foundation, or Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme foundation.

Thanks for that info :) I have heard that it is quite thick so I was worried about how it would feel on the skin...

Thanks for the other product suggestions too :)

MemberMember
(@chloehastings)

Posted : 07/21/2012 1:12 pm

hey!:)

I started using a new concealer and a foundation and my skin literally looks FLAWLESS with makeup even though it's far from flawless.

For concealer I use

Smooth Operator„ Amazonian Clay Waterproof Concealer

it is $22 at sephora, and it covers acne so well, and doesn't break me out.

Over my concealer I use a Clinique Stay Matte oil free Makeup so it's longlasting and looks great on my skin :) another one o my favorites s the Makeup Forever HD foundation. However the colors are kind of weird for me.

Good Luck!

I tried it before but it broke me out and it smelled funny haha I don't like it

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 07/21/2012 3:14 pm

^ I had been wondering about that concealer, good to know it works.

What do you ladies think of Mineral Fusion? I just bought the

pressed powder base and I'm liking it so far.

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 07/22/2012 5:25 pm

I don't have blemishes anymore, but when I did I used Dermablend by Vichy. C: Hell, I still use it now if I have a little spot I want to cover. Super SUPER light, easy to take off, doesn't clog my pores, matches my skin tone perfectly. Don't even need setting powder.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 07/23/2012 3:15 pm

Thanks for that info smile.png I have heard that it is quite thick so I was worried about how it would feel on the skin...

Thanks for the other product suggestions too smile.png

You might consider trying it though; I know lots of people who swear by it and love it dearly. I'm definitely in the minority here. I prefer a foundation that looks very natural, and I find that Revlon Colorstay doesn't give the most natural results. Flawless, yes; natural-looking, not so much.

MemberMember
(@simonukox)

Posted : 07/24/2012 8:51 am

I find Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation a life saver. Although its expensive, at 26.50, a bottle should last you two months. Plus, within a week of using it (instead of L'Oreal Infallible) my acne cleared up dramatically. The only time it's ever caused me trouble is when I don't take it off properly, especially along the jaw - though that is of course my own fault! Everyone's skin is different though, so maybe just try out a tester

MemberMember
(@mgx)

Posted : 11/09/2012 9:29 pm

NO MAKE UP for me......

MemberMember
(@lildropofsunshine)

Posted : 11/29/2012 6:23 pm

I honestly hate mineral makeup. I've tried multiple kinds, and my skin is just way too sensitive for it! Every kind I've tried has made me ridiculously itchy, and hasn't looked as good as liquid foundation.

My favorites are Revlon Colorstay (drugstore), and Estee Lauder Double Wear (more high end). They both provide amazing all day coverage without making my sensitive skin more sensitive, and without breaking me out.

MemberMember
(@j0sephine)

Posted : 01/06/2013 7:53 pm

i use the smashbox bb cream camera ready and i really love it. a little bit on the pricey side but i think it's all worth it.

MemberMember
(@jfaye)

Posted : 01/06/2013 11:44 pm

Has anyone here tried Youngblood cosmetics? Specifically their pressed mineral foundation.

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 01/07/2013 10:44 am

Stila perfect and correct? Expensive, but it hasn't broken me out the few times I've used it! (I have a tester!)

MemberMember
(@lostanddelirious)

Posted : 01/14/2013 7:53 pm

I've been using revlon colorstay foundation (combination/oily) for years now, it works well for my skin and I have acne.

MemberMember
(@jeve)

Posted : 01/15/2013 9:31 pm

......have not been using any kind of make-up since i had acne and i think it has helped a lot........ I just stuck out with the most mild cleansers and moisturizers ( heck i even make my own antibacterial toner)..... I just use a lot of lipbalm for my dry lips... Thats all.!!!!!!

Wow, good for you and thanks for responding about your experience. I am using Cover FX now and it does provide good coverage. I want to stop wearing makeup but am afraid of others perceptions of me and actually I think my scars and so on are ugly. I wear this makeup everyday and I just can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life, I know stopping the makeup cycle would probably help out my skin condition. I tend to break out a pick a bit so I really need to stop in order to let my face heal. How did you deal with the psychological effects of not wearing makeup to cover acne? or was your acne that bad to begin with? I'm relaly curious. Congrats again and your effort is inspiring.

MemberMember
(@geliney)

Posted : 01/15/2013 10:24 pm

I have been using Jane Iredale purepressed base for years, it changed my life after that. Comes in many colours so I was able to choose one that matches my skin tone well. Product is a lil pricey and the foundation lasted me for almost a year, and I put makeup daily. It's the only foundation that allows my skin to breath though... Have tried to convert to bb creams but they're way to oily for me...

MemberMember
(@geminimier)

Posted : 08/09/2013 2:51 am

Sephora has this amazing primer/gel lotion tinted thing from Perkect (link below). I use it after moisturizer. It's a bit pricey (57$ for an ouncehuh.png ), but feels great on - smooth and comforting, not heavy at all. The coverage is kinda light - like a tinted moisturizer, but the texture of it is WAY better. Pat it on your face, rather than smearing it on.

I use it underneath Revlon's Colourstay or New Complexion liquid foundation (they have one for combo skin), applied with a wet sponge, on the areas that still need some cover. Then maybe some concealer, and powder. Finish off with ELF Makeup Mist (3$ at any drugstore).

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P119802&categoryId=B70

Back in a day Revlon Colorstay was great on my skin, didn't cause me break outs. Been very loyal to this product from 2006 to mid 2013. I got upset when I purchased it just recently for replenishment, I was surprised there were zits coming out, I was so devastated don't know what to do. So I thought maybe I should try their whip cream foundation, but to my dismay it did the same thing. I was so depressed I wasted money on trying out on make up. Now I've been using this korean bb cream for the meantime, Etude house but I also didn't like it because it has isopropyl myristate in its content, giving me zits but not as horrible as when I was using Revlon. Did major researches on what make up to buy, finally I decided to get the Make Up Forever HD foundation, but to my disappointment it was pulled out from my country, now I'm contemplating on buying Laura Mercier foundation.

MemberMember
(@geminimier)

Posted : 08/09/2013 3:15 am

I bought Revlon Colorstay about a month ago. I think it works very well for the price. I don't really have acne anymore, just PIH that I need to cover up, and Colorstay does the trick on my more faded marks. On the newer, fresher marks, I usually have to put a little concealer on top of the foundation. The finish is very matte and almost a bit powder-y looking, but not cakey...just a nice finish. It lasts a good while too. Also, it comes in many shades, which is great.

yeah Revlon was great back then, but not now, I guess its quality was downgraded just like VMV's. been loyal to this product since 2006, but later this year, suddenly this product gave me a lot of small bumps on my face and wasted money on trying out their other foundation products. tsk tsk... really made my world turned upside down.

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/09/2013 1:58 pm

I never liked Revlon Colorstay. It felt way too heavy and cakey.

For the time being, I am using Vichy/Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation. Pretty good coverage and it has spf, but it does make your face shiny after a while and it is pricey.

After I finish accutane, I am thinking of switching to either Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation or Make Up Forever (Mat Velvet or HD). Which would be better/provide better coverage?

MemberMember
(@teetee89)

Posted : 09/03/2013 2:36 pm

MAC has actually had more issues than not. They're too thick and heavy for most people with acne or sensitive skins as Britta Peterson above said. Of course it doesn't affect everyone, as everyone is different. But I 100% agree with the CoverFX statement, they're fantastic! And they have acne treatment in their product. I trained in Esthetics with CoverFX and that would definitely be my recommendation to someone suffering from acne. A lot of the drugstore makeups, even Physicians Formula isn't the greatest, but it does work for some people. It just depends I guess! I hope everyone finds what they're looking for. Sephora is a great place to get great skin treatments and make up, so I agree with that too! =)

Make sure to avoid MAC face cosmetics. I have been an avid MAC user until my dermotologist told me to throw it away! Even many of the MAC consultants do not recommend their face products to acne/sensitive skinned people.

I've switched to Cover FX and I LOVE IT! It's full coverage speficially designed for people with acne, so there is absolutely no risk of it breaking you out. I 100% recommend it to anyone looking!

So silly. Just because MAC didn't work for you doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else. There are many MAC products that I absolutely love and have used for years without any special problems.