Notifications
Clear all

The Official Haircare & Styling Thread

MemberMember
(@walkthewire)

Posted : 09/11/2010 8:59 pm

I don't know how many times I have to stress this to people: STOP USING PANTENE!

OK, as of recently, I can say that Pantene has been forgiven. LOL

They have a new line geared toward specific hair types. I have been using Med-to-Thick: Breakage to Strength solutions shampoo and conditioner. I instantly noticed a difference. It seems to keep my hair moisturized, and my hair protected from breakage.

MemberMember
(@buntbean)

Posted : 11/27/2010 7:57 am

I tried something new called clear poreformance. I tried the conditioner because I'm always looking for one that won't break my back out. They have a shampoo, conditioner, and shaving cream all for acne. Unfortunatley, the conditioner did break me out but many people seem to swear by it. There is also a natural brand called Kairos (also made my back break out). All expensive but they do have a return policy. Clear Poreformance is 60 days. All available online only.

MemberMember
(@t1fanyhr1s)

Posted : 05/08/2011 9:09 pm

Making hair healthy is really important of course, so for us to have silky and healthy hair..We must not use artificial products into our hair.Instead use natural shampoo..

MemberMember
(@diareads)

Posted : 05/20/2011 5:33 pm

What would you recommend for very wavy dark hair with a ton of cowlicks on the front and near the ears? It's also quite long and frizzy. I'm having trouble trying to tame the waves into something more beautiful, without harsh products or hairspray?

The more natural the more better PLEASE :)

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 06/07/2011 4:26 am

I have been trying to grow my hair long for years. The mistake I made was dying it and cutting it myself. I used to blow dry and straighten my hair every day and use thick tight hair elastics to secure it. My hair was covered in split ends and had those little breaks all the way down.

About a year ago I did some research and started being good to my hair. I use Treseme Naturals shampoo and conditioner once every other day. I never comb/brush my hair when it's wet as it pulls them out. I blast my hair with cold water at the end of a shower to close the folicles. I use Moroccan Oil when wet and dry to smooth it out. I NEVER blow dry my hair, sometimes I straighten it with GHDs for a special occasion.

The biggest thing that made a difference was to stop using hair elastics. It tears my hair so much, I bought hair sticks from claires and my hair is so much healthier.

Also I bought satin pillows because I heard cotton pillows can tear the shaft.

:)

MemberMember
(@ashala)

Posted : 06/07/2011 6:31 pm

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 06/08/2011 3:35 am

I take hot showers. That is all :)

Has anyone tried to get their hair to self wash? Last year I tried to quit products in a bid for healthier hair, I just washed it in hot water once a week. I didn't last two weeks with it, so greasy and disgusting - I don't know how people do it!

MemberMember
(@vladereign)

Posted : 10/12/2011 9:40 pm

how do you manage white/gray hair? i have black hair, but my problem is my black shiny hair is now turning into white/gray... i am 23 years old...

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 10/12/2011 11:16 pm

Got my hair ombre-d today! :D

My hair is usually, unlike the photo, frizzy, dry, and poofy. HELP!

MemberMember
(@pns2lga)

Posted : 10/13/2011 12:08 pm

I've been attempting the baking soda + ACV method for about a month now, and while it worked wonders at first, lately my hair has been feeling weighed down and somewhat greasy (and takes FOREVER to air-dry; it used to take less than 30 minutes). Not even a blow-dryer could dry that crap. I guess I'm going back to shampoo, but I'm gonna find something sulfate-free and preferably cone-free. Anyone have any recommendations for someone who usually has very porous, oily hair?

MemberMember
(@nikaa)

Posted : 10/14/2011 12:08 pm

I have curly hair also. What I do is every time I shampoo my hair I get most of the water out so its only damp and apply a bit of standard conditioner, work it through my hair, comb my hair with my fingers, and leave it in. I have found that this is AMAZING in defining my curls, taming frizz, and making my curls shine.

If its not a day Im going to shampoo my hair I just wet it, then get most of the water out so its only damp, and do the same thing with the conditioner.

After my hair dries I do not comb it. That only separates my curls and makes my hair look crazy.

I highly recommend this method to anyone without oily hair, and chances are if its curly, its not oily..

Leaving in the conditioner doesnt seem to be so effective for people with oily hair. Ah, who knows.. give it a shot.

EDIT: I let my hair air dry. No dryers, no towels. though Im sure using a hair dryer on a low setting probably wouldnt mess it up that much.

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 11/08/2011 1:24 am

I just got new products a few days ago and I love them so far! It's Joico Smooth Cure shampoo & conditioner, and Redken Polishing Prep spray. My hairdesser uses the Redken product on me all the time and I finally got off my lazy butt to get it. It's a god send!! I have frizzy, colored, and TANGLY hair. If I just look at it after a shower it tangles. Using these 3 products, my hair looks and feels like it did when I was 11! (soft, shiny, part-able, but with nice volume) - I got a deluxe sample size of Joico K-Pak RevitaLuxe, which is supposed to be amazing. I will report on that when I try it. :)

I am happy. So if you have my hair profile, try these products! And the Redken spray is good for anyone with dry and/or tangled hair.

MemberMember
(@pamlaterry)

Posted : 11/16/2011 2:48 am

Good advice about the hair here well Really hairs need a good treatment or whatever that helps to keep the colour in for longer?

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 12/14/2011 12:37 am

I am getting my hair straightened (keratin smoothing), colored, and cut tomorrow. Beyoooond excited.

MemberMember
(@gemmyjunebug)

Posted : 01/13/2012 1:38 pm

Anyone have a favorite dry shampoo they can recommend? I was using Tresemme Dry Shampoo which works awesome...if I could get it out of the can! I think I've bought 4-5 cans over a period of 2 months! Which is crazy! They can nozzle colgs and breaks after 2-3 uses. Completely baffled? To bad, I actually really liked this product.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/18/2012 5:39 am

I think the nozzle clogging up is a problem with dry shampoo in general! I use Batiste for brunettes as it helps hide my grey hair regrowth at the roots.

I'm looking for some advice about hair cair using the regime. At night I have a real problem using the regime and I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong and hope someone can help me out. Basically my question is how do you stop getting creams/lotions/oils getting your hair when you go to sleep? When I wake up in the morning, some of the moisture from my nice clean and moisturised skin has defintely rubbed off on to my hair during the night. I have very dry skin, so I moisturise with oil and lotion, but I don't want to wash my hair every day.

Help!

MemberMember
(@lola-burns)

Posted : 03/06/2012 10:35 am

Anyone have a favorite dry shampoo they can recommend? I was using Tresemme Dry Shampoo which works awesome...if I could get it out of the can! I think I've bought 4-5 cans over a period of 2 months! Which is crazy! They can nozzle colgs and breaks after 2-3 uses. Completely baffled? To bad, I actually really liked this product.

I have this great shirt that says "GET your hair OFF DRUGStore products".

My vote? Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo.

Good advice about the hair here well Really hairs need a good treatment or whatever that helps to keep the colour in for longer?

1. Is your hair tinted, highlighted, bleached? All of the above? Are you using permanent, demi-permanent, semi-permanent, temporary, henna?

2. Do you thermal style your hair? How often?

3. Do you have your color done in a salon or do you use box color at home?

4. What products are you using now?

5. Do you have hard water?

6. Aside from color, do you have any other chemical services done?

7. Are you on a fairly tight budget? Or can you splurge on your hair?

MemberMember
(@lizzlemon)

Posted : 03/06/2012 11:41 am

I have tried a billion different kinds (tresemme, o.blandi, batiste, salon fx, pssst, etc...) of dry shampoos and i freakin' LOVE suave dry shampoo. and it's only like $2.50!

MemberMember
(@razzdazz94)

Posted : 03/06/2012 5:50 pm

I don't actually color my hair, I like it, but I wanted to accent my natural coppery highlights (I have dark brown hair), so I spray diluted hydrogen peroxide in my hair and it brought the highlights out, if anyone cares to try this. :)

It doesn't kill your hair either...yay!

MemberMember
(@aleece)

Posted : 03/19/2012 5:15 pm

I have tried a billion different kinds (tresemme, o.blandi, batiste, salon fx, pssst, etc...) of dry shampoos and i freakin' LOVE suave dry shampoo. and it's only like $2.50!

I agree with this, I'm not much on dry shampoo, but I have tried a couple. I think the Suave one works better than the Tresemme.

MemberMember
(@daryll)

Posted : 06/15/2012 2:27 am

Hellooo I was wondering about what hairstyle I should cut since my hair is practically a bush now.

The thing is I want to cover my forehead because theres acne there and my hair is kind of wavy(?) , it is sort of straight at the back and sides but my fringe will always curl to one side , no matter how long my fringe grows it never goes past my eyesbrows

Oh er by the way I am a guy.

MemberMember
(@suko)

Posted : 01/17/2013 8:52 am

The biggest issue with hair is balding. I heard that Accutane and some skin related problems can be related to hair issues such as male pattern baldness. I'm yet to see if it is true that Accutane speeds up hair loss in men. Currently saving up for a hair transplant, I don't want to live as a bald man :(

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 02/12/2013 11:18 am

Coconut oil makes a great hot oil treatment before shampooing. Heat it up in a pan before putting it on your hair in liberal amounts (but don't boil it) then wrap your hair up in a towel for an hour or two. Make sure to wash your hair twice after doing this though. Also, a drop of jojoba oil before blow drying (only a drop though, it's easy to over do it) makes hair very shiny. Nightly scalp massages and brushing your hair twice a day also make it grow faster, especially if you tip your head upside down every night and brush the underside of your hair too.