Notifications
Clear all

Copper fiber pillowcase reduces wrinkles

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 10/23/2009 3:46 pm

I bought one of these about 9 months ago. According to the recent study, sleeping on a copper fiber pillowcase really does reduce wrinkles and improve skin appearance. The only research that was available before this were the clinical trials done by the company that makes the pillowcases. Nice to see additional confirmation from this new study!

Improvement of facial skin characteristics using copper oxide containing pillowcases: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel, randomized study

Authors: Borkow, G.1; Gabbay, J.1; Lyakhovitsky, A.2; Huszar, M.3

Source: International Journal of Cosmetic Science, Volume 31, Number 6, December 2009 , pp. 437-443(7)

Abstract:

Synopsis

Copper plays a key role in several processes of skin formation and regeneration. Copper has been shown to be absorbed through intact skin. We hypothesized that sleeping on fabrics containing copper-impregnated fibres would have a positive cosmetic effect on the skin. The aim of this study was to confirm our hypothesis. A 4-week, double blind, parallel, randomized study was carried out in which 57 volunteers aged 40-60ayears used either copper oxide containing pillowcases (0.4% weight/weight) or control pillowcases not containing copper. Photographs were taken by a professional photographer of each participant at the beginning of the study and at 2 and 4aweeks after the commencement of the study. Two expert graders (a dermatologist and a cosmetologist) evaluated the pictures for the effect on several cosmetic facial skin characteristics. The copper-containing pillowcases had a positive effect for the following facial characteristics: reduction of wrinkles (Pa<a0.001) and crow's feet/fine lines (Pa<a0.001) and improvement of general appearance (Pa<a0.001) at both 2 and 4aweeks. The differences were statistically significant (Wilcoxon scores and chi-squared tests). Consistent sleeping for 4aweeks on copper oxide containing pillowcases caused a significant reduction in the appearance of facial wrinkles and crow's feet/fine lines and significant improvement in the appearance of facial skin. In most trial participants, this effect was already noticeable within 2aweeks of using the copper oxide containing pillowcases.

MemberMember
(@raimundo)

Posted : 10/23/2009 5:35 pm

Thats sounds interesting! How much did this copper pillowcase cost?

I know they make a dandruff hair brush that has copper in it. Looks like an ordinary hair brush, but i think it had like copper tips and it helped get rid of flakes.

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 10/23/2009 6:15 pm

Thats sounds interesting! How much did this copper pillowcase cost?

I know they make a dandruff hair brush that has copper in it. Looks like an ordinary hair brush, but i think it had like copper tips and it helped get rid of flakes.

I don't remember what I paid for it - I do remember it was on the pricey side though. A company called Cupron makes them, they have a website with the pillowcases and some other products.

Its also really nice to sleep on. Its a really soft, silky material.

MemberMember
(@d_lightful)

Posted : 10/23/2009 6:45 pm

I'd be interested to know if there could be any side affects from sleeping on it.

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 10/23/2009 7:51 pm

I'd be interested to know if there could be any side affects from sleeping on it.

None were reported in the study - it was only a short study trial though. I haven't experienced any side effects myself.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/25/2009 7:00 am

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/17/2014 6:06 am

Illuminage makes one, Nordstrom's $60 . Curious...