Notifications
Clear all

The Official Haircare & Styling Thread

MemberMember
(@jai)

Posted : 04/09/2009 4:38 pm

chantay

let's see.....well i recently began a new regimen to enhance my curlies and i love it...the regimen calls for NO SILICONES and NO SULFATES (which tend to be in most shampoos) for cleansing...you cleanse but with a conditioner that has no silicones. if you wanna know more, go to the Naturally Curly website and check out the CG routine aka no-poo... i absolutely it...my hair is softer, silkier, and incredibly moisturized....not to mention how fabo my hair is thanks to the regimen.....

as for products...here's my list! - all are cone & sulfate free.....

conditioners for co-washing (cleansing)- Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut - cone free, cheap, and smells divine!

rinse out conditioners - Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm (exact same thing as Biolage but for like $6)

deep conditioners - Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea and Mango Butter - BEST DT for less than $3, another one is Sally's GVP K-Pak (same thing as Joico K-Pak but for like $8 or $10 - the actual K-Pak is 3x that much)

leave-in conditioner - Kinky-Curly Knot Today - this is one the pricier side but so worth it...totally organic and smells heavenly....i'd eat it if i could :P

styling products - Herbal Essences Set Me Up Mousse - by far the BEST cone-free mousse i've tried...wish the bottle was bigger so it'll last longer but for $4 i wont complain...

Kinky Curly Curling Custard (aka KCCC) - another pricey one but HOT DAMN...i love this stuff.....a jar is $35 but sooo worth if it u wish to embrace ur curls...again, organic, smells deeeelish, but more than anything, this thing gives my hair SHINE SHINE and more SHINE.....and even tho its a bit pricey, a little bit goes a long way....i've had my jar for almost six months and have only used a 1/4 of it.....totally worth the money....

styling tools......again, curl friendly....

wide tooth comb - total necessity for curlies...helps to keep the hair intact and lessens the chance of breakage from pulling....

microfiber towels and cotton t-shirts - i used both the towels and tees for removing excess water and i use the tee for plopping. it's a styling method used to further enhance the curlies...

duckbill clips - place them on the crown while drying - gives major lift in the crown area...sumthin most curlies struggle with...

finger diffuser - OH MY GOD!!!! best invention EVER... up until recently, i never bothered and would let my hair air dry, but i decided to give the diffuser a try and holy curls....the curls never looked better....my hair in my avatar pic is a result of the regimen and the diffuser.

i don't use hairspray anymore and i stopped coloring my hair almost 2 years ago....

great idea Antonia..... <3

MemberMember
(@turtle9748)

Posted : 04/09/2009 5:14 pm

i don't know how well that sally k-pak works, but the joico k-pak is a TOTAL waste of money.

MemberMember
(@jai)

Posted : 04/09/2009 6:03 pm

i don't know how well that sally k-pak works, but the joico k-pak is a TOTAL waste of money.

i like it but i prefer the Lustrasilk......i even use it to scrunch out the crunch..

MemberMember
(@cubos)

Posted : 04/09/2009 6:20 pm

I'm cutting all my hair off tomorrow, it's gonna be weirrrd.

MemberMember
(@turtle9748)

Posted : 04/09/2009 6:51 pm

I'm cutting all my hair off tomorrow, it's gonna be weirrrd.

how are you getting it cut. and pics!

MemberMember
(@walkthewire)

Posted : 04/10/2009 1:19 am

JAI! I'm so glad you're contributing. Everyone is contributing some great tips!

MemberMember
(@walkthewire)

Posted : 04/12/2009 11:16 pm

Tea Tree FTW!

MemberMember
(@rob2686)

Posted : 04/13/2009 2:36 pm

Tea Tree FTW!

How do you apply tea tree oil? Thanks for making this thread, I've used a few tips and my hair looks better already. :)

Anyone know of any supplements?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 04/13/2009 3:05 pm

I like olive oil weekly. I rinse it off with warm water but enough stays in the hair that it feels so very soft and conditioned. I also don't wash my hair but every two or three days. A final rinse with cold water seems to make it shinier. Could be my imagination. :)

MemberMember
(@walkthewire)

Posted : 04/13/2009 11:08 pm

Tea Tree FTW!

How do you apply tea tree oil? Thanks for making this thread, I've used a few tips and my hair looks better already. :)

Anyone know of any supplements?

You can get it at a health food store as an essential oil. You would just dilute in water and add to your favorite shampoo or conditioner. It has great benefits. Especially if you need a cooling effect to help irritated skin.

I use the Tea Tree shampoo that I listed on page 1, and it really calms my scalp. My niece uses Tea Tree Oil for dry, irritated skin, and it really helps.

I like olive oil weekly. I rinse it off with warm water but enough stays in the hair that it feels so very soft and conditioned. I also don't wash my hair but every two or three days. A final rinse with cold water seems to make it shinier. Could be my imagination. :)

Your hair is gorgeous, Wynne! You're right about washing with cold water. It helps with shine. Plus, washing periodically and using olive oil help to retain your color.

I love rinsing with cold water because it calms any scalp irritation.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 04/14/2009 7:43 am

Check: continue olive oil, continue cold water rinses. :D

Great thread, Mr. Wire.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/14/2009 7:53 am

Wynne, I love your hair! I agree, its gorgeous! Is your hair naturally wavy and omg, youre a natural redhead, I didnt know that

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 04/14/2009 8:03 am

Wynne, I love your hair! I agree, its gorgeous! Is your hair naturally wavy and omg, youre a natural redhead, I didnt know that

Thanks! I grew it myself! That is colored hair. ;) My hair is naturally blonde.

It's naturally wavy.

I've seen pics of your hair and it looks so very shiny and healthy.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/14/2009 8:36 am

Thanks! I grew it myself! That is colored hair. ;) My hair is naturally blonde.

It's naturally wavy.

I've seen pics of your hair and it looks so very shiny and healthy.

Did you really? You fooled me lol Your hair is naturally blonde. Wow, it looks naturally red. You or your hair stylist did an excellent job. I hate when the roots show. Yours dont show whatsoever.

Thank you! My hair is also highlighted. My natural hair color is light brown. Although, I had blonde hair up until the age of nine and it grew darker :(

MemberMember
(@jai)

Posted : 04/14/2009 5:53 pm

oh and Apple Cider Vinegar rinses FTW!

MemberMember
(@walkthewire)

Posted : 04/16/2009 3:47 am

Ooo I've never tried that! What are the benefits of apple cider vinegar, besides for skin? I've heard some pros and cons. What's your regimen for an apple cider vinegar rinse, Jen?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 04/16/2009 3:53 am

I did a few ACV rinses primarily to remove build up of styling products. I don't know why others use them, but that's why I did.

MemberMember
(@mm-brian)

Posted : 04/16/2009 12:53 pm

Ooo I've never tried that! What are the benefits of apple cider vinegar, besides for skin? I've heard some pros and cons. What's your regimen for an apple cider vinegar rinse, Jen?

I'm curious about this too!

MemberMember
(@jai)

Posted : 04/16/2009 4:24 pm

i absolutely ACV rinses....the main benefit is to remove product buildup from your hair. it's also good for closing down the hair cuticle, which helps impart shine, strength, and overall manageability to the hair....it's also good for treating dry scalp and/or dandruff..i prefer tea tree oil, but ACV does the job too....

i do an ACV rinse weekly, right before i do my weekly deep conditioning treatment....i mix 1 tbsp ACV w/1 cup of warm water before i get in the shower...once i'm in, co-wash so i can cleanse my hair then do the ACV rinse, making sure i coat all of myhair and then i do some mild manual friction to make sure the rinse is evenly distributed....then rinse and proceed to the DT.

i highly recommend it, especially if you use alot of styling products (which i do). it makes a world of difference....

Here is a good website to check out about the benefits of ACV......

MemberMember
(@aghaigh-dearg)

Posted : 04/17/2009 2:17 pm

Ok oh wise one, I got a question for you. :D

Unbelieavable fine flat hair, how do I get a bit of volume in it? What sorta product? Me is clueless.

The shampoo I love is Andrew Colligne for blonde, just makes my hair look fab. love it love it love it.

You could try this regimen: http://www.paulmitchell.com/Products/PaulM.../ExtraBody.aspx

Or instead of having to try a new shampoo/conditioning process, you could just get a really good mousse. I recommend http://www.tresemme.com/volume/products/we...ody-mousse.aspx

You'd put the mouse in your hair, and comb through after showering when hair is still damp. Wrap in a towel, loosely. Then, on a low-heat setting, flip hair forward and blow dry in sections.

Im fairly certain your a genius! Just did my hair and took your advice and its so full and bouncy and non flat!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@walkthewire)

Posted : 04/17/2009 9:25 pm

Thanks, Jai!

Aghaigh Dearg: Aw, I'm glad it helped!

MemberMember
(@walkthewire)

Posted : 05/03/2009 2:44 am

Embrace a bad hair day!

So, I got some product samples recently. They're from the Phyto line. It's really popular, and extremely expensive. I went to eBay and won a few samples for REALLY cheap.

Anyhow...one was the Phytodefrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm. Another was a leave-in conditioner, and another was something for color-treated hair (doesn't really apply to me since I don't dye my hair, but thought my mom would like it).

I tried the first two, but didn't notice a difference. It says to use the conditioning balm once every two shampoos, so I'm assuming once every two days or so depending on how often you shampoo; it's a really clear gel -based solution. In my opinion, unless you have really fine hair or just have a mild case of frizziness, I wouldn't recommend spending a bunch of money on something like this.

A different, inexspesive brand for frizz control products is a better way to go, imo. Or even just a slight bit of hairspray. I know sometimes you have to buy to try, but don't waste your money on this stuff unless you plan to invest in something more durable.

MemberMember
(@walkthewire)

Posted : 05/05/2009 8:49 pm

So, I've been using Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo and Conditioner.

It's a natural shampoo from a line that uses vegetable oil, natural ingredients, and is also sulfate-free. It's really great, I must say. It really lathers well, and it's not the type of lather that damages your hair like sulfates do. The shampoo helps to remove build-up quickly and consistently. The conditioner is really thick; my hair absorbs it and it really helps smooth and hydrate my hair.

I had used it a month and a half ago, but didn't really like it at first. However, I've been using it again and it's really good. I will use it more since it's summertime almost and my hair tends to get really dry and prone to weathering because of the hot weather.

I'd totally recommend it. You can find this type and others at Walmart, Walgreens, so on and so forth. It's about $8 or so, but worth it, I say. I don't have any complaints.

MemberMember
(@d_lightful)

Posted : 05/06/2009 8:37 pm

I tried Ojon recently. It's supposed make your hair fuller and thicker. Meh. All I can say is that I'm glad I only got a sample.

MemberMember
(@bronzeneo)

Posted : 05/13/2009 7:02 am

Hey, thought I'd add what works for me:

Herbal essences shampoo and conditioners for coloured hair or the dry hair (they both smell that good, if it wasnt lethal, i'd probably drink them as a protein shake for my insides instead of the outide).

My hairdresser recommended, and I've only just tried tonight - keune thermal protector and keune leave-in hair repair because i've done some SERIOUS damage to my hair and have had to have 2 inches of hard-earned growth taken off (not happy).

I use kms silksheen as a spray on shine-y type thingo and toni and guy dry shampoo for the days when a gal just CBF.

Redken has a lot of amazing products. For those girls who colour their hair A LOT and are suffering from it, their anti-snap stuff is like greasey food after a nasty bender - its THAT good.

Also, as a hint for people with acne, especially on their back, a hairdresser once asked me if when im in the shower how much conditioner did i use, how long did I leave it on and when my hair was long, did it rest on my back whilst i did other shower type things. If you use too much conditioner or leave it in you hair too long, or have long hair, and it drips down your back, it can be a huge cause of bacne - which if you think about sometimes after you rinse your conditioner out and feel the back of your neck or shoulders - does it feel slimey? Would you rest it on your face for as long as you let it rest on your back?

It made sense to me, so I stopped doing it and lo-and-behold, much less bacne.

End of rant :)