Notifications
Clear all

When does Spironolactone start to work?

MemberMember
(@rachel2445)

Posted : 09/23/2017 9:32 pm

So I'm new to spiro. I'm 19 and I've had acne since I hit puberty in like 5/6th grade. I've always played sports so my mom and I figured it was due to exercise and my face getting sweaty a lot, but I'm in college now and don't play anymore. In high school I was on accutane for 7 months, and my face was clear. I went to college and was there for a month or two before my skin started to go "back to normal" in terms of oiliness so I started topical antibiotics. By the spring it became more of a problem so I started an oral antibiotic as well. I went back to my derm and she told me that I could try spiro. I've been on 25mg a day since July 20 and I go back in a month to hopefully up my dosage. My skin seems to get a little better and then breakout bad again. Right now I've had the worst breakout so far, with acne on my forehead and temples and upper cheeks which I haven't had in a long time. When should i start to see results? I'm assuming my acne is hormonal since accutane didn't keep it away and I tend to always breakout mostly before my period and the week after. Acne is so bad for my self esteem, I've tried so many things and the fact that accutane didn't work for me makes me really hope it's a hormonal problem and this will be my solution. If anyone could share their experiences that would be great!

MemberMember
(@flyingplanet)

Posted : 09/24/2017 5:21 pm

I was on spironolactone because they thought it was hormonal for me and it didn't work. They kept upping my dosage until it was too high for me and it ended up dramatically dropping my blood pressure, giving me dizzy spells. If 25mg was going to work, it would have worked by now.  Hopefully increasing the dosage will help. If not, try changing your diet. Dairy and animal products have a LOT of hormones that is known to cause acne. Try switching to a plant-based diet for a few weeks and see how it changes your skin :)